PDA

View Full Version : 12/23 Spurs v Blazers: Worst Spurs game ever?

hsxvvd
12-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Having just sat and watched the game, I'll admit the hurt is fresh, but I'm struggling to think of a (non-playoff) game and result so disappointing in my 18 years of following the spurs.

I sat watching, waiting for the spurs to finally break away and sat stunned in the 3rd as it was Portland that pulled away.

It wasn't a blow out loss, an upset loss, or our normal early lead, late game turn around loss that I've become so accustomed to. This was an expected easy win, that just seemed too hard.

Duncan pounded away at the rookie early on, but that just kept us in the game. Mason hit some clutch shots to get us back in the game, but as a whole, we just limped along waiting to be beaten.

I've been pissed about losing "must-win" games before, and been shatterd by playoff loses to rival teams, but never before have I watched a game and felt so disappointed.

Maybe deep down, the fact that my excuses and optimism are both running out.

xtremesteven33
12-23-2009, 11:34 PM
This was the worst regular season loss of the Duncan/Popovich era...

Spurs Brazil
12-23-2009, 11:34 PM
T-Mac 13pts to finish the game was worst but today I think it's top 5

HarlemHeat37
12-23-2009, 11:36 PM
It's definitely one of them..

I don't usually remember regular season games though, so I can't say for sure..

McGrady's 13 would be #1 if we're just counting heartbreakers, but losing to Houston isn't a big deal in general..

This was definitely top 3 worst reg. season losses since I've been a Spurs fan..

Chomag
ONE of the lowest points in the Spurs since the TD era.

Fisher shot in the LA series, and Dirk getting fouled by Manu in the Dallas series ranks above it still IMO

Supergirl

Indeed. That game was brutal.

Spurs Brazil
12-23-2009, 11:37 PM
I remember also Spurs at Bulls in 01, we lost there and Chicago was worst then the short handed Blazers

itzsoweezee
12-23-2009, 11:42 PM
this is the worst because there's no hope for this spurs team. at least before, you knew the spurs were good regardless. can't say that anymore.

SpursRulez4eVeR
12-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Jeff McDonald: If the Spurs lose tonight, they suck.
:depressed

Budkin
12-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Seriously... I'm glad I didn't see this game. Were guys just asleep or what?

SpursRulez4eVeR
12-23-2009, 11:45 PM
there was no flow of offense and horrible defense overall...not one spurs guards could stay in front of bayless

CP48107
12-23-2009, 11:49 PM
this is the worst because there's no hope for this spurs team. at least before, you knew the spurs were good regardless. can't say that anymore.

No kidding, Portland had no Oden, Przybilla, Brandon Roy, and Rudy Fernandez, and they still beat the Spurs.

I am so angry:bang

J_Paco
12-23-2009, 11:51 PM
This has got to be the lowest point of the season, and the most disappointing loss in recent memory. The ranks just above the loss to Toronto last season, where the team managed to lose to the (piss-poor) Raptors without Bosh or Calderon.

Where does the team go from here? I'm feeling sad to say this, but this is feeling like one of those non-championship seasons ('00 - '02) where the ending is inevitable (we lose).

ElNono
12-23-2009, 11:52 PM
No way. It's disappointing, but not worst ever. Games like .4 come to mind and are much worse, IMHO...

J_Paco
12-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Seriously... I'm glad I didn't see this game. Were guys just asleep or what?

That's putting it nicely, because they played like brain-dead morons out there tonight. Why didn't Pop trap Bayless earlier in the game to force someone else to score?? Where has his defensive philosophies gone in one damn season?

Chomag
12-23-2009, 11:58 PM
No kidding, Portland had no Oden, Przybilla, Brandon Roy, and Rudy Fernandez, and they still beat the Spurs.

I am so angry:bang

Forgot Outlaw. lol

mexicanjunior
12-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Definitely one of the worst regular season losses I can remember...

JordanL
12-24-2009, 04:12 AM
Forgot Outlaw. lol

And Batum, the Blazers best defender.

NZ Spurs
12-24-2009, 04:57 AM
Having just sat and watched the game, I'll admit the hurt is fresh, but I'm struggling to think of a (non-playoff) game and result so disappointing in my 18 years of following the spurs.

The fact that you get this bent out of shape over a regular season game in December is quite frankly pretty sad.

This was an expected easy win, that just seemed too hard.

Yeah it was an expected win, until Jerryd Bayless pulled a career game out of his ass. Not to mention his team hitting all manner of well contested shots. Surely as a Spurs fan for 18 years you will remember Pop's warnings against playing undermanned teams.

These games happen, players get hot. Surely everyone would still take the Spurs in a 7 game series against that Portland team.

TDMVPDPOY
12-24-2009, 05:15 AM
lol at vegas odds, didnt they fav spurs -11 to win hahahah

hsxvvd
12-24-2009, 05:28 AM
The fact that you get this bent out of shape over a regular season game in December is quite frankly pretty sad.

Yep, December. Only December, and unfortunately Pop and the team seem think the same way.

Another thing about December it's only 182 days before the draft.

Not to mention his team hitting all manner of well uncontested shots. fixed.

dastrey
12-24-2009, 05:29 AM
What is really frustrating is that not only are they playing bad, but there is a lack of hustle. Not one player stepped up and tried to change the game with their energy. We have gotten so used to Manu playing 100% and flying around the court. We are used to Tony taking over the game for stretches. We are used to the Spurs playing swarming defense leading to transition buckets. We are used to the Spurs having the best bball IQ in the league. The Spurs have lost their identity. It used to be, other teams would dread playing the Spurs. It wasn't fun to play the Spurs. You had to earn everything against them. That is long gone. It sure looked like Portland was having fun out there last night.

Zero_Twilight
12-24-2009, 05:37 AM
These losses; I must admit, really puzzle the shit out of me.

We aren't getting outplayed but for some reason...teams are taking contested and outlandish shots and are MAKING them. Even down the stretch with a hand in the face....it's demoralizing.

Rebounding could use a little work but I'm puzzled about many of these losses that should be wins...

GrandeDavid
12-24-2009, 05:42 AM

I sat watching, waiting for the spurs to finally break away and sat stunned in the 3rd as it was Portland that pulled away.

It wasn't a blow out loss, an upset loss, or our normal early lead, late game turn around loss that I've become so accustomed to. This was an expected easy win, that just seemed too hard.

Duncan pounded away at the rookie early on, but that just kept us in the game. Mason hit some clutch shots to get us back in the game, but as a whole, we just limped along waiting to be beaten.

I've been pissed about losing "must-win" games before, and been shatterd by playoff loses to rival teams, but never before have I watched a game and felt so disappointed.

I think your post was right on the mark and the people here who are criticizing you for "taking a loss in December seriously" are the ones who are "pretty sad". The Spurs were awful, they have been an utter disappointment this season, and fans who buy tickets and, ultimately, pay salaries have every right to criticize an unfinished or busted product. The Spurs are one huge disappointment thus far, no denying this fact. Fans have every right to vent and demand more. And stop with the 4 championships argument. Its all about now and tomorrow.

Is the season over? Of course not. The Spurs can and probably will pull it together and still make a nice playoff run and get back in contention. But from the head coach on down to the deepest benched reserve, the team is one great letdown. In watching this game it looked like the Spurs were for the most part looking forward to a few days off, while the Blazers earned their pay. Let's hope that there are less games like this down the road.

gospursgojas
12-24-2009, 08:41 AM
I remember also Spurs at Bulls in 01, we lost there and Chicago was worst then the short handed Blazers

I remember that game...Ron Mercer went off, then we signed him a few years later. What happened with that guy? Spurs don't usually release players mid-season, but they did with him.

doobs
12-24-2009, 09:13 AM
By late January, the Spurs will be widely regarded as the second best team in the West. And then there's the Rodeo Road Trip . . .

hsxvvd
12-26-2009, 01:34 AM
Portland just beat Denver, albiet at home and with Brandon Roy back, (both huge boosts) but it does make me feel just a little bit better about our loss.

LOL@MavsFan
12-26-2009, 01:42 AM
having just sat and watched the game, i'll admit the hurt is fresh, but i'm struggling to think of a (non-playoff) game and result so disappointing in my 18 years of following the spurs.

I sat watching, waiting for the spurs to finally break away and sat stunned in the 3rd as it was portland that pulled away.

It wasn't a blow out loss, an upset loss, or our normal early lead, late game turn around loss that i've become so accustomed to. This was an expected easy win, that just seemed too hard.

I've been pissed about losing "must-win" games before, and been shatterd by playoff loses to rival teams, but never before have i watched a game and felt so disappointed.

thispego
12-26-2009, 09:32 AM

yeah right, that was incredible performance and you coudlnt help but leave your sports bar with a smirk on your face for having just witnessed that. That game doesn't even come up n the register of dissapointing games. The Blazer game when they were missing like 7 of their best players and even their coach was on crutches against a Spurs team that was, for the most part, healthy (bonner and finley being out should never afffect the outcome of our games). Thank god i didnt watch it live and broke it up on several sessions on the dvr, otherwise i would have broken shit in my parents house.

thispego
12-26-2009, 09:35 AM
It's definitely one of them..

I don't usually remember regular season games though, so I can't say for sure..

McGrady's 13 would be #1 if we're just counting heartbreakers, but losing to Houston isn't a big deal in general..

This was definitely top 3 worst reg. season losses since I've been a Spurs fan..

5 years?

thispego
12-26-2009, 09:42 AM
I think your post was right on the mark and the people here who are criticizing you for "taking a loss in December seriously" are the ones who are "pretty sad". The Spurs were awful, they have been an utter disappointment this season, and fans who buy tickets and, ultimately, pay salaries have every right to criticize an unfinished or busted product. The Spurs are one huge disappointment thus far, no denying this fact. Fans have every right to vent and demand more. And stop with the 4 championships argument. Its all about now and tomorrow.

Is the season over? Of course not. The Spurs can and probably will pull it together and still make a nice playoff run and get back in contention. But from the head coach on down to the deepest benched reserve, the team is one great letdown. In watching this game it looked like the Spurs were for the most part looking forward to a few days off, while the Blazers earned their pay. Let's hope that there are less games like this down the road.

+++++ :tu

Bartleby
12-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Portland just beat Denver, albiet at home and with Brandon Roy back, (both huge boosts) but it does make me feel just a little bit better about our loss.

And before they played the Spurs they beat Miami and Dallas.

It doesn't make the Spurs loss much more palatable, but it's pretty apparent this injury-plagued Portland team can compete even without some of their key players.

Ditty
12-26-2009, 03:57 PM

yah i agree I remember this loss

i rember after that loss the pop called out his players and they started to get rolling

I remember they beat the pacers the next day pretty good and the pacers were really good that year

hsxvvd
04-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Bump.