PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Bogans relishing his role

duncan228
12-23-2009, 02:10 AM
http://media.mysanantonio.com/images/P1_Spurs_Bogans_1223.ART_GMA7I2DO.1_KEITH_BOGANS.1 5337780.jpg
Keith Bogans has assumed Bruce Bowen's old role.

Spurs' Bogans relishing his role (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Bogans_relishing_his_role.html)
Jeff McDonald

Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. has watched teammate Keith Bogans grapple with an All-Star ballot of NBA scorers this season. He's seen Bogans claw with Carmelo Anthony, harass Baron Davis, lay into the likes of Jason Terry, Monta Ellis and Stephen Jackson.

On nights like these, Mason says he barely recognizes his old friend.

“I didn't know he was a defender until he came here,” said Mason, who has known Bogans since they were 9-year-olds growing up in the Washington D.C. area. “I always thought of him as a scorer first.”

Bogans, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard, built his six-season NBA career by being a bulldog of a defender, but he wasn't always this way. In college at Kentucky, he was a bona fide point-producer — so good at putting the ball in the hole that he still ranks fourth on the school's blue-blooded all-time scoring list.

It was a conversation with his old coach at Kentucky, Tubby Smith, that Bogans says changed the course of his career, transforming him from prolific scorer to, as Spurs teammate Manu Ginobili calls him, “a pain in the butt” defender.

“In this league, everybody's a scorer,” Bogans said. “I had to find something to do that other guys didn't do. Not too many guys in this league play defense.”

Even after three consecutive double-digit outings, Bogans is averaging 5.4 points — a paltry number at a position often dominated by point-a-minute scorers.

As far as the Spurs are concerned, any offense Bogans supplies is superfluous. Signed just eight days before the start of training camp, Bogans has earned a starting role based on his ability to defend people.

“There's a lot to be said for one of the starters not really needing the ball,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “In this league, you can use that. It's difficult to guard people the way the rules are, especially perimeter-type people.

“Come playoff time, you have to be able to make those stops.”

The Portland Trail Blazers, the Spurs' opponent tonight at the AT&T Center, are partially responsible for turning Bogans into a starter. He earned his first nod of the season at Portland on Nov. 6, as a counter to Nate McMillian's decision to start Andre Miller alongside Brandon Roy and Steve Blake.

Save for one night in Dallas, when Popovich opted to start Ginobili instead, Bogans has been a fixture in the first five ever since. In games in which Bogans has started and logged at least 20 minutes, opposing guards are shooting 39.8 percent.

It is not often a team will find its starting shooting guard on the free agency scrap heap. That's where the Spurs discovered Bogans, signing him to a minimum deal on Sept. 21 after Milwaukee declined to retain him.

“I didn't think we were going to lose anything by giving him a shot,” Popovich said. “Because when I looked out there in the world, I didn't think there was anybody else that had the potential to take on that role like Bruce Bowen had, and relish doing it night after night.”

One of the players Bogans studied over the years was Bowen, the former Spur and an eight-time member of the NBA's All-Defense team.

Bogans is two inches shorter than Bowen, and stockier. Where Bowen used his quickness and footwork to smother opponents, Bogans uses his strength to knock them out of their preferred spots.

“He grabs you, holds you,” Ginobili said. “He takes defense very seriously, even in practice.”

Sometimes, however, Bogans can't help but have flashbacks to his sweet-shooting days in Kentucky blue. The ball will swing to him in the corner, and he will remember the scorer he once was.

This is the Bogans that Mason remembers from their days in D.C. It is not who Bogans is now.

“I can hit an open shot if I have to,” Bogans said, “but I'm a defender first.”

honestfool84
12-23-2009, 02:22 AM
“I can hit an open shot if I have to,” Bogans said, “but I'm a defender first.”

this is great news, obviously.

Baseline
12-23-2009, 02:25 AM
All I know is if Bogans keeps hitting the three like he has been lately, we're going to be pretty good.

Danny.Zhu
12-23-2009, 02:25 AM
At that time I just get it that no one else in the league wanted him.

And he is shooting 50% 2pts and 40% 3pts this season, very impressive.

itzsoweezee
12-23-2009, 02:29 AM
what i like about bogans is that he can take the ball to the hole with confidence. in that sense, he's a more versatile offensive player than bowen.

Sean Cagney
12-23-2009, 02:49 AM
what i like about bogans is that he can take the ball to the hole with confidence. in that sense, he's a more versatile offensive player than bowen.

Yes he is, but the Defender Bowen was could not be replaced, he could shut down Nash and whoever in a series (Billups too) and get us the victory in a hard faught series, period. Bogans is a good defender, but not the lockdown stud Brucey was.

alchemist
12-23-2009, 02:56 AM
Yes he is, but the Defender Bowen was could not be replaced, he could shut down Nash and whoever in a series (Billups too) and get us the victory in a hard faught series, period. Bogans is a good defender, but not the lockdown stud Brucey was.
yet....:toast

benefactor
12-23-2009, 06:48 AM
This guy was born to be a Spur.

admiralsnackbar
12-23-2009, 07:27 AM
I know our dream has been to find somebody at the 3 position who can defend above and below his position, but Bogans truly plays bigger than he is. It's easy to get excited about his performance.

urunobili
12-23-2009, 08:00 AM
This guy was born to be a Spur.

Im seriously considering a Bogans Jersey for Christmas instead of a Beast one :wow

greyforest
12-23-2009, 08:57 AM
bogans has a long way to go to even approach bowen

outmap
12-23-2009, 09:08 AM
He can be compared to Raja Bell more than Brucie, but at a cheaper price. He will be a Spur for a long time as long as he doesn't demand 4M a year. :)

boutons_deux
12-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Keif may even have some potential to up his defense. Success and acclaim as a defender should Spur him on to greater defensive effort and prowess. Virtuous cycle.

He seems very relaxed, often smiling for no apparent reason. :)

Spursmania
12-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Bogans is a good defender but nowhere near Bruce especially at 6.5'

I can't help but wonder how good our D would had been had we had them both for the vet's minimum. We can't get near the elites playing D like we do now. Bogans is not enough.

ElNono
12-23-2009, 09:58 AM
If Bogans turn out to be half as good a defender as Bowen was, our defense will look 10 times better than it did last season...

silverblackfan
12-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Bogans has been a very pleasant surprise for someone who was signed at the last minute. He is no Bruce, but a good defensive player who may be even better at offense. I like that, like Bruce, he hangs his hat on his defense.
I wish more of the guys on the team would do this. (Ok, just Tony).

Muser
12-23-2009, 10:14 AM
So if he keeps this up all year what kinda deal are we looking at to keep him?

nkdlunch
12-23-2009, 10:47 AM
the biggest and best surprise of the Spurs so far this season

let's see how he does vs. Roy. Roy was dismantling the Dallas D last night.

benefactor
12-23-2009, 11:30 AM
So if he keeps this up all year what kinda deal are we looking at to keep him?
Nothing mind blowing...as it is doubtful any other team will give him anything substantial even if he has a good year.

If I had to shoot in the dark I'd say something like 3yrs/8 million.

TIMMYD!
12-23-2009, 11:36 AM
I should bump some of the threads with all the Bogans hate in them.

I've loved what he has been able to do this year even if he will never be Bruce he can still bring that tough, gritty defense while still hitting those corner 3s.

superbigtime
12-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Best surprise of the season. Jefferson = worst surprise.

TIMMYD!
12-23-2009, 01:40 PM
best surprise of the season. Jefferson = worst surprise.

+10000

tomtom
12-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Called it in the offseason. There's a reason he was a starter for the Magic not that long ago. He plays great D and shoots the 3

angelbelow
12-23-2009, 03:46 PM
And hes doing just fine too.

HarlemHeat37
12-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Actually, the people that were skeptical about Bogans had good reason to assume the worst, myself included..you had to consider Hairston's emergence and the fact that Bogans has been a below average offensive player his entire career..

This Keith Bogans we're getting right now is NOWHERE NEAR the same guy that has been in the NBA this entire time..

his previous career high in FG% for a season was 41%..this year he's shooting 49.5%, which is a MONSTROUS increase..he's shooting 40% from 3s, his highest ever, and this was with a massive slump that he went through for a few weeks..his TS% is almost 10% higher than his previous high..

this is the best Orating he's had WHILE having the best Drating he's ever had..

Who knows how the season will turn out, but I can say that nobody expected Bogans to be this good, not even the Spurs front office..it wouldn't have made any sense for anybody to believe he could be this good for us, nothing in the past indicated it..

It's kind of scary that he might just have found a perfect spot for himself in the NBA..

Spursmania
12-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Best surprise of the season. Jefferson = worst surprise.

You are so right. I'm still hoping for a break through from Jefferson though, and still expect to see him give us a lot more. Just a matter of time (I hope)...

admiralsnackbar
12-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Actually, the people that were skeptical about Bogans had good reason to assume the worst, myself included..you had to consider Hairston's emergence and the fact that Bogans has been a below average offensive player his entire career..

This Keith Bogans we're getting right now is NOWHERE NEAR the same guy that has been in the NBA this entire time..

his previous career high in FG% for a season was 41%..this year he's shooting 49.5%, which is a MONSTROUS increase..he's shooting 40% from 3s, his highest ever, and this was with a massive slump that he went through for a few weeks..his TS% is almost 10% higher than his previous high..

this is the best Orating he's had WHILE having the best Drating he's ever had..

Who knows how the season will turn out, but I can say that nobody expected Bogans to be this good, not even the Spurs front office..it wouldn't have made any sense for anybody to believe he could be this good for us, nothing in the past indicated it..

It's kind of scary that he might just have found a perfect spot for himself in the NBA..

Write this on your phone? :lol

slick'81
12-23-2009, 06:01 PM
asking anyone to be bruce bowen is a fckn tall order but like i said before he knows what he has to do to play for this team and soo far hes been willing to do it

keep grinding keith

gilmor
12-23-2009, 07:46 PM
I didn't watch much Spurs games.. but how is Bogans compared to Udoka?

SPURSGOAT
12-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Ummm; where was his "great" D last night!? Taking the place of Bowen!?:rolleyes

SenorSpur
12-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Bogans is a good defender but nowhere near Bruce especially at 6.5'

I can't help but wonder how good our D would had been had we had them both for the vet's minimum.
Now THAT is a delicious thought.

We can't get near the elites playing D like we do now. Bogans is not enough.

True. It's not enough. Even with Bogans' stellar work on the perimeter, the Spurs are still weak there. That's precisely why I wish, like hell, the Spurs could've had a chance to select Nic Batum in last year's draft. Damn Rockets/Blazers.