PDA

View Full Version : Any local place sell cheap HDMI cables?

jcrod
12-23-2009, 05:14 PM
I know I can find them cheap on the internet, wondering if i can buy some locally today. Anyone know?

Slomo
12-23-2009, 05:16 PM
http://www.altex.com/

iilluzioN
12-23-2009, 05:17 PM
walmart?

Dex
12-23-2009, 05:20 PM

Probably your best bet. Used to be one by 281 and Bitters, I bet there are a few around town.

Office Max, Office Depot, and the other retailers like Wally World will have them, but will probably be price jacked unless you find them on special.

I don't think San Antonio has caught on to the Frys Electronics thing yet.

jcrod
12-23-2009, 05:23 PM

Damn Slomo you're one of the last person i thought would respond. THANKS! Must of used the place when you were down here.

Sancha
12-23-2009, 05:27 PM
I know a vato that sells that shit out of his trunk. He can get you HDMI cables, jumper cables, steel cables, knitting cables, gift cards from Cabelas, power cables, Cable comics... you name it he has it.

Slomo
12-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Damn Slomo you're one of the last person i thought would respond. THANKS! Must of used the place when you were down here.

:lol

It's the kind of shop us nerds like to spend time in.

And of course I had to re-wire LJ's AV setup for the GTGs :D

CosmicCowboy
12-23-2009, 05:31 PM
I know a vato that sells that shit out of his trunk. He can get you HDMI cables, jumper cables, steel cables, knitting cables, gift cards from Cabelas, power cables, Cable comics... you name it he has it.

:lmao

POTW

panic giraffe
12-23-2009, 05:31 PM
PC OUTLET.

like 15 bucks for the short one, 19 for the long one.

leemajors
12-23-2009, 05:35 PM
fry's

peewee's_lovechild
12-23-2009, 05:45 PM
I got a meat cable you can suck on for really cheap.

Ditty
12-23-2009, 06:21 PM
some cable companys sell them to you cheap but i have to return them if you ever leave the company

TDMVPDPOY
12-23-2009, 08:53 PM
steal ur neighbors...

Dr. Gonzo
12-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Go to a Time Warner place and ask for one.

Spurminator
12-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Everyone needs a friend that works for Best Buy.

PM5K
12-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Goodwill. I just bought a couple a week or two ago for a relative. I think I paid around fifteen bucks for both, retail price for the exact same thing at Walmart was a lot more, somewhere around four times what I paid.

ynh
12-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Blockbuster sells them cheap.. just look where the video games are.

Frenzy
12-24-2009, 12:36 AM
big lots had them for 12.95

resistanze
12-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Monoprice.com

Fdawg07
12-24-2009, 02:10 AM
As funny as it sounds, I actually saw some at Ross the other day. Under $10.

mexicanjunior
12-24-2009, 03:02 AM
big lots had them for 12.95

Yep...Big Lots usually has them at a decent price. If you lived in Dallas, I would recommend Electronic Fry's...

lebomb
12-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Got mine on sale at THE SHACK!!!! They are monster cables also. Never skimp on HDMI cable quality, the better the cable the better the signal.

leemajors
12-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Got mine on sale at THE SHACK!!!! They are monster cables also. Never skimp on HDMI cable quality, the better the cable the better the signal.

Wrong. There is no performance difference between a $5 cable from monoprice.com and a Monster Cable that costs $30. It's been thoroughly tested.

lebomb
12-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Wrong. There is no performance difference between a $5 cable from monoprice.com and a Monster Cable that costs $30. It's been thoroughly tested.

CNET strongly recommends cheap HDMI cables widely available from online retailers instead of the expensive counterparts sold in your local electronics store.

Here's why:

Expensive cables aren't worth it
If you walk into your typical electronics store to buy an HDMI cable, you're likely to see prices upward of $50 with promises of better performance and faster speeds. Do you really need to spend that much money on a single HDMI cable?

Absolutely not--those cables are a rip-off. You should never pay more than $10 for a standard six-foot HDMI cable. And despite what salesmen and manufacturers might tell you, there's no meaningful difference between the $10 cable and the $50 cable. Unless you see something obvious, such as dropouts or a flashing screen, the digital information transmitted by both cables is exactly the same--no cable can make the picture any better or any worse. We've used cables from many different companies in the past--such as Belkin, Accell, Monoprice, Monster, and SimplayHD--and have not run into any consistent issues with any brand of cable. With working cables and solid connections, we've seen no dropouts and "sparklies"--just consistent, dependable, high-quality audio and video. It's that simple.

You are correct......... my bad. Well, I didnt pay much for my HDMI cable anyhow. They were on closeout. :toast

Slomo
12-24-2009, 08:55 AM

Correct.

As a rule of thumb for digital signals, the difference becomes noticeable when the signal deteriorates so much that the device at the other end can not differentiate between a high and a low state (1 or 0). With all the build in redundancy and tolerances that happens for audio at roughly above a 60% signal loss!!!

So for a 5ft. cable you wouldn't notice a difference in quality if you would somehow connect the proper pins using twist wire ties vs. the most expensive gold plated 100$ cable since the signal loss would still be within the allowed tolerance.

leemajors
12-24-2009, 09:11 AM
CNET strongly recommends cheap HDMI cables widely available from online retailers instead of the expensive counterparts sold in your local electronics store.

Here's why:

Expensive cables aren't worth it
If you walk into your typical electronics store to buy an HDMI cable, you're likely to see prices upward of $50 with promises of better performance and faster speeds. Do you really need to spend that much money on a single HDMI cable?

Absolutely not--those cables are a rip-off. You should never pay more than $10 for a standard six-foot HDMI cable. And despite what salesmen and manufacturers might tell you, there's no meaningful difference between the $10 cable and the $50 cable. Unless you see something obvious, such as dropouts or a flashing screen, the digital information transmitted by both cables is exactly the same--no cable can make the picture any better or any worse. We've used cables from many different companies in the past--such as Belkin, Accell, Monoprice, Monster, and SimplayHD--and have not run into any consistent issues with any brand of cable. With working cables and solid connections, we've seen no dropouts and "sparklies"--just consistent, dependable, high-quality audio and video. It's that simple.

You are correct......... my bad. Well, I didnt pay much for my HDMI cable anyhow. They were on closeout. :toast

Monster's had quite a racket going on for a while now. I can't imagine what places like Best Buy charge to "install" your tv and dvd player.

Slomo
12-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Monster's had quite a racket going on for a while now. I can't imagine what places like Best Buy charge to "install" your tv and dvd player.

To be fair, cable quality did play a role in the analogue world.

manustarting2gd
12-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Monoprice.com

2nd this. Monoprice is the shiiiiit. If your looking for a tv mounting bracket, this is the spot to go to as well. Take notice!

phyzik
12-24-2009, 11:12 PM
I *THINK* if you go to a Time Warner Cable store and tell them you need one for your cable box, they might just give you one. Assuming you have an account with them. They ship them with their cable boxes for free I think.

Bender
12-25-2009, 12:22 AM
last time I bought something (DVD player) at Bjorn's in San antonio, they were pushing Monster component cables for $69.95.

now that I just got a blu-ray player and a sony HDTV, I need cheap HDMI cables. I was planning to go with monoprice...