PDA

View Full Version : Better place to visit: Canada or New Zealand?

Jacob1983
12-23-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm thinking about taking a vacation probably in May of 2010. I've narrowed my choices down to Canada and New Zealand. If I go to Canada, I was thinking about heading to Niagara Falls and Toronto. If I go to New Zealand, I was gonna check out Auckland or Christchurch. Anyone on here ever been to Canada or New Zealand? Good experience or bad experience?

Rip-Hamilton32
12-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Toronto and the Falls are both boring, head to New Zealand

CubanMustGo
12-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Canada is a freakin' huge country. You are only going to see a small part of it. You can get a pretty good overview of NZed in a couple of weeks.

I like the South Island (Christchurch) better than the North (Auckland). Lots of outdoor activities throughout both islands. Queenstown is a hoot in that regard. The people are very outgoing and friendly, maybe they have to be since they are badly outnumbered by the sheep. You can get a great deal on woolens, too, but if you live in South Texas you'll only get to wear them a couple of times a year.

Toronto is a nice place but it's just another big city, only cleaner and more cosmopolitan than you see in the States. If I was going to Canada (again) it would be to Quebec City and Montreal.

B-Hath
12-23-2009, 01:05 AM
I hear Canada is some beautiful country, but New Zealand seems exotic on many levels. If cost is not an issue, then I say New Zealand. And yes, Canada is way too big to take in on one trip. I would make a trip for each big city, then a couple of trips for the scenery.

Jacob1983
12-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Yeah when I said Canada, I didn't mean seeing the whole country. I wouldn't mind seeing the whole country but I don't have the money or time to do that. For a while, I thought Vancouver might be a cool place to see in Canada but I've read that Vancouver can be pretty dangerous for tourists. The thing that makes me want to go to Niagara Falls is Niagara Falls and being able to see Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. The ocean is what makes me want to go to New Zealand. Going to New Zealand would be more expensive but I would think that it would be a better experience. I will admit that I would feel a little worried about going that far cause I've never been that far away from home and America.

xellos88330
12-23-2009, 04:08 AM
I would say New Zealand if you live in the states. Canada is so accessible and can even drive there. New Zealand just seems the more exotic and interesting place to me. There isn't much about Canada that we don't really know as US citizens. New Zealand is a different story.

baseline bum
12-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Toronto and the Falls are both boring, head to New Zealand

I disagree strongly on both counts. Toronto is awesome in the summer; great weather, friendly people, awesome Chinese food, good looking women, and a hell of a lot cleaner than most US cities I have ever been to. Taking the Maid of the Mist to Horseshoe Falls is an incredible experience, but Niagra Falls is just a trip you do for an hour or two; there's really nothing else to do there after taking the boat-ride. Still, I'd pick NZ in a second.

EmptyMan
12-23-2009, 07:33 PM
NZ easily.

Rip-Hamilton32
12-23-2009, 07:49 PM
I disagree strongly on both counts. Toronto is awesome in the summer; great weather, friendly people, awesome Chinese food, good looking women, and a hell of a lot cleaner than most US cities I have ever been to. Taking the Maid of the Mist to Horseshoe Falls is an incredible experience, but Niagra Falls is just a trip you do for an hour or two; there's really nothing else to do there after taking the boat-ride. Still, I'd pick NZ in a second.

your probably right but i live about an hour away from Toronto so ive seen it a lot and I go to the Falls every summer so its not very exciting for me

boutons_deux
12-23-2009, 08:21 PM
"no question about it", NZ

Jacob1983
12-24-2009, 12:51 AM
I figured the consensus on here would pick New Zealand. Don't get me wrong. Canada especially Toronto and Niagara Falls seem like awesome places but they are really close to America and are in North America. Going to New Zealand seems like it would be more of an experience. If I pick New Zealand, which island would be the better pick: North or South?

Höfner
12-24-2009, 12:56 AM
New Canada.

DieMrBond
12-24-2009, 02:25 AM
Would it be wrong to say go to New Zealand because its further away from America than Canada is? :P (Im kidding, btw)

I would prefer to go to New Zealand because of :

a) less people, so more chance to actually relax
b) amazing sights to see
c) extreme sports are abundant - bungie jumping, white water rafting, etc (there goes the relaxing...)
d) ive always wanted to go..

Although, canada has always intrigued me because of the snow seasons, and toronto/vancouver/etc do intrigue me...

But, if it was your last chance to ever go on holiday for example, where would YOU rather go?

Jacob1983
12-24-2009, 02:36 AM
New Zealand. New Zealand seems like one of those places that you would want to tell people that you have visited because how many people can say they have been to New Zealand?

DieMrBond
12-24-2009, 04:11 AM
Tourism in New Zealand is the country's biggest 'export' earner with two million tourists visiting per year.

A few apparently ;) But I am with you tho, New Zealand would be an awesome place to holiday.

NZ Spurs
12-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Second biggest export earner after agriculture.

I have traveled through most of Europe, the States, the pacific islands, Australia and a little of Asia and I am yet to see anything that parallels the beauty we have here. My well traveled Canadian friends were amazed if that's anything to go by.

You will have to fly into Auckland so its worth spending a day or so to look around and get used to the country. But if I was you I would head south as quickly as possible. Taupo is great. Wellington is a good cultural hot spot. But the South Island is where the "Lord of the Rings" scenery is.

At the top of the South Island, the Marlborough Sounds are really pretty in the summer. There is some good hiking trails and kayaking. You could base yourself in Nelson -good wine.

Stay away from Christchurch, boring white semi-racist middle class suburbia.

But If you can head down to the bottom of the South Island. Queenstown is an awesome tourist resort town. Bunji jumping, jet boat rides, good night life, skiing and snowboarding, golf, wine. And its a great place to base yourself to see the jewel in the crown: The Milford Sounds.

http://www.odt.co.nz/files/story/2009/03/milford_sound_red_boats_ltd_is_to_open_its_first_s _1258417371.JPG

NZ Spurs
12-24-2009, 06:29 AM
Ohh and bring lots of US Dollars, our economy needs it.

EmptyMan
12-24-2009, 09:51 AM
I could easily spend two weeks just walking around and kayaking in that LoTR scenery :downspin:

baseline bum
12-24-2009, 11:15 AM
If I was going to go out of the nation, Peru would be my #1 choice, and #2 would basically be a coin-flip between NZ and Switzerland.

Jacob1983
12-25-2009, 01:01 AM
Christchurch is racist? I'm surprised about that. From what I've read, New Zealand seems like a country with a lot of diversity. I believe gay people can get married there too. Correction: gay marriage isn't legal there but civil unions are. Better than nothing I guess. I have heard that Christchurch is kinda boring and doesn't have a lof of things you can do there. If I do go to NZ, I'd probably only be able to spend 5 maybe 6 days there but that's mainly cause I'm on a budget. If I had more money, I'd probably spend 2 weeks there. Anyone ever used expedia or travelocity to purchase a trip?

exstatic
12-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Don't forget: if you're going to NZ in May, that's WINTER in the Antipodal world.

I've always thought NZ would be a great Thanksgiving or X-mas trip.

angel_luv
12-26-2009, 10:07 AM
I would go to New Zealand over Canada because out of the two New Z is the one I haven't see any part of yet.

But if I were to go to Canada, I would definitely attend a Raptors game or two.

Jacob1983
12-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah, that's what I've read. However, I've read that the winters aren't too bad in Auckland. The winters are mild and somewhat rainy there I think. The main reason why I would go in May is because it's cheaper and fewer people. Peak season for tourism there is like from December to March. I just would hope that it wouldn't rain every day I was there.

angel_luv
12-26-2009, 11:36 AM
http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/07/worlds-friendliest-countries-lifestyle-travel-canada-bahrain-hsbc_slide_10.html

According to this article, Canada is one of the friendlist countries.

baseline bum
12-26-2009, 12:10 PM
http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/07/worlds-friendliest-countries-lifestyle-travel-canada-bahrain-hsbc_slide_10.html

According to this article, Canada is one of the friendlist countries.

Canadians are awesome; that is, except for the French ones, who are still pricks.

Jacob1983
12-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I've heard Canadians are very friendly except for French Canadians. I got a question for anyone that has ever flown overseas and/or been on a long flight(at least 6 hours on a plane), how do you deal with jetlag? Like how long does it last? I've checked online about how long the flights are to New Zealand from DFW and they're pretty long. They can be either like 17 or 18 hours total. If you're flying from DFW, you have to stop at LA or SF then get a plane to New Zealand. From LA or SF to New Zealand, it's almost 13 hours in a plane. I think the longest I've been in a plane was like 4 hours.

NZ Spurs
12-27-2009, 03:22 AM
Christchurch is racist? I'm surprised about that. From what I've read, New Zealand seems like a country with a lot of diversity.

Yeah New Zealand is very tolerant, however, Auckland is the diverse part of the country, the rest is white farm country. [/gross generalization]

NZ is a long way to come for 5-6 days. In that case I would suggest Canada. Although if you stay in back packers accommodation NZ can be relatively cheap, especially with the exchange rate factored in.

If you are looking for a fun city with good shopping I would suggest Singapore or Sydney or even Hong Kong over Auckland. Due to extreme deregulation Auckland is a city lacking any real identity or culture. It is just a bad mix of British, American and recently Asian influences.

lefty
12-27-2009, 03:25 AM
If you chose to go to Canada, wait for summer :lol

Vancouver is nice.

Toronto and Montreal are great

Go to Montreal during the F1 Grand Prix weekend, or during the Jazz fest

Jacob1983
12-28-2009, 12:20 AM
It makes me mad that the flight is so fuckin long and that you have to cross the international dateline. I've done the math on most of the flights that I've looked at and I basically use up about 30 to 36 hours just getting from DFW to Auckland. Is Canada like really cold in April and May? I've been to Minnesota in June and it was jacket weather on some days and nights. The main reason I want to go to New Zealand is because of the scenery especially the ocean.

Jacob1983
12-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Anyone ever met New Zealanders? Are they friendly toward Americans?

DieMrBond
12-30-2009, 06:19 AM
New Zealanders are pretty much like Australians. Don't give a crap who you are, what you look like or where you are from - as long as you treat them with respect, you'll get along just fine.

CubanMustGo
12-30-2009, 09:43 AM
New Zealanders are pretty much like Australians. Don't give a crap who you are, what you look like or where you are from - as long as you treat them with respect, you'll get along just fine.

+1. Kiwis are great.

Jacob1983
12-31-2009, 12:08 AM
So in your personal vacation experiences, what countries had the nicest and friendliest people?

Jacob1983
03-18-2010, 01:20 PM
I think I have made my mind up about this finally. I'm not going to to go to Canada this year. I'm just going to keep on saving money up for a trip to New Zealand in 2011. I only have 700 dollars saved up right now. I will probably have to get that up to 1500 to 2000 dollars just to pay for the trip to New Zealand.

Wild Cobra
03-18-2010, 01:26 PM
I think I have made my mind up about this finally. I'm not going to to go to Canada this year. I'm just going to keep on saving money up for a trip to New Zealand in 2011. I only have 700 dollars saved up right now. I will probably have to get that up to 1500 to 2000 dollars just to pay for the trip to New Zealand.
I meant to respond to this thread when it was first posted. Don't know why I didn't.

I think New Zealand is the better choice. Different climate and culture. Not to say Canada is like us, but they are more like us than Zew Zealand. Years ago, I went to school with a girl who spent a year there as a foreign exchange student. She loved it.

Jacob1983
03-18-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm hoping by December of this year or January of next year, that I have enough money saved up and that my credit card limit will be increased. I was an idiot and just got a credit card back in January. It was my first credit card so the limit is low. It's only 200 dollars. I know that hotels and rental car places are strict about payment and credit cards.

IronMaxipad
03-18-2010, 03:25 PM
What kind of question? Go to F'n New Zealand!

You can Look For Hobbits and meet the Hiphopopotamus.

FArZxLj6DLk

Jacob1983
03-25-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm thinking maybe of going to New Zealand in late September rather than in January or February of 2011 because I've read that the tourism is way down in September than in January and February. The prices are also cheaper in September than in January and February but I think it's because of the weather and tourism. The only thing that would worry me is the weather. I want to be able to get in the weater if I go to New Zealand. It would suck to go there and not go to beach and get in the weater. Would it be too chilly to get in the water in September there? September there is like the first month of Spring for them.

san antonio spurs
03-25-2010, 07:43 PM
French Canadians are nice too guys:toast Come on

On the OP question... I think I would go to New Zealand even though it might be winter over there, there's always gonna be another time to visit your Canadians neighbors.

Jacob1983
03-25-2010, 11:50 PM
True. It just makes me mad that New Zealand is so far away from north Texas. And that you can't get a nonstop flight from DFW to New Zealand. You would think with all the technology that Earth has that it would be possible to get a nonstop flight from DFW to New Zealand. It sucks that you have to stop in California if you're flying from DFW to New Zealand.

montgod
03-26-2010, 12:49 AM
My vote is for New Zealand, but it all depends on your finances and what you are looking for. Just remember, Canada is nearby and easy to access anytime. New Zealand is a good 20 hour flight... so maybe that will help your decision as well.

tlongII
03-26-2010, 09:00 AM
I think British Columbia and New Zealand have a lot of similarities actually. The best city to visit in Canada is Victoria imo.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-26-2010, 10:11 AM
I had a great week in Calgary once. Aussies and Canadians have a lot in common... as do we both with New Zealanders. Really, we're all one big post-colonial brotherhood, the remnants of the shattered British Empire and doing all the better for the shattering. :toast

Wherever you choose you'll have a great time.

BTW, WC, love your sig. Those guys are pretty funny. :)

in2deep
03-26-2010, 01:17 PM
there is a reason why the Lord of the Rings was not filmed in Canada

The Reckoning
03-26-2010, 01:40 PM
The best city to visit in Canada is Victoria imo.

crofl

seriously, is this thread a rhetorical question?

lefty
03-26-2010, 01:42 PM
there is a reason why the Lord of the Rings was not filmed in Canada
Funny that you bring that up

Viggo Mortensen wore a Montreal Canadiens t-shirt under his costume during the shooting of the trilogy

tlongII
03-26-2010, 01:46 PM
crofl

seriously, is this thread a rhetorical question?

Victoria, BC. Not Victoria, TX. :lol

Jacob1983
03-26-2010, 10:53 PM
I really want to go to New Zealand but I'm gonna need some more money in order to pay for the trip. I usually go on Travelocity and Expedia to check the prices for a flight/hotel package. I've have already talked to a travel agent about going to New Zealand. The price that they gave me was a joke so I'm not going to use a travel agent. Going in September would be cheaper than going in January or February of next year but it will be cooler in September. Does the water from the Pacific Ocean get chilly in the winter months around places like Australia and New Zealand. New Zealand, Australia, and Canada seem like they are countries that are the mellow type. They don't start shit with other countries and don't have as many as people as other countries so I would figure that would be a reason why they're mellow. Oh yeah, my mom keeps telling me that it's gonna suck for me to go to New Zealand by myself. Isn't New Zealand a cool enough place to go on vacation by yourself? Sorry about all the questions, I just really want to go on a vacation. I have almost 45 hours of vacation time at my job. I want to use those hours soon.

NZ Spurs
03-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Weather is shit in September. Come in Jan/Feb. I wouldn't complain too much about having to fly to LA, just get on one of those cheap South West flights? I had to fly LA to Denver then to Dallas when I came to Texas, but that was nothing compared to the country hopping I had to do in Europe.