PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: It could be worse, Spurs fans

duncan228
12-23-2009, 04:46 PM
It could be worse, Spurs fans (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/12/it-could-be-wor-1.html)
By Jeff McDonald

So much for the Spurs' plan to use tonight's game against Portland to gauge their progress against quality teams. Thanks to an almost comical rash of injuries, the Trail Blazers no longer qualify as such.

Joel Przybilla became the latest victim of the Blazers' injury epidemic Tuesday night in Dallas, when he ruptured his patella tendon and dislocated his kneecap in Dallas. Unbelievably, Przybilla was only in the starting lineup because Greg Oden had suffered an identical injury less than three weeks earlier.

In all, the Blazers will hobble into tonight's game with an 18-12 record after somehow beating Dallas despite the Przybilla injury, but with six rotation players out, the odds are stacked heavily against them in San Antonio.

Earlier this month, Portland had to use a hardship exemption to sign former Spur Anthony Tolliver. It might have to use another to fill out their roster after Przybilla's injury.

Unless they make a move before tipoff tonight, the Blazers will face the Spurs without a single healthy center. LaMarcus Aldridge, Juwan Howard and rookie Jeff Pendergraph will have to split time at the position (Worth noting: The 36-year-old Howard logged 34 minutes last night).

The upshot, as it pertains to the Spurs: Despite the Blazers' winning record, tonight's game no longer qualifies as one against a quality opponent. It is a game they must win, because they are expected to win. Losing to a laughably depleted Blazers team playing on the second night of a back-to-back, at home, would be not good at all.

Just ask the Mavericks.

Spursmania
12-23-2009, 04:55 PM
"It is a game they must win, because they are expected to win. Losing to a laughably depleted Blazers team playing on the second night of a back-to-back, at home, would be not good at all.

Just ask the Mavericks."

Go Spurs! I'll be at the damn Nutcracker instead of at the game.:bang

crc21209
12-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Shit I don't care that the Blazers are missing so many players, they are still a quality team because of Brandon Roy. The Blazers are way better than the Clippers, Warriors, and Pacers..so this is still somewhat of a test in my eyes....

ffadicted
12-23-2009, 07:19 PM
I was saying shit like this about the Indiana game, and look what happened. I'm keeping my mouth shut away from jinxes this time.