PDA

View Full Version : Camby This Trade Season’s Biggest Chip

duncan228
12-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Camby This Trade Season’s Biggest Chip (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-cambythistradeseason&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Trade deadline fever is in the air. Can you smell it? Can you feel it? Can you hear it?

This is about that time when, instead of us talking about LeBron non-stop, or even who might win the title, you’ll get a whole new set of names. Get ready for the January/February rumblings, which will prominently feature such names as … Marcus Camby. The crown jewel of this trade season, so sayeth some scribes.

From FanHouse (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/12/28/can-clippers-afford-to-let-camby-go-time-will-tell/):

With an expiring contract that has a salary-cap number of $9.15 million, the Los Angeles Clippers’ big man might be the most coveted player who could be available as the Feb. 18 trade deadline approaches. While some teams would take anyone with such an expiring contract that has vital signs, Camby also can play.

"Everybody in the league would want him,” Clippers coach and general manager Mike Dunleavy said in an interview with FanHouse. "Most teams are trying to give up longer-term contracts for shorter-term contracts, and a lot of times those teams are willing to sacrifice in order to shorten the money. In this case, you wouldn’t be sacrificing. That’s why everybody wants him.”

For the record, Allen Iverson was like that last year, too. But Camby is different: An unobtrusive player, maybe slightly overpaid, but no one who will radically upset your plan. Donald Sterling is unlikely to give up if it offers the incomplete Clips a chance to shore up their roster. For another team, though, it could provide flexibility for this summer without compromising their plans to contend this season.

In fact, it could be the Sheed-in-2004-like acquisition that puts a team over the top, while positioning them to get even stronger the following year. Shoot, I guess this does all come back to 2010 after all.

12-28-2009, 04:14 PM
personally, i think he's overrated. but since he's probably the only solid big available with an expiring contract makes him a highly sought after commodity. demand is high and supply is short so the clippers, hopefully, will get something valuable for the future. the more the clippers hold out, the more contenders will pay.

IronMexican
12-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Sterling would rather have the expiring.

iggypop123
12-28-2009, 04:26 PM
the clips think they are a playoff team. they want to wait to see what they can do with griffin. that said they would only take exprirings and draft pics back. going to be tough

Muser
12-28-2009, 04:28 PM
If they want our scrubs then i'd love him, don't see it happening though.

I. Hustle
12-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Can we trade coach Bud for him?

baseline bum
12-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Cotton Camby sucks. Amazing how Denver's defense all of a sudden became much better when he left and Nene took his minutes.

Venti Quattro
12-28-2009, 05:21 PM
He always gets injured. I doubt any contenders would make a hard chase for him even if he's a good trade bait.

Venti Quattro
12-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Put him on a team that actually has a chance to do something....

like the Spurs :)
Can't do anything if he's always riding the bench

DAF86
12-28-2009, 05:25 PM
If Manu doesn't return to form (or close to it) I think the Spurs would be better off with Camby on their team instead of him.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Cotton Camby sucks. Amazing how Denver's defense all of a sudden became much better when he left and Nene took his minutes.

jag
12-28-2009, 06:04 PM

He's not a good one-on-one defender...he is, however, a solid off the ball/weak side defender. Denver tried to use him as their #1 post defender, this is obviously not a role he's built for. If you stick him with a solid interior (man) defender then i think he'd shine coming from the weak side swatting and changing shots.

DAF86
12-28-2009, 06:09 PM
He's not a good one-on-one defender...he is, however, a solid off the ball/weak side defender. Denver tried to use him as their #1 post defender, this is obviously not a role he's built for. If you stick him with a solid interior (man) defender then i think he'd shine coming from the weak side swatting and changing shots.

Duncan/Camby would be a great duo.

iggypop123
12-28-2009, 06:34 PM
yes camby is overrated but he is light years ahead of bonner and that old center they have. i dont even remember his name!