PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' Finley continues to rehab on road trip

duncan228
12-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Spurs' Finley continues to rehab on road trip (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_Finley_continues_to_rehab_on_road_trip.html)
Mike Monroe

MILWAUKEE — For the first time since he suffered a Grade 2 sprain of the left ankle in a game against the Sacramento Kings on Dec. 9, Spurs forward Michael Finley was with his teammates on a road trip.

The 15-year veteran, who played his college ball at Wisconsin in nearby Madison, still has swelling in the ankle and isn't close to a return to action. He made the trip to continue work with strength and conditioning coaches Mike Brungardt and Chris White and to be around his teammates.

“He's not really close (to getting back on the court),” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, “but he's getting better all the time. He wants to be with the team and part of it, so he's traveling.”

Power forward-center Matt Bonner, who suffered a fractured fourth metacarpal on his right hand on Dec. 19, also made the trip.

Though he, too, wanted to be able to continue his rehab and conditioning work, he had an ulterior motive he planned to pursue before Saturday night's game at the Bradley Center.

“I'm going to the famous Carnegie Deli for lunch,” said the player who calls himself “The Sandwich Hunter” in a popular blog on Spurs.com. “I'm going to tell them I want their most famous sandwich. I hear they're huge.”

Chilly memories: Keith Bogans remembers well his first day as a temporary Milwaukee resident.

Sent to the Bucks by the Magic in a trade deadline deal that sent Tyronn Lue to Orlando, Bogans stepped off a flight from Florida in a short-sleeved shirt into 20-degree weather.

“First thing I did was go buy a warm coat,” the Spurs' starting big guard said.

A few hours later, he suited up for the Bucks and played 20-plus minutes against the Detroit Pistons.

Seated next to him in the Spurs' locker room Saturday, former Pistons player Antonio McDyess laughed at the memory.

“Man, you were crying,” McDyess said to Bogans.

Knowing he would be a free agent at season's end, Bogans didn't even rent an apartment in Milwaukee. Instead, he made a temporary home at the Pfister Hotel, where most NBA teams stay when playing in Milwaukee.

“I wasn't here long,” Bogans said, “but I enjoyed my time here, except for the cold and snow, of course.”

spurs1990
12-27-2009, 01:55 AM
Fin is the consumate teammate.

One thing we can say for our Spurs is they trot out the most dignified and reputable roster in the league in the TD era.

I spose I can appreciate we've never had an Artest, Rasheed, or Iverson sully that exemplar model.

SenorSpur
12-27-2009, 03:55 AM
I can't help but wonder to myself "why is he here?"

silverblackfan
12-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Those sandwiches at Carnegie Deli are huge. Too much meat, if that is possible. Hope Matty doesn't try to lift that with his bad hand and re-injure himself. :rollin

greyforest
12-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Fin is the consumate teammate.

One thing we can say for our Spurs is they trot out the most dignified and reputable roster in the league in the TD era.

I spose I can appreciate we've never had an Artest, Rasheed, or Iverson sully that exemplar model.

yeah people will alawys talk shit about bowen though

anonoftheinternets
12-27-2009, 12:29 PM
it will actually be good to get finley/bonner back. More options and finley is pretty clutch in late game scenarios. Bonner was shooting lights out as well.

loveforthegame
12-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Yes..."rehab"

I wonder why a sprained ankle he could put plenty of pressure on when he hurt it is taking so long to heal...

Seems kinda strange. His age maybe? Or that it was worse than they reported?

Is he going to be out longer than the 4 week timetable is what I'd like to know.

lennyalderette
12-27-2009, 03:54 PM
yeah even a bad sprain doesnt take that long.. i mean he should be coming back anytime now, but for them to say " hes not even close" is pretty bazaar

lennyalderette
12-27-2009, 03:56 PM
i would be more appreciative of his time away except that pop isnt playing any of the guys we thought would finally make an appearance on court. pop is turning into an old fart

Spurs Brazil
01-10-2010, 06:39 PM
5:34 Jeff McDonald: Finley, strangely enough, is still about two weeks away, according to Pop. Seems like he's been two weeks away for weeks.
Sunday January 10, 2010 5:34 Jeff McDonald
5:34 Jeff McDonald: We watched Finley go through some defensive-back agility drills before practice yesterday, and he looked spry to us. Not sure what the hold up is.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/01/san-antonio-spu.html

loveforthegame
01-10-2010, 08:38 PM
It doesn't make sense but you can't always believe what Pop says either.

Maybe they're saving him for the rodeo road trip??

HarlemHeat37
01-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Maybe they're having trouble in paradise?..

HarlemHeat37
01-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Seriously though, I'm hoping they're holding him out for a trade, and he'll come back after he's bought out..something like that..

the crimson blur
01-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Man, I'd love to have Bonner back. Finley too of course, but I wanna see how this team looks with all our chemistry improvement with Bonner on the court. Hope his shooting doesn't take a dip cause of the finger.

loveforthegame
01-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Seriously though, I'm hoping they're holding him out for a trade, and he'll come back after he's bought out..something like that..

That's certainly possible. And there wouldn't be any excuse for Finley not to be fresh for the playoffs should he return after a buyout.

When is the trade deadline again?

timvp
01-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Take your time, Fin.

Take your time.

The Red Hood
01-10-2010, 10:24 PM
If he's traded then brought back, two posters in particular are going to have shit fits that they didn't do the same for Bruce. :lol

HarlemHeat37
01-10-2010, 10:26 PM
two posters? LOL..I think it would be A LOTTTT more than that..