PDA

View Full Version : Bruschi's take on the Colts wussing out

monosylab1k
12-28-2009, 09:06 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=bruschi_tedy&id=4775238

"Our goal wasn't a perfect season."

Those were the words of Indianapolis Colts coach Jim Caldwell on Sunday after his team played the New York Jets.

Mission accomplished then.

With quarterback Peyton Manning on the sideline for most of the second half, the Colts lost to the Jets 29-15 at Lucas Oil Stadium. The manner in which Indianapolis' pursuit of a perfect season ended was disappointing.

Having been a member of the 2007 New England Patriots team that completed the regular season 16-0, I expected more from an Indianapolis team that I thought would go for an undefeated season. I was actually rooting for the Colts to make a run for perfection.

Manning will more than likely own every quarterback record known to man by the time he's done, so why shouldn't he be the one to complete a season with a 19-0 record?

There's one problem, though. Manning didn't seem to want it either. Just like his head coach, he seemed to be favoring the decision to rest.

My question is: Rest for what? The playoffs?

The Colts already have a first-round bye. That is the time to rest.

There aren't many times in your life when you have a chance to do something that has never been done before. When you are faced with a challenge like that, my feeling is that you embrace it and see if you've got what it takes to conquer it.

That's the way we felt in New England. And yes, we lost the Super Bowl, but let me be clear: We lost the Super Bowl because the New York Giants played better than we did that day. It was not because we were tired and needed more rest.

Maybe Caldwell, being a rookie head coach, didn't want to shoulder the burden of being the coach of the team that surpassed the 1972 Dolphins. Yes, surpassed, because 19-0 in this day and age would be more celebrated than a 17-0 record 37 years ago.

I didn't see much disagreement from the Colts players on the sideline when they were pulled out of the game either. Manning did look like he wanted to play, but looking like it and telling your coach that you're playing (e.g., Brett Favre) are two different things. Maybe the players didn't want the pressure either.

I understand that they are trying to win the Super Bowl and they have decided that resting gives them the best chance. But I always thought the offseason was the time for rest.

Here's the reality: Some teams don't just play for championships, they play to be the best there has ever been. Others are just satisfied with doing what's required. The Colts decided that resting is more important than making a run at history. They are telling us that what they have done up to this point in the season is good enough. They are satisfied with home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. 19-0? No big deal. History? Didn't want it.

Should the Indianapolis Colts go on to win the Super Bowl, do you celebrate them or wonder: What if they did want it?

Tedy Bruschi played 13 seasons for the New England Patriots and is a member of the franchise's 50th anniversary team.

lefty
12-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Bruschi WTF

So he thinks Colts should have won that game for perfection?

He should remember how he felt about losing the superbowl after going undefeated.
The only Patriots loss that season, but the worst one.

samikeyp
12-28-2009, 11:41 AM
The only thing that matters is a championship. Everything else is irrelevant, and Bruschi should know that.

DAF86
12-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Some teams are just satisfied with doing what's required.

And others with doing what's illegal.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Bruschi really shouldn't have said that.

monosylab1k
12-28-2009, 12:32 PM
The only thing that matters is a championship. Everything else is irrelevant, and Bruschi should know that.

I don't think everything else is irrelevant. Not at all.

The chance to go 19-0 and be considered the greatest single team ever is more relevant than just winning a Super Bowl. It's got alot more pressure attached to it, yes, but it's a bigger reward.

Winning the SB may be the ultimate goal, but when you have a chance to make history, why not go for it? It's like just because the Patriots tried and failed, it means that going 16-0 is some sort of death sentence to your championship aspirations.

Right now, if the Colts win the Super Bowl, they'll just be 1 of 43 random teams that did the exact same thing. If they had the courage to go for 19-0, they could have stood out as something bigger and better.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-28-2009, 12:34 PM
And he can deny this all he wants, but if New England rested the starters against the Giants week 17 and didn't give the Giants pick up a ton of confidence by making them realize they can compete with a 16-0 team at full strength (which also gave them a game to learn about all of New England's weaknesses and how to attack them), and entered the playoffs 15-1 instead of 16-0, they would have won every playoff game by multiple possessions. I'm not saying they were wrong to go for 19-0, just saying that doing so probably cost them a superbowl.

monosylab1k
12-28-2009, 12:37 PM
And he can deny this all he wants, but if New England rested the starters against the Giants week 17 and didn't give the Giants pick up a ton of confidence by making them realize they can compete with a 16-0 team at full strength (which also gave them a game to learn about all of New England's weaknesses and how to attack them), and entered the playoffs 15-1 instead of 16-0, they would have won every playoff game by multiple possessions. I'm not saying they were wrong to go for 19-0, just saying that doing so probably cost them a superbowl.

That didn't have shit to do with it. If anything, with a 15-1 record there might have been a hangover due to the loss, meaning they might have lost to San Diego in the AFC Championship.

monosylab1k
12-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Resting starters in Week 17 wasn't going to prevent Brady from getting his ankle fucked up against the Chargers. It wasn't going to prevent the Patriots O-Line from getting raped by Justin Tuck. It wasn't going to prevent the single most incredible/fluke play in football history from happening.

Another misconception is that it gave the Giants some sort of confidence from almost winning in Week 17. The Giants were already rolling for a good 2-3 weeks before that game.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-28-2009, 12:39 PM
That didn't have shit to do with it. If anything, with a 15-1 record there might have been a hangover due to the loss, meaning they might have lost to San Diego in the AFC Championship.

Difference of opinions. I'm not necessarily saying they would have been a better playoff team at 15-1, moreso that them going full force against the Giants and almost losing week 17 gave the Giants some sort of unbeatable swagger. If I were Belichick I would have done the same thing, no one knew the Giants would become an unstoppable force because they ALMOST stopped New England from 16-0.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Another misconception is that it gave the Giants some sort of confidence from almost winning in Week 17. The Giants were already rolling for a good 2-3 weeks before that game.

I wouldn't call it "rolling", they were 3-2 in the 5 weeks leading up to that game. You can't deny that that game gave them confidence.

J.T.
12-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Bruschi can go fuck himself. There was a sick part of me these last few weeks that was really praying for the Colts to just lose one game somewhere along the line to take the pressure off them. Now that it's happened I feel a little better.

19-0 would've been cool but the Colts losses to the Chargers the last two years has clearly been due to injury, and obviously they don't want that to happen again. I support throwing in the towel this game if it means skull fucking San Diego somewhere down the line.

IronMexican
12-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Bruschi can go fuck himself. There was a sick part of me these last few weeks that was really praying for the Colts to just lose one game somewhere along the line to take the pressure off them. Now that it's happened I feel a little better.

Brah, who was the one saying "I can't wait to see the Colts go 19-0" on XBL?

samikeyp
12-28-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't think everything else is irrelevant. Not at all.

The chance to go 19-0 and be considered the greatest single team ever is more relevant than just winning a Super Bowl. It's got alot more pressure attached to it, yes, but it's a bigger reward.

Winning the SB may be the ultimate goal, but when you have a chance to make history, why not go for it? It's like just because the Patriots tried and failed, it means that going 16-0 is some sort of death sentence to your championship aspirations.

Right now, if the Colts win the Super Bowl, they'll just be 1 of 43 random teams that did the exact same thing. If they had the courage to go for 19-0, they could have stood out as something bigger and better.

I disagree but that is what makes message boards fun. :) You make history by winning a title. We agree on the ultimate goal though. IMO, you have to do what you can to insure as healthy of a team as possible for the playoffs. That is what Indy was doing and if I were in there shoes...I would probably do the same.

Just my .02.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Bruschi can go fuck himself.

Bruschi said he wanted to see the Colts do it. It's not like he's saying it to pick on them.

At this point though, they better win the superbowl for their sake to avoid embarrassment. In New England's case I think going for it hurt them, not sure about the Colts. The media started talking about 19-0 like 3 games into the season with New England and put a huge target on their back, the 19-0 talk with Indy didn't pop up till recently.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-28-2009, 01:05 PM
If anything, with a 15-1 record there might have been a hangover due to the loss, meaning they might have lost to San Diego in the AFC Championship.

Like I said, I wouldn't have rested the starters, this being one of the many reasons. It's conceivable that after all the 16-0 and 19-0 talk not going 16-0 would create tons of disappointment with the sense that they had nothing to play for anymore and they'd feel like their season was over. I'm not one to ever use dumb terms like "the stars were aligned", but it seemed like the week 17 game "aligned the stars" for the Giants to upset New England in the superbowl.

Phillip
12-28-2009, 01:27 PM
lame take

i was watching the game online

you could clearly see that peyton and wayne and the other starters were pissed and wanted to be on the field, but they obviously knew that they accomplished what they needed to accomplish in the regular season (#1 seed) and that the only thing that matters from here is getting that ring.

bostonguy
12-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Now the question is can the Colts break the #1 seed curse???
Last team from either conference to win it all as a #1 seed were the 2004-2005 Patriots.:hat

JMarkJohns
12-28-2009, 02:18 PM
I don't understand this fear of playing things out. I know it's football, so the risk of injury is way up within every additional snap. But how do you not want to be immortal? How do you not want to be the coach of a team that's immortal? What do you learn about your mental toughness, resolve, fortitude from a "calculated" loss?

The Colts are no less likely to lose in the playoffs now than they were when undefeated, just as they are no more likely to win in the Title now than they were when they were undefeated.

Gut check time... everybody is playing for a game/chance that may never come. They now no longer have that rallying cry to gather around and work together towards. Every playoff team is working towards the Super Bowl. Now they are no different. Before, they had extra pressure, sure, but that extra pressure could have hardened them...

I don't know... Being undefeated in the Super Bowl didn't cause the Patriots to lose. They lost to a team playing better that specific night. Brady's injury occurred in the playoffs. Saving Brady the final two/three games of the regular season wouldn't have changed that injury's likelihood of occurrence.

You can't get into the "What if?" game... Just play every game to win it. If, at the end of the season you're in a position to do something truly special like go undefeated, embrace the challenge.

Caldwell bitched out and played things safe. Maybe it works out, or maybe that loss works to pull the rug out fro under their momentum and motivation and they get bounced early. If you haven't tasted defeat, and know you can't lose, maybe you stay a bit more focus and are a bit more in tune.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-28-2009, 02:21 PM
I didn't like how they went about it and I sure as hell didn't like how they set up Painter as the scapegoat.

It didn't make any sense to play them for some meaningless accomplishments and yet yank them for a chance to stay perfect.

And I hope Sanchez throws 10 INTs in the first round because the way they're getting into the playoffs is a complete joke.

Fabbs
12-28-2009, 03:30 PM
It didn't make any sense to play them for some meaningless accomplishments and yet yank them for a chance to stay perfect.

And I hope Sanchez throws 10 INTs in the first round because the way they're getting into the playoffs is a complete joke.
The Jets getting in via the mass substitutions (assuming they do get in next Sunday) is just as big a story imo. Imagine if Philly pulled it's starters in their 27-24 last second victory over the Denver Donkeys. Or the Chargers pulling theirs allowing Tenn to get in. Pattycakes allowing JVille could get in. Etc.

Granted, the Colts earned the right to do whatever they wanted to do with their starters. Its not the same as the Chargers, Pattys, or Eagles leaving their starters in because all three of these teams needed to win to keep seeding, Indy did not. With the Colts subbing tho it allowed the Jets a much easier time, just saying.....

12-28-2009, 03:35 PM
I can't remember a situation where a team might get 2nd and 3rd stringers for two straight weeks and gets into the playoffs because of it.

It's bad for the game.

SpursFanFirst
12-28-2009, 04:08 PM
I agree with everything Bruschi said, except for the part about Peyton being "OK" with the decision to pull him. He sure didn't look ok on the sidelines when he was all over Moore.
The Colts weren't getting physically beat up out there. What happened to Caldwell's stance about playing the players unless they were injured?
Stay out there and win the game...go for the whole enchilada.

I'm with Mono...If the Colts win now, they'll just be another team to take the championship. Not that that wouldn't be great...but at least do something to stand apart from the rest.

But going undefeated aside, playing Painter was a joke...and he looked like it. That was embarrassing. That was the worst part about the game.

samikeyp
12-28-2009, 04:27 PM
but at least do something to stand apart from the rest.

When did that start to and why does that matter? I ask a question and am really not trying to be snarky or cut anyone down..if that comes across as such..my bad. If Indy wins the title...no one is going to look back in 20 years and say "yeah but they could have gone undefeated" If I was a player and I got that big ass ring, that would be all I need. That is like those who said the Spurs title in 03 was less important because they had 8 losses in the playoffs. IMO, what matters is where you stand at the end, not how you get there. Then again, I am a old schooler with a different set of values and ideas....just my .02 :)

SpursFanFirst
12-28-2009, 04:36 PM
When did that start to and why does that matter? I ask a question and am really not trying to be snarky or cut anyone down..if that comes across as such..my bad. If Indy wins the title...no one is going to look back in 20 years and say "yeah but they could have gone undefeated" If I was a player and I got that big ass ring, that would be all I need. That is like those who said the Spurs title in 03 was less important because they had 8 losses in the playoffs. IMO, what matters is where you stand at the end, not how you get there. Then again, I am a old schooler with a different set of values and ideas....just my .02 :)

I hear what you're saying, but personally, I disagree.
Those players looked PISSED to be on the sidelines. There is no way they're feeling good about yesterday's loss today.

I also disagree about not looking back 20 years from now and talking about how they could've gone undefeated. Announcers have a way of dragging things like this back up.

If they go on to win the SB, it'll be like, "YAY! We won...but we could've had the SB and possibly an undefeated season."
It's not as if the Jets won that game straight up playing against the Colts starters. There will always be that "what-if" factor now.

samikeyp
12-28-2009, 04:38 PM
I hear what you're saying, but personally, I disagree.
Those players looked PISSED to be on the sidelines. There is no way they're feeling good about yesterday's loss today.

I also disagree about not looking back 20 years from now and talking about how they could've gone undefeated. Announcers have a way of dragging things like this back up.

If they go on to win the SB, it'll be like, "YAY! We won...but we could've had the SB and possibly an undefeated season."
It's not as if the Jets won that game straight up playing against the Colts starters. There will always be that "what-if" factor now.

I agree they were pissed and if I were one of them, I would be too.

I disagree otherwise. I think if Indy wins the SB...all those players will be happy as hell and not thinking about anything else. I don't know that for certain and not being in that locker room, none of us can be, but that's my opinion.

12-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Just forfeit the games after you've locked up the seed.

Essentially, they've skewed the entire playoff system by playing full-tilt against the Jags and giving the half-assed effort against the Jets. Both games were meaningless.

samikeyp
12-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Just forfeit the games after you've locked up the seed.

Essentially, they've skewed the entire playoff system by playing full-tilt against the Jags and giving the half-assed effort against the Jets. Both games were meaningless.

Even though I understand why Indy did it, I agree with DLF. I don't really have a problem with it but yes, it does have an effect on other teams.

SpursFanFirst
12-28-2009, 05:10 PM
I agree they were pissed and if I were one of them, I would be too.

I disagree otherwise. I think if Indy wins the SB...all those players will be happy as hell and not thinking about anything else. I don't know that for certain and not being in that locker room, none of us can be, but that's my opinion.

We have 2 players that come in weekly for our sports show, and I was told that, off cam, they still gave the company line..."we just do what coach tells us to do" and whatnot. I doubt they will ever express their *real* opinions. I wish I could've been a fly on that locker room wall (or be an insider).

I just have to think they may never be in that position again.
But if they get another shot, say next year, would or will they make the same choices?

samikeyp
12-28-2009, 05:17 PM
We have 2 players that come in weekly for our sports show, and I was told that, off cam, they still gave the company line..."we just do what coach tells us to do" and whatnot. I doubt they will ever express their *real* opinions. I wish I could've been a fly on that locker room wall (or be an insider).

I just have to think they may never be in that position again.
But if they get another shot, say next year, would or will they make the same choices?

An insider position would be fun. :toast

12-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Even though I understand why Indy did it, I agree with DLF. I don't really have a problem with it but yes, it does have an effect on other teams.

I guess I just don't get it. Winning the game isn't important but numbers or streaks being kept alive are?

Does anyone really think that Manning won't start the game next week?

It's a disservice to the fans and gives the NFL a serious credibility issue. And it will only get worse once they go to an 18 game schedule.

Seriously, what's the difference between tanking a game when you've locked up a playoff spot and tanking games to solidify draft position? Should STL pull their starters to guarantee first dibs on Suh? You think the league would sit back and allow STL to do that?

SpursFanFirst
12-28-2009, 05:50 PM
I guess I just don't get it. Winning the game isn't important but numbers or streaks being kept alive are?

Does anyone really think that Manning won't start the game next week?

It's a disservice to the fans and gives the NFL a serious credibility issue. And it will only get worse once they go to an 18 game schedule.

Seriously, what's the difference between tanking a game when you've locked up a playoff spot and tanking games to solidify draft position? Should STL pull their starters to guarantee first dibs on Suh? You think the league would sit back and allow STL to do that?

I was all pissed off just seeing it from a fan's perspective, but you make some very valid points outside of the Colts.

J.T.
12-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Apparently Addai was hurt in the game yesterday. Caldwell looked rather pissed off when talking about it at his news conference today. He likely didn't receive conclusive evidence until around the time when he pulled starters in the third quarter. Garcon was hurt in the Jacksonville game, so that puts the Colts at two injured skill position players who, Manning's greatness aside, will be needed come playoff time.

I wanted 16-0 as much as any other Colts fan but when you have writing on the wall glowing that brightly, you have to go with the decision that makes more sense. It doesn't help that Bill Polian the PR guy (not Bill Polian the draft and personnel genius) has pretty much slapped fans in the face in the aftermath of the game, but it's the truth.

Look at it as the Colts giving up on 16-0 if you want. I certainly don't like the way they went about it, especially because apparently none of the players saw it coming either, but if you've injured two skill position players in consecutive "meaningless" games, then it's probably time to revert to the contingency of resting players for the playoffs.

Yes, it sucks, but the Colts goal is to win a trophy, not a record.

JoeTait75
12-28-2009, 06:24 PM
What's funny is that the Colts have done this at least twice before (in 2005 and '07) yet it's a big deal now. And they were 13-0 at one point in 2005, although IIRC they lost to the Chargers before they started pulling their headliners in games.

AFAIC the issue here isn't the Colts going for/not going for an undefeated season- it's the effect their decisions have on the rest of the playoff race.

IronMexican
12-28-2009, 06:26 PM
They were 9-0 in 2007 before losing to the Pats. But yes, they went through this in 2005

SpursFanFirst
12-28-2009, 06:33 PM
What's funny is that the Colts have done this at least twice before (in 2005 and '07) yet it's a big deal now. And they were 13-0 at one point in 2005, although IIRC they lost to the Chargers before they started pulling their headliners in games.

AFAIC the issue here isn't the Colts going for/not going for an undefeated season- it's the effect their decisions have on the rest of the playoff race.

2 THINGS...
Colts did this before, but it was a different coach. I was hoping for a different philosophy with Caldwell.

And two, the Colts were truly in a position THIS year to achieve the undefeated record + playoffs. I don't know that you can really say that about the past.

JoeTait75
12-28-2009, 06:49 PM
2 THINGS...
Colts did this before, but it was a different coach. I was hoping for a different philosophy with Caldwell.

You'd know better than I would, but I've heard the late-season personnel decisions in terms of playing and sitting guys are ultimately in the hands of Bill Polian.

I do know Indy's decision to sit guys in the 2007 finale against the Titans got a lot of ink in Cleveland. Had the Colts won that game the Browns would have been in the Playoffs.

monosylab1k
12-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Another reason the Colts should have gone for it is because everyone would have been rooting for them.

The 07 Patriots were probably the single most hated team in the history of sports. The media hated them, ESPN really hated them, every non-Patriots fan hated them, every other team in the league hated them. Nobody wanted to see them go 19-0.

These Colts are absolutely beloved by everybody, as the media takes turns chugging on Peyton's dick. Everybody in the media wanted it to happen, most opposing fanbases were hoping for an Undefeated vs. Undefeated Super Bowl. Hell, a coach for a rival team WORE PEYTON MANNING'S DAMN JERSEY earlier this year. There would have been no adversity whatsoever for the Colts to go against. 19-0 could have been a cakewalk as far as their dealings with the media and fans.

SpursFanFirst
12-28-2009, 10:26 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/indy-coach-gm-will-regret-giving-up

A good coach and a smart organization never take the responsibility of winning off the players.

When a team loses, the coaches and executives want the media, fans and players asking the men in uniform to explain the failure.

All the pressure now is on Jim Caldwell and Bill Polian, the architects of the Colts’ one-game losing streak, the masterminds of Indy’s 29-15 loss to the Jets -- the geniuses who pulled Peyton Manning and several other Indianapolis starters early in the third quarter on Sunday.

You never give a competitor an excuse. Even the best ones might take it.

That’s the potentially fatal flaw in Indy’s decision to take a pass on perfection in pursuit of a Super Bowl. Fifty-three players now have an excuse for losing.

Let’s agree that Manning, Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Dallas Clark, Dwight Freeney and most of the Colts' other top-line players won’t take it. The problem is, all it takes is one.

Along the way to winning 14 straight this season, the Colts secured half of those victories in the fourth quarter, winning seven games by four points or less. These Colts were not the 2007 New England Patriots, who reeled off 18 straight victories while playing just four one-possession games.

These Colts reached 14-0 by repeatedly making clutch plays in the closing moments. They stared down adversity and proved to be more mentally tough than their opponent.

So what happens in the fourth quarter now? What happens when the Texans, for instance, jump to a 17-0 lead, or the Jaguars, for instance, take a three-point lead and are driving for a two-possession lead in the fourth quarter?

What happens when playoff adversity strikes? Will all 45 active players remain calm and confident, or will one or two or three players question Caldwell’s leadership and the decision to abandon immortality?

We won’t know until or unless it happens. What we do know is if the Colts lose a playoff game, Caldwell and Polian will face the toughest scrutiny. If Manning tosses five interceptions, the blame falls on Caldwell and Polian. If Wayne drops the game-winning TD pass, the blame falls on Caldwell and Polian. If Indy’s defense surrenders 40 points, the blame falls on Caldwell and Polian.

You don’t give players an out. They’re immature. They’re moody. They’re easily distracted.

Sunday’s loss, the way it happened, is a gigantic distraction. The conversation about the 2009 Colts has been changed. They gave a game to an inferior opponent, allowing the Jets to keep their reasonable playoff hopes alive. Worse, the Colts cheated their fan base, taxpayers who anted a ridiculous sum for the new palace where the Colts play. Those fans wanted to witness and be a part of history.

Most damaging, the Colts backed away from a challenge. They ducked Manny Pacquiao.

You think Bill Belichick, if given the opportunity to slay the Colts in the playoffs, won’t get some emotional mileage out of the Indianapolis Cowards and Peyton Manning being unworthy of the Patriots and Tom Brady’s throne?

“They don’t want it as much as you do!” Belichick will preach. “They’ve always had more talent, but they’ve never had our heart.”

Caldwell, a good coach, and Polian, the league's best GM, made an asinine decision.

Going undefeated has never once stopped a team from reaching the Super Bowl.

“The perfect season has never been one of our goals,” Caldwell claimed after the game. “It’s never been anything we focused on or anything we talked about.”

Knocking boots with Beyonce has never been one of my goals, but if presented the opportunity, you best believe I won’t labor through 20 minutes of foreplay and signal for Curtis Painter to finish the job.
There are stated goals and there are once-in-a-lifetime opportunities only fools pass up. You put Beyonce on your resume and it opens unforeseen doors. Tom Brady is married to Gisele because he dated Bridget Moynahan first.

Caldwell’s players were focused on perfection. They recognized the spoils that go along with an undefeated season. Mercury Morris (4,133 career rushing yards) is a household sports name because the ’72 Dolphins won every game. Don Shula’s 17-0 Dolphins are the most relevant team in the history of the league.

There’s no downside to running the regular-season table. Two teams have done it and both advanced to the Super Bowl. It took the greatest catch and luckiest QB scramble of the decade for the Patriots to lose the Super Bowl vs. the Giants.

What’s the playoff record of one- or two-loss teams? Not as impressive as the ’72 Dolphins or the ’07 Pats.

By losing on Sunday, the Colts actually increased the pressure on their playoff performance. They’ll be under more pressure to reach the Super Bowl than the ’07 Patriots. And if they get to the big game and win it, they’ll be the first world champions to have an asterisk placed by their accomplishment.

Owner Jim Irsay should’ve overruled his general manager and head coach.

So, I had to post this. If for no other reason, the bolded part made me laugh.