PDA

View Full Version : Passenger tries to blow up plane (fails)

sook
12-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Nigerian man with link to Al Queda it seems.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_airliner_disturbance

ChumpDumper
12-25-2009, 07:18 PM
The hell kind of flight goes from Nigeria to Detroit?

MannyIsGod
12-25-2009, 08:01 PM
The hell kind of flight goes from Nigeria to Detroit?

From Amsterdam to Detroit.

MannyIsGod
12-25-2009, 08:01 PM
BTW, seems as though the White House is afraid to call terrorist attacks terrorist attacks.

EmptyMan
12-25-2009, 08:07 PM
A law enforcement source said the explosives may have been strapped to the man's body but investigators weren't immediately certain, partly because of the struggle with other passengers.

lgoXUzIwXk0

balli
12-25-2009, 08:49 PM
The passengers should've killed the guy. Fuck a judge, fuck a jury... right then and there they should have just bludgeoned his head against an armrest until his brain leaked out.

From Amsterdam to Detroit.

I believe Amsterdam was just a layover site.

ChumpDumper
12-25-2009, 08:54 PM
I believe Amsterdam was just a layover site.That's the way the news story reads.

scampers
12-25-2009, 09:00 PM
The flight went from Nigeria to Amsterdam to Detroit. Not all that out of the ordinary.

I'm flying in to Detroit in 2 days... not looking forward to what the "extra precautions" during security screening will be.

iggypop123
12-25-2009, 09:44 PM
i wonder how many seconds it will take for somebody to say he has ties to obama

MannyIsGod
12-25-2009, 09:44 PM
I've gone through DTW several times over the past year and a half. The security has never seemed any different but if the Plane originated overseas then I don't see how changing OUR security here makes a difference.

MannyIsGod
12-25-2009, 09:45 PM
The passengers should've killed the guy. Fuck a judge, fuck a jury... right then and there they should have just bludgeoned his head against an armrest until his brain leaked out.

Dude, you scare me sometimes. And by sometimes I mean over 90% of your posts.

jack sommerset
12-25-2009, 10:57 PM

Should have thrown him out of the plane. The mofo tried to kill a shitload of folks.

balli
12-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Dude, you scare me sometimes. And by sometimes I mean over 90% of your posts.
Maybe. (In reality, it's probably more like 5%)

But now? Dude, the guy tried to blow up a plane on behalf of Al Qaeda. He tried to kill scores if not hundreds of Americans.

Why would it scare you that someone would want violence enacted against this guy? (from his fellow passengers? i.e. the people he was trying to kill)

Anyways, I don't remember you chastising all the people who checked into the 'what would you do to Bin Laden' thread.

sook
12-25-2009, 11:25 PM
from what it seems it was like a firecracker from the witnesses.

I was wondering how he would manage to get an explosion, he would need wayyyy more than what he had. As expected it caused a fire and on CNN I heard he caught his crotch and pants on fire. And the then the fire burned the blanket and thats all that happened.

Cry Havoc
12-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Should have thrown him out of the plane. The mofo tried to kill a shitload of folks.

Yes, because opening a pressurized cabin while in flight is an awesome idea.

lefty
12-26-2009, 01:47 PM
from what it seems it was like a firecracker from the witnesses.

I was wondering how he would manage to get an explosion, he would need wayyyy more than what he had. As expected it caused a fire and on CNN I heard he caught his crotch and pants on fire. And the then the fire burned the blanket and thats all that happened.

Ask the CIA

balli
12-26-2009, 02:14 PM
It wasn't just a fire cracker. Some NSA or FBI guy or some such source said that whatever the device was, it was somewhat intricate in its design and had it worked right, it would have taken down the plane. Plus, the would-be terrorist was a chemistry student.

baseline bum
12-26-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm with balli. I would have strangled that fucker right there. No way anyone would have testified anyways, and what jury of 12 would ever convict me for killing a suicide bomber in self defense?

Viva Las Espuelas
12-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Ha. I need to investigate some peoples stance on "torture" when I'm bored. Too funny

Viva Las Espuelas
12-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Apparently this guy has been on our radar for a while. What's with this trend? It's really not workin', people.

balli
12-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Ha. I need to investigate some peoples stance on "torture" when I'm bored. Too funny

That's because you're a fucking moron. One who can't understand the difference between public/state policy and some private citizen's vigilant action against their would-be killer.

boutons_deux
12-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Sounds like (US) security botched, yet again, defense of the Homeland, while keeping 1000s of innocents on the watch list, while harassing millions of people with their plane check-in security charade, and investigating anti-war demonstrators and anti-Repug demonstrators.

http://rawstory.com/2009/12/nigerian-man-attempts-blow-airliner/

boutons_deux
12-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Plus, the would-be terrorist was a chemistry student.

"University College London issued a statement saying a student named Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab studied mechanical engineering there between September 2005 and June 2008."

http://www.salon.com/news/2009/12/26/us_airliner_attack_1/index.html

Winehole23
12-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Ha. I need to investigate some peoples stance on "torture" when I'm bored.Related: http://volokh.com/2009/12/24/perceptions-of-necessity-and-the-choice-between-killing-and-detaininginterrogating-terrorist-suspects/

EmptyMan
12-26-2009, 05:56 PM
I wonder what percentage of flights have an Air Marshal on board?

balli
12-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Related: http://volokh.com/2009/12/24/perceptions-of-necessity-and-the-choice-between-killing-and-detaininginterrogating-terrorist-suspects/

I can't speak for everybody, but 'necessity' matters very little to me. I'm misanthropic enough that I could really care less about 'extremely bad things' our government does, necessary or otherwise. Just in the name of self-interest though, I don't think America needs or ought to brag about doing them.

Nor do I believe the only way to determine an individual terrorist's guilt is through a system of due process. That needs to be our public stance, in stone. But if the CIA wants to keep for itself a room without doors or windows- hey, fine by this American.

Crookshanks
12-26-2009, 06:52 PM
It's good that the American people are being vigilant, because it sure seems our government isn't!

ChumpDumper
12-26-2009, 06:57 PM
It's good that the American people are being vigilant, because it sure seems our government isn't!What should the government have done in this particular case, given everything you now know about it?

balli
12-26-2009, 06:59 PM
It's good that the American people are being vigilant, because it sure seems our government isn't!
What a stupid bitch you are.

boutons_deux
12-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Hey Crooky, regale us with tales of how vigilant your beloved gang of dubya/dickhead/condi were in the months leading up to 9/11.

Crookshanks
12-26-2009, 08:34 PM
The guy's father went to the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria and told them of his concerns - but the government said it wasn't enough to put him on the watch list or revoke his visa. Seems his father was right - and if this guy had suceeded with his plan, everybody would've been screaming about it - saying why didn't they pay more attention?

And balli - you said you would've killed him if you'd been on that plane - so all I said was it was a good thing the passengers were being vigilant. Isn't that a good thing?

balli
12-26-2009, 08:59 PM
If you hate America so much and think it so incapable get the fuck out. This country doesn't need trash like you constantly bad mouthing it.

PixelPusher
12-26-2009, 09:51 PM
The plot to blow up an American passenger jet over Detroit was organized and launched by al Qaeda leaders in Yemen who apparently sewed bomb materials into the suspect's underwear before sending him on his mission, federal authorities tell ABC News.

Are we going to have to strip and send our undies through the scanner now?

Jacob1983
12-26-2009, 10:17 PM
I can't stand terrorists. They always make things worse for people. Airport and airline rules just got stricter because of this dumb-ass. I hope this douche bag gets life for this shit.

Crookshanks
12-26-2009, 11:04 PM
If you hate America so much and think it so incapable get the fuck out. This country doesn't need trash like you constantly bad mouthing it.

Yeah - kinda like you with the Bush Administration. Now all of a sudden you're so pro-America. You're such a tool. And a pathetic one at that.

I'm not bad-mouthing the country - I'm criticizing the policies of this administration.

ChumpDumper
12-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Yeah - kinda like you with the Bush Administration. Now all of a sudden you're so pro-America. You're such a tool. And a pathetic one at that.

I'm not bad-mouthing the country - I'm criticizing the policies of this administration.To which specific policy of this administration are you referring?

jag
12-27-2009, 06:09 AM

What the hell is wrong with you? Serious question. It seems like you live the most hate-filled life of anyone i've come in contact with in a long time.

Winehole23
12-27-2009, 06:12 AM
It's nothing that serious, Balli just hates people. Don't take it personally,_JaG.

jag
12-27-2009, 06:32 AM
It's nothing that serious, Balli just hates people. Don't take it personally,_JaG.

I, personally, will be perfectly fine. It just seems like he needs a mother's love...like a hug. Or bottle of Zoloft.

Bukefal
12-27-2009, 07:45 AM
The Dutch guy who stopped him is a hero. Some courage, amen to that.

EmptyMan
12-27-2009, 10:07 AM
LOL, dude went from being the son of an Elite Banker to being some chump on a plane that caught his crotch on fire.

boutons_deux
12-27-2009, 07:22 PM
One incident and 100s of Ms of innocent passengers will be ridiculously penalized in-flight, with the authorities admitting by these new rules that their check-in security is a charade.

http://www.gadling.com/2009/12/26/breaking-news-possible-new-tsa-rules-in-effect-after-terror-att/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fgadling+%28Gadli ng%29&utm_content=Netvibes

Oh, Gee!!
12-28-2009, 10:47 AM
caught his crotch on fire.

ouch! that's gotta hurt.

Crookshanks
12-28-2009, 11:42 AM
This guy bought a one-way ticket, with cash, and checked NO luggage. He was practically screaming "I'm a terrorist" - but no one was listening. If not for dumb luck, we'd have had another Lockerbie incident on our hands.

But you can be sure Al-Quaida is working out the kinks and will strike again. Just like the first WTC bombing was unsuccessful - so they went back to the drawing board and figured out a new plan - and 3,000 people died.

WAKE UP AMERICA! November 2010 can't come fast enough.

boutons_deux
12-28-2009, 12:08 PM
"3,000 people died"

... because the Repugs and neo-c*nts were ideologically committed to ignoring anything Clinton had done, like pay attention to terrorists.

3000 people died because the Repugs were willfully negligent, intending to use any (permitted) attack as a lying pretext to go after Iran's oil, which is exactly what did.

exstatic
12-28-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm not bad-mouthing the country - I'm criticizing the policies of this administration.

It's a shame that's a distinction YOU couldn't see from 2001-2009.

spursncowboys
12-28-2009, 12:20 PM
This guy bought a one-way ticket, with cash, and checked NO luggage. He was practically screaming "I'm a terrorist" - but no one was listening. If not for dumb luck, we'd have had another Lockerbie incident on our hands.

But you can be sure Al-Quaida is working out the kinks and will strike again. Just like the first WTC bombing was unsuccessful - so they went back to the drawing board and figured out a new plan - and 3,000 people died.

WAKE UP AMERICA! November 2010 can't come fast enough.
He wasn't the seventh passenger.

ElNono
12-28-2009, 12:22 PM
What should the government have done in this particular case, given everything you now know about it?

To which specific policy of this administration are you referring?

I bet she drives a Dodge... :lol

boutons_deux
12-28-2009, 12:26 PM
yep, any dissent in 2001-2009 was shouted down as treasonously un American.

aka, Repugs EQUALS USA.

Also, the Repugs were in power for 8 months when 9/11 hit, but they weren't in any way responsible (Clinton was fully responsible),

but Magik Negro is 1000% responsible for the Christmas Day Crotch Burner.

DarrinS
12-28-2009, 12:49 PM
yep, any dissent in 2001-2009 was shouted down as treasonously un American.

aka, Repugs EQUALS USA.

Also, the Repugs were in power for 8 months when 9/11 hit, but they weren't in any way responsible (Clinton was fully responsible),

but Magik Negro is 1000% responsible for the Christmas Day Crotch Burner.

WTF is wrong with you? Maybe you should switch to decaf.

Cane
12-28-2009, 01:19 PM
WTF is wrong with you? Maybe you should switch to decaf.

Damn you can't pull that card with a trolling avatar pic like that. :lol

baseline bum
12-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Wow. Buying a one-way ticket with cash and bringing a carry-on makes you a terrorist? LMAO. What the fuck? That's the stupidest thing I have ever read here, which is really saying a lot with the Wild Cobras and spursncowboys of the world polluting this forum with their nonsense.

ElNono
12-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Wow. Buying a one-way ticket with cash and bringing a carry-on makes you a terrorist? LMAO. What the fuck? That's the stupidest thing I have ever read here, which is really saying a lot with the Wild Cobras and spursncowboys of the world polluting this forum with their nonsense.

It's not their fault... people like Crookskanks have been indoctrinated into believing such shit and being scared.

DarrinS
12-28-2009, 02:26 PM

http://www.overthinkingit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Jessep.jpg

Absolutely. My answer is I don't have the first damn clue. Maybe he was an early riser and liked to pack in the morning. And maybe he didn't have any friends. I'm an educated man, but I'm afraid I can't speak intelligently about the travel habits of William Santiago. What I do know is that he was set to leave the base at 0600. Now, are these the questions I was really called here to answer? Phone calls and foot lockers? Please tell me that you have something more, Lieutenant. These two Marines are on trial for their lives. Please tell me their lawyer hasn't pinned their hopes to a phone bill.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-28-2009, 02:37 PM

Indeed. It's actually more common than most think.

I've done the AMS to DTW leg many times and you see some pretty strange shit on those flights.

The odd thing to me is that the security at Schipol is usually pretty good.

EmptyMan
12-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Christmas Day Crotch Burner

You should copyright that and send it to the networks. srs

EmptyMan
12-28-2009, 04:53 PM

I guess multiple federal air marshals are stupid. It's a sign that fits a common profile. Not as solid as a father contacting an embassy and telling them his son could be a terrorist, but a sign nonetheless.

ElNono
12-28-2009, 05:39 PM
I guess multiple federal air marshals are stupid. It's a sign that fits a common profile.

The 'paid with cash' profile narrows it down to basically almost all of third world country citizens, most of which have no access to credit.
Some profiles do work for america in general, but when your target is foreign nationals, you simply need to stop regurgitating the bullshit you heard on Fox news and use your head instead.

As far as his dad's warnings... Well, how many of those do the government receive each day? I'll tell you that if the number is small, then I will agree is silly not to go into a fishing expedition... but I would think the number is pretty high, and so how do you asses what leads to follow or not?
Wouldn't that be a weak point to be exploited by the enemy?

Crookshanks
12-29-2009, 01:09 AM
Hmmm - even CAIR agrees with my statement. They said you can't profile just on a person's skin color or the fact they're muslim, but those other things - like buying a one-way ticket with cash and not checking any luggage - those are legitimate profiling red flags.

You libs just won't admit this was a screw-up and it was a miracle no one but the would-be bomber was injured.

Oh - and considering WHO his father was and is - his concerns should've been taken more seriously. This wasn't some poor, uneducated dude making rambling statements.

baseline bum
12-29-2009, 06:57 AM
Hmmm - even CAIR agrees with my statement. They said you can't profile just on a person's skin color or the fact they're muslim, but those other things - like buying a one-way ticket with cash and not checking any luggage - those are legitimate profiling red flags.

You libs just won't admit this was a screw-up and it was a miracle no one but the would-be bomber was injured.

Oh - and considering WHO his father was and is - his concerns should've been taken more seriously. This wasn't some poor, uneducated dude making rambling statements.

I always buy my ticket with cash because buying something with money you don't have on a credit card is retarded. I hate checking luggage if I don't need to because the airlines are incompetent and I don't like having to wait days to get my bag back when they lose it. I guess logic screams terrorism.

Kori Ellis
12-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Crookshanks is right that the one-way ticket/cash/no checked luggage are some of the common profiling tactics. When I lived in L.A. and was coming to visit San Antonio on the weekends, I would get one-way tickets (because they were discounted) and not check luggage, and I'd get pulled out of line for further review every time. Finally the airport security just told me to stop buying one-way tickets in cash and then I wouldn't have three flags every trip. And I was just a white girl traveling domestically :)

jag
12-29-2009, 07:50 AM
It's not their fault... people like Crookskanks have been indoctrinated into believing such shit and being scared.

I wasn't aware that foreign posters were so interested and knowledgeable concerning US political affairs. Maybe i should start reading up on Argentinian political policy.

baseline bum
12-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Crookshanks is right that the one-way ticket/cash/no checked luggage are some of the common profiling tactics. When I lived in L.A. and was coming to visit San Antonio on the weekends, I would get one-way tickets (because they were discounted) and not check luggage, and I'd get pulled out of line for further review every time. Finally the airport security just told me to stop buying one-way tickets in cash and then I wouldn't have three flags every trip. And I was just a white girl traveling domestically :)

TSA's really going to love my cash-paying, no bag-checking, one-way flying ass next time when I also bring my metal Bill of Rights (that I got at the Penn & Teller Show's giftshop in Vegas) through the metal detector next time I fly.

http://www.strangenewproducts.com/uploaded_images/bill-of-rights-security-edition-763236.jpg

jag
12-29-2009, 07:56 AM
TSA's really going to love my cash-paying, no bag-checking, one-way flying ass next time when I also bring my metal Bill of Rights (that I got at the Penn & Teller Show's giftshop in Vegas) through the metal detector next time I fly.

http://www.strangenewproducts.com/uploaded_images/bill-of-rights-security-edition-763236.jpg

haha i agree...but that doesn't mean they wont won't take you to a room and strip you booty ass naked once you start getting mouthy.

ElNono
12-29-2009, 09:11 AM
I wasn't aware that foreign posters were so interested and knowledgeable concerning US political affairs. Maybe i should start reading up on Argentinian political policy.

I'm not a foreign poster. I live in America and travel both domestically and internationally all the time. And maybe you should read up more on global affairs. Certainly won't hurt.

If you want to make this about me, just start a new thread. We're discussing something else here.

ElNono
12-29-2009, 09:17 AM

You can easily create a profile for Americans flying either domestically or internationally with the paid-with-cash red flag. But credit cards are a lot less common than the average American thinks they are internationally. Take Nigeria, where this guy was coming from: Credit card usage is pretty much non-existent. It's only pretty much reserved to top of the line luxury hotels. Almost every Nigerian will pay cash for their plane tickets this year.
The one-way/no luggage parts we can certainly argue about.

ploto
12-29-2009, 09:24 AM
In college, I flew to DFW all the time and I paid with cash and did not check baggage. I was just going for the weekend and only needed a carry-on. Who wants to wait for their baggage?

TDMVPDPOY
12-29-2009, 10:35 AM

had similar incident here this year, some international student killed some fella, dude manage to buy a ticket with cash on someone elses passport same night and flee the country, dude is still on the run in india and they wont turn him in over to aus authorities.....oh wait a $12b trade deal between aus-india is more important then trying to bring this wanker back to australia to face the justice system.

ppl that are suspicious, do they sit nexto t he air marshals? lol this guy mustve been in the right place at the right time....

boutons_deux
12-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Joe "Mad Jew/Kill All the Muslims NOW!" Lieberman is using this attack to call for yet another war on Muslims in Yemen or wherever.

Let's see all you kids and grand kids get drafted to fight your bullshit wars, Joe.

Oh, Gee!!
12-29-2009, 10:53 AM
imo, the whole "sneaking-a-bomb-onto-an-airplane-in-the-crotch-of-my-pants" scenario is far more distressing than whether the idiot paid with cash or credit. and the fact that crookskanks wants to pin blame on democrats makes her an even bigger idiot than the crotch-bomber, imo.

boutons_deux
12-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Hey Crooky, here's some facts which counter your terrorism-is-Magic-Negro's fault, not that you'd ever let facts puncture your fantasy.

http://www.alternet.org/images/site/logo.gif
Thanks to GOP Obstructionists, TSA Has Little Money, No One In Charge

By Steve Benen, Washington Monthly
Posted on December 29, 2009, Printed on December 29, 2009
http://www.alternet.org/bloggers/http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/144848/

DEMINT BLOCKS TSA NOMINEE.... A few weeks ago, there was a mildly embarrassing dust-up over the Transportation Security Administration posting materials online that, if manipulated, revealed sensitive security information. When "The Daily Show" did a segment (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-december-9-2009/theory-v--practice---tsa-leak) on this, Jon Stewart highlighted the fact that the TSA doesn't actually have an administrator.
What Stewart didn't mention is why (http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/81356.html).
An attempt to blow up a trans-Atlantic flight from Amsterdam to Detroit on Christmas Day would be all-consuming for the administrator of the Transportation Security Administration -- if there were one.

Instead, the post remains vacant because Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., has held up President Barack Obama's nominee in an effort to prevent TSA workers from joining a labor union.
President Obama nominated Erroll Southers, a former FBI special agent and a counterterrorism expert, to head the TSA a few months ago. Southers is the Los Angeles World Airports Police Department assistant chief for homeland security and intelligence, and the associate director of the University of Southern California's Center for Risk and Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events. Two Senate committees considered the nomination, and easily approved Southers with bipartisan support.

But the Senate hasn't been able to vote on the nomination because DeMint hates unions, and isn't sure if Southers might allow TSA workers to organize. Without that guarantee, DeMint not only opposes Southers' nomination, but prefers to leave the Transportation Security Administration without a permanent administrator.

This realization, in the wake of the attempted terrorism on Christmas, should make DeMint back down. It hasn't -- he still supports blocking Southers' nomination until he knows TSA workers won't unionize. The terrorist threat is bad, but the threat of collective bargaining is the real danger.

Also note, congressional Republicans also opposed funding (http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1209/GOP_blame_at_TSA.html) for the TSA, including money for screening operations and explosives detection systems.

The GOP is desperate to politicize the attempted terrorism. That's probably not a good idea.

© 2009 Washington Monthly All rights reserved.
View this story online at: http://www.alternet.org/bloggers/http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/144848/

DarrinS
12-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Hey Crooky, here's some facts which counter your terrorism-is-Magic-Negro's fault, not that you'd ever let facts puncture your fantasy.

You seem to be having this debate only with yourself.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Hey boutons, you think if the TSA gets to unionize that won't have a (negative) effect on the quality of work from those folks? Wake the fuck up and get out of mom's basement.

Winehole23
12-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Two of the four leaders allegedly behind the al Qaeda plot to blow up a Northwest Airlines passenger jet over Detroit were released by the U.S. from the Guantanamo prison in November, 2007, according to American officials and Department of Defense documents...

...American officials agreed to send the two terrorists from Guantanamo to Saudi Arabia where they entered into an "art therapy rehabilitation program" and were set free, according to U.S. and Saudi officials. http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/men-believed-northwest-airlines-plot-set-free/story?id=9434065

(N.B., this is yet another Brian Ross story based on uncorroborated, anonymous gov't sources -- but I'll be interested to see how the tuff on terra diaper brigade spins this one, or doesn't. The temptation to use the story as a bulwark against the closing of the detention facility at Gitmo -- or the further release of detainees -- will be hard for some to resist, but the price will be accepting that GWB sent *terrorists* to art therapy.)

boutons_deux
12-29-2009, 12:12 PM
"a (negative) effect on the quality of work from those folks"

it sucks already. what's the difference?

no funding and no director are less important than unions for deMented. SC has some truly entertaining Repug asshole politicians.

EmptyMan
12-29-2009, 01:27 PM
The 'paid with cash' profile narrows it down to basically almost all of third world country citizens, most of which have no access to credit.
Some profiles do work for america in general, but when your target is foreign nationals, you simply need to stop regurgitating the bullshit you heard on Fox news and use your head instead.

LOLLOLOLOL @ you son. The process of profiling as a legitimate tool is obviously common sense. I'm not even arguing this was the dems or reps fault, using my head I am fully aware they don't really care in the first place. I simply said the no cash/baggage/etc can be used as a trigger to look for other signs which were OBVIOUS, using my head, on this individual. What are you bitching about?

Enjoy your weak politically correct candyland as it gets crotch blown to the ground. :lol

EmptyMan
12-29-2009, 01:30 PM

Too bad the 4th amendment doesn't completely apply to locations such as Airports brah.

ElNono
12-29-2009, 01:54 PM
LOLLOLOLOL @ you son. The process of profiling as a legitimate tool is obviously common sense. I'm not even arguing this was the dems or reps fault, using my head I am fully aware they don't really care in the first place. I simply said the no cash/baggage/etc can be used as a trigger to look for other signs which were OBVIOUS, using my head, on this individual. What are you bitching about?

Enjoy your weak politically correct candyland as it gets crotch blown to the ground. :lol

While I was responding to your post, I was actually making reference to Crookskanks in that sentence you highlighted.
But since you decided to pick up the ball, tell us, what were the OBVIOUS signs on this individual?

Wild Cobra
12-29-2009, 03:20 PM
But since you decided to pick up the ball, tell us, what were the OBVIOUS signs on this individual?
This individual was already on a watch list!

ChumpDumper
12-29-2009, 03:33 PM
How does the TSA search people in Nigeria?

ElNono
12-29-2009, 04:04 PM

My God man!!!!!

The watch list "doesn't mean they're convicted of wrongdoing," Lieberman said, but secondary screening and a body search "would've determined that he was carrying explosives."

That makes sense. That said, when I flew back to the US recently I did have to go through metal detectors before boarding, and having my carry-on bags checked. The people that did this was certainly not TSA, IIRC (at least they had no recognizable TSA badges/identification like in the US).

The other question is how many people are on these lists, and wether they've become too large to track and keep up with. Which inevitably leads you to wonder if the terrorists haven't already won by making us spend billions of dollars in stuff like this for a modicum sense of security.

George Gervin's Afro
12-29-2009, 04:46 PM

isn't cat stevens also on the list? are we going to arrest him now?

balli
12-29-2009, 04:47 PM
The other question is how many people are on these lists, and wether they've become too large to track and keep up with. Which inevitably leads you to wonder if the terrorists haven't already won by making us spend billions of dollars in stuff like this for a modicum sense of security.
(touches nose)

DarrinS
12-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Abdulmutallab and the Obama Mindset

http://spectator.org/archives/2009/12/29/abdulmutallab-and-the-obama-mi

When Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was placed on the British government's watch list in May 2009 and banned from entering the country, the U.S. embassy in London (and by extension the U.S. State Department), as well as U.S. intelligence agencies, were notified of this move as part of information-sharing agreements entered into by a number of Western governments after the September 11, 2001 attacks, says a U.S. State Department employee on the condition of anonymity because of concern that by speaking about the situation, their job could be endangered.

"We have agreements with a number of different countries that work with us cooperatively on intelligence matters," says the State Department employee. "A number of the treaties work through our justice departments or foreign offices or intelligence and interior or homeland security agencies. Several departments here in Washington got the information from London and it didn't trigger anything within our own system.

This employee says that despite statements from the Obama Administration, such information was flagged and given higher priority during the Bush Administration, but that since the changeover "we are encouraged to not create the appearance that we are profiling or targeting Muslims. I think career employees were uncomfortable with the Bush procedures and policies and were relieved to not have to live under them any longer."

The Obama Administration is attempting to shift blame for Abdulmutallab, pointing reporters to information that the Nigerian was given a visa by the U.S. embassy in London to travel to the U.S. in 2008, around the same time that he graduated from University College London, a well-respected university. But the State Department source says at that time Abdulmutallab was not on a watch list and traveled to Houston on that visa without incident. A year later, in May 2009, his application for a student visa to return to Britain was rejected because the college Abdulmutallab claimed he would attend was "bogus," and that red flag was shared with U.S. State Department, Homeland Security Department, U.S. Justice Department, and almost certainly U.S. intelligence agencies.

The State source says that several schools, particularly those with ties to the British Muslim community, have come under tighter scrutiny over the past five years, and when foreign nationals with Muslim backgrounds apply to those schools, it is red flag for British security offices.

"I'm not saying that this kind of screw up might not have happened in the Bush Administration," the State source says, referring to the Christmas Day snafu. "I'm just saying that a number of us were encouraged to have a different mindset about such intel and such individuals, and today, we are encouraged not to have that same mindset."

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-29-2009, 08:18 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/men-believed-northwest-airlines-plot-set-free/story?id=9434065

(N.B., this is yet another Brian Ross story based on uncorroborated, anonymous gov't sources -- but I'll be interested to see how the tuff on terra diaper brigade spins this one, or doesn't. The temptation to use the story as a bulwark against the closing of the detention facility at Gitmo -- or the further release of detainees -- will be hard for some to resist, but the price will be accepting that GWB sent *terrorists* to art therapy.)

That "leak" isn't about keeping Gitmo open, it's about the Obama administration trying to pass the blame for this on to Bush.

Winehole23
12-30-2009, 02:19 AM
That "leak" isn't about keeping Gitmo open, it's about the Obama administration trying to pass the blame for this on to Bush.I don't see why it can't be both at the same time.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-30-2009, 10:40 AM
it's amazing how people are defending this jackass. simply amazing.

Oh, Gee!!
12-30-2009, 10:47 AM
it's amazing how people are defending this jackass. simply amazing.

i think you're confusing some posters not blaming this admin with a defense of the crotch bomber. i'm sure all of us here regardless of political bent deplore the crotch bomber's actions.

Marcus Bryant
12-30-2009, 10:50 AM
On the list of grievances against the state, profiling for potential terrorists traveling to these United States ranks rather low. Meanwhile the state continues to sodomize us and we're worried that the state might so much as offend non-citizens. So much for all that individuality and what not that all Americans feign to claim as their birthright.

Winehole23
01-11-2010, 07:18 PM
This guy bought a one-way ticket, with cash, and checked NO luggage. Except, he had a round trip ticket.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/30/pageoneplus/corrections.html?_r=1

Winehole23
02-11-2012, 03:16 AM
http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/UFASentencingBrief.pdf

Wild Cobra
02-11-2012, 03:20 AM
http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/UFASentencingBrief.pdf
I got as far as the first four pages and find it pretty interesting. May read the rest later, but it's time to get some shut-eye.