12-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Awesome

Not when it's due to health reasons...

samikeyp
12-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Wow.

Girasuck
12-26-2009, 07:36 PM
WOW! Hopefully everything will be ok with him. He's still a member of the Ute family so this is very shocking.

redraiderinfiji
12-26-2009, 07:40 PM
what the hell? This is the most random stuff I have heard all season? Is it heart problems?

SpursFanFirst
12-26-2009, 07:43 PM
This was a shock to read!

I hope he's going to be OK.
I'm sure this was a very difficult decision for him, as he still had so much more he could've done in college football. But I'm glad he recognizes what's important in life.

balli
12-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Crazy. Hope Urban can get back to coaching someday.

Spursfan092120
12-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Apparently he's suffered extreme pain as a result of a brain cyst, and says he's ignored his health for years...hopefully it's nothing serious. They say he's not in the hospital and isn't suffering any immediate health issues. He's planning an official press conference tomorrow. Hope he gets well soon.

monosylab1k
12-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Makes sense, his gravy train at Florida is over. He'll take a year off and then it's on to the NFL.

JMarkJohns
12-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Crazy... so, what is the trickle down effect through the coaching ranks?

Bob Stoops? Pete Carroll? Butch Davis? Gary Patterson?

gaKNOW!blee
12-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Brian Kelly must be kicking himself.

JMarkJohns
12-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Brian Kelly must be kicking himself.

Very true... I should think, along similar lines, that Patterson is the hot name for the Florida HC gig. Butch Davis is a dark horse. It were his recruits at Miami that went to back-to-back Title games, winning in 2000. He can obviously recruit Florida.

DMX7
12-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Very true... I should think, along similar lines, that Patterson is the hot name for the Florida HC gig. Butch Davis is a dark horse. It were his recruits at Miami that went to back-to-back Title games, winning in 2000. He can obviously recruit Florida.

Patterson just signed a huge extention.

JMarkJohns
12-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Patterson just signed a huge extention.

With, I would assume, has a list of schools in an Exit Clause... I'm sure all the big name institutions are on that list. Not saying he is a candidate, but, like I said, Patterson doesn't have to go to Florida. There's a trickle down effect in most cases... Say Bob Stoops goes to Florida... Why wouldn't Patterson want the Oklahoma job? Why wouldn't OK want Patterson?

mookie2001
12-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Well thanks dr dmx for the medical
explanation

monosylab1k
12-26-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm gonna throw this one out there - in a year or two, Bill Belichick will retire and Urban Meyer will be there to step in as HC of the Patriots.

gaKNOW!blee
12-26-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm gonna throw this one out there - in a year or two, Bill Belichick will retire and Urban Meyer will be there to step in as HC of the Patriots.

Thank god...I'm sick of seeing the Patriots on top.

JMarkJohns
12-26-2009, 09:51 PM

I first heard news of his resignation via a text. No info other than "Urban Meyer Resigns" so my first thought was an NFL head coaching gig, possibly to Jacksonville where they've openly discussed drafting Tebow with their 1st-round pick.

I guess news is out that Meyer will remain at Florida in some non-coaching capacity. I don't doubt that he's eventually going to go to the pros.

IronMexican
12-26-2009, 10:25 PM
How weak is the SEC now, though? Tennessee might become Alabama's only challenge in a year or two in that conference.

SpursFanFirst
12-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Apparently he's suffered extreme pain as a result of a brain cyst, and says he's ignored his health for years...hopefully it's nothing serious. They say he's not in the hospital and isn't suffering any immediate health issues. He's planning an official press conference tomorrow. Hope he gets well soon.

Interesting. I hadn't heard that part.

I DID just see this though...

A Florida football staffer told the Orlando Sentinel Saturday that Meyer was in fact hospitalized "at least twice" this month with nausea, chest pain, and sickness.

SpursFanFirst
12-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Crazy... so, what is the trickle down effect through the coaching ranks?

Bob Stoops? Pete Carroll? Butch Davis? Gary Patterson?

Carroll leave USC? I can't imagine that ever happening.
I don't know his story though. Maybe FL is a dream job.

I guess it's a good thing ND and Meyer didn't really talk. :lol Can you imagine the fallout there?

JMarkJohns
12-26-2009, 10:27 PM
How weak is the SEC now, though? Tennessee might become Alabama's only challenge in a year or two in that conference.

Florida will get someone. I would have to think Butch Davis would jump at the chance to coach a Florida school once again. Higher level of talent, better depth... Greater expectations, but he coached at Miami, so, that should be handled well enough.

JMarkJohns
12-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Carroll leave USC? I can't imagine that ever happening.
I don't know his story though. Maybe FL is a dream job.

I guess it's a good thing ND and Meyer didn't really talk. :lol Can you imagine the fallout there?

Only reason I mention Carroll is the current climate surrounding USC athletics. Lots of minor to major infractions. He may be the cause. He may not. He may be tired of it and want a change of scenery without really leaving behind recruiting advantages/National Championship status year in, year out. Florida would provide that better than any other place. I doubt it happens, but the situation makes his name worth a mention. As much so as Stoops' mention...

IronMexican
Miami might still be up there with the rest of the title contenders if Davis is stil there. Coker took Davis' players.

IronMexican
I can't see Carroll leaving.

JMarkJohns
12-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Miami might still be up there with the rest of the title contenders if Davis is stil there. Coker took Davis' players.

Agreed, to a point. Davis is a great recruiter (or was at Miami), and only a good coach. However, at some point, talent dictates success. Davis would be a fantastic hire for Florida as a first option, let alone backup.

JMarkJohns
12-26-2009, 10:33 PM
I can't see Carroll leaving.

I don't either, but, as was said, lots of issues (most minor) in recent years. Definitely worth a mention as it's an ideal lateral move should he so desire.

mookie2001
12-26-2009, 10:44 PM
I think it's a given florida is moving down in coaching prestige and talent. yall can start hiring stoops, Patterson, carroll, etc on the Internets but florida is paying for this one for years to come

JMarkJohns
12-26-2009, 10:49 PM
That's why I think Davis is the smart hire. He'd probably jump at the chance to coach in the state of Florida again and has proven to be capable of assembling massive amount of talent at every position, so, at least you'd remain atop the recruiting world and relevant from a talent standpoint. If his coaching proves an issue, at least he cupboard won't be bare (ala Coker in 1999, 2000, 2001 with Davis' recruits).

DMX7
12-26-2009, 11:17 PM
It's probably going to be someone connected to the program. An old ast. coach or maybe even a promotion from within the program. I really don't see Carroll leaving.

IronMexican
12-26-2009, 11:25 PM
When does Brown plan on retiring? Any chance Muschamp just gets tired of waiting? I doubt it, but it's a higher possibility than Carroll. I could see Stoops going before that.

monosylab1k
12-26-2009, 11:59 PM

http://media.ky3.com/images/mallett1.jpg
since jevan snead failed in his attempt to be the second coming.

johngateswhiteley
12-27-2009, 12:14 AM
I don't either, but, as was said, lots of issues (most minor) in recent years. Definitely worth a mention as it's an ideal lateral move should he so desire.

I think usc is a little better job than florida, but youre right, its one of the few places he could almost make a lateral move.

...but it won't happen. I don't see anyway Carroll leaves before barkley graduates. Not that o think he'd even leave then. Of course, I'm nervous for what infractions there may be...

JMarkJohns
12-27-2009, 12:28 AM
I think usc is a little better job than florida, but youre right, its one of the few places he could almost make a lateral move.

...but it won't happen. I don't see anyway Carroll leaves before barkley graduates. Not that o think he'd even leave then. Of course, I'm nervous for what infractions there may be...

It's better because USC is in the Pac-10 while Florida is in the SEC. Other than that, no difference at all in program stature (at least recently). Talent pool wise, it's equal with all the west/way west recruiting. Unlike USC who has to compete with the Lakers/Dodgers for overall community affinity, Florida is the only show in town. That is a blessing and a curse, but for a good coach, it's a blessing.

DMX7
12-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Unlike USC who has to compete with the Lakers/Dodgers for overall community affinity, Florida is the only show in town. That is a blessing and a curse, but for a good coach, it's a blessing.

L.A.'s the 2nd largest media market in the country though. Pretty big community.

JMarkJohns
12-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Sure and Florida has won two National Championships since USC was even in one...

The point isn't to bash either. Each is a choice gig. However, Florida has all the ups, save for market size, and none of the downs, save for maybe SEC schedule. However, a 1-loss SEC champ is always the tops amongst 1-loss teams, so most years the SEC schedule will have its own ups as well.

Biggems
12-27-2009, 02:15 AM
I wonder if today's news knocks florida out of the running for Jordan Hicks? if so, then it seems to be down to tOSU and UT.

monosylab1k
12-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Not resigning, it's just a leave of absence.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AgRTo6ByV5LidnbtxGySNQUcvrYF?slug=ap-t25-florida-meyer&prov=ap&type=lgns

mookie2001
12-27-2009, 03:43 PM
What an asshole. I guess his health problems were headaches and sore back

JMarkJohns
12-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Move along... nothing to see here... Much ado about nothing, I guess. Very anticlimactic. A top-5 coach steps down in his prime and within 12 hours a interim successor is named and said head coach is merely stepping away for a short time.

The timing is suspect. Methinks he doesn't want to be the fall guy for the next two seasons while a new QB is developed. We've seen with USC that a season can get pretty mediocre for even a talent-laden team.

SpursFanFirst
12-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Makes sense, his gravy train at Florida is over. He'll take a year off and then it's on to the NFL.

Perhaps, but coaching in the NFL is far different than coaching in college.
In college, it takes over a coach's life because he's involved in every aspect of the team - including recruiting.
In the NFL, a coach is most likely involved in ONE area.

SpursFanFirst
12-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Move along... nothing to see here... Much ado about nothing, I guess. Very anticlimactic. A top-5 coach steps down in his prime and within 12 hours a interim successor is named and said head coach is merely stepping away for a short time.

The timing is suspect. Methinks he doesn't want to be the fall guy for the next two seasons while a new QB is developed. We've seen with USC that a season can get pretty mediocre for even a talent-laden team.

So, he was hospitalized twice in the past month for fun?

I don't understand all the negativity toward this man.
He's having health problems. Perhaps the chest pains and hospitalization were frightening enough for him to take a step back and re-evaluate his goals and priorities.

JMarkJohns
12-27-2009, 04:46 PM
So, he was hospitalized twice in the past month for fun?

I don't understand all the negativity toward this man.
He's having health problems. Perhaps the chest pains and hospitalization were frightening enough for him to take a step back and re-evaluate his goals and priorities.

His first experience with this came four years ago according to ESPN. For the first time in a while at Florida, he's going to have some struggles. I'm saying the timing for his "need for an excused absence" is suspect. Perhaps it was too much strain? Perhaps it provided him the excuse necessary to let a fall guy develop the next QB for a year or two, then he steps back in...

I don't know. If the health concerns are serious enough to warrant re-evaluation, enough for that re-evaluation to warrant a resignation, then stick to it. Now the health issues that one day ago were defective heart valves/brain cysts are manageable with merely a year off to "rest"?

OK... I like Meyer. I enjoy watching his offenses. I have always thought highly of him since his time at Utah. But this just seems a bit too odd for me.

mookie2001
12-27-2009, 05:03 PM
john brantley as a fourth year junior would be the ideal situation for a program with a departing qb

i think he twatted out, if youre leaving, leave, if youre staying, stay, and dont blame it on some non existant health problem that 70% of americans probably have anyway

god espn is going to have a permanent boner for this story, FOREVER

SpursFanFirst
12-27-2009, 05:04 PM
His first experience with this came four years ago according to ESPN. For the first time in a while at Florida, he's going to have some struggles. I'm saying the timing for his "need for an excused absence" is suspect. Perhaps it was too much strain? Perhaps it provided him the excuse necessary to let a fall guy develop the next QB for a year or two, then he steps back in...

I don't know. If the health concerns are serious enough to warrant re-evaluation, enough for that re-evaluation to warrant a resignation, then stick to it. Now the health issues that one day ago were defective heart valves/brain cysts are manageable with merely a year off to "rest"?

OK... I like Meyer. I enjoy watching his offenses. I have always thought highly of him since his time at Utah. But this just seems a bit too odd for me.

Perhaps.
I guess time will tell.

johngateswhiteley
12-27-2009, 06:00 PM

No kidding, why was anything said in the first place...ridiculous. I agree with you, I think he wants the pressure off.

Whisky Dog
12-27-2009, 06:05 PM
If he's trying to dick out because they're gonna be worse with no QB to step in then he's a no class pussy who should just quit coaching all together. So you preach fighting through adversity to your teams but then pussy out when things get difficult? Ok.

monosylab1k
12-27-2009, 06:05 PM
If coaching is so harmful to his health, why is he sticking around for the bowl game? If he's really concerned about his health, he'd be gone immediately.

I think he's doing it because he doesn't want the criticism when Florida drops off. If the expected drop-off never happens, or if Florida gets back on top earlier than expected, he can just take over again and be a hero.

This story has all kinds of similarities to that whole Pat Riley-Stan Van Gundy drama.

johngateswhiteley
12-27-2009, 06:16 PM
If coaching is so harmful to his health, why is he sticking around for the bowl game? If he's really concerned about his health, he'd be gone immediately.

I think he's doing it because he doesn't want the criticism when Florida drops off. If the expected drop-off never happens, or if Florida gets back on top earlier than expected, he can just take over again and be a hero.

This story has all kinds of similarities to that whole Pat Riley-Stan Van Gundy drama.

Exactly! I forgot about that van gundy v. riley episode. Great comparison.

JMarkJohns
12-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Meyer holds some sort of win-percentage mark for a career. Maybe he sees the issues a very talented USC team has had this year, knows the SEC is tougher than the Pac-10, and figures now is a good time to "need a rest" and take a break from the stress his position places upon these conditions? Maybe he doesn't want a down 7-5 year to count against his all-time career win-percentage record? Maybe he just doesn't want the hassle of developing the new QB?

So he steps away, lets a new QB develop, steps back in and, hey, he wins...

I mean, if the health concerns are are serious as reported (defective heart valves/brain cysts), and was enough to warrant a resignation just last night, why come back at all? If they aren't nearly serious enough to resign, why make the announcement?

It all seems a bit too calculated and convenient.

I agree with Mono on the Riley/Van Gundy comparison. "Oh, we're down... I'm sick. Gotta step away... OH! We're good! All Better... IIIIIIII'M BAAAAACCCCKKKK!"

DMX7
12-27-2009, 06:30 PM
This feels very Billy Donavanish.

johngateswhiteley
12-27-2009, 07:09 PM
This feels very Billy Donavanish.

It's bullshit, really.

johngateswhiteley
12-27-2009, 07:16 PM
It's better because USC is in the Pac-10 while Florida is in the SEC. Other than that, no difference at all in program stature (at least recently). Talent pool wise, it's equal with all the west/way west recruiting. Unlike USC who has to compete with the Lakers/Dodgers for overall community affinity, Florida is the only show in town. That is a blessing and a curse, but for a good coach, it's a blessing.

1. If by that you mean Florida has lower academic standard...ok. many wouldnt see outside of that as a plus

2. Talent pool wise I agree, although usc or carroll, has a knack of getting the top recruit in other states

3. Competing against the dodgers/lakers? Really? I'm guessing you've never lived in LA...its a non issue. USC has every advantage in this area...every

JMarkJohns
12-27-2009, 09:29 PM
3. Competing against the dodgers/lakers? Really? I'm guessing you've never lived in LA...its a non issue. USC has every advantage in this area...every

I've followed the Pac-10 and the Divisions of Los Angeles sports teams long enough to know that LA is a front-runner town like few others. I've seen USC down, and the crowds at the game aren't nearly the same (in number or fervor) as they are when they are good.

Prehaps there's always an underlying support, and I suppose what I said above applies to almost any team anywhere, no matter, but I do think that it varies to certain levels, and LA fandom is fickle and its focus ever changing.

The Lakers are the more successful team right now and USC is coming off a down year and is losing some important players from this year's team (not to mention could be facing some penalties for their recent infractions). It's not far fetched to think USC fails to reclaim the Pac next year. Meanwhile, the Lakers will likely be coming off their third consecutive Finals appearance and possibly going for a third straight Title.

I've seen enough to know the tide will turn.

IronMexican
12-27-2009, 09:33 PM
I've followed the Pac-10 and the Divisions of Los Angeles sports teams long enough to know that LA is a front-runner town like few others. I've seen USC down, and the crowds at the game aren't nearly the same (in number or fervor) as they are when they are good.

Prehaps there's always an underlying support, and I suppose what I said above applies to almost any team anywhere, no matter, but I do think that it varies to certain levels, and LA fandom is fickle and its focus ever changing.

The Lakers are the more successful team right now and USC is coming off a down year and is losing some important players from this year's team (not to mention could be facing some penalties for their recent infractions). It's not far fetched to think USC fails to reclaim the Pac next year. Meanwhile, the Lakers will likely be coming off their third consecutive Finals appearance and possibly going for a third straight Title.

LA is definitely fair-weather about every team except the Lakers. Dodgers, SC, and anything else you can name, will have low ticket sales in down years. Except the Lakers.

johngateswhiteley
12-27-2009, 09:43 PM

I understand more where you are coming from now. I guess I automatically looked past that, since I don't see USC fading away. But there are a bunch of fair weather fans in LA, just don't underestimate the # of loyal fans.

However, since there is no pro team, USC is everything football, which is what I was alluding towards. Further, I never noticed, even though LA is frontrunning, a competition between pro sports and USC. We will see what Neuheisel does to possibly alter that.

JMarkJohns
12-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Look. I want USC to do well. It's better for the Pac-10 when USC is a juggernaut. It pushes other teams to excel. My analysis is no critique. It's just what I've seen as a fan of opposing squads since the late 1980s.

I'm in no way demeaning or slighting USC. It's a Top-5 coaching destination overall, a top-three location for recruits and arguably the best location with all the glitz LA offers.

All this is moot anyways... Meyer is taking a respite, not resigning, so no trickle-down is in effect. Carroll has a sweet gig at USC, and, as I was saying, really only Florida (maybe Miami) could offer similar. Florida, at the time, was thought to be open, and the current climate at USC made for his likeliest scenario for departure. That's all I was getting at.

Glad he's staying. Glad there's no trickle-down...

johngateswhiteley
12-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Look. I want USC to do well. It's better for the Pac-10 when USC is a juggernaut. It pushes other teams to excel. My analysis is no critique. It's just what I've seen as a fan of opposing squads since the late 1980s.

I'm in no way demeaning or slighting USC. It's a Top-5 coaching destination overall, a top-three location for recruits and arguably the best location with all the glitz LA offers.

All this is moot anyways... Meyer is taking a respite, not resigning, so no trickle-down is in effect. Carroll has a sweet gig at USC, and, as I was saying, really only Florida (maybe Miami) could offer similar. Florida, at the time, was thought to be open, and the current climate at USC made for his likeliest scenario for departure. That's all I was getting at.

Glad he's staying. Glad there's no trickle-down...

I don't disagree with any of that. BTW, I want cincy to crush Florida....I can hope.

TFloss32
12-28-2009, 03:52 PM
IMO, there is always more to a story and the past few days have me wondering what Urban's true motives are. I'm sure his health issues are legit, but the timing of his announcement to resign (and then changing it to a "leave of absence") makes me wonder what's really going on.

It's almost as if he changed his status because he realized he potentially ruined the recruiting class of 2010, and he wants to leave a window of opportunity open to field professional coaching offers in case he doesn't want to return to Florida. It's like he's confused about (or fearful of) coaching a team that's in transition with coaching changes and the loss of Tebow. The question is...how long can Florida wait to decide whether they stick with Urban or move on? They'll have a month and a half after the Sugar Bowl before spring practice starts. That's definitely not enough time for Meyer to clear up his health issues and you don't go through spring practice without a head coach.

The Florida faithful have to pissed about how all of this has gone down, though. If Meyer would've timed this differently, the Gators could've hired a big name coach (if I'm Stoops or Davis I don't want Meyer looking over my shoulder), saved their recruits and not missed a beat. Now, the program is left with a bunch of question marks. If I'm a 2010 recruit and I want Urban Meyer to be my coach, I decide to commit elsewhere. Too much uncertainty IMO and I don't think he'll be back.

Has he already received a call from Jerry World?

The Gemini Method
12-28-2009, 06:44 PM
It would've been a shame to see Meyer step down after being ultra successful with the Gators. I'm sure the majority of posters here have known someone who've dealt with heart issues and/or have dealt with them personally. I think he might have gotten a little caught up in the moment of a definite "life altering" scare and had some time to deal with it. He made the quick decision to retire and it is often those type of decisions that are easily reversed since they were made in the throes of any number of experiences. Florida will be loaded because the pool of players in which any Florida school pulls from is second to none. They are still king when it comes to recruiting down there, although Miami is regaining its swagger, so I don't expect anything to change. Though, the uncertainty can be unnerving, the Florida Gators are moving amongst the bluebloods of CF and that will remain with/or without Urban.

mookie2001
12-28-2009, 06:52 PM
"heart issues"? in the last two days ive heard he has had a defective valve, cyst on his brain, headaches, anxiety, back pain, depession, fatigue, ive fallen and i cant get up, nasua, fainting

i know we all like to play doctor but come on its either serious enough to quit coaching or its not, what waste of time talking about his "problems"

JMarkJohns
12-28-2009, 08:05 PM
"heart issues"? in the last two days ive heard he has had a defective valve, cyst on his brain, headaches, anxiety, back pain, depession, fatigue, ive fallen and i cant get up, nasua, fainting

i know we all like to play doctor but come on its either serious enough to quit coaching or its not, what waste of time talking about his "problems"

I was concerned when Meyer was concerned enough to walk away. Now that he thinks little of them again, I don't care to follow these health issues. Obviously having a defective heart valve or brain cysts is serious, him being a baby and not handling anxiety well isn't.

j-6
12-28-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but if he's been dealing with all these health issues for however long, why the hell did they let Charlie Strong go to Louisville?

SpursFanFirst
01-01-2010, 01:11 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/Urban-Meyer-hide-chest-pains-123109

According to a 911 recording, Meyer complained of chest pain and said his side was tingling before he was hospitalized Dec. 6.

Meyer's wife told an Alachua County dispatcher that her 45-year-old husband had a pulse but wasn't talking when she contacted emergency officials at 4:27 a.m., hours after the Gators returned Home from a 32-13 loss to Alabama.

"My husband's having chest pains," Shelley Meyer said. "He's having chest pains, he just woke up in the middle of the night and said he's having chest pains."

Shelley Meyer said her husband had taken a sleeping pill that night and had suffered chest pains before. She repeatedly tried to rouse Meyer, who was lying on his stomach on the floor.

"Urban, Urban, talk to me," she says.

The 911 recording first was obtained by ESPN.

Initial reports indicated the Florida coach checked into a Gainesville hospital, where he was treated for dehydration and released. Shelley Meyer told dispatchers her husband was breathing and appeared to be grunting.

This doesn't sound too fake to me.