PDA

View Full Version : What does your team need?

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:08 PM
I would say the following teams have hopes of winning a championship this year:

The Favorites, in order:
Boston Celtics
Los Angeles Lakers
Cleveland Cavaliers

The Darkhorses, in order:
Orlando Magic
Denver Nuggets
Dallas Mavericks
Atlanta Hawks

You can quibble with that list if you like, but if you're a fan of one of the aforementioned teams, what do you see as your team's biggest weakness or fatal flaw?

For the Mavericks, I think they play good enough defense and can get enough points in the paint, but they don't have a consistent #2 scorer that can take some of the pressure off of Dirk. Jet has been too inconsistent, and Josh is an injury-prone and inconsistent head case. Barea is an end of a rotation piece being pressed into a major role and Marion gets his points off others creating for him. In the playoffs, they will run into a team that will let Dirk go off and lock down on everybody else, just like the Nuggets did last year.

badfish22
12-25-2009, 11:09 PM
http://futureramblings.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/caron-butler.jpg

Culburn369
12-25-2009, 11:10 PM
LeBron & KG to follow that Oden guy into the dust that is always the end.

& I ain't fuckin' around either.

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:11 PM
http://futureramblings.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/caron-butler.jpg

I don't see what we can give the Wiz that they would want, unless they totally go into tank mode.

badfish22
12-25-2009, 11:12 PM
plus Spurs need to be on dark horse list. If Manu can wake up. And they make a trade.

Culburn369
12-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Manu can't wake up. There is a fork in him.

JoeTait75
12-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Cavaliers need a "stretch" four. Antwan Jamison or Troy Murphy would fill the bill here.

FkLA
To live up to their capabilities, and possibly a defensive-oriented center that can help Timmy hold down the paint and grab boards. Camby seems ideal.

badfish22
I don't see what we can give the Wiz that they would want, unless they totally go into tank mode.

I've heard murmors. Arenas + Butler dont like eachother. Wiz need cap relief. And they might be willin to take a chance on smokey for a SF.

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:14 PM
plus Spurs need to be on dark horse list. If Manu can wake up. And they make a trade.

They would be a very distant 8th right now. At some point, they will lose the respect that comes from winning four titles in the Duncan Era. I would still say they win a title this year before the Suns do.

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Cavaliers need a "stretch" four. Antwan Jamison or Troy Murphy would fill the bill here.

Billy "The Sports Putz" Simmons was jackin' his weenus over the small-ball lineup that they used against the Suns. I didn't see the game, but I assume they played LeBron at the 4 and Sideshow Varejao at the 5. So Mo Williams plays the point, Jamario Moon at the 3 and Parker at the 2?

FkLA
12-25-2009, 11:21 PM
They would be a very distant 8th right now. At some point, they will lose the respect that comes from winning four titles in the Duncan Era. I would still say they win a title this year before the Suns do.

Think about it though, even after hitting rock bottom theyre what 2 games out in the loss colum from your boys in blue? As horribly dissapointing as the Spurs have been theyre still right in the thick of things for the 2-8 seeds out west. Its not only been Manu either, Tony has been horribly dissapointing, Dick has been dissapointing, Dice who nearly averaged a double-double last year is averaging like 4 & 4 this year. When Matt Bonner is your second most consistant player behind Tim you know that shit isnt right. If one or a couple of those guys manage to get their form back the Spurs will be a legit darkhorse, if all of them can peform the way theyre capable of than theyll be as scary as people were expecting them to be.

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Lakers need a better option than Fisher at the PG spot, especially given all the quick and speedy PGs they'll likely encounter.

Culburn369
12-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Can't do it, Fin. Without him I may not very well have that 15th. You don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

badfish22
12-25-2009, 11:26 PM
As horribly dissapointing as the Spurs have been theyre still right in the thick of things for the 2-8 seeds out west. Its not only been Manu either, Tony has been horribly dissapointing,

Agreed Tony and Manu can turn it around. Espicaially Tony. Manu might just be done.

Dick has been dissapointing,
Dick sucks

, Dice who nearly averaged a double-double last year is averaging like 4 & 4 this year.

Hes done

When Matt Bonner is your second most consistant player behind Tim you know that shit isnt right. .

Sounds familiar (Mavs with JJ Barea) Only difference is that Dirk is a beast. And Marion has been working wonders for our defense.

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Think about it though, even after hitting rock bottom theyre what 2 games out in the loss colum from your boys in blue? As horribly dissapointing as the Spurs have been theyre still right in the thick of things for the 2-8 seeds out west. Its not only been Manu either, Tony has been horribly dissapointing, Dick has been dissapointing, Dice who nearly averaged a double-double last year is averaging like 4 & 4 this year. When Matt Bonner is your second most consistant player behind Tim you know that shit isnt right. If one or a couple of those guys manage to get their form back the Spurs will be a legit darkhorse, if all of them can peform the way theyre capable of than theyll be as scary as people were expecting them to be.

I just don't see Manu ever regaining that 2005-2007 form again, and I think that's what they need from him to win another title. I also agree that they need a defensive upgrade at C to team with Duncan, and Jefferson is what he is: It's one thing to get your points when you can take all the shots you want on a bad team, to being the 4th option on a team that demands efficiency. I don't see Jefferson getting better, I see this is exactly what he would do in the Spurs system.

badfish22
12-25-2009, 11:29 PM
The more I think about it Caron Butler for Josh Howard wouldnt put us over the top.

We need someone like Igudala to be able to beat score enough to win a championship.

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Can't do it, Fin. Without him I may not very well have that 15th. You don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

They need him coming off the bench for the 2nd unit, because he's a clutch shooter. The Lakers were lucky that they didn't run into one of those speedy types last year.

dirk4mvp
12-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Lanier High's finest

lv4atA1BDDo

Ghazi
12-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Lakers need a better option than Fisher at the PG spot, especially given all the quick and speedy PGs they'll likely encounter.

Will they encounter quick speedy PG's though? Paul is on an irrelevant team, so is Parker... Jazz aren't very good... Billups and Kidd are the PG's of the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the West and aren't quick or speedy.

If they make the Finals though I suppose with Rondo/Williams/Nelson some problems could be there.

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Josh Howard, Gooden's partial-guaranteed and whatever else it takes to get Ellis. Wonder if that works under the cap.

Greg Oden
12-25-2009, 11:34 PM
They need him coming off the bench for the 2nd unit, because he's a clutch shooter. The Lakers were lucky that they didn't run into one of those speedy types last year.

They did run into a speedy type. Brooks ate Fisher's lunch. Fortunately for the Lakers, they were a much better team.

TIMMYD!
12-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Huevos.

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Will they encounter quick speedy PG's though? Paul is on an irrelevant team, so is Parker... Jazz aren't very good... Billups and Kidd are the PG's of the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the West and aren't quick or speedy.

If they make the Finals though I suppose with Rondo/Williams/Nelson some problems could be there.

Aaron Brooks destroyed them last year, enabling the Rockets to force a seventh game. The Rockets just didn't have the horses to beat the Lakers in a series, but Fisher was destroyed by Brooks. They'll have trouble at the PG matchup in the Finals, no matter who comes out of the East (Cavs, Celtics, Magic).

JoeTait75
12-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Billy "The Sports Putz" Simmons was jackin' his weenus over the small-ball lineup that they used against the Suns. I didn't see the game, but I assume they played LeBron at the 4 and Sideshow Varejao at the 5. So Mo Williams plays the point, Jamario Moon at the 3 and Parker at the 2?

Mo, Delonte, Jamario, LeBron and Varejao.

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:36 PM
They did run into a speedy type. Brooks ate Fisher's lunch. Fortunately for the Lakers, they were a much better team.

Yeah, I forgot about him. Probably the biggest reason they forced it to seven.

Greg Oden
Josh Howard, Gooden's partial-guaranteed and whatever else it takes to get Ellis. Wonder if that works under the cap.

Ellis is a high volume scorer and is one of the best slashers in the leauge. He would fit with Dirk and Kidd perfectly.

Findog
Mo, Delonte, Jamario, LeBron and Varejao.

Would you be comfortable playing that lineup against Orlando and taking your chances with Dwight?

JoeTait75
12-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Would you be comfortable playing that lineup against Orlando and taking your chances with Dwight?

No. But it's probably our best lineup against Boston, which is probably why Sports Guy pisses himself over it.

FkLA
12-25-2009, 11:38 PM
You guys expected Dick to have single digit scoring games where he put up 5 or 6 shots? I sure as hell didnt, I wasnt expecting him to be the 20 ppg player he was on bad teams but I definitely expected more than this. I think he's capable of more, he's shown signs of it, but often times he's not as involved as he should be especially considering Manu's and Tony's poor play thus far.

Also regarding Dice, numerous Piston fans proclaimed that he was their best and most consistant player in the playoffs last year. Call me a homer but I refuse to believe that in a matter of months he has gone from being that to being done. I think he has more to give as well. I think simply playing to their capabilities makes the Spurs a legit darkhorse, making a trade for a defensive big like Camby could put them over the top.

Ghazi
12-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Need 2 stars on your team at least. Mavs are 1 superstar and a very good collection of players, but no 2nd player that has a starlike impact on a game... Kidd, Marion, Howard, Terry, Dampier... pretty good supporting cast, but no star amongst them.

You could say the same for the Cavs, but Lebron is a notch above Dirk... but quite frankly I think that problem may rear its ugly head for the Cavs as well somewhere down the line.

is that star out there though? I dunno, doubt it... is a guy like Ellis really a Robin on a championship team? I honestly don't think so.

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:40 PM
No. But it's probably our best lineup against Boston, which is probably why Sports Guy pisses himself over it.

You could swap out Shaq for Andy and it might be the best of both worlds.

iggypop123
12-25-2009, 11:40 PM
lakers need a shooter.

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:41 PM
is that star out there though? I dunno, doubt it... is a guy like Ellis really a Robin on a championship team? I honestly don't think so.

He doesn't really need to be though. He fills a need, which is that second guy who can get his consistently. It's not always about "stars."

badfish22
12-25-2009, 11:42 PM

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0430/nba_g_nelson1_200.jpg

"We love our boys in blue, douchebag"

But seriously, I would be down.

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Need 2 stars on your team at least. Mavs are 1 superstar and a very good collection of players, but no 2nd player that has a starlike impact on a game... Kidd, Marion, Howard, Terry, Dampier... pretty good supporting cast, but no star amongst them.

You could say the same for the Cavs, but Lebron is a notch above Dirk... but quite frankly I think that problem may rear its ugly head for the Cavs as well somewhere down the line.

I think the worst thing that could happen to Cleveland is facing the Magic again. If they're smart they'll limit Shaq to about 20 minutes a game and play him at the beginning of quarters where they can go to him and try to get other teams in foul trouble. It would be suicide to keep him on the floor in crunch time when he can't defend the p'n'r.

badfish22
12-25-2009, 11:43 PM

Kidd is playing outstanding this year. Like top 5 pg material.

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Dice is a role player. You can't really expect role players to make the ultimate difference between winning and losing a title. It's about getting impact players. They went out and got one with Jefferson. It just hasn't translated into what they expected so far.

JoeTait75
12-25-2009, 11:46 PM
You could swap out Shaq for Andy and it might be the best of both worlds.

Shaq is only going to help against Orlando or the Lake Show. That's pretty much it. He'll kill us against any team that runs the pick-and-roll. Even in his prime Shaq couldn't defend the p 'n r. I was watching the 2002 WCF on Youtube recently and Sacramento was just murdering L.A. with the pick-and-roll.

Findog
Boston so far looks like the most balanced and complete team so far.

Findog
Shaq is only going to help against Orlando or the Lake Show. That's pretty much it. He'll kill us against any team that runs the pick-and-roll. Even in his prime Shaq couldn't defend the p 'n r. I was watching the 2002 WCF on Youtube recently and Sacramento was just murdering L.A. with the pick-and-roll.

Do you think he'll be happy playing 15 minutes a game against the Celtics in the ECF? Do you think he'll make trouble?

JoeTait75
12-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Boston so far looks like the most balanced and complete team so far.

When they're healthy, yes. They're a killer match-up against Orlando and the Lake Show. I wonder about how they'll hold up over 82, though, with their age. They really wore down last year and they haven't gotten any younger.

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:48 PM
When they're healthy, yes. They're a killer match-up against Orlando and the Lake Show. I wonder about how they'll hold up over 82, though, with their age. They really wore down last year and they haven't gotten any younger.

I agree. We'll see what KG looks like in May. The grind of an 82 game season + playoffs is their biggest roadblock to a title.

JoeTait75
12-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Do you think he'll make trouble?

He has a history of bitchiness as you know, but hopefully LeBron can keep him in line. He should be smart enough to know what he is and isn't capable of at this point.

monosylab1k
12-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Caron Butler for J-Ho makes no sense at all. So we're trading one selfish ballstopper with a shitty attitude for another?

Monta Ellis is a guy worth targeting, though.

FkLA
You are smoking some good shit.:lol

102-87 son.

And Im realistic about my team and their chances at this point in time, Im simply pointing out their underperformance as well as answering the the main question in this thread.

Dice is a role player. You can't really expect role players to make the ultimate difference between winning and losing a title. It's about getting impact players. They went out and got one with Jefferson. It just hasn't translated into what they expected so far.

No doubt he's a role player, a very solid one at that. Something he hasnt been thus far...Im not saying he's an impact player simply that he has more to give. Dick has shown signs, I just dont understand why there are games where he takes 5 shots. He needs to be involved more.

Caron Butler for J-Ho makes no sense at all. So we're trading one selfish ballstopper with a shitty attitude for another?

And Monta isnt a selfish chucker? The guy has talent but he complained about drafting and having Curry start next to him because it wasnt good for HIS game. Not the team but him. He cant be too good of a team player with that attitude.

Findog
Even though the Spurs are only 2 back in the loss column from the Mavs, they have played a very home-heavy schedule so far. They're losing to the Junior Varsity Trailblazers and beating the Pacers on the final play of the game. They look very mediocre so far. I think they'll get better, but Duncan's supporting cast needs to pick it up because he can't do this for 82 games. They usually like him to coast at 70% until the Rodeo Road Trip.

Findog
12-25-2009, 11:54 PM

Butler is way better than Josh and isn't hurt nearly as much.

Monta Ellis is a guy worth targeting, though

Yeah, I want this guy more than Butler or Bosh (who will want a max contract, and it will take Damp's contract). Ellis and Colonel Kurtz hate each other. I think it's possibly to get Monta without using Dampier's contract.

badfish22
12-25-2009, 11:56 PM

Didn't no his attitude was bad? Anyway when I saw he TO's and Assist #'s i jumped off that bandwagon.

Still Buter > Howard.

Plus change would do them both good.

mogrovejo
12-25-2009, 11:57 PM
The favorites in order:

Boston Celtics
Los Angeles Lakers
Orlando Magic
Cleveland Cavaliers
San Antonio Spurs

What do they need:

Celtics - a secondary wing backup that can defend bigger wings and shoot from the outside + a 4th big that can rebound instead of Big Baby Davis.

Lakers - perimeter play on both sides of the court: quickness defensively, outside shooting and dribble penetration offensively.

Magic - maybe a backcourt bench player better than JJ Reddick (ideally someone who can get inside); but mostly that SVG gets his head out of his ass and starts using Vince Carter correctly - as a playmaker and passer and not only as a scorer.

Cavs - priority: quickness, athleticism and shooting in their big man rotation; secondary: another shot-creator

Spurs - priority: a top perimeter defender who can do something offensively (even if it's just hitting corner 3s); secondary: a big that can defend the pick'n'roll.
----------------------------------

The remaining teams mentioned by the OP would be contenders (and still have a "biggest need" if they could add:

Denver Nuggets - A legit 3rd big, hopefully one as good or better than Nene and Martin; needs to be a great rebounder + JR Smith to become a legit 20ppg player.

Dallas Mavericks - A center with Dampier's defence but serviceable offensively + a shot-creator from the perimeter + a backup wing with Ross' defence but serviceable offensively

Atlanta Hawks - meh... at least a guy who's a legit All-Star+All-D team.

monosylab1k
12-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Butler is way better than Josh and isn't hurt nearly as much.

Oh I wouldn't say that he's way better. I wouldn't say he's any better. Caron Butler can take terrible shots with the best of em. He's not as good a 3pt shooter as Josh, probably on par rebounding, and defensively give me Josh.

JoeTait75
12-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Hawks could use a little more height in their frontcourt. Horford is more of a PF than a C.

Findog
12-26-2009, 12:00 AM
The favorites in order:

Boston Celtics
Los Angeles Lakers
Orlando Magic
Cleveland Cavaliers
San Antonio Spurs

:lol

monosylab1k
12-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Caron Butler is only good in a Gasol trade situation. If you have to give up anything of value, you better really hate the asshole you're shipping out.

I can understand trading Josh for Ellis or G-Force, guys that will slash and probably mesh well with Kidd. But another jump shooter (and a pretty mediocre one at that) isn't what the team needs.

badfish22
12-26-2009, 12:01 AM
102-87 son.

And Monta isnt a selfish chucker? The guy has talent but he complained about drafting and having Curry start next to him because it wasnt good for HIS game. Not the team but him. He cant be too good of a team player with that attitude.

Hes got a point there.

Findog
12-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Oh I wouldn't say that he's way better. I wouldn't say he's any better. Caron Butler can take terrible shots with the best of em. He's not as good a 3pt shooter as Josh, probably on par rebounding, and defensively give me Josh.

Give me Butler for more than 50 games a year of Josh, 25 of which are "Good Josh" and 25 of which are "Stand around on D and Chuck up Jumpers on O" Josh. But I agree, I don't want Butler's contract, and I think a guy like Ellis is a much better trade target.

monosylab1k
12-26-2009, 12:02 AM
And Monta isnt a selfish chucker?

I'd rather my selfish chuckers throw up layups and not 15 footers.

FkLA
12-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Let it go Fin, the Spurs garnering more respect than the Mavs bothers you too much bro. Spurs have earned that respect, they deserve to get the benfit of the doubt that theyll turn it around especially considering the fact that they have the talent.

Findog
12-26-2009, 12:04 AM

He fills a gaping hole of a need for us...somebody who can consistently get to the rim and is capable of being that consistent scorer from the two-guard spot. Part of our problem is over-reliance on jumpers and nobody who can consistently score and make teams pay for doubling Dirk.

I would give most guys a pass for what is going on in Oakland right now. I think he'd be elated to go from a shit situation like that to a team like Dallas that is contending and has a major role for him to play.

Culburn369
12-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Yer ended, Fk. And ya know it.

badfish22
12-26-2009, 12:05 AM
When Monta is on the bench and Terry and Barea are choking away the game what happens then? :lmao

Findog
12-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Let it go Fin, the Spurs garnering more respect than the Mavs bothers you too much bro.

Yeah, at least this year it does. I think they'll pull it together to win 50-53 games and make the playoffs, but I don't see them as any more of a dark horse contender than Dallas.

JoeTait75
12-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Hes got a point there.

It's tough to judge the attitudes of players at Golden State. It's such a toxic environment and Nelson is such a mind-fucker. Get guys like Monta and Anthony Randolph out of there and they might bring a completely different attitude.

monosylab1k
12-26-2009, 12:07 AM
When Monta is on the bench and Terry and Barea are choking away the game what happens then? :lmao

:lol true. The biggest team need for Dallas is somebody to go Nancy Kerrigan on JJ Barea's knee.

I guess I could be the Jeff Gillooly that the Mavs desperately need. Let me buy a baton and grow a sleazy mustache.

Findog
12-26-2009, 12:08 AM
:lol true. The biggest team need for Dallas is somebody to go Nancy Kerrigan on JJ Barea's knee.

I guess I could be the Jeff Gillooly that the Mavs desperately need. Let me buy a baton and grow a sleazy mustache.

Now that Josh is available for duty, why not start him and keep him to the same minutes limit? I bet part of his bad attitude is seeing the Puerto Rican smurf in the starting lineup ahead of him.

mogrovejo
12-26-2009, 12:08 AM
:lol

I wrote the best post in the thread and that's all you could come up with? :depressed

Culburn369
12-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Let me buy a baton and grow a sleazy mustache.

Then you'd have bumper for your high speed cock sucking habit.

FkLA
Yer ended, Fk. And ya know it.

Im not giving up on this team yet.

But if we do end up being ended than so be it Cully, guess I'll just have to settle for watching the Celtics rape that purple n gold ass :depressed

monosylab1k
Now that Josh is available for duty, why not start him and keep him to the same minutes limit? I bet part of his bad attitude is seeing the Puerto Rican smurf in the starting lineup ahead of him.

True. But Barea starting games hasn't been the problem, it's Barea ending games.

Findog
12-26-2009, 12:10 AM
I wrote the best post in the thread and that's all you could come up with? :depressed

Why do the Spurs deserve that kind of respect? Because they won titles 3, 5 and 7 years ago with that core of Duncan, Parker and Manu? If they didn't have that history, you wouldn't give them that benefit of the doubt. I think Manu is done, and a big part of it is that balls to the wall style takes its physical toll. They need 2005-07 Manu to win another title and I don't see it.

Findog
12-26-2009, 12:12 AM
True. But Barea starting games hasn't been the problem, it's Barea ending games.

That infuriates me to no end. He's a 15 mpg niche player, not a major part of a team's core.

mogrovejo
Ah, and the Blazers would be the 6th contender if they were healthy. Their biggest need would be another top perimeter defender besides Batum.

badfish22
And its Jason Terry being in games

FkLA
12-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Regarding Ellis, perhaps the GS situation has alot to do with his attitude and comments...but still talking down on the rook Curry like that and saying he didnt want him starting because it affected HIS game? That type of attitude isnt neccesarily what I think of when I think of champions. He seems like a me-first player, although to be fair I always thought of Crawford in the same way (to a lesser extent though) and the winning in Atlanta has seemed to cure that.

monosylab1k
12-26-2009, 12:15 AM
the final 5 in mavs games needs to be either:

against smallball
Kidd
Terry
Howard
Marion
Dirk

or traditional
Kidd
Howard (or Terry)
Marion
Dirk
Damp

JJ Barea has no fucking business whatsoever being in games during crunchtime.

badfish22
12-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Monta basically makes Jason Terry useless. We don't need two 6'3 tweener guards.

Findog
12-26-2009, 12:17 AM

against smallball
Kidd
Terry
Howard
Marion
Dirk

or traditional
Kidd
Howard (or Terry)
Marion
Dirk
Damp

Post of the year. Someone please print this out and slip it under Coach Carlisle's door.

mogrovejo
12-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Why do the Spurs deserve that kind of respect? Because they won titles 3, 5 and 7 years ago with that core of Duncan, Parker and Manu? If they didn't have that history, you wouldn't give them that benefit of the doubt.

Well, if they didn't have that history, they wouldn't be as good as they actually are, don't you think?

I think Manu is done, and a big part of it is that balls to the wall style takes its physical toll. They need 2005-07 Manu to win another title and I don't see it.

I don't think Ginobili is done. He's going to the line at his normal rate, his offensive rebounding rate is above his career level, his 3pt shooting efficiency is also good. Those are the best indicators of athleticism. If he stays healthy he'll get the rest of his game (the passing, the midrange shot, finishing at the rim) back.

Findog
12-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Well, if they didn't have that history, they wouldn't be as good as they actually are, don't you think?

That makes no sense to me whatsoever. The 1998 Dallas Cowboys were not nearly as good as the 1993 Dallas Cowboys.

FkLA
12-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Spurs won the title in 07' and reached the WCF in 08'...people are putting a fork in them prematurely in my opinion. Putting way too much into last year's playoff outing, I mean what did you guys expect out them. Where they actually supposed to contend without their second best player?

I understand that there has been some decline involved, but at the same time Spurs have spent more than ever before and re-tooled to combat that. They currently have the deepest and best bench in the NBA, I dont think Manu has to be gold-medal Manu or that Tim needs to be MVP-Tim. They just need to put it together and play the way theyre capable of playing.

mogrovejo
12-26-2009, 12:27 AM
That makes no sense to me whatsoever. The 1998 Dallas Cowboys were not nearly as good as the 1993 Dallas Cowboys.

I have no idea who the fuck those cowboys are. What I meant is that Duncan+Parker+Ginobili are good players, Popovich is a good coach. If they had never won a title, they wouldn't be nearly as good because you need to be good to win a NBA title. I understand the point about athletic decline, I just don't agree with it (I mean, I do agree with it, but every contender is filled with elite players that are in athletic decline [experience wins in the playoffs] - if there was a team marching out there with Bibby/Ray Allen/Artest/Rasheed Wallace/Shaq they wouldn't be winning anything and they'd have been a dynasty in the early 2000s. I don't think the Spurs decline is serious/big enough to rule them out as contenders).

badfish22
12-26-2009, 12:28 AM

against smallball
Kidd
Terry
Howard
Marion
Dirk

or traditional
Kidd
Howard (or Terry)
Marion
Dirk
Damp

For Rick, a NBA win is like sex. JJB is always involved in the end.

Findog
12-26-2009, 12:34 AM
I understand the point about athletic decline, I just don't agree with it (I mean, I do agree with it, but every contender is filled with elite players that are in athletic decline [experience wins in the playoffs] - if there was a team marching out there with Bibby/Ray Allen/Artest/Rasheed Wallace/Shaq they wouldn't be winning anything and they'd have been a dynasty in the early 2000s. I don't think the Spurs decline is serious/big enough to rule them out as contenders).

I think it is. We'll find out in June.

tomtom
12-26-2009, 12:36 AM
To stay healthy and for Aldridge to develop more post game.

Rick Carlisle
12-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Post of the year. Someone please print this out and slip it under Coach Carlisle's door.

A man can only get so many blowjobs

FkLA
12-26-2009, 12:54 AM
How about showing portland some love though...wins against the mavs, spurs, and nuggets not many teams have done that much less consecutively. I think if they can use Miller/Bayless to bring in someone to fill in the gap left by Oden and Przbylla they can still be a darkhorse.

FkLA
12-26-2009, 01:01 AM
Mavs should go after Bayless, I think he's a better option than Monta...send them Erica Dampier and have them send some other fillers to make the deal work.

Findog
12-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Erick Dampier won't be going to the Blazers unless we get Aldridge or Roy coming back. Seriously, his contract is expected to fetch an All Star in return. We're not giving them our starting C and his instantly vanishing $12 million option for Jerryd Bayless.

FkLA
12-26-2009, 01:29 AM
Give that kid two years max and he'll be a big-time player in this league, even now he's already capable of contributing he just needs minutes. He's dripping with talent, its so apparent and obvious that he's a star in the making. If I was a Mavs fan, Id rather give up Erica for him than for Monta.

iggypop123
12-26-2009, 01:32 AM
the spurs are healthy and added pieces. there really isnt an excuse . duncan is playing well. something is up with them

Findog
12-26-2009, 01:39 AM
Give that kid two years max and he'll be a big-time player in this league, even now he's already capable of contributing he just needs minutes. He's dripping with talent, its so apparent and obvious that he's a star in the making. If I was a Mavs fan, Id rather give up Erica for him than for Monta.

I don't disagree with that, but the Mavs could probably pry him from the Blazers for less than Damp's contract. And since Bayless is on his rookie deal, I don't want $12 million worth of Blazers junk. They're probably not looking to dump him now, they probably need him to play minutes with all the injuries.

badfish22
12-26-2009, 02:08 AM

Why would the Blazers want to give up a young "obvious star in the making" though? I Don't understand.

Im sure there is a way we can take Montas contract off thier hands and take Randolph too (who they are supposedly shopping)

They would might intersted in Josh (former Nellie player), Gooden (insta-expiring contract), and maybe JJB (run and gun back up pg for Nellie system.)

We go the pieces, I'm sure our smart and savvy gm can pull it off.

Oh wait........dammit

Culburn369
12-26-2009, 03:12 AM
the spurs are healthy and added pieces. there really isnt an excuse . duncan is playing well. something is up with them

Yeah, they suck donkey dick.

Ghazi
12-26-2009, 03:19 AM
Manu/Parker/Duncan are still good players but the Spurs no longer have the qualities their championship teams had. Their defense has dramatically declined, their margin of victory isn't as impressive, they have a subpar record against teams over .500... they're 2-8 in their last 10 playoff games.

They really should not be considered contenders until they start playing like one.

Ghazi
12-26-2009, 03:22 AM
OTOH the Mavs shouldn't be discounted as contenders because of the ref screwjob in '06 and the flameouts in 07-09... but I dont consider them a contender because while they've played well, they haven't played "that well"... this team currently looks like one of those decent 55-58 win teams that loses in the 2nd round/WCF...

Culburn369
12-26-2009, 03:48 AM
Yer O & Forever, Ghazi. STFU.

wanggi
12-26-2009, 04:31 AM
Yer O & Forever, Ghazi. STFU.

0 & 54, close enough, zip.:rolleyes

Venti Quattro
12-26-2009, 06:02 AM
My team needs to wake the fuck up

Goran Tragic
12-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Another sharp shooter and a big that will rotate, and a PG that will fight through screens. Basically a new team.

Chieflion
12-26-2009, 09:15 AM
A savior from Toronto.

Culburn369
12-26-2009, 09:18 AM
A new Dick also wouldn't hurt, Chief.

Killakobe81
12-26-2009, 12:19 PM
ALL we need is a bench scorer ...since our bench mob sucks ...

RedsLakers24
12-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Kirk Hinrich, Fisher sucks except on clutch situations but other than that every point guard kills us....Morrison+Sasha+Farmar for Kirk and Pargo, then release Pargo and sign a veteran like Stackhouse

GuerillaBlack
12-26-2009, 01:33 PM
I would say the following teams have hopes of winning a championship this year:

The Favorites, in order:
Boston Celtics
Los Angeles Lakers
Cleveland Cavaliers

The Darkhorses, in order:
Orlando Magic
Denver Nuggets
Dallas Mavericks
Atlanta Hawks

You can quibble with that list if you like, but if you're a fan of one of the aforementioned teams, what do you see as your team's biggest weakness or fatal flaw?

For the Mavericks, I think they play good enough defense and can get enough points in the paint, but they don't have a consistent #2 scorer that can take some of the pressure off of Dirk. Jet has been too inconsistent, and Josh is an injury-prone and inconsistent head case. Barea is an end of a rotation piece being pressed into a major role and Marion gets his points off others creating for him. In the playoffs, they will run into a team that will let Dirk go off and lock down on everybody else, just like the Nuggets did last year.

The Rockets just need a dominant center and a stud SG, then we're set for life.

GuerillaBlack
12-26-2009, 02:10 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/20syebl.jpg

If Ellis and Randolph don't pay off for the Rockets, then we get owned. Probably not a lot of cash left to resign Landry and/or Scola and Lowry this offseason.

djohn2oo8
12-26-2009, 02:13 PM

If Ellis and Randolph don't pay off for the Rockets, then we get owned. Probably not a lot of cash left to resign Landry and/or Scola and Lowry this offseason.

I don't even think Morey the genius could come up with that trade, but looks good

IronMexican
12-26-2009, 02:28 PM
A 1 guard who can make 3's and play solid D.

GuerillaBlack
12-26-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't even think Morey the genius could come up with that trade, but looks good

Lineup would be sick with:

Brooks/Lowry
Ellis/Budinger
Battier/Butler
Scola/Landry/Randolph
Hayes/Anderson/Randolph

Only problem I see is playing time for Randolph. We wouldn't have to trade Scola or Landry this year, but would have to let one of them go in the offseason (preferably Scola because Landry has a higher ceiling). With that lineup, Butler becomes sixth man of the year, and Landry becomes seventh man of the year. ;)

It's definitely an 11-man deep team.

Many PackYao
12-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Lineup would be sick with:

Brooks/Lowry
Ellis/Budinger
Battier/Butler
Scola/Landry/Randolph
Hayes/Anderson/Randolph

Only problem I see is playing time for Randolph. We wouldn't have to trade Scola or Landry this year, but would have to let one of them go in the offseason (preferably Scola because Landry has a higher ceiling). With that lineup, Butler becomes sixth man of the year, and Landry becomes seventh man of the year. ;)

It's definitely an 11-man deep team.
Email this to Morey ASAP!!:p:

mogrovejo
12-26-2009, 09:34 PM
11 men deep, sure; title contender, not even close. Morey learned from the best, he'd never make such a trade.

urunobili
12-26-2009, 09:44 PM
A 1 guard who can make 3's and play solid D.

Billups would make LA unstoppable

Culburn369
12-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Billups, like Manu, has a fork in him.

mystargtr34
12-26-2009, 11:18 PM

:lol why would the Warriors give up Ellis + Randolph for Ariza and a medium expiring.

Agloco
12-27-2009, 01:11 AM

7 new pieces to be exact. You answered your own question. What people who don't watch the Spurs regularly don't see is the 10 or 11 man rotations they're using right now. It's about finding consistency and chemistry among the starters and bench crews. Those things don't happen overnight.

GuerillaBlack
12-27-2009, 10:11 AM
:lol why would the Warriors give up Ellis + Randolph for Ariza and a medium expiring.

They are the Warriors...

But really, why not? Ellis is unhappy there. Randolph is unhappy there. Give them Ariza, who can be a good starter in their system. Plus, they ship Ellis' big contract to Houston. Give them an expiring this year, so they can have more money in the offseason. They are going to have to give Morrow a big contract anyway, and he could take Ellis' starting job.

I tried giving them Scola as well, but nothing works out. :p:

VivaPopovich
12-27-2009, 10:13 AM
A perimeter defender that was as good and active with his hands as Bruce Bowen was.

GuerillaBlack
12-27-2009, 10:25 AM
11 men deep, sure; title contender, not even close. Morey learned from the best, he'd never make such a trade.

Every team wins a little something with this trade. Only downside for the Rockets is not having enough money to resign Scola/Lowry/Landry. We'd only be able to resign two out of those three. You pair Ellis and Randolph with the high basketball IQ players the Rockets have, and they will flourish. Plus, they get to leave Golden State.

Oh yeah, Rockets win the championship with the trade. :toast