PDA

View Full Version : NBA Gametime on NBAtv tonight and The Official ...

draft87
12-22-2009, 04:08 AM
NBA Gametime on NBAtv tonight
and The Official Let's Talk About Tony Parker Seriously Thread(that means morons{you know who you are} need not read any further)

DISCLAIMER-this is a long post. If you're big on brevity feel free skip this thread, no hard feelings. If you take the time to read this and then complain that it's too long well then, at least I warned you. I will write more about Parker soon. This post was so long(and getting longer!) there was no way I could ask someone to read it so I'm cutting it short.

Did you see the 90 minute episode of Gametime tonight at 7pm? at about 7:45 they(Rick Kamla, Eric Snow, and Brent Barry) discussed the Spurs/Clippers game and with guest Mike Monroe, discussed the recent Spurs struggles with consistency.

1) a bit of humor-
Brent Barry plugged mysa.com after Mike Monroe left. He said something along the lines of,

"For a good laugh, watch Mike Monroe and Jeff McDonald do their Spurs web episodes, they are terribly bad...."

Rick Kamla: "The lovely Jeff McDonald? I don't even know who that is but..."

Brent Barry: "The lovely...and talented Jeff McDonald..."

2) a bit of perspective-
Rick Kamla, not my favorite sports analyst(he's more a personality, talking head) but a neutral party that pointed out that even with all the frustrating bouts with inconsistency the Spurs are 14-10(now 15-10) and still in the (premature)playoff picture.

Now, it wasn't like I hadn't thought of that. And even though I'm frustrated with the lack of chemistry and consistency I'm keeping my faith in Coach Pop and the veterans to bring the whole team together to compete at a championship level. I just thought that the fans who are more concerned than me should get a small piece of mind knowing that objective sources outside San Antonio still respect the Spurs and their ability to be a force in the league.

3) and for the more serious talk-
Eric and Rick asked Brent and Mike how the Spurs were gonna get it together. Neither had a real answer but acknowledged that it was a struggle that seemed more alarming than the usual slow Spurs start. Eric Snow attributed Parker's sub-par play to the extra summer games, a notion that Mike Monroe refuted by explaining that Tony told him(Monroe) that he simply feels very uncomfortable with the other 4 guys on the floor.

This is a widely discussed topic on the board. I've stayed out of it for the most part. I usually write quick, sarcastic bits or simply ask offer a little reality check(I think the ultimate litmus test of whether or not your opinion should be respected and regarded---is if you can say what you post to the in-question Spurs member's face).

Topics this serious and troublesome are hard to actually discuss because there's so much gut reaction material posted(from short bus fans nevertheless).
You really can't discuss "What's Eating Tony Parker" with someone who when TP has a bad game or the Spurs lose(or both) simply needs to scream, "Fuck Tony Parker he's a 27 year old washed up has been spoiled by a famous wife who took his balls now he has none to use for his career trade him for Dwight Howard", or they'll run into HEB headquarters with a semi-automatic.

Tony Parker played his most productive game in a while so I imagine the waters have calmed a bit. Since there's less of a chance this thread is going to start a venting session for "irate customers" I'm gonna add my two cents to the conversation on Parker's recent peformances.

I am optimistic that we can trust Tony's word that he is uncomfortable with the rotations and that is why he isn't playing like Tony Parker. He seems to be making progress finding his place while the 7 brand new players find theirs.

For those who haven't watched the game or checked the stats:
27 min, 19pts(7-11fg, 0-1 3pt, 5-7ft), 2rb, 3ast, 1to, 3pf

In only 27 minutes he produced a lot of points with accuracy, improved his recent free-throw shooting, and committed only one turnover. ONLY ONE TURNOVER!!!! Yes, he 'only' had 3 assists but he also only played 27 minutes. The 7 free-throws indicate Tony is doing his thing-driving to the basket and using his aggressive penetration to create plays and mix up how the opponent defends. Combine that with the one turnover and you can say(if you haven't already seen) that Tony Parker is on his way to being the Tony Parker we know and love.

----
more to follow(soon)