PDA

View Full Version : What about TMAC?

deibero
12-28-2009, 02:51 PM
I just read that the Rockets and Mcgrady are parting ways, and theyre even willing to take on non expiring contracts for a right trade...

what about sending them RJ, Bonner and Finley for Tmac, who says no?

i dont think Tmac helps at all, and im not even sure we play him, but at least he expires and we can get back to our 2010 plan with lots of money to sign a big FA...

the rockets get RJ who can help them now and next year...

right now, we know so far that RJ isnt a good fit on this team, and he probably fits best in houston's more up tempo style of play (at least this year)...

we finish this unsecsefull RJ experiment, replace him in the lineup with Mason, give Hairston more PT... i think we have the same chances of winning this year with or without RJ, besides getting rid of that contract...

i kno this isnt happening, but want to know what u guys think?

VBM
12-28-2009, 02:55 PM
We basically give up on this season if we do that...I think the reason behind the RJ deal was to maximize these years, not throw them away...

lefty
12-28-2009, 02:56 PM
WTF close this shitty thread

eyeh8u
12-28-2009, 02:56 PM
the spurs is a basketball organization, not a retirement facility

lefty
12-28-2009, 02:57 PM
How do you explain Finley?

doobs
12-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Call it a season, then.

DaBears
12-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Im all 4 giving the guy another shot.....Its wishfull thinking cause we dont have the money but i'd like to see him in the Silver & Black any day of the week.

TIMMYD!
12-28-2009, 03:13 PM
we basically give up on this season if we do that...i think the reason behind the rj deal was to maximize these years, not throw them away...

+1

SenorSpur
12-28-2009, 03:14 PM
How do you explain Finley?

:lol

DaBears
12-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Is Finley still on the roster..hehe This might be the longest ankle sprain recovery in in league is history... I know the guy is ancient but come on.. I've seen mummies come back to life faster than its taken this guy to come back from a mild ankle sprain..

Oh wait i got it were saving him for the playoff's.. right

Oh, Gee!!
12-28-2009, 03:50 PM
he is an all-star this season after all

FeZZy
12-28-2009, 04:00 PM
I'd do it if it means getting Chris Bosh next year..did you know McGrady has the biggest contract in the NBA this year..that's a lot of money to spend and we can easily replace rj's...10 points with TMAC's...6 points just manu is gotta step up!

VBM
12-28-2009, 04:03 PM
I'd do it if it means getting Chris Bosh next year...

If they thought they could have gotten Bosh, they wouldn't have made the RJ trade to begin with...

lefty
12-28-2009, 04:03 PM
I'd do it if it means getting Chris Bosh next year..did you know McGrady has the biggest contract in the NBA this year..that's a lot of money to spend and we can easily replace rj's...10 points with TMAC's...6 points just manu is gotta step up!
Thanks to Tmac, NBA role players will soon be on strike

deibero
12-28-2009, 04:11 PM
We basically give up on this season if we do that...I think the reason behind the RJ deal was to maximize these years, not throw them away...

you could say that, but as i mentioned, i dont feel that RJ is making or will make a difference in how far we go this season, so it doesnt really make a difference...

you keep your slight chances this season, and open cap space to be a player in the off-season, thats all!

VBM
12-28-2009, 04:14 PM
you keep your slight chances this season, and open cap space to be a player in the off-season, thats all!

Again, the last time we had a ton of cap space, we had Rasho Nesterovic to show for it...you have more faith in our ability to sign a big name free agent than I do, I guess.

12-28-2009, 04:17 PM
if he's bought out, i say do it for whatever money the spurs can throw at him. that's a no brainer.

Mel_13
12-28-2009, 04:25 PM
I just read that the Rockets and Mcgrady are parting ways, and theyre even willing to take on non expiring contracts for a right trade...

i dont think Tmac helps at all, and im not even sure we play him, but at least he expires and we can get back to our 2010 plan with lots of money to sign a big FA...

right now, we know so far that RJ isnt a good fit on this team, and he probably fits best in houston's more up tempo style of play (at least this year)...

we finish this unsecsefull RJ experiment, replace him in the lineup with Mason, give Hairston more PT... i think we have the same chances of winning this year with or without RJ, besides getting rid of that contract...

Houston says no.

They have Ariza and Battier under contract for next season at a combined 13.75M. The last thing Houston needs is another SF making 15.2M next year. If this was their best offer for TMac's giant expiring contract, they would just keep him and keep the payroll flexibility for themselves.

FeZZy
12-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Again, the last time we had a ton of cap space, we had Rasho Nesterovic to show for it...you have more faith in our ability to sign a big name free agent than I do, I guess.

Okay then but obviously we would not be paying for Rasho this time, I think the front office showed there done being conservative and while go after a good player if they have the money...that was the plan anyway?

Luis Scola?
Brandon Haywood?
Marcus Camby?
David Lee?

noob cake
12-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Houston is not your RJ dump; enjoy your 16m/year non-expiring SF.

spurs1990
12-28-2009, 05:06 PM
I would take one year of McGreedy for Jefferson's albatross of a contract.

I'd say TMac can provide as much as RJ as far as this season goes, and if it doesn't work out, sign somebody really good in summer 2010.

Not that this scenario has a snowballs chance anway...

SenorSpur
12-28-2009, 05:14 PM
T-Mac has proven to be legitimate threat in previous years. While he still has his moments, he's clearly out of shape and, considering his injury history, a gradual decline could be next.

The one thing that is certain about him is that he's proven to have been a cancer at every stop he's been. He quit on the Raptors, Magic and now the Rockets. At every stop he's been, his antics and behavior eventually grated on management and teammates. Stay away.

SenorSpur
12-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Is Finley still on the roster..hehe This might be the longest ankle sprain recovery in in league is history... I know the guy is ancient but come on.. I've seen mummies come back to life faster than its taken this guy to come back from a mild ankle sprain..

Oh wait i got it were saving him for the playoff's.. right

I don't care if Finley comes back at all.

Johnny RIngo
12-28-2009, 05:23 PM
you could say that, but as i mentioned, i dont feel that RJ is making or will make a difference in how far we go this season, so it doesnt really make a difference...

Can we stop with the retarded RJ trade proposals? No team is going to be dumb enough to take on his bloated contract. We're stuck with him for the foreseeable future.

VBM
12-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Okay then but obviously we would not be paying for Rasho this time, I think the front office showed there done being conservative and while go after a good player if they have the money...that was the plan anyway?

Luis Scola?
Brandon Haywood?
Marcus Camby?
David Lee?

The only possibility I see there is Haywood. Camby likes LA, Scola is beloved in Houston as much as Gino is in SA, and as for Lee, there'd be a shot, but a ton of other, more attractive suitors from better locations.

Again, if they had any hope of signing a difference maker with cap space, I think they would have held off on trading for RJ...

pad300
12-28-2009, 10:17 PM
TMAC in the summer of 2010. MLE guaranteed for 1 year, 2 more years with mutual options...

Duncan/Blair/Mcdyess/Splitter/?Bonner?/Haislip
RJ/Gino (resigned at $20/3 years, slightly greater than the MLE)/Mcgrady/Hairston
TP/Hill

add 1 a 3ed PG
add 2 more wing players

At least one of these will be a draft pick...

Looks decent to me. Especially if we can find another serious defender at the wing spot.

Danny.Zhu
12-28-2009, 10:29 PM
1. A trade is not possible. I don't want to give up RJ at this stage.

2. If he is brought out, I don't think we have enough money to sign him. Neither will we be the first option for him. He can have the most minutes in Denver I think.

Blackjack
12-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Look, there's no impetus for the Rockets to make a deal with the Spurs. The Spurs have nothing that turns their respectable and admirable team into a contender this year or that is promising enough, at the right position, to help them in the future; not at the level that would entice them, at least.

Again, if they had any hope of signing a difference maker with cap space, I think they would have held off on trading for RJ...

Not necessarily.

The Spurs took advantage of a financial climate that allowed them to acquire a player that wouldn't normally be made available to them; clearing the cap space for '10 gave them the opportunity to strike a year early and prevented them from potentially wasting one of Tim's last, highly-productive years.

If the writing's on the wall come some time after the All-Star break and this team's chemistry and fit isn't quite right, something along the OP's original line isn't out of the question; swallowing ones pride and acknowledging a mistake quickly could prevent you from wasting what just might be Tim's final year of high productivity.

I honestly can't see the Spurs dealing RJ and I don't see a feasible T-Mac (or T-Mac-like) scenario coming to fruition this season. The only way I could see RJ being moved, would be during the offseason after a team is unable to lure one of the marquee free-agents; RJ would be a consolation to a team that got hung out to dry and his contract wouldn't be the albatross it's been viewed, considering he'd only have one-year left.

There's going to come a time, a time in the not-so-distant-future, that the Spurs are going to have to take a long, hard look into the mirror and ask themselves: Does this team honestly have what it takes to win a championship this year? And, if not, is one more year of seasoning the only thing preventing this team from attaining our goals next year?

The dalliance with luxury tax was an acknowledgment of their stars waning years. They knew their championship window was coming to a close and decided to not waste what could be their last years of contender status.

They went all-in with RJ in the hopes he could prevent a wasted year. But if they were given the opportunity to recover their chips and a chance to play their hand in the form of the free-agent class of '10?

Given the departure in philosophy Tim's final years have brought, I can't see why they wouldn't jump at the opportunity to get back in the game.

murpjf88
12-28-2009, 11:06 PM
1. A trade is not possible. I don't want to give up RJ at this stage.

Don't worry, nobody will want him at that price tag either.

SenorSpur
12-29-2009, 12:57 AM
The Rockets know this player better than anyone and they've already decided that his skills are in decline. Therefore, let's all give up this idea of T-Mac to the Spurs.

DaDakota
12-29-2009, 01:17 AM
You guys throw in Spittler and we might talk.

DD

Indazone
12-29-2009, 02:57 AM
I don't think the Rockets are going to trade T-Mac. That huge expiring contract of his is worth a lot to the Rockets.

admiralsnackbar
12-29-2009, 03:30 AM

This is all there is to say on the subject.

TDMVPDPOY
12-29-2009, 04:38 AM
is pop willing to give up finley and bonner?

spursfan1000
12-29-2009, 04:43 AM
This is plain stupid, why would the Rockets trade a guy like Mcgrady to a division rival.

Danny.Zhu
12-29-2009, 05:56 AM
This is plain stupid, why would the Rockets trade a guy like Mcgrady to a division rival.

Agreed. It's not like they are as stupid as we were.

shingo_318
12-29-2009, 06:07 AM
if spurs trade in him,they may not pass 1st round... TMAC is cursed

DaBears
12-29-2009, 11:12 AM

The Alimight Dollar rules over all.. Never forget that.... If SPURS had enough money to throw at KOBE he play for the SPURS, same goes for LBJ, and anyother player you can think of...

$$$$$$$ influences all, and 99.9% of the time is the deciding factor.

howbouthemspurs
12-29-2009, 11:46 AM
that just sounds stupid

spurspokesman
12-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Yes. Stop the geriatric non sense. Mcchina glass makes ginobilli look brick strong. No thanks

spurspokesman
12-29-2009, 12:10 PM
The Rockets know this player better than anyone and they've already decided that his skills are in decline. Therefore, let's all give up this idea of T-Mac to the Spurs.
+1. Funny thing is they want young all star level players for him. Lol

SenorSpur
12-29-2009, 12:34 PM
+1. Funny thing is they want young all star level players for him. Lol

...which automatically eliminates the Spurs. :lol

eric365
12-29-2009, 12:47 PM
...which automatically eliminates the Spurs. :lol

TP and RJ for T-Mac and brooks

Houston would have the young all star (even if TP is not at all-star level this year)
The spurs would have a cheap talented PG and a lot of cap space to rebuild this summer

Dex
12-29-2009, 01:27 PM
I think I'm running out of facepalm pictures.

Wait, here's a new one.

http://www.funnycorner.net/funny-pictures/4796/face-palm.jpg

Blackjack
12-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Wait a minute, are people actually arguing that acquiring T-Mac would give the Spurs a better shot at a title this year?

I just figured people viewed it as a way of biting the bullet on what could be a failed experiment and giving them the opportunity to throw their hat back into the free-agent ring of '10; T-Mac's true value being his expiring contract.

Like I said before, it's not happening, (for a multitude of reasons) but I just assumed the rationale had nothing to do with T-Mac's ability on the court; I should know better than to assume..

Duncan2177
12-29-2009, 01:56 PM

Why would the spurs trade a guy like Scola to a division rival? :rolleyes

VBM
12-29-2009, 02:03 PM

So you're saying Houston owes us one?

Agloco
12-29-2009, 03:06 PM

You start with a supremely stupid suggestion then follow it up with a pearl of wisdom. :rolleyes

Agloco
12-29-2009, 03:09 PM

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Games/Images/apples-and-oranges.jpg

Duncan2177
12-29-2009, 03:42 PM
So you're saying Houston owes us one?

Yea why not?

Manudona
12-30-2009, 02:43 AM
"Yao is out for the season with a foot injury and the team acknowledged Tuesday that it’s trying to deal McGrady, who was unhappy with his playing time as he tried to come back from offseason knee surgery." Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AhGZ8cjQXnZqMRuDG5.o2XC8vLYF?gid=200912 2910&prov=ap)

Even if there is a way to get this clown, why would anyone want his sorry ass?

murpjf88
12-30-2009, 02:48 AM
At this point rj and t-mac would cancel each other out. I can't see t-mac averaging more than 13 ppg. Then their is the unknown factor. At least we know rj is durable. T-mac has been often injured. I wouldn't want to even take a chance.

Blackjack
12-30-2009, 02:56 AM
Actually moving McGrady the hard part (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Actually_moving_McGrady_the_hard_part.html)
Mike Monroe

So Tracy McGrady has been granted an indefinite leave of absence from the Rockets, who insist they will try a little harder now to trade him.

The question most begging an answer: Can there really be an NBA team that wants the league's highest-paid player when history suggests he is little but an enormous drag on any team's ability to compete at a high level?

McGrady on Monday told Yahoo! Sports columnist Marc J. Spears the team that gets him will employ a hungry player.

“I don't care if I go to the damn moon,” he said.

If there were a team on the moon, it would have to be called the Lunar Ticks to want him.

The fact that best defines McGrady is astounding, but undeniable: In the 62-year history of the NBA, he is the only scoring champion who never has won a playoff series.

If you're looking for the most talented underachiever in league history, it is a two-man race: McGrady and Derrick Coleman.

Coleman, remarkably athletic at 6-foot-10 and 270 pounds, could have been one of the most dominant power forwards of all time. Instead, just like McGrady, he was a stats monster who never understood that basketball is a team game played at both ends of the court. But he was on a 76ers team that beat the Hornets in the first round of the 2003 playoffs.

That makes McGrady the NBA's Biggest Loser.

Credit McGrady for working hard this summer to rehabilitate his left knee after microfracture surgery last February.

Then, in keeping with his career-long pattern of believing nothing is more important than his own basketball agenda, he clashed with Rockets head coach Rick Adelman about the schedule for his return. No player has come back, fully healed, from microfracture procedure before a full year of rehab.

McGrady, though, insisted he not wait until February to resume his career. He wanted to play his way back into shape, team be damned.

Adelman's players have overachieved in the absence of Yao Ming and McGrady because they have played hard and smart at both ends of the court.

Throw McGrady in that mix?

Not on Adelman's watch. He refused to befoul the chemistry by adding an element that doesn't comprehend there is no ‘I' in MVP.

Eventually, Adelman agreed to give McGrady seven or eight first-half minutes. The coach promised that as McGrady got closer, physically, to the level that had made him an All-NBA player twice in his first five seasons in Houston, he'd re-evaluate.

After six games, McGrady decided he was ready for more. Adelman disagreed and told the player he couldn't say when he would get more time. Then, McGrady's agent asked the Rockets to trade him.

Makes you wonder: Did the Rockets set a clever trap into which McGrady and his representative just fell?

Adelman and the Rockets likely knew McGrady would demand more than eight minutes sooner than later. They easily could have surmised he would respond to Adelman's denial with typical petulance.

Now, they can tell the McGrady idolaters in Houston they are just trying to comply with his wishes by putting him on leave while trying to find another team to take him off their hands.

Therein lies the rub, of course.

The list of teams willing to take on a known team wrecker who also happens to be the league's highest-paid player can't be long.

It's the NBA, of course, a league that has proven P.T. Barnum a sagacious philosopher on many an occasion.

There's probably at least one Earthbound lunatic of a GM willing to accommodate.

JustinJDW
12-30-2009, 03:13 AM
Fuck T-Mac! Haven't you seen that nigga's contract!?!? FUCK THAT!

raspsa
12-30-2009, 08:13 AM
The SPurs have more than enough scoring ability. TMAC would cost the team too many pieces and set back progress already made. He brings nothing good to the SPurs.

Bender
12-30-2009, 08:16 AM
I didn't read thru this thread, but did anyone see the post-game spurs show last night after the T-wolves game? Richard Oliver got a question from somebody about T-Mac for RJ... and he really blasted into t-mac: "the rest of the team would have to wear haz-mat suits, t-mac is a disease..."

Spursone
12-30-2009, 12:33 PM
HELL TO THE NO!

:wow

vander
12-30-2009, 06:21 PM

they owe us for Scola, there had to have been under the table aspects to that trade, future considerations ;)

problem is, Manu + Fin isn't enough outgoing salary, and if we're going to throw in RJ too, we'd need some good young talent coming back, like Lowry and Ariza, but that's getting pretty silly, teams trading the players they just signed...

I'd love to see us get McGrady for pennies on the dollar, but I just don't see how the salaries would work, it'd have to be a convoluted 5 team trade or something :dizzy