PDA

View Full Version : Every Team's Finest Hour

JoeTait75
12-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Atlanta: Upsetting the Celtics in the Garden in Game 5 of the 1988 ECSF

Boston: Stunning the Lake Show in the Forum in Game 7 of the 1969 Finals; Bill Russell’s last game

Charlotte/New Orleans: Alonzo Mourning’s long jumper to beat the Celtics in Game 4 of the 1993 EC first round and clinch the franchise’s first series victory

Chicago: The Game 5 clincher over the Lake Show in the 1991 Finals

Cleveland: Beating Detroit in Game 6 of the 2007 ECF and hoisting their first-ever conference championship banner.

Dallas: The overtime victory over San Antonio in Game 7 of the 2006 WCSF

Denver: the 124-110 victory over the Mavericks in Game 5 of the 2009 WCSF to send the Nuggets to the West Finals for the first time since 1985

Detroit: The vanquishing of the Lake Show in Game 4 of the 1989 Finals to lock up the franchise’s first title

Golden State: Beating the Bullets in Game 4 of the 1975 Finals to secure the title and the biggest upset in NBA Finals history

Houston: The victory over the Magic in Game 4 of the 1995 Finals and the climax of maybe the most impressive against-the-odds run in NBA postseason history

Indiana: Defeating the Knicks in Game 6 of the 2000 ECF to finally reach the Finals

L.A. Clip Show: Taking out Denver in Game 5 of the 2006 WC First Round to secure the franchise’s first series victory since moving to California in 1978

L.A. Lake Show: Knocking off the Celtics and killing the Garden mystique in Game 6 of the 1985 Finals

Miami: Coming from behind to beat the Mavericks in Game 6 of the 2006 Finals

Milwaukee: Winning the coin flip to secure the services of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in 1969

Minnesota: Kevin Garnett’s 32-point, 21-rebound performance to lead the Wolves past the Kings in Game 7 of the 2004 WCSF

New Jersey: Winning in Boston in Game 6 of the 2002 ECF and securing the franchise’s first Finals berth

New York: Willis Reed unexpectedly starts and sparks the Game 7 triumph over the Lake Show in the 1970 Finals

Orlando: The franchise’s first Finals victory in 2009’s Game 3 over the Lake Show

Philadelphia: Moses Malone leading the way to the sweep completion over the Lake Show in Game 4 of the 1983 Finals

Phoenix: The triple-overtime victory over the Bulls in Game 3 of the 1993 Finals

Portland: Bill Walton’s 20-point, 23-rebound, 8-block, 7-assist masterpiece in the clinching Game 6 win over Philadelphia in the 1977 Finals

San Antonio: Tim Duncan’s monumental performance to beat the Knicks in Game 5 of the 1999 Finals and clinch the franchise’s first title.

Sacramento: Mike Bibby’s game-winner against the Lake Show in Game 5 of the 2002 WCF

Seattle (RIP): Dennis Johnson leads the way to the Finals-clinching victory over the Bullets in Game 5 of the 1979 Finals

Toronto: Vince Carter hanging 50 on the 76ers in Game 3 of the 2001 ECSF

Utah: John Stockton’s 1997 WCF Game 6 three-pointer to sink the Rockets and send the Jazz to the Finals for the first time

Vancouver/Memphis: The franchise’s first-ever appearance in the NBA Playoffs in 2004 against the Spurs

Washington: Securing the franchise’s first and only title with a Game 7 win over the Sonics in Seattle in the 1978 Finals

Venti Quattro
12-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Didn't Philly kill the Celtic mystique by winning a Game 7 at the Garden during the '82 ECF? IMO that should be Philly's finest moment... and also the Celtics. The "BEAT LA" chants were born because of that beat down handed by the Sixers to the C's.

JoeTait75
12-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Didn't Philly kill the Celtic mystique by winning a Game 7 at the Garden during the '82 ECF? IMO that should be Philly's finest moment... and also the Celtics. The "BEAT LA" chants were born because of that beat down handed by the Sixers to the C's.

That's a pretty good point. Game 7 of the '82 ECF was a huge win for the Sixers, especially since they'd blown a 3-1 lead to the Celtics in the '81 ECF and looked to be on the verge of pulling the exact same choke-job. Even their owner counted them out of Game 7 in '82.

Venti Quattro
12-28-2009, 03:38 PM
As for the Lakers, I like Game 4 of the '87 Finals better as the franchise's finest moment. Magic made that shot against all odds.

baseline bum
12-28-2009, 05:18 PM

I thought the Garden mystique was that they had never lost a Finals on their own floor.

Venti Quattro
12-28-2009, 05:20 PM
I thought the Garden mystique was that they had never lost a Finals on their own floor.
I was thinking that it was that they have not lost a Game 7 in their floor before that game with Philly. That night, Philly changed the course of history.

jag
12-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Vancouver/Memphis: The franchise’s first-ever appearance in the NBA Playoffs in 2004 against the Spurs

That's rough.

Findog
12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
That's rough.

The Zombie Sonics and the Bobcats didn't even get a mention.

JamStone
12-28-2009, 06:07 PM
I agree with most of them with only one major difference in opinion, and a possible second change.

I think Denver's finest hour on the basketball court was game 5 in the first round of the the 1994 playoffs, where the 8th seed Nuggets defeated the 1st seed Seattle Supersonics. To me, that is more monumental than last year's playoff run by the Nuggets.

Also, I might consider changing Cleveland's finest hour to the 2003 NBA lottery event where they won the #1 overall draft pick and the chance to take LeBron James, if you also consider franchise events that didn't necessarily take place on the basketball court. That said, game 6 of the 2007 ECF against the Pistons is certainly worthy of mention. In fact, game 5 of that same 2007 ECF where LeBron had that 48 point onslaught where he scored like the last 25 points or whatever it was in that double overtime game might be even more noteworthy than game 6 even though it didn't clinch the series or a Finals appearance. If we're talking about "finest hour," I could see the argument for game 5 over game 6.

JoeTait75
12-28-2009, 06:17 PM
I think Denver's finest hour on the basketball court was game 5 in the first round of the the 1994 playoffs, where the 8th seed Nuggets defeated the 1st seed Seattle Supersonics. To me, that is more monumental than last year's playoff run by the Nuggets.

You're absolutely right on this one, Jam. This should have been the one for Denver.

Also, I might consider changing Cleveland's finest hour to the 2003 NBA lottery event where they won the #1 overall draft pick and the chance to take LeBron James, if you also consider franchise events that didn't necessarily take place on the basketball court.

Very good point. That was the biggest off-court game-changer in franchise history, just ahead of the '86 Draft when we landed Daugherty, Harper and the rights to Mark Price (from Dallas.)

That said, game 6 of the 2007 ECF against the Pistons is certainly worthy of mention. In fact, game 5 of that same 2007 ECF where LeBron had that 48 point onslaught where he scored like the last 25 points or whatever it was in that double overtime game might be even more noteworthy than game 6 even though it didn't clinch the series or a Finals appearance. If we're talking about "finest hour," I could see the argument for game 5 over game 6.

As great as Game 5 was, it would have been moot without winning Game 6. Cleveland sports history is littered with miraculous wins followed by pratfalls (the Browns coming from 10 down with 4:00 to beat the Jets in the AFC Playoffs only to lose on the Drive the following week; the Indians beating the Yankees and Orioles in the '97 AL Playoffs only to lose to the Marlins in the WS.) And the Cavaliers had beaten the Pistons in Game 5 in Detroit the previous season only to lose Games 6 & 7.

Game 6 of the 2007 ECF was probably the city's most significant win since the 1964 NFL Championship Game. That said, the 2003 Lottery should be in this spot.

23LeBronJames23
12-28-2009, 06:25 PM

Seattle (RIP): Dennis Johnson leads the way to the Finals-clinching victory over the Bullets in game 5 of the 1979 Finals.

Findog
12-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Seattle (RIP): Dennis Johnson leads the way to the Finals-clinching victory over the Bullets in game 5 of the 1979 Finals.

JoeTait75
12-28-2009, 06:41 PM

Fin's right. I don't consider the Sonics and Thunder to be the same franchise. The Sonics name and colors are still the property of Seattle IIRC. Any team that moves there will probably end up being the Sonics.

The Bobcats... hell, what's there to mention?

Findog
12-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Fin's right. I don't consider the Sonics and Thunder to be the same franchise. The Sonics name and colors are still the property of Seattle IIRC. Any team that moves there will probably end up being the Sonics.

Legally, the City of Seattle and the franchise that is owned by Clay Bennett agreed to "share" the history of the Sonics, but I don't think the Zombie Sonics are entitled to it. The name and colors stayed in Seattle, and in all likelihood any NBA team that ends up there will take them up.

The NASCAR unis? Gerald Wallace's concussions?

The Gemini Method
12-28-2009, 06:50 PM

Zombie Sonics: Bringing some attention back to the OKC since, well, since Mr. McVeigh and driving home the future of franchise re-locations. If you don't have a stadium that has PSLs or adequate Sky/Luxury boxes, you will lose your team.

Charlotte Bobcats: Swept the eventual '09 NBA Champions...(or, being the first teamed to be owned by an African-American...)

Dex
12-28-2009, 06:52 PM

There was that time they beat the Lakers?

baseline bum
12-28-2009, 08:06 PM
I disagree with a few of these: other than the Nuggets one someone else mentioned, here's some of my picks:

Chicago: 1998 Finals, Game 6

This was such a ridiculous performance from Jordan. He single-handedly carried the Bulls into a pretty improbable victory in the Delta Center with Scottie Pippen playing at 10% max after screwing his back on the opening possession of the game. I mean, no way Chicago wins a game 7 in Utah with Pippen unable to go. The last 41 seconds of this game will forever cement in my mind why Jordan is the GOAT and untouchable:

- John Stockton buries a dagger three with 41 seconds left in the game to give Utah a 3 point lead. Meanwhile, Jordan looks fatigued and his jumpers have been coming up short the last 3 minutes. He's got no legs right now. Bulls call timeout.

- They inbound it to Jordan, he runs right to the basket for a layup, looking more like 1988 Jordan than 1998 Jordan.

- The Jazz walk the ball up the floor and post Malone on the left block. Jordan doesn't follow the cutter, and swipes the ball from Malone when he isn't paying attention. Holy shit, Chicago's actually gonna win this!

- Jordan isos Bryon Russell, crosses him over badly, and gives him a nudge to finish the job as he slips by, and buries the shot to win what looked like a most improbable of titles 30 seconds ago.

The Bulls should not have won that game.

Culburn369
12-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Jordan isos Bryon Russell, crosses him over badly, and gives him a nudge to finish the job as he slips by

- "Thank you, Master, may I have another."

- Jerry Sloan

baseline bum
12-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Detroit: Humiliating the Lakers 4-1 in the greatest upset in Finals history in 2004

No one in hell was picking Detroit to make it to so much as a game 6, much less beat a team whose starting lineup was 80% first ballot hall of famers. Not this team of nobodies in Detroit who were coming off what everyone was calling the worst ECF in NBA history. Not even my friends from Detroit were giving them a chance. The 2004 Finals were supposed to be a coronation; everyone knew the real finals were when Derek Fisher erased the Spurs repeat bid.

But something strange happened.. Tayshaun Prince neutered Kobe Bryant. Chauncey Billups turned Gary Payton out with no vaseline. Karl Malone, before getting hurt, was ridiculously ineffective when trying to match up with Rasheed Wallace. And Shaq by himself wasn't enough. If Hollywood made this movie about the 2004 Pistons, everyone would think is some cornball shit that could never happen in real life. I had to keep pinching myself while asking "is this really happening?" while watching that entire series. They came one shot from sweeping a team that the whole world was convinced would slaughter them a week and a half earlier.

JoeTait75
12-28-2009, 08:20 PM
The Jazz walk the ball up the floor and post Malone on the left block. Jordan doesn't follow the cutter, and swipes the ball from Malone when he isn't paying attention.

Still can't figure out why Utah wasn't running the pick 'n roll in this situation.

EmptyMan
12-28-2009, 08:23 PM
lol mavs

Venti Quattro
12-28-2009, 08:24 PM
There was that time they beat the Lakers?
The Bobcats are like 7-1 against the Lakers in their last 8 encounters. :lmao

baseline bum
12-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Houston: Game 1, 1995 Finals

I don't think people were convinced this team was legit yet, even after beating two 60+ win teams in Utah and San Antonio and taking a game 7 on Phoenix's court. Everyone was picking the up-and-coming Magic who had just humiliated Jordan... and it looked like they were right, as they took a commanding 18 point lead in game 1. Then Kenny Smith drags the Rockets back into it, burying three after three, and forcing OT in a game where it looked like the Rockets were done. The monster comeback is capped off with an offensive rebound and a tip in from the greatest clutch bigman of NBA history, to win one of the 5 greatest games I have ever seen. The second they forced OT you knew the Rockets were taking that series in short order.

baseline bum
12-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Miami: Game 3, 2006 Finals

With 6 minutes left in game 3 Miami is down 13 and looking at an 0-3 hole. No one's even watching this shit anymore: the Heat are the worst team to make the Finals in years and how the hell did the 64-18 Pistons fall to these losers? Then Wade goes apeshit and Gary Payton hits the biggest shot of his career to win the game, and all of a sudden the series has turned on a dime. The Heat are back, and proceed to destroy the Mavericks in game 4 and finally pull out the second greatest Finals upset in the modern era.

Culburn369
12-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Phoenix: O & O!

Dex
12-28-2009, 08:46 PM
The Bobcats are like 7-1 against the Lakers in their last 8 encounters. :lmao

Sounds like San Antonio against the Bucks (at least until this year, it seems).

Good thing you guys will never, ever, ever, ever see the Cats in the Finals. Not in this era anyways.

BadOdor
12-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Sons, someone should open a "Every teams shittest hour" thread.

Dex
12-28-2009, 08:49 PM

San Antonio: 0.4.

Runner up goes to the '95 WCF.

JoeTait75
12-28-2009, 09:10 PM

I wouldn't know where to begin with the Cavaliers:

- Losing their first 15 games as a franchise in 1970-71

- Jim Chones breaking his foot on the eve of the 1976 ECF

- Trading what would become the #1 overall pick (James Worthy) to the Lake Show for Don Ford

- Ted Stepien trading a half-decade's worth of first-round picks for the garbage of the Dallas expansion draft

- Subsequently banned from making any trades without prior permission from the league office

- Losing 24 games in a row spanning the 1981-82 and 1982-83 seasons

- Stepien announcing that he would move the team to Toronto and going so far as to unveil a name (Towers) and a uniform

- The Shot

- The Ron Harper-for-Danny Ferry trade

- Ricky Davis's wrong-way bucket

Matchman
12-28-2009, 09:10 PM
some rockets fans like me would consider this to be the finest hour
OnIy_NhcDFg

lil_penny
12-28-2009, 09:20 PM

to name a few

bowie over jordan
jordan
memorial day miracle
game 7 2000

Venti Quattro
12-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Magic retiring due to AIDS
2004 Finals
131-92

Findog
12-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Hmm...

Derek Harper dribbling out the clock against the Lakers
Dick Motta quitting after the Sonics upset the Mavs in 1987
Roy Tarpley snorting away the Mavs chances of being relevant in the nineties
The partial-birth abortion that was the Quinn Buckner Era
Toni Braxton breaking up a promising team led by the "Three J's"
Don Nelson trading away his entire staring lineup in a snit for Shawn Bradley and Robert Pack
Blowing a 2-0 lead in the 06 Finals
Getting upset by the Warriors in 07

Findog
12-28-2009, 10:14 PM
lol mavs

lol EmptyMan

Culburn369
12-28-2009, 10:18 PM
"The partial-birth abortion that was the Quinn Buckner Era"

Horseshit, ya quit on him.

Findog
12-28-2009, 10:18 PM
"The partial-birth abortion that was the Quinn Buckner Era"

Horseshit, ya quit on him.

Dick Motta won something like 23 more games with that same shit sandwich.

Culburn369
12-28-2009, 10:21 PM
So did the Suns after Nash, Bell, Diaw, et al quit on Porter. Don't make it right.

Findog
12-28-2009, 10:22 PM
So did the Suns after Nash, Bell, Diaw, et al quit on Porter. Don't make it right.

Porter and Buckner were both lousy coaches. It's not right, but players quit on coaches who just don't have "it." See Bulls-Del Negro for a current example.

JoeTait75
12-28-2009, 10:27 PM

It's the coach's job to reach the players, Cully. If they won't play for the coach it's on him.

Culburn369
12-28-2009, 10:43 PM
It's the coach's job to reach the players, Cully. If they won't play for the coach it's on him.

Horseshit. You don't quit on a coachPERIOD

mogrovejo
12-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Nice piece, well done. Do you contribute for a blog or something, JoeTait? You write some good stuff here.

Btw, shouldn't the Miracle of Richfield series vs. the Bullets be the Cleveland's finest moment?

And why are people saying Philly killed the Celtics mystique with that fluke win? Nobody can do that. I was in the Garden for the game 1 of the 2002 playoffs - curiously versus the 76ers, the reigning EC champions -, 7 years after the last playoffs appearance for the Cs, and I remember distinctly the moment Red, Russell, Cousy, Tommy and KC slowly crossed the court together in front of the Philly's bench, staring at them. Everybody in the Garden knew that the series was over right at that moment and that the mystique was well alive.

Findog
12-28-2009, 10:47 PM
And why are people saying Philly killed the Celtics mystique with that fluke win? Nobody can do that. I was in the Garden for the game 1 of the 2002 playoffs - curiously versus the 76ers, the reigning EC champions -, 7 years after the last playoffs appearance for the Cs, and I remember distinctly the moment Red, Russell, Cousy, Tommy and KC slowly crossed the court together in front of the Philly's bench, staring at them. Everybody in the Garden knew that the series was over right at that moment and that the mystique was well alive.

Billy Simmons, is that you?

JoeTait75
12-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Do you contribute for a blog or something, JoeTait? You write some good stuff here.

I do, and thanks for the compliment

Btw, shouldn't the Miracle of Richfield series vs. the Bullets be the Cleveland's finest moment?

It's up there. The old-timers- including my namesake- would probably put it at number-one.

mogrovejo
12-28-2009, 10:50 PM
No, Simmons' a sellout.

JoeTait75
12-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Horseshit. You don't quit on a coachPERIOD

So should Magic have just shut up and played for Paul Westhead, Cully?

mogrovejo
12-28-2009, 10:51 PM
I do

Link?

JoeTait75
12-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Link?

Check your PM.

jag
12-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Billy Simmons, is that you?

:lol

jag
12-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Simmons was all about Duncan > Garnett (career)...

Then Garnett gets one with Boston and you'll never hear that again.

Culburn369
12-28-2009, 10:57 PM
So should Magic have just shut up and played for Paul Westhead, Cully?

Yep.

Findog
12-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Yep.

I bet you were awfully disappointed to find out there was no Santa Claus.

Culburn369
12-29-2009, 01:47 AM
As long as I got my electric football game every Xmas I was happier than a molester at the playground.

Findog
12-29-2009, 02:41 AM
Zombie Sonics: Bringing some attention back to the OKC since, well, since Mr. McVeigh and driving home the future of franchise re-locations. If you don't have a stadium that has PSLs or adequate Sky/Luxury boxes, you will lose your team.

I don't think even that will keep a team from moving. For different reasons the Grizzlies, Bobcats, Bucks and Pacers are rumored candidates to eventually move, and they all play in arenas that are up to Stern-approved standards. I know in the case of Memphis that they supposedly have an iron-clad lease that keeps them there until 2015. Those four teams all play in arenas that are less than 20 years old and come with the luxury boxes and so forth.

The ironic thing about Key Arena is that when they remodeled it from the old Seattle Center Coliseum in the mid-nineties, they did so with an emphasis on making it a great place to watch a game. It had great sight lines with the spectators being right on top of the action, along with it being an extremely LOUD venue to play in with a raucous crowd. It just didn't have the floor space necessary for another remodeling job that incorporates all of the bullshit Stern wants that has nothing to do with basketball...like restaurants, bars, etc.