PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Mason waits for his shot

duncan228
12-24-2009, 08:57 PM
http://media.mysanantonio.com/images/BKN_Spurs-Mason_1225.ART_GDS7J2BV.1_MASON_BEATS_SUNS.1534553 0.jpg
Tim Duncan (back) celebrates with Roger Mason Jr. last Christmas after Mason hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to beat the Suns.

Spurs' Mason waits for his shot (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Mason_waits_for_his_shot.html)
Jeff McDonald

One year ago today, Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. lined up in the corner at Phoenix's US Airways Center, and let fly with one of the most significant shots of his still-fledgling career.

His buzzer-beating 3-pointer not only gave the Spurs' a miracle victory over the Suns. It also supplied him with a small, personal victory

“At that time with my family, there were a lot of things going on,” Mason said, declining to delve into specifics. “So it was a nice Christmas gift. That was a big moment for me for a lot of reasons.”

It was one of four game-winners for Mason last season, a stretch of crunch-time excellence that earned him the moniker “Big Shot Rog.”

It was a nice moment for the Spurs, too. Christmas 2008 wasn't the last time they defeated a team better than .500. It just feels that way.

One year after Mason's Christmas Day miracle, the Spurs will board a charter flight for Milwaukee, kicking off a two-game road trip that begins Saturday. They are the definition of “just OK,” 15-11 after Wednesday's disheartening home loss to severely shorthanded Portland.

Mason, meanwhile, is still struggling to find his place in a new world order.

A starter for 71 games last season, Mason had hoped to build on his first full campaign as an NBA regular, during which he averaged 11.8 points.

Relegated to bench duty instead, Mason's playing time has been spotty, his role unpredictable. He is averaging about 18 minutes per game, down from around 30 last season. His scoring average has dropped to 6.4 points.

“Coming into the season, the big thing for me was last year was last year,” said Mason, 29. “I had some success, I hit some big shots. I came into the year with some really high expectations.

“Just like life, it didn't go quite the way I planned. Yet.”

Burdened by the weight of his own sky-high expectations, Mason opened the season in a 15-for-54 funk. He appeared to find a groove in late November, producing four consecutive double-digit outings, only to strain a hamstring Nov. 27 at Houston. He didn't return to the regular rotation until a Dec. 15 win at the L.A. Clippers.

All this comes against the backdrop of one of the most important seasons of Mason's basketball life. He is in the final season of the two-year contract he signed with the Spurs in the summer of 2008.

“Of course, I'm aware of the (contract) situation, but I'm a team player,” Mason said. “If you win, it takes care of the rest.”

“But,” he added, “everyone's human, and I know this is a huge year for me.”

With Matt Bonner and Michael Finley sidelined, and with Manu Ginobili not exactly playing like Sixth Man of the Year material, the Spurs have more frequently turned to Mason to provide scoring punch off the bench.

Over the past six games, he has been one of the most consistent Spurs reserves, averaging 10.5 points and hitting 49 percent from the field.

“He's done it under tough circumstances,” said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, referring to Mason's fluctuating role.

“It's to his credit he's been really professional and when we've called on him, he's been ready to go.”

In the 98-94 loss to Portland, Mason scored 16 points, made 4 of 7 3-pointers and kept the Spurs in striking distance with a bevy of big baskets in the second half.

Had the Spurs been able to corral Jarryd Bayless' miss in the waning moments, perhaps it would have set up the first Big Shot Rog moment of 2009.

Instead, there would be no Christmas Eve eve miracle for the Spurs, or for Mason. His payoff, he hopes, is still to come.

“I'm just trying to plug away,” Mason said. “Just trying to make the most of whatever opportunity I get.”

pawe
12-24-2009, 10:20 PM
My favorite Spur! He's starting to pick up steam, I hope he builds enough confidence and keeps firing away while Fin is injured.
Don't think too much Big Shot Rog, just be the cold blooded assassin like last year.

Ice009
12-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Mason Jr. has been playing good lately.

I am thinking it might be worth a shot to start either him or Manu at the 2 guard spot.

Chieflion
12-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Mason needs the minutes. Once he gets them, he is productive. If he doesn't, then he is useless. Free Mason.

thOOdee
12-24-2009, 10:48 PM
mase nows his role....much props

HarlemHeat37
12-25-2009, 12:37 AM
He's actually been giving us a versatile game since his shot returned..some nice passing and some very nice drives to the basket..hopefully he can continue playing like this..it won't matter unless Parker and Ginobili wake up though..

angelbelow
12-25-2009, 01:06 AM
Yea, hes been great the past few games. But from the games ive seen he doesnt really wait to shoot, he just shoots all the time. for the time being, its not a bad thing though since his shot is on.

Danny.Zhu
12-25-2009, 01:29 AM
We could use his expiring contract...But wait for him to play better so the bait is even sweeter.