PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson striving to fit in

duncan228
12-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Jefferson striving to fit in (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/80150162.html)
Ex-Buck has new role with Spurs
By Charles F. Gardner of the Journal Sentinel

Richard Jefferson's transition from New Jersey to Milwaukee went fairly smoothly one year ago.

But the veteran small forward has had a bumpier ride in San Antonio, after being sent there by the Bucks in a three-team deal in June.

Of course, the expectations are much greater in San Antonio, with a team trying to recapture some magic and contend with the Los Angeles Lakers and the other top teams in the Western Conference.

Suddenly Jefferson is playing alongside a future Hall of Famer in power forward Tim Duncan while also getting a chance to mix his talents with point guard Tony Parker and sixth man Manu Ginobili.

"He's trying to fit in among Tony and Tim and Manu and figure out where he's going to get the ball and how it's going to go," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "And they're trying to figure him out. So it takes a little while, but it's progressing steadily."

Jefferson entered Saturday night's game against the Bucks with a 13.4 scoring average, more than six points below his average last season. He also was averaging 4.0 rebounds and 2.4 assists while shooting 46.4% overall and 35.3% from three-point range.

"He's going to be more of a role player in the sense of predicating his game on defense," Popovich said. "And that's going to be an adjustment for him.

"He's a natural scorer. He can shoot it pretty well; he can drive it pretty well. He can do all those things offensively. But we want him to concentrate on defense, so that's where our primary effort is."

The 6-foot-7 Jefferson enjoyed playing for Bucks coach Scott Skiles, even though the former Arizona player never really got to mesh with Michael Redd and Andrew Bogut due to their season-ending injuries suffered in late January.

The Bucks were making a run for an Eastern Conference playoff spot until those two players went out, leaving Jefferson in a leading role.

"I was in one system for so many years in Jersey, and then I came here to Milwaukee and everybody was learning Skiles' system," Jefferson said. "So there were 12 guys trying to learn a new coach's system, so there wasn't anybody that was ahead of another person.

"We were all figuring it out. Then you come here (with the Spurs), and you've got a bunch of guys that know it, a bunch of guys that don't, a bunch of guys that are trying to pick it up, a bunch of guys that are thinking while they're playing.

"It's not a matter of excuses. After a couple months, you have a basis of what coach wants and the pace you need to play at, but it's also a matter of getting it right and being tenacious at both ends."

The Spurs entered play Saturday with a 15-11 record, which put them in the seventh spot in the highly competitive Western Conference.

Also in the starting lineup against the Bucks was another player who was with Milwaukee last season: shooting guard Keith Bogans.

The Bucks got Bogans in a trade with Orlando on Feb. 5 but did not attempt to re-sign the former Kentucky player during the off-season.

The 6-5 Bogans remained unsigned until just before training camp began when he landed in San Antonio. But he has played a key role, starting 22 of 26 games and playing about 20 minutes per game.

"I like having a guy in the starting lineup that can take on the best scorer or player on the other team, as far as the perimeter is concerned," Popovich said. "He relishes that role and he does a good job at it.

"He'll get better and better as the year goes along."

Bogans said he never expected to gain a starting role but has enjoyed being in a lineup featuring Duncan, Parker and Jefferson, with Ginobili often subbing for Bogans.

"I've played against these guys for a lot of years," said Bogans, who is in his seventh pro season and playing for his fifth team. "To finally play with them - Manu, Timmy and Tony - they know the game and they know the system."

Bogans plays a role similar to the one Luc Richard Mbah a Moute plays with the Bucks.

"That's been my job, to play defense first," Bogans said. "Everybody can score in the NBA, and I just hope my teammates do a good job of helping me out."

BillMc
12-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Nice read. Thanks for posting.

TIMMYD!
12-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks.

anonoftheinternets
12-27-2009, 03:49 PM
i love being able to read all these stories at one site. Thanks.