PDA

View Full Version : Van Gundy: Howard is a Better Defender Than Mourning

Tacker
12-22-2009, 11:50 AM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/63563/20091222/van_gundy_howard_is_a_better_defender_than_mournin g/

Magic coach Stan Van Gundy praised the defensive skills of center Dwight Howard on Monday.

He's coached excellent interior defenders like P.J. Brown and Alonzo Mourning, but Van Gundy says that Howard is in a world of his own.

"He's a better pick-and-roll defender, probably, than Alonzo was and a better shot-blocker than P.J. was," the coach said. "There's just not much he can't do defensively. I think as a big guy he's as good as anybody I've been around."

Howard, the NBA's reigning Defensive Player of the Year, has 23 blocks in Orlando's last five games.

weebo
12-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Howard is a beast but no way is he better defender than Zo. I think this is just a coach sucking up to his star player. Nothing more.

Culburn369
12-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Howard is Ralph Sampson with a PR Firm on retainer.

lefty
12-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Is he on crack ?

HarlemHeat37
12-22-2009, 06:39 PM
It's obviously arguable..Orlando had the #1 defense in the NBA last year, despite having a bunch of average defenders around Howard..that's very rare, and I don't know if another team has ever done anything like that..

skut_farkus
12-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Good job dwight making that fat pastrami eating sack of shit say uncle!

TIMMYD!
12-22-2009, 06:43 PM
It's obviously arguable..Orlando had the #1 defense in the NBA last year, despite having a bunch of average defenders around Howard..that's very rare, and I don't know if another team has ever done anything like that..

:stirpot:

Allanon
12-22-2009, 07:12 PM
I don't know if another team has ever done anything like that..

The Lakers this year would qualify unless you consider BOTH Kobe and Artest to be top defenders.

But from what I've read around here, Kobe is over-rated defensively. :lol

HarlemHeat37
12-22-2009, 07:20 PM
The Lakers this year would qualify unless you consider BOTH Kobe and Artest to be top defenders.

What?..who is the anchor of the Lakers D?..

I don't understand how it's comparable..

Allanon
12-22-2009, 07:22 PM
What?..who is the anchor of the Lakers D?..

I don't understand how it's comparable..

That's easy, Ron Artest.

Kobe is "over-rated" defensively.

You said you didn't know if there was another team like that so I'm saying it would be the Lakers.

mystargtr34
12-22-2009, 07:29 PM
That's easy, Ron Artest.

Kobe is "over-rated" defensively.

You said you didn't know if there was another team like that so I'm saying it would be the Lakers.

A defensive anchor is someone who holds an entire defense together. The only way ONE player can do that, is if he is a guy who can have an affect on every opposition player who is on the floor at anyone time. Only big men can really do that, with shot blocking at the rim. Ron Artest has a real defensive impact on only one player, the man he is guarding.

He is one reason the Lakers have improved defensively, but Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol have a much bigger impact on the Laker defense than Artest does.

Allanon
12-22-2009, 07:31 PM
A defensive anchor is someone who holds an entire defense together. The only way ONE player can do that, is if he is a guy who can have an affect on every opposition player who is on the floor at anyone time. Only big men can really do that, with shot blocking at the rim. Ron Artest has a real defensive impact on only one player, the man he is guarding.

Ron Artest is one reason the Lakers have improved defensively, but Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol have a much bigger impact on the Laker defense than Artest does.

Andrew Bynum has been an inconsistent defender, Pau is an average defender, good rebounder.

Ron Artest (who does play decent minutes at PF) is the only defensive standout, or so we're to believe.

mystargtr34
12-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Andrew Bynum has been an inconsistent defender, Pau is an average defender, good rebounder.

Ron Artest (who does play decent minutes at PF) is the only defensive standout, or so we're to believe.

Bynum may be inconsistent with effort and drive, but he's consistently 7'1" with a 7'6" wingspan, and when he's on the floor that makes an impact. Gasol is a very under rated man-to-man defender too. He has a strong base, moves his feet well and is 7'0" with long arms - he has all the bases covered for being a very good defender. Plus, he has always blocked about 2 shots a game and been a pretty good rim protector. Not elite, but well above average.

These guys impact everyone on the floor... look at the Lakers defensive ratings rank in the league the season before they acquired Gasol, and after.

2006-2007 - 24th
2007-2008 - 5th

They went from giving up the 6th MOST points per 100 possessions, to giving up the 5th LEAST points per 100 possessions. Thats what an anchor does. That year, Bynum became a regular starter, and played well for the first 30 games, and Pau came in and played the final 30 games. I put alot more of it down to Gasol, but i have no doubt Bynum's improved play had a impact on that rating aswell.

hitmanyr2k
12-22-2009, 07:52 PM

Scottie Pippen had this as his starting lineup in '95...

C- Will Perdue
PF - Dickey Simpkins
SG - Pete Myers (or Ron Harper)
PG - BJ Armstrong

and still had the Bulls as the #2 defensive team in the NBA that year. Pippen lead the league in defensive rating that year as well...I believe the only perimeter player to accomplish that feat. And this was during the golden era of defensive big man with guys like Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, Alonzo Mourning, Mutombo, etc who all had better defensive players surrounding them. Dude was absolultey robbed of the DPOY award that year.

hitmanyr2k
12-22-2009, 07:57 PM
And secondly I think Mourning is the better defender in the paint and intimidated guys a hell of a lot more than Howard. Look at what an over-the-hill Mourning did against the Mavs in the 2006 Finals. Everytime he came in the game it was like there was a lid on the rim. The Dallas players were scared to challenge him lol.

Allanon
12-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Bynum may be inconsistent with effort and drive, but he's consistently 7'1" with a 7'6" wingspan, and when he's on the floor that makes an impact. Gasol is a very under rated man-to-man defender too. He has a strong base, moves his feet well and is 7'0" with long arms - he has all the bases covered for being a very good defender. Plus, he has always blocked about 2 shots a game and been a pretty good rim protector. Not elite, but well above average.

Bynum has been a defensive liability quite often this year. Pau Gasol has always been a defensive liability. Pau's been better than Bynum, but that's not saying a whole lot. Bynum has the tools but he's just lazy on defense...that ain't gonna get it done.

Phil's even said a couple of games ago that Bynum wasn't doing the right things defensively and had to get taken out.

This is why Ron Ron's had to play PF. Phil's had to yank Bynum, put Pau at Center and Ron at the 4 spot along with Kobe, Shannon Brown and Fisher.

These guys impact everyone on the floor... look at the Lakers defensive ratings rank in the league the season before they acquired Gasol, and after.

2006-2007 - 24th
2007-2008 - 5th

Ariza

They went from giving up the 6th MOST points per 100 possessions, to giving up the 5th LEAST points per 100 possessions. Thats what an anchor does. That year, Bynum became a regular starter, and played well for the first 30 games, and Pau came in and played the final 30 games. I put alot more of it down to Gasol, but i have no doubt Bynum's improved play had a impact on that rating aswell.

Ariza and now Ron.

Bynum has literally been bad on defense this year. Great offense, bad defensive efforts.

21_Blessings
12-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Allanon: Bynum's defense has not been bad this year. He's been inconsistent on some pick and roll stuff but overall Bynum is solid. Defensive rating of 98, which is elite.

Regardless of how you slice it Bynum is the Lakers anchor and he's good at it - but could be much better which is scary. He rarely ever gets abused 1v1 in the post. The Lakers would not have the best D in the league without Andrew.

hitmanyr2k
12-22-2009, 08:11 PM

Kobe is overrated defensively to be honest. For a guy that's supposed to be a great defender and 1st team worthy his defensive ratings are downright mediocre. He's always been sometime-y and doesn't put a consistent effort on the defensive side of the ball in years (except for 2008 where I thought he actually deserved his defensive accolades for a change). I think the personnel on the Lakers makes him look better. It's no coincidence his defensive ratings are much better this year considering he has Artest and 2 seven footers who affect shots with their length alone on the team now. All those other years he was on First team All-D (2006 and 2007) even Laker fans were laughing at what a farce that was.

Allanon
12-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Allanon: Bynum's defense has not been bad this year. He's been inconsistent on some pick and roll stuff but overall Bynum is solid. Defensive rating of 98, which is elite.

Regardless of how you slice it Bynum is the Lakers anchor and he's good at it - but could be much better which is scary. He rarely ever gets abused 1v1 in the post. The Lakers would not have the best D in the league without Andrew.

Sounds good to me. I ain't gonna argue that.

mystargtr34
12-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Bynum has been a defensive liability quite often this year. Pau Gasol has always been a defensive liability. Pau's been better than Bynum, but that's not saying a whole lot. Bynum has the tools but he's just lazy on defense...that ain't gonna get it done.

Phil's even said a couple of games ago that Bynum wasn't doing the right things defensively and had to get taken out.

This is why Ron Ron's had to play PF. Phil's had to yank Bynum, put Pau at Center and Ron at the 4 spot along with Kobe, Shannon Brown and Fisher.

So Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol are defensive liabilities for the Lakers. Ive never heard that one before.

Ariza

So Ariza played 22 games for the Lakers, and a whopping 18 MPG during those 22 games, and he was the reason the Lakers went from being 24th in the league, up to 5th in the league, in points allowed per 100 possessions in that season.

He must be a pretty good defender.

mystargtr34
12-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Im not saying Artest hasnt made the Lakers better defensively, because he has. But Bynum and Pau have a much bigger impact on that end of the court. You switch Artest with a league average defender at the SF spot, the Lakers probably go down to 3rd of 4th best in the league defensively - which is still a significant drop. It means one of the two wings, will get a few more points on a slightly better percentage, which might mean an extra L here or there.

You take away one of Pau or Bynum, they go down to about 6-10 area... you take both of those guys away... the Lakers go back to being high teens, early 20's like they were during the Kobe era. Without these two, it doesnt just become easier for the guy he is guarding, it becomes easier for the entire team to get easy shots at the rim... penetration and open threes, and more offensive rebounds and put backs at the basket.

Artest impacts his own man... Pau and Bynum impact their own man + the other 4 guys on the court.

21_Blessings
12-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Sounds good to me. I ain't gonna argue that.

I'm not saying it's been perfect either :)

He does tend to get lost when rotating and on the pick and roll. I'd expect that to improve with experience just like it did with Dwight.

Goran Dragic
12-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Pau is an average defender

At this point Pau is one of the best pick and roll defenders in the NBA.

Rip-Hamilton32
12-22-2009, 09:31 PM
i love how Zo used to try to block dunks even though he did get dunked on a lot he was still man enough to try