PDA

View Full Version : The real player of the decade is Duncan not Kobe

Rapper
12-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Dude tell me you guys agree with me at this point man come on, where the hell is the result based on?? kobe doesn't deserves it. Shaq was the top dog of that lakers who won the 2000-2002 championships ,a guy like kobe can never be appreciated. ever and never

http://www.news365.com.cn/wxpd/ty/lqgy/200805/W020080524432541403100.jpg

The player of the decade should possess these below 11 things,the requirements are as follow:

1 The first pick of the NBA draft

2 Won the rookie of the year

3 At least named 2 time MVPs of seasons

4 Required possessing at least 4 rings

5 2 time Final mvps or above is necessary

6 1 time all star game MVP

7 10 time above all star starting appearances

8 10 time above all nba team

9 10 time above all nba defensive team

10 Leading his team to be ranking the 1st - 3rd place in the conference every season

11 No gossip around his life which means a perfect role model to the public

timtonymanu
12-22-2009, 01:33 AM
It's all about popularity.

duncan228
12-22-2009, 01:36 AM
SI.com picked Duncan.

PLAYER OF THE DECADE: Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs
The greatest power forward in NBA history, Duncan was the reason San Antonio became the only team to make the playoffs every year of the decade. He was the most valuable team player of his era, an active defender who chased pick-and-rolls out to the three-point line and yet hustled back to protect the rim and control the boards. Offensively, the Spurs played through him as a passer in the post, and his dependable mid-range jumper off the backboard will be part of his highlight reel when he checks into Springfield.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142010

Rapper
12-22-2009, 01:40 AM
SI.com picked Duncan.

PLAYER OF THE DECADE: Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs
The greatest power forward in NBA history, Duncan was the reason San Antonio became the only team to make the playoffs every year of the decade. He was the most valuable team player of his era, an active defender who chased pick-and-rolls out to the three-point line and yet hustled back to protect the rim and control the boards. Offensively, the Spurs played through him as a passer in the post, and his dependable mid-range jumper off the backboard will be part of his highlight reel when he checks into Springfield.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142010

He's right

Duncan is our man and 228, don't you think Duncan deserves it more than Kobe?

the crimson blur
12-22-2009, 01:53 AM
Look at the ESPN frontpage. There are two teams on rotation, constantly. The Lakers and the Cavs. They admit in their articles that Kobe isn't the "player of the decade" as they call him because he was the better player, but because he had more headline stories, was more interesting to them, and was more glamorous. In other words, they picked him because he is a Laker.

Take what these guys say worth a grain a salt. And unfortunately, due to the bandwagon nature of fans in pro sports, expect poll results to be similarly skewed. Kobe will win because there are more Laker fans than there are fans of every other team combined.

Doesn't matter though. Duncan is the best and no one else is close. Kobe isn't even second.

Rapper
12-22-2009, 01:55 AM
L Duncan is the best and no one else is close. Kobe isn't even second.

Well said very well said

Duncan is making his career count day after day

Allanon
12-22-2009, 02:27 AM
Kobe being the player of the Decade is deserving.
Duncan being the player of the Decade is deserving.

Even Shaq being the player of the Decade would have been deserving.

All 3 of them shaped the 2000's, I don't have a problem with any of those 3 being the Player of the Decade.

Man In Black
12-22-2009, 02:37 AM

All 3 of them shaped the 2000's, I don't have a problem with any of those 3 being the Player of the Decade.

But if you had to choose based on overall body of work, WHO DO YOU CHOOSE and why?

dbreiden83080
12-22-2009, 02:56 AM
ESPN sucks the dick of what is popular at the moment.. As far as they are concerned Lebron is already as great as Jordan and Kobe will be equal to him once he wins number 5. They are clueless..

dbreiden83080
12-22-2009, 02:58 AM

Duncan has done far more with far less around him, that can't even be argued. Duncan and Shaq together in their primes for 6 or 7 years would have toyed with the opposition and won it all every year..

sa_kid20
12-22-2009, 03:03 AM
ESPN sucks the dick of what is popular at the moment.. As far as they are concerned Lebron is already as great as Jordan and Kobe will be equal to him once he wins number 5. They are clueless..

It's definitely about who's popular right now and apparently a lot of fans feel the same way. ESPN had a poll on Player of the Decade and LeBron actually had more votes than Shaq :lol

spurs10
12-22-2009, 03:09 AM
Imagine, ESPN picked Kobe because he had "more headline stories". He hadn't won since Shaq left until this year, so what could these stories possibly be about? Oh yeah, I forgot....if that's ESPN's idea of "glamorous" and "interesting" then we know all we need to know about the merit of anything they have to say. At least we don't have to see the sorry s.o.b. in junk food commercials anymore. I'll stick with S.I..

Seventyniner
12-22-2009, 09:31 AM
I'd pick Duncan too. Honestly, though, it's very close.

UnWantedTheory
12-22-2009, 03:28 PM
^^^ I dont see how.

UnWantedTheory
12-22-2009, 03:31 PM
It is not close. Kobe was not the best player on his team until Shaq left, let alone the player of the decade.

He is a great player today...but he wasnt the entire decade. Duncan was and is.

Chillen
12-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Tim Duncan is the games greatest player of this decade with Shaq at #2 imo. However Kobe is popular, an MJ like sensation and Duncan is the big fundamental. Alot of people just don't appreciate Duncan's game enough because what he does doesn't make the ESPN highlights all the time. His Spurs team made the playoffs every year, won 3 NBA titles in 2003, 2005, 2007, he won 2 MVP awards, 2 Finals MVP's, and his Spurs teams competed hard year in and year out the whole decade. He also has battled with some injurys but came back strong.

People will say it's Kobe, but Tim Duncan is this decades greatest NBA player.

draft87
12-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Dude tell me you guys agree with me at this point man come on, where the hell is the result based on?? kobe doesn't deserves it. Shaq was the top dog of that lakers who won the 2000-2002 championships ,a guy like kobe can never be appreciated. ever and never

The player of the decade should possess these below 11 things,the requirements are as follow:

10 Leading his team to be ranking the 1st - 3rd place in the conference every season

What a chuckle! Come on, people. Seriously, why does it surprise you that NBA.com(a biased representation of the league, essentially an advertisement) gives props to Kobe Bryant, the big international jersey salesman? And why is NBA.com's opinion so important to we have to spend all this time getting our panties in a twist that Tim Duncan isn't the world's favorite basketball personality?

True or False, the NBA is losing money and that makes the salary cap go down.

True or False, the NBA values international marketing and revenue.

True or False, Kobe Bryant generates more out of market dollars than Tim Duncan.

True or False, the Spurs/Cavs series was the lowest rated NBA Finals in x(a lot) years.

True or False, the Lakers/Celtics Finals was the highest rated series in x(a lot) years.

True or False, the world is a lot bigger than San Antonio.

True or False, if the salary cap goes up the Spurs will have more room to spend building another championship that if won could prove that the San Antonio Spurs are the best franchise in professional sports.

Come on people, seriously this is getting tired. Look at the bigger picture. The NBA is a business. That is a fact. It doesn't mean that Kobe is better than TD. It simply means that they have interests beyond your local fan's world. And it shouldn't matter to you that someone else likes Kobe Bryant and the Lakers. You like Tim Duncan and the Spurs and that's all that should matter to you. The league needs to make money. They are not going to make money when the whole WORLD loves Kobe Bryant(look at his international merchandise sales and compare it to Tim Duncan) and they publish a big tribute to Tim Duncan.

The rest of the world doesn't live in San Antonio. The rest of the world doesn't LOVE basketball. Most people just like to cheer for 'the winner'. Pedestrian fans with casual interests like to see dunks and 3pt shots. They like to watch individual success. How many casual fans who tune in just for the playoffs and finals actually can name the starting 5 on the Los Angeles Lakers? They don't care about basketball, they admire individuals. The Spurs have always been about team success. THIS REALLY SHOULDN'T SURPRISE YOU. The San Antonio Spurs are admired and respected by the 'real' journalistic world of sports. Those journalists and analysts that look at THE GAME(not the highlights) respect the Spurs as being on a higher level or integrity. Have you noticed the other publications that name San Antonio as the franchise of the decade?

From here on get it through your head these (unfortunate)truths. Let David Stern hype Kobe Bryant. It can actually benefit the Spurs if the hype keeps money coming into the league. We've always faced a limited budget due to our small market. Only recently did we decide to spend tax dollars in order to save the end of Duncan's career. Jefferson's contract put us in a bind financially and the salary cap is due to decrease even more next year. Looking at the bigger picture you should appreciate the league doing whatever it can to keep people buying jerseys, tickets, league pass, etc. Putting Kobe Bryant in the headlines of The Decade is aiming for some random person in Europe or China to stay interested in the league. A person who probably couldn't find San Antonio on a map shouldn't matter to you. Just hope that they're watching the international broadcast when the Spurs beat the Lakers!

and btw the 11 requirements for Player of the Decade are a laugh. That's just as biased as NBA.com. "How do I set a standard so that only the person I want to win can win"

-insert career milestones of Tim Duncan, so what if I make it so that no other decade can have a Player of the Decade-

let's call it Popaganda

jdev82
12-22-2009, 04:04 PM

if i have to tell you to stop posting even one more time, thats your first of three warnings.

Rapper
12-23-2009, 12:41 AM
What a chuckle! Come on, people. Seriously, why does it surprise you that NBA.com(a biased representation of the league, essentially an advertisement) gives props to Kobe Bryant, the big international jersey salesman? And why is NBA.com's opinion so important to we have to spend all this time getting our panties in a twist that Tim Duncan isn't the world's favorite basketball personality?

True or False, the NBA is losing money and that makes the salary cap go down.

True or False, the NBA values international marketing and revenue.

True or False, Kobe Bryant generates more out of market dollars than Tim Duncan.

True or False, the Spurs/Cavs series was the lowest rated NBA Finals in x(a lot) years.

True or False, the Lakers/Celtics Finals was the highest rated series in x(a lot) years.

True or False, the world is a lot bigger than San Antonio.

True or False, if the salary cap goes up the Spurs will have more room to spend building another championship that if won could prove that the San Antonio Spurs are the best franchise in professional sports.

Come on people, seriously this is getting tired. Look at the bigger picture. The NBA is a business. That is a fact. It doesn't mean that Kobe is better than TD. It simply means that they have interests beyond your local fan's world. And it shouldn't matter to you that someone else likes Kobe Bryant and the Lakers. You like Tim Duncan and the Spurs and that's all that should matter to you. The league needs to make money. They are not going to make money when the whole WORLD loves Kobe Bryant(look at his international merchandise sales and compare it to Tim Duncan) and they publish a big tribute to Tim Duncan.

The rest of the world doesn't live in San Antonio. The rest of the world doesn't LOVE basketball. Most people just like to cheer for 'the winner'. Pedestrian fans with casual interests like to see dunks and 3pt shots. They like to watch individual success. How many casual fans who tune in just for the playoffs and finals actually can name the starting 5 on the Los Angeles Lakers? They don't care about basketball, they admire individuals. The Spurs have always been about team success. THIS REALLY SHOULDN'T SURPRISE YOU. The San Antonio Spurs are admired and respected by the 'real' journalistic world of sports. Those journalists and analysts that look at THE GAME(not the highlights) respect the Spurs as being on a higher level or integrity. Have you noticed the other publications that name San Antonio as the franchise of the decade?

From here on get it through your head these (unfortunate)truths. Let David Stern hype Kobe Bryant. It can actually benefit the Spurs if the hype keeps money coming into the league. We've always faced a limited budget due to our small market. Only recently did we decide to spend tax dollars in order to save the end of Duncan's career. Jefferson's contract put us in a bind financially and the salary cap is due to decrease even more next year. Looking at the bigger picture you should appreciate the league doing whatever it can to keep people buying jerseys, tickets, league pass, etc. Putting Kobe Bryant in the headlines of The Decade is aiming for some random person in Europe or China to stay interested in the league. A person who probably couldn't find San Antonio on a map shouldn't matter to you. Just hope that they're watching the international broadcast when the Spurs beat the Lakers!

and btw the 11 requirements for Player of the Decade are a laugh. That's just as biased as NBA.com. "How do I set a standard so that only the person I want to win can win"

-insert career milestones of Tim Duncan, so what if I make it so that no other decade can have a Player of the Decade-

let's call it Popaganda

Because NBA.com is the official

Sean Cagney
12-23-2009, 01:19 AM
It's definitely about who's popular right now and apparently a lot of fans feel the same way. ESPN had a poll on Player of the Decade and LeBron actually had more votes than Shaq :lol

Thats sad, I would bet it's the kids nowadays who have seen just Bron and mostly Kobe and thats their two! The media hypes them up so much it's not a wonder they got so many votes. Shaq is actually slept on now, his numbers in those finals were just rediculous! He was the most feared player for a few years bar none! Duncan is #1 to me, Shaq has to be up there too.

duncan228
12-23-2009, 02:19 AM
Because NBA.com is the official

The article on NBA.com that has Kobe as the Player of the decade was written by David Aldridge from TNT. It's his opinion.

Longtime NBA reporter and columnist David Aldridge is an analyst for TNT.

The views on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of the NBA, its clubs or Turner Broadcasting.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/12/21/morning.tip/index.html#