PDA

View Full Version : If you were an owner...

LnGrrrR
12-22-2009, 03:37 AM
What type of team would you try to build?

A run n gun team to fill the stands and make you money? A defensive team that could win the title, but might be boring and drive away fans? Would you want your team to rain threes or back in into the paint?

Personally, I'd emphasive one on one defense, crisp passing and a strong power forward role. I'd try to play slow tempo game, and hope that I've got some good offensive rebounders as well.

milkshakeballa
12-22-2009, 04:17 AM

A run n gun team to fill the stands and make you money? A defensive team that could win the title, but might be boring and drive away fans? Would you want your team to rain threes or back in into the paint?

Personally, I'd emphasive one on one defense, crisp passing and a strong power forward role. I'd try to play slow tempo game, and hope that I've got some good offensive rebounders as well.

id run it like jerry buss runs the lakers and not run it liek your shitty fukin franchise

Mavs_man_41
12-22-2009, 04:46 AM
17 rings, faggot

don't talk back to daddy

LnGrrrR
12-22-2009, 04:50 AM
id run it like the train my boyfriend and his three friends ran on me last night

fify

Muser
12-22-2009, 05:44 AM
I'd do whatever it takes to win.

Chieflion
12-22-2009, 05:47 AM
Try to build a winner while lining up my own pocket. Winning gets you fans, although bandwagon. But who cares as long as the franchise rakes in the dough and the pockets are filled up. The star of the team has to be marketable to get people to watch the team though, then the franchise gets attention and the cash.

jacobdrj
12-22-2009, 06:56 AM

Yeah, basically. The Pittsburgh Steelers of basketball...
But it depends on the city too. Some teams style resonate better with some areas more than others.

pauls931
12-22-2009, 08:18 AM
For a long time believe it or not, the Clippers were the most profitable franchise, at least taking endorsements and other crap out of the picture. They would constantly get high draft picks, not pay them, suck , watch them leave, get new high picks. Thanks to being in LA and playing good teams, they'd get a crowd. They've abused the system the most by far.

But if you want to make money and get high picks, run your team like the clippers.

Fun n Gun
12-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Take a wild guess.

Double-Up
12-22-2009, 12:02 PM
If I'm an owner I want to win it all which would mean I need an allstar SG and a superstar PF or Center then add role players from there. No Run N Gun but a good coach like Adelman who knows uptempo/halfcourt offense and defense which would work great for my team.

ElNono
12-22-2009, 12:10 PM
I would be the star of the franchise. I would talk shit about the refs, then match the fines with donations to charity. I would make Stern laugh all day and night by requesting to replay the end of a questionable game we lost. I would have a blog. I would look up to the football team owner of my city and really wish I could be just like him. I would be a true Maverick...

Culburn369
12-22-2009, 12:26 PM
I'd hit the ground running, burn off one to get Media to notice and get off my back once they notice. Then I'd pass the torch twixt the scared & the driven and bear witness as a diseased simian is slaughtered. Then I'd purchase a fine rug, plow some trim and do it all again (bear witness as a diseased simian is checked for pulse, and slaughtered nonetheless). Then I'd put my rug below my nose, slip into a 7/11 and see what "it" looks like after Hef shot "it." Then I'd hook up with that Jew Sterling and build a legal printing press for $100 bills. Then I clear the room, buy a Daddy and burn off three in-a-row before they could get it stopped. Then I'd turn the children loose and garner a Bynum, a Jackson and a Gasol. Then I'd send self same children to the dais to shove the shit sandwich down the doubters pie holes. Then I'd get my Jew tailor to concoct a X Cap so that Red would die all over again.

lefty
12-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Well.......

The Spurs in 2005 showed that it was possible to run'n'gun (as they did vs the Suns in the WCF) and play boring defensive basketball (vs Pistons)

LnGrrrR
12-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Yeah, basically. The Pittsburgh Steelers of basketball...
But it depends on the city too. Some teams style resonate better with some areas more than others.

True that. I think for that reason I wouldn't want to be in a large area... The fans are usually demanding there. I'd look for a good sized metropolitan area that isn't dominated by other sports teams...

Maybe San Diego... I certainly wouldn't mind living there anyways. I'd say Charlotte but they already proved they can't support a team. Perhaps Kansas City?

hater
12-22-2009, 01:28 PM
you gotta play whatever cards you get dealt.

no owner has this type of choice

Goran Dragic
12-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Well.......

The Spurs in 2005 showed that it was possible to run'n'gun (as they did vs the Suns in the WCF) and play boring defensive basketball (vs Pistons)

They didn't "run'n'gun" against the Suns at all. They turned the Suns into a one man show with Amare and completely negated one of the most notable run'n'gun system players in recent history (Shawn Marion).

Personally, I'd run it with the goal to win a championship.

Offensively, it'd be a team oriented offense that emphasized proper spacing and making the extra pass. To keep it realistic, I'm going to assume I don't have a Lebron or Kobe to carry my offense. My two leading scorers would be the SG and PF (again being realistic, there's no such thing as a dominant C anymore), both would average roughly 20 PPG. The SG would be the one making the plays on offense and would be the late game decision maker. My SF would play a lesser role than the SG and PF as long, lanky, versatile player, who could hit open 3's, move well without the ball in his hands, but also would need to be able to create for himself/others when given a favorable matchup. PG would be a role player position who would also need to move well without the ball and hit open threes. C would be a big body who'd set screens. My 6th man would be a combo guard who was extremely dangerous as a scorer against the 2nd unit on other teams.

Defense would be the emphasis. The SF would be the lock down defender. The SG would also be a good defender who was good at help D and roaming D when he was guarding a less than average offensive player. One PG I'd have would be a big PG to use against guys like Billups and Kidd, while the other would be a speedy defender for guys like CP3. The PF would need to be a stud pick and roll/help defender while the C would be a big body that hustled and could always guard the other team's best big man. Here's my ideal, semi-realistic team:

Eric Maynor - Derek Fisher (younger)
Joe Johnson - Jamal Crawford
Stephen Jackson - Jared Dudley
Chris Bosh - Brandon Bass
Kendrick Perkins - Marcin Gortat

JoeTait75
12-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Maybe San Diego... I certainly wouldn't mind living there anyways. I'd say Charlotte but they already proved they can't support a team. Perhaps Kansas City?

I don't know about putting a team in a market where the NBA already failed, although it could very well work in Kansas City, with the Royals and Chiefs down and no other NBA teams within 200 miles.

I'd look for either a warm-weather market (not southern California) or a mid-sized city where there are no other big-league teams. Boise, Albuquerque and Birmingham come to mind.

23LeBronJames23
12-22-2009, 01:42 PM
I'd do whatever it takes to win.

Goran Dragic
12-22-2009, 03:36 PM
I don't know about putting a team in a market where the NBA already failed, although it could very well work in Kansas City, with the Royals and Chiefs down and no other NBA teams within 200 miles.

I'd look for either a warm-weather market (not southern California) or a mid-sized city where there are no other big-league teams. Boise, Albuquerque and Birmingham come to mind.

Seattle is the no brainer pick with me.

DJB
12-22-2009, 04:22 PM
you gotta play whatever cards you get dealt.

no owner has this type of choice

Unless you're the NY Yankees of basketball like the Lakers, and you can have anybody you want.

JoeTait75
12-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Seattle is the no brainer pick with me.

You're right. I completely forgot about Seattle.

BadOdor
12-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Unless you're the NY Yankees of basketball like the Lakers, and you can have anybody you want.

not everyone can tank for a hof pf like the spurs did.

Venti Quattro
12-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Or I can run it like the Houston Rockets. They play smart, compete every night and are not boring at all.

mogrovejo
12-22-2009, 05:15 PM

A run n gun team to fill the stands and make you money? A defensive team that could win the title, but might be boring and drive away fans?

Why not a run 'n' gun team that fills the stands, makes money, plays defence and wins the title?

mogrovejo
12-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I'd try to sign a good coach. Then if that coach was a "true believer", like Jackson, D'Antoni or O'Brien, I'd try to get players that fit his style; if he's of the "adaptive" kind like Van Gundy, Adelman or Carlisle, I'd wait for him to define an identity for the team (based on the players already in place) and then act accordingly.

LnGrrrR
12-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Why not a run 'n' gun team that fills the stands, makes money, plays defence and wins the title?

Yeah but how many teams can usually do all of those? Usually teams focus on one or two areas of strength, and not many teams focus on defense AND run n gun.

iggypop123
12-22-2009, 10:36 PM
you cant start a team from scratch. you always have leftovers that screw you over or help you