PDA

View Full Version : Spurs at Bucks Previews

duncan228
12-25-2009, 02:08 PM
San Antonio (15-11) at Milwaukee (12-15) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009122615&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:30 pm EST Sat Dec 26, 2009
TV: FSSW, FSWI
By Santosh Venkataraman

A two-game trip against Eastern Conference teams with poor records could help the San Antonio Spurs get back on the winning track.

It begins with Richard Jefferson returning to the Bradley Center on Saturday night when the Spurs try to complete a season sweep of the Milwaukee Bucks.

San Antonio (15-11) is 2-10 against teams that are .500 or better, but has won 13 straight against teams which currently own losing records since a 92-85 loss at Chicago on Oct. 29. The Spurs lost for the second time in eight games Wednesday with a 98-94 home defeat to Portland.

“I don’t pay too much attention to that,” guard Roger Mason said. “A lot of times it’s not so much who we are playing but how we are handling our assessments and our assignments and doing the things we are supposed to do.”

The Spurs will visit New York on Sunday after Jefferson makes his return to Milwaukee (12-15). Jefferson averaged a team-high 19.6 points in 2008-09 in his only season with Milwaukee with an injured Michael Redd limited to 33 games.

San Antonio acquired Jefferson from Milwaukee in the offseason for three players, with only Kurt Thomas remaining on the Bucks roster. Jefferson, though, is scoring 13.4 points per game for his lowest average since his 2001-02 rookie season with New Jersey.

Jefferson wasn’t much of a factor with 11 points in a 112-98 home victory over Milwaukee on Nov. 23. Tim Duncan had 24 points and 12 rebounds as the Spurs led by as many as 21 points.

A 12-point effort in that loss marked the start of the decline for Milwaukee rookie Brandon Jennings, who averaged 25.3 points in the Bucks’ 8-3 start prior to that contest. Milwaukee has since lost 12 of 16, with the point guard averaging 15.8 points on 34.6 percent shooting.

Jennings had the worst game of his career after getting into early foul trouble Wednesday in a 109-97 home loss to Washington. He went 3 of 9 from the field for a season-worst seven points and committed three turnovers in a season-low 16 minutes.

“He looked out of sorts from the very beginning and looked tentative and then got fouls,” coach Scott Skiles said. “This hasn’t happened to him very much where he’s had to deal with foul trouble in a game.”

Redd made his first start at home since Oct. 31 and scored a season-high 32 points.

While the Bucks are trying to figure out how to get Jennings going again, the Spurs are looking for answers to their uneven play. San Antonio had its streak of scoring at least 100 points in eight straight games end Wednesday as it trailed the entire fourth quarter.

“It was a real tough loss,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “I thought that down the stretch in the fourth quarter we started to play with more aggressiveness and more urgency - which we didn’t have in early parts of the game.”

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili, who missed the first meeting with Milwaukee with a groin strain, is averaging 8.4 points over his last five games on 30.6 percent shooting.

Team Stat Leaders

Brandon Jennings Mil 19.7

Rebounds
Tim Duncan SA 10.5
Andrew Bogut Mil 10.0

Assists
Tony Parker SA 5.6
Brandon Jennings Mil 6.0

xtremesteven33
12-25-2009, 02:45 PM
I have no idea WTF to expect from this team anymore...

TIMMYD!
12-25-2009, 03:06 PM

Same here and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose.

boutons_deux
12-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Low expectations will probably be rewarded.

Galileo
12-25-2009, 04:18 PM
I have an extra ticket for this game. We will be at Major Goulsby's sports bar before the game, a block from the stadium. Please call Galileo if you want to go. Great seats in lower level.

Galileo's cell: 608-279-5889.

duncan228
12-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Preview: Bucks vs. Spurs (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/80121807.html)

About the Spurs: San Antonio has won three of its last four games but is coming off a 98-94 home-court loss to Portland on Wednesday night. Tim Duncan had 24 points and 11 rebounds in that game, and Richard Jefferson added 18 points. Duncan scored a game-winning dunk to lift the Spurs past Indiana, 100-99, on Dec. 19 and hand coach Gregg Popovich his 700th career victory. Popovich reached the 700 mark the third-fastest in league history (in 1,040 games), behind only Phil Jackson and Pat Riley. San Antonio has won 13 straight games against teams with losing records. The Spurs are making a quick trip to play back-to-back nights in Milwaukee and New York.

PLAYER TO WATCH

RICHARD JEFFERSON, Spurs

Jefferson was the subject of a major off-season move by the Bucks when they traded him to San Antonio as part of a three-team deal two days before the NBA draft in June. He has struggled at times to fit in with his new team and is averaging 13.4 points and 4.0 rebounds while starting all 26 games at small forward. Jefferson is shooting 35.3% from the three-point line (24 of 68) and 71% from the free-throw line (76 of 107) while playing 31.8 minutes per game. He averaged 19.6 points while starting all 82 games for the Bucks last season.

LINEUPS

PROBABLE SPURS STARTERS

Player Ht. From
G-Keith Bogans 6-5 Kentucky
G-Tony Parker 6-2 France
F-Richard Jefferson 6-7 Arizona
F-Tim Duncan 6-11 Wake Forest
C-DeJuan Blair 6-7 Pittsburgh

Coach: Gregg Popovich (14th season, 701-341).

Injury report: Michael Finley (sprained left ankle) and Matt Bonner (fractured right hand) are out.

PROBABLE BUCKS STARTERS

Player Ht. From
G-Michael Redd 6-6 Ohio State
G-Brandon Jennings 6-1 Oak Hill (Va.)
F-Ersan Ilyasova 6-10 Turkey
F-Carlos Delfino 6-6 Argentina
C-Andrew Bogut 7-0 Utah

Coach: Scott Skiles (second season, 46-63; 10th overall, 327-314).

Injury report: Joe Alexander (right hamstring strain) is out. Dan Gadzuric (strained left patella tendon) is day-to-day.

THE SERIES

The Spurs won the first game this season, a 112-98 victory over the Bucks on Nov. 23 in San Antonio. The Bucks trail all-time, 36-35, and have a 23-12 advantage at home.

NUMBERS GAME

107 Games played by Bucks forward Kurt Thomas during his years with the Spurs.

2,498 Career rebounds for Bogut.

9-6 Bucks' home-court record.

- Charles F. Gardner

timtonymanu
12-25-2009, 10:44 PM
I thought that Suns loss would light a fire under the guy's asses. Then they lose to Portland. I dont know what to expect tomorrow, but I hope the Spurs play with some passion. No more of this cruising shit.

raspsa
12-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Bogut playing well. Redd is back. If Jennings has a decent game, watch out.

cd98
12-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Bogut always kills the Spurs. He's the best big man no one knows about.

slick'81
12-26-2009, 12:25 AM
bucks used to own sa, okc now has that distinction

still spurs are probably gonna have to scratch and claw for this one

Amuseddaysleeper
12-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Pop need to truly hold players accountable instead of playing the "they're veterans, they know what to do" bs.

He needs to just absolutely rip into the team like the old days.

murpjf88
12-26-2009, 12:42 AM
win or lose, doesn't matter.

Why not?

jdev82
12-26-2009, 05:41 AM
I have an extra ticket for this game. We will be at Major Goulsby's sports bar before the game, a block from the stadium. Please call Galileo if you want to go. Great seats in lower level.

Galileo's cell: 608-279-5889.

you should yell something distinctive, ill be there at the BC an hour early trying to get autographs

jdev82
12-26-2009, 05:42 AM
Bogut playing well. Redd is back. If Jennings has a decent game, watch out.

lol have you seen redd play recently? hes an embarrassment to basketball

twincam
12-26-2009, 08:18 AM
I recent years, the Bucks have always had the Spurs' number. So I agree, it would be as of NO surprise for them (Spurs) to lose. Need to be realistic about this team. They couldn't beat a Portland team with multiple injured (key) players. Embarrassing.

biziofromdowntown
12-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Bogut is goin to kill us.

cd98
12-26-2009, 09:45 AM

Yes, but you know the one game that he will go off in will be against the Spurs.

benefactor
12-26-2009, 09:51 AM
After that pathetic display we attempted to call basketball the other night, this team really needs to do something convincing. Getting this back to back would be a nice start.

SCdac
12-26-2009, 10:09 AM
This should be a good game in further assessing Parker's season defensively. Last month when these teams met, Parker and Hill did a good job of holding Jennings to 12 points on 6-21 shooting and 0-2 from beyond the arch. I'm hoping we can see more of that, and a strong win. Jennings has been shooting pretty badly the last dozen or so games, and the Bucks have dropped 4 of their last 5. Jennings, Redd, and Bogut no doubt looking to win this one on their home court. As far as the team goes, Ginobili is due for a big game, I'd like to see McDyess back in the starting lineup, and hopefully Pop doesn't resort to a small lineup when we least need it.

raspsa
12-26-2009, 10:17 AM

He's coming back from injury. You do know he scored 32 points against the Wizaeds a couple of days ago?

shelshor
12-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Referee Assignments
Sat. Dec 26
San Antonio @ Milwaukee: Joe DeRosa; Matt Boland; Tony Brown

Solid D
12-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Bogut didn't play in the game in SA. Bogut typically gives Duncan big problems. The Spurs won't have Matt Bonner to space the floor and knock down 6 of 8 threes, like he did against the Bucks in November, either.

Signs of Fail:
Spurs not hitting their outside shots.
Bogut is getting charging calls with his oft-attempted flops.
The 3rd guard that Parker is defending is scoring at will.

Signs of Win:
Spurs getting to the FT line and hitting 45% or>
Bogut in foul trouble
Spurs defending mid-range jumpers when Redd, Bell, Jennings and Ridenaur pull up in the seams. Mid-range is the Bucks strength.

ffadicted
12-26-2009, 02:17 PM

Yeah, exactly. I don't even know what to predict. :depressed

:flag: hoping for a win of course :flag:

ashbeeigh
12-26-2009, 02:52 PM
I expect a loss. It's the Bucks.

DPG21920
12-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Bucks have played surprisingly well. Bogut has elevated his level of play and even though Jennings has come back down to earth, he has still played very well. Plus, they are getting solid contributions from guys like Luke and Bell.

Should be another tough game, even though the opponent does not appear to be "strong".

GrandeDavid
12-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Traditionally the Spurs would come back and win a game like this after a humiliating home loss, but the way things are going this season I have no idea if they have it in them to win this game. I love the Spurs but my confidence is flat out shot in this team. I guess the Spurs might win...maybe?

Chomag
12-26-2009, 03:50 PM
We should have a pole asking whether Theo Ratliff will get to play or not.

Solid D
12-26-2009, 05:58 PM
We should have a pole asking whether Theo Ratliff will get to play or not.

The only one I know would be Polandprzem. Why do you want a pole to ask if Theo will get to play?

DPG21920
12-26-2009, 05:59 PM
The only one I know would be Polandprzem. Why do you want a pole to ask if Theo will get to play?

Damn your humor. :lol

cd98
12-26-2009, 07:56 PM
I don't know why people don't talk more about Bogut. I'd love to have him on my team. He is a solid rebounder, a good shooter, a decent low post scorer, and is a terrific passer. And he's a legit 7 footer. People have forgotten about him because he's a Buck.

Galileo
12-27-2009, 01:52 AM
I had a great time at the game. I gave my ticket to a homeless person for a Christmas present and bought him dinner at Major Goolsby's.