PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: LeBron with Clippers? Don't dismiss it

duncan228
12-23-2009, 01:50 AM
LeBron with Clippers? Don't dismiss it (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/LeBron_with_Clippers_Dont_dismiss_it.html)
Mike Monroe - Express-News

About halfway through the preseason, a friend who shares a pair of Spurs season tickets asked for advice about games worth putting dibs on when the ticket group met to slice up the season.

One recommendation was Monday's game against the Clippers, a tout based entirely on the potential No. 1 overall draft pick Blake Griffin had shown, both in summer league and preseason games.

I believed Griffin had the potential to be a true impact rookie, perhaps even capable of helping the Clippers return to playoff contention in the brutally tough Western Conference.

Griffin wasn't in San Antonio on Monday, and he hasn't suited up since being diagnosed in late October with a stress fracture of the left kneecap. The latest projection has him getting on the court in mid-January, but Clippers fans have learned not to raise expectations about such things.

Call me crazy, but I believe that if Griffin has no more setbacks to his timetable and returns without ill effect from his injury, he could have an impact that goes beyond just making the Clippers competitive in the West.

He might put them in the hunt for LeBron James next summer.

I still believe James, the reigning NBA MVP, will re-up with the Cavaliers after he becomes a free agent in July. But if he opts to take his game elsewhere, he will be weighing the championship potential of his new team and the intangibles of his new hometown.

Why not L.A.?

It has all the intangibles an NBA player could want.

The Clippers share Staples Center with the Lakers as a home base and have built a new practice facility with all the bells, whistles and workout equipment a player needs.

There are enough A-List celebrities in Tinseltown for both teams, though it isn't likely Jack Nicholson ever will share Clippers courtside seats with Billy Crystal.

What could the Clippers possibly offer from a competitive standpoint?

More than the Knicks or Nets.

A quick check of their player contracts shows only Chris Kaman, Baron Davis, Eric Gordon, Al Thornton, Sebastian Telfair, DeAndre Jordan and Griffin under contract next summer, leaving plenty of salary cap space to make a maximum offer to James.

Before Griffin got hurt, Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy had seen enough to get very excited.

“Before he got hurt he had really improved his jumper,” Dunleavy said, “and he may be best ball handling and passing power forward I've ever seen. Plus, he's one of those guys who gets extra possessions and easy baskets for teammates.”

Would a starting lineup of Davis, Gordon, Kaman, Griffin and James be better than Cleveland's: Mo Williams, Anthony Parker, Shaquille O'Neal, J.J. Hickson and James?

Absolutely, and if Griffin is what every expert believed before the 2009 draft, James instantly would make the Clippers as competitive as every team in the West that doesn't have Kobe Bryant.

That could be the real appeal the Clippers could offer James: a chance to battle Bryant for the title of Sports King of La La Land.

Of course, James could always get all the best of L.A. and a guaranteed championship. He'd just have to give up about $15 million and sign for the mid-level exception with the Lakers.

badfish22
12-23-2009, 01:52 AM
its already been dismissed

Def Rowe
12-23-2009, 01:53 AM
Even though technically it would be a good business move, it would be a horrible career decision

jonnybravo
12-23-2009, 01:54 AM
lebron with clippers? Don't dismiss it (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/lebron_with_clippers_dont_dismiss_it.html)
mike monroe - express-news

about halfway through the preseason, a friend who shares a pair of spurs season tickets asked for advice about games worth putting dibs on when the ticket group met to slice up the season.

One recommendation was monday's game against the clippers, a tout based entirely on the potential no. 1 overall draft pick blake griffin had shown, both in summer league and preseason games.

I believed griffin had the potential to be a true impact rookie, perhaps even capable of helping the clippers return to playoff contention in the brutally tough western conference.

Griffin wasn't in san antonio on monday, and he hasn't suited up since being diagnosed in late october with a stress fracture of the left kneecap. The latest projection has him getting on the court in mid-january, but clippers fans have learned not to raise expectations about such things.

Call me crazy, but i believe that if griffin has no more setbacks to his timetable and returns without ill effect from his injury, he could have an impact that goes beyond just making the clippers competitive in the west.

He might put them in the hunt for lebron james next summer.

I still believe james, the reigning nba mvp, will re-up with the cavaliers after he becomes a free agent in july. But if he opts to take his game elsewhere, he will be weighing the championship potential of his new team and the intangibles of his new hometown.

Why not l.a.?

It has all the intangibles an nba player could want.

The clippers share staples center with the lakers as a home base and have built a new practice facility with all the bells, whistles and workout equipment a player needs.

There are enough a-list celebrities in tinseltown for both teams, though it isn't likely jack nicholson ever will share clippers courtside seats with billy crystal.

What could the clippers possibly offer from a competitive standpoint?

More than the knicks or nets.

A quick check of their player contracts shows only chris kaman, baron davis, eric gordon, al thornton, sebastian telfair, deandre jordan and griffin under contract next summer, leaving plenty of salary cap space to make a maximum offer to james.

Before griffin got hurt, clippers coach mike dunleavy had seen enough to get very excited.

“before he got hurt he had really improved his jumper,” dunleavy said, “and he may be best ball handling and passing power forward i've ever seen. Plus, he's one of those guys who gets extra possessions and easy baskets for teammates.”

would a starting lineup of davis, gordon, kaman, griffin and james be better than cleveland's: Mo williams, anthony parker, shaquille o'neal, j.j. Hickson and james?

Absolutely, and if griffin is what every expert believed before the 2009 draft, james instantly would make the clippers as competitive as every team in the west that doesn't have kobe bryant.

That could be the real appeal the clippers could offer james: A chance to battle bryant for the title of sports king of la la land.

of course, james could always get all the best of l.a. And a guaranteed championship. He'd just have to give up about $15 million and sign for the mid-level exception with the lakers.

do it mitch!

Allanon
12-23-2009, 01:58 AM
LeBron on the Clippers would indeed be pretty interesting; they would officially leave joke status but would it be enough to escape little brother status to Kobe and the Lakers?

Def Rowe
12-23-2009, 02:03 AM
LeBron on the Clippers would indeed be pretty interesting; they would officially leave joke status but would it be enough to escape little brother status to Kobe and the Lakers?

In this scenario I don't see Donald Sterling keeping any of the good players like Griffin once it comes to re-sign them. I don't know how that would work out. If they just plopped LeBron into the Clippers team the way they are now... they'd be pretty damn good.

Allanon
12-23-2009, 02:06 AM
In this scenario I don't see Donald Sterling keeping any of the good players like Griffin once it comes to re-sign them.

Any other owner, I think you're crazy but Sterling breaking up LeBron/Griffin, that's possible.

BadOdor
12-23-2009, 02:09 AM
kobe should buy clippers season tickets and show up every game just to shout at lebron:"yo, you paying for the clips, lolz!!!"

j.dizzle
12-23-2009, 02:18 AM
fail

iggypop123
12-23-2009, 03:00 AM
15 million for a title after you have already earned upwards of 90 million should be an automatic but james doesnt value winning i guess

DxB
12-23-2009, 05:40 AM
15 million for a title after you have already earned upwards of 90 million should be an automatic but james doesnt value winning i guess

Who the fuck said the lakers can offer 15 million?

5 million = MLE.... so he'd have to give up 15 mil to go there.

ginobili's bald spot
12-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the advice, but I'll go ahead and dismiss it anyway.

Steve Jobs
12-23-2009, 08:25 AM
After careful financial analysis I discovered that the way for the NBA to make the most money is to fire everyone but Kobe and Lebron. Move Lebron and Kobe to the bay area and then have a 60 game season where they player each other to 21 by 1s and 2s half court for the whole season. (homecourt doesn't matter)

The playoffs would be a single 29 game series.

greyforest
12-23-2009, 09:17 AM
dismissing

Thunder Dan
12-23-2009, 09:30 AM
It's been dismissed. Lebron is not going to the west coast if he wants to be marketable

ElNono
12-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Filed under 'Dismissed'...