PDA

View Full Version : Parker & Ginobili - good signs

raspsa
12-27-2009, 11:03 PM
I couldn't watch the game live but from what I read and some TV clips, Tony looked like the TP of old. SOme nice penetrations in the lane and acrobatic finishes. Coming after a decent game against the Bucks, this is good to see.

Manu also provided some clutch play when it mattered. Someone wrote that Manu was being conservative and isn't attacking the basket so much nowadays. That seems to me very plausible and this performance illustrated that manu can still turn it on when needed. I still think Manu is not in 100% game shape and ithere's no need to rush things. POs a re a long ways off.

ducks
12-27-2009, 11:06 PM
I think game is on nba tv right now

duncan228
12-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Some post game comments.

“The whole season is about jelling for us, try to adapt to all the new guys,” Parker said. “We changed more than half of the team, so it’ll take some time.

“It’s different, because we’ve got a lot of new guys and everybody’s trying to do the right thing, trying to play unselfish, and moving the ball and I think it will take some time. But I think we’re going to the right direction. I think we’re on the right track.”

“I’m very happy with the way I played the last two games and the way the team played,” Ginobili said. “It’s going to be a nice trip home.”

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3949108&postcount=425

TDMVPDPOY
12-27-2009, 11:20 PM
all it takes is one bad game or a loss, the haters come out

ElNono
12-27-2009, 11:26 PM
I actually thought Manu was a little more spry today driving and getting to the rim. He did miss a layup and a fingerroll, but he just missed them. It wasn't that he didn't have a lift or that he couldn't get to the rim.
His shot will be important though, at least until later in the season. I like that his assists are up lately and that've have found a nice connection with Dice sine Pop sent Antonio to the bench...

ElNono
12-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Oh and Tony was great again. He shook off a jittery start to the 3rd quarter and finished strong... :tu

Sean Cagney
12-28-2009, 02:39 AM
All good signs for us, period.

lennyalderette
12-28-2009, 02:46 AM
all it takes is one bad game or a loss, the haters come out

yep, i for one will admit i have been hating on parker, but i dont regret it, if hes injured or not feeling well he shouldnt hog playing time. what i learned about parker since the slump is that if hes not scoring well he really is useless. i mean seriously i love the kid but you gotta admit theres very little D even potential D! <5 assists on a good day. no alley oops. if parker stops scoring we are so screwed

EricB
12-28-2009, 03:10 AM
If Parker isn't scoring he's useless.

Sigh....

Kori Ellis
12-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Parker's D has been horrible for the most part this season, but to say he has very little "potential D" is funny. It's like people never watched him until this year.

Anyway, it looks like Manu/Tony might be turning the corner on their sub-par seasons...thank goodness.

Jason R
12-28-2009, 04:38 AM
People really think Manu looked good? His shorts are awfully short; he has no legs beneath him when he elevates for a jump shot, but also on layups and such. He still looks like he's struggling just to get some lift.

temujin
12-28-2009, 05:36 AM
Parker's D has been horrible for the most part this season, but to say he has very little "potential D" is funny. It's like people never watched him until this year.

Anyway, it looks like Manu/Tony might be turning the corner on their sub-par seasons...thank goodness.

Agreed.

Parker was a big liability on defense, until the Milwakee game. In NYC we have seen he can still be very aggressive.
Maybe Longoria should be at games more often.

As for Manu, he is still not yet in control of games like he used to be, but the best measure is how well he does in 4th quarters of close games. And he did well in NYC.

temujin
12-28-2009, 05:39 AM
People really think Manu looked good? His shorts are awfully short; he has no legs beneath him when he elevates for a jump shot, but also on layups and such. He still looks like he's struggling just to get some lift.

You must have gone to the fridge often during the Knicks game.
Expecially in the 4th.

Bukefal
12-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Tony did well, I just he continues to do so and get better like we are used of him to do so.

Its tough, because if you play a very long time over and over again every week with the same players and same rotations, you as a player can actually read your teammates, you are so used to them and adjusted, you know every step they do. But now, everything is changed, new rotations, as a player you cant read the others anymore. Its all about adjusting and getting used to each other. That increases turnovers and stupid faults.

This will come, it needs time, and maybe it takes a bit longer than we've expected, but I hope the time is here now.

quentin_compson
12-28-2009, 06:04 AM
It was great to see Tony and Manu take over in the fourth quarter, especially on a night where TD was taking it easy (a little bit).

Tony definitely was in scorer-mode last night, very aggressive in taking it to the rim but also consistent with his midrange jumper.
Manu's shots looked short for some time, but he found his rhythm later on and was even able to take it to the rim.

ElNono
12-28-2009, 07:40 AM
If Parker isn't scoring he's useless.

Sigh....

Are you arguing or agreeing?

silverblackfan
12-28-2009, 07:58 AM
I think Tony has been aggressive on defense for the last 2 games and it was refreshing to see. He was attacking well tonight.
Manu seems to be rounding into shape and had a nice fast break at the end. His shot is inconsistant, but that is one area that I know he will never lose.
We need these guys, so it is nice to see them coming along.

Chieflion
12-28-2009, 08:04 AM
They still can score, no doubt.

polandprzem
12-28-2009, 08:24 AM

And his playmaking isn't there.

I'm tired of hearing new guys are in town so we have to adopt. This adopting takes so much time it seems forever. We heading in good direction? I don't know. Knicks are not elite team esp. when Al does not play at his best, same with hughes. If one of this guys could go off spurs would lost.
TP's penetrations? Well he was better then Knicks D it has nothing to do with Spurs ofense.
Another thing - sometimes it looked like NY had a training session when they could pass the ball wherever they want. Player where open and their playes were not that fast at all.

All in all IMO spurs are way deep in the dark, and still I do not know what they are capable of doing because thay did not show nothing that could shine their potential through that darkness.

raspsa
12-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Tony and manu continue their solid play vs. Wolves. Tony did a good job scoring when needed and with 8 assists. Manu was more than solid, flirting with a triple double. The team is starting to live up to its potential. With the Big 3 in sync and the deepest bench in the NBA to fall back on, what's not to like?

Chomag
12-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Not sure what to think about them. They haven't been pressured much the last few games. It's pretty simple really, it's easy to score on a terrible defencive team, and it's easy to defend a not so good offensive team.

I still think it's a we shall see when up against a team that can put the pressure on our guys to really know how they are doing.

dav4463
12-29-2009, 11:13 PM
It's only Minnesota, but I saw a lot of the old Spurs swagger tonight. It is refreshing.

ElNono
12-29-2009, 11:20 PM
You know, some people claim it's easy to beat these shitty teams, but you have to go out there and do it. We'll have another test against Dallas in a week or two to see where we stand against teams that are playing well now...

TD 21
12-30-2009, 12:12 AM
There's been too many setbacks with this team for me to be enamored with them running roughshod over weaker competition. That being said, there are definitely some encouraging signs these past three games. Mainly the fact that it's no longer Duncan having to carry the team, instead it's the depth of the team that is winning the day.

spursncowboys
12-30-2009, 12:22 AM
The entire team looked incredible. Their passes were crisp. The defense was the best I've seen all season. I know it is just the Wolves but they are getting better as the season goes and that is what matters.

raspsa
12-30-2009, 12:32 AM
the thread is about positive signs that individual players and the team in general are showing.. they are definitely a work-in-progress but there have been definite improvements. We haven't seen any 3rdQ meltdowns in recent games and TOs are down to manageable levels.. these didn't happen by accident. We'll know soon enough what other areas of weaknesses will be exposed in coming games and rest assured these will be given due attention too. But for now, let's recognize and appreciate that the Spurs are a more cohesive bunch than they were a month ago.

Cry Havoc
12-30-2009, 12:48 AM
18-11 for a team that's played like we have is pretty good. If we gel some more, we can still make a run in the West.

Just need to continue doing our thing. =)