PDA

View Full Version : Disgusted: We Brought Big Dog In To Score Yet Go 10 Minutes Without Him Or A Point

PM5K
04-24-2005, 11:44 PM
If you bring a guy in to put the ball in the basket then maybe you should bring him in when you are going ten minutes without a basket.....

SequSpur
04-24-2005, 11:46 PM
Agree.

But that's Pop.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-24-2005, 11:48 PM
He doesn't play enough D for Pop to see substantial run in the fourth. Or, so I hear.

What good does defense do you if you still lose 2-0?

PM5K
04-24-2005, 11:54 PM
He was the last guy to make a basket, he wasn't playing great but I'm confident that had he seen minutes he would have taken shots and he would have made some, how many, I don't know but certainly more than the other five guys did.

You know, I can understand when players fuck up and an eight point lead becomes zero in thirty seconds, hindsight is 20/20 and maybe you don't expect your players to fuck up that badly, but to go ten minutes without a point is inexcusable, and I put that on Pop.

What's worse is this isn't the typical 2/7 matchup and Timmy isn't 100% in health or in rhythm, what we needed was a typical 2/7 matchup for Tim to get his groove back and to get ready for the better teams, Tim isn't ready yet. I saw no defense that stopped him from making shots, I just saw him missing....

Glenn has played nine games, and has already gotten his rhythm and is the fourth leading scorer on the team....

Tom_Foolery
04-24-2005, 11:54 PM
He doesn't play enough D for Pop to see substantial run in the fourth. Or, so I hear.

What good does defense do you if you still lose 2-0?

That's strange...I thought "scoring" was our biggest problem in the 4th. Obviously losing the lead and losing the game...scoring should've been our priority, not defense.

PM5K
04-24-2005, 11:56 PM
I think you have enough defense when you have Nazr, Tim, and Bruce on the floor, the other two guys don't have to be great defenders so long as they make an effort and can give us something on the other end....

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2005, 12:00 AM
The problem was as soon as GRob got called for that bullshit charge Pop puckered up and took him out.

Glenn's a streaky scorer. You've got to give him more than 3 shots to get going. When Duncan can't even jump off the ground an inch, it's okay to give someone else a chance to score, know what I mean?

PM5K
04-25-2005, 12:02 AM
The problem was as soon as GRob got called for that bullshit charge Pop puckered up and took him out.

Glenn's a streaky scorer. You've got to give him more than 3 shots to get going. When Duncan can't even jump off the ground an inch, it's okay to give someone else a chance to score, know what I mean?

You are preaching to the choir buddy. I also agree with you that it wasn't Pops fault that Tim missed so many shots, this is a tough matchup for a team that peaked too earlier and needs to find rhythm and has two capable players on the IL. But I do blame Pop for the team going ten minutes without a basket, especially when he took the last guy to make a basket out....

Nikos
04-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Yeah, you have to do a lot of things as a coach to let Barry and Grob get them in a rythm. But none of that means SHIT when you are scared of Melo or any perimeter man who can score on the opposition and feel the need to play Bruce Bowen all the time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Our defense isn't really the problem. It's that Pop can't draw up a play without Tim being the primary guy on offense, and no matter what the skill set of other guys on the team he feels they just need to be spot up shooters, nothing else, in fourth quarters.

Spurminator
04-25-2005, 12:17 AM
It's not difficult to figure out why Glenn Robinson wouldn't see many minutes against the Nuggets. They are a team that runs the fast break at every possible opportunity, and Glenn is not fast enough to get back and be any kind of disruption to that.

Part of the reason Bowen was so invisible on offense was because he was not in his usual wing position - he was staying back to guard the break. And that was one of the few areas where the Spurs did a respectable job.

I too would have liked to see Robinson at some point during the 0-for-700 fourth quarter debacle, but don't be surprised if GRob doesn't see more than about 5 minutes per game for the rest of the series.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2005, 12:21 AM
The Nuggets had ten points in transition.

Part of our problem has always been that Pop always adjusts to other teams' player moves. When do we ever put the impetus on them to change?

Put Grob in there at SF when they have Boykins and Miller in the backcourt. Come down on offense and run a pick and roll with Glenn. Denver was switching the pick and roll tonight.

So you end up with either Boykins or Miller getting posted up by Glenn Robinson.

Now, I'm not saying don't do that every time, but I think you get the idea. We don't do enough to cause matchup problems for other teams.

Spurminator
04-25-2005, 12:26 AM
The Nuggets had ten points in transition.

Are you saying this to dispute that the Nuggets are a team that breaks at every opportunity? The Nuggets only scored ten fast break points because the Spurs made it the clear #1 priority to stop the break.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-25-2005, 12:27 AM
I fully agree with the initial post.
But keep in mind Pop has assistants with him, and unless he's the biggest dick, he listens to them. They must have all, as professionals, realized that the best chance we had was to stick with the boyz.

Maybe the coaching staff truely thought the main guys could pull it out.
Hell
i did.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2005, 12:31 AM
They just showed Pop on TNT talking about how we needed more offense in the fourth, and that was our downfall.

Seriously, Pop deserves some blame if for no other reason he let the same group of guys miss seventeen straight shots (I think the only substitutions during that stretch was swapping Horry and Nazr, and bringing Bowen in for GRob).

rascal
04-25-2005, 09:33 PM
They just showed Pop on TNT talking about how we needed more offense in the fourth, and that was our downfall.

Seriously, Pop deserves some blame if for no other reason he let the same group of guys miss seventeen straight shots (I think the only substitutions during that stretch was swapping Horry and Nazr, and bringing Bowen in for GRob).

Bowen should not be on the floor if the spurs need offense.

Nikos
04-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Bowen should not be on the floor if the spurs need offense.

The problem is Pop is too concerned with defense. So the team is going to be prone to offensive lulls if they force it to an injured Duncan while also having Bowen on the floor.

Parker is not a 3pt shooter, Ginobili is OK but streaky, Horry can be good, but Nazr was on the floor in Game 1. How can the team get spacing or maximize their offense if they just force it downlow to an out of sync Duncan?

T Park
04-25-2005, 09:54 PM
swapping Horry and Nazr,

yeah cause Horry was "lighting it up"

He was 3 of 9

Whew, yeah we needed that no question.

If anything sub out Parker and put in Barry and let him shoot.

2 shots in 19 minutes is a fucking joke.

JoeChalupa
04-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Every Dog has his day. And the Big Dog will have his!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/psicon/Avatars%202/az1.gif

T Park
04-25-2005, 09:58 PM
So will pop get ripped in this forum if he loses a 115 to 110 game??

Nazr and pop.

Fucked if they do, fucked if they dont.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2005, 11:11 PM
The problem is Pop's been fucking up on offense for years now.

The players change, the offense stays the same.