PDA

View Full Version : Last game...why Manu -8 ?

OldSilentHill
12-27-2009, 04:59 PM
M. Ginobili

23:05 MIN

5-6 FGM-A

1-1 3PM-A

2-2 FTM-A

3 Def. Rebounds

8 Assist

2 Steals

Ok, 1 TO, but cīmon...

Result: -8 :( ?? Dont get it. I have read how you get to it, but i guess i didnt get it well.

I dont see why the Manu-bashing, i know he is not in super-Manu mode, but...cīmon :flag:

http://www.nba.com/games/20091226/SASMIL/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp0020900435

GabeIsGone
12-27-2009, 05:03 PM
+/- stats have have not only to do with how a player does himself, but how the team does when he was in the game. Thus a -8 score when he did well individually means the team didn't do well when he was in.

OldSilentHill
12-27-2009, 05:11 PM
+/- stats have have not only to do with how a player does himself, but how the team does when he was in the game. Thus a -8 score when he did well individually means the team didn't do well when he was in.

I see, thanks.

So this system is not so fair afterall. A team can play worst for many other reasons :nope

NFGIII
12-27-2009, 05:17 PM
A good example of why stats sometimes can be misleading and why Hollinger has such a bad rep on this board. You can't always quantify performances. Statistics can be helpful an d give you a good indication of the potential that a team/person has but it isn't the "be all end all" that some want it to be.

:flag:

Spursfan 87
12-27-2009, 08:35 PM
stupid thread

Duncan21kid
12-27-2009, 08:35 PM
fuck off , this doesnt need a thread

superjames1992
12-28-2009, 12:31 AM
+/- stats in individual games are useless. I think there is some value towards using them over the span of a large quantity of games (such as over a season) as these good and bad performances tend to even out, but +/- is still not the best gauge of a player's performance. Still, it's an interesting tool.

anonoftheinternets
12-28-2009, 12:39 AM
stupid thread

did u really need to bump it just to say that? I on the other hand have no problems bumping it.

ElNono
12-28-2009, 12:43 AM
I'm tired of explaining, but I'll do it one more time: If you're lookin for individual performance ratings then you're better served by other stats, like PER, etc.
Plus/Minus is a useful stat to gauge the effectiveness of certain lineups and not much else.
Most people don't even understand that Plus/Minus doesn't even take into accout basic stats like rebounding, assists or FG%.

lennyalderette
12-28-2009, 02:41 AM
fuck off , this doesnt need a thread

damn thats a lil hardcore, this isnt half as bad as some of the others on a regular basis, but i guess this one is really offensive

K-State Spur
12-28-2009, 09:30 AM
+/- stats in individual games are useless. I think there is some value towards using them over the span of a large quantity of games (such as over a season) as these good and bad performances tend to even out, but +/- is still not the best gauge of a player's performance. Still, it's an interesting tool.

agreed. i see some value in +/- stats; but the sample size has to be quite large for them to have any value.