PDA

View Full Version : kidd to wolves?

ducks
09-16-2004, 11:38 AM
By IAN O'CONNOR
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: September 16, 2004)

The Nets' interest in trading Jason Kidd has moved the Knicks closer to exchanging Kurt Thomas for Wally Szczerbiak, according to several NBA sources.

In a three-way scenario shaped by the Minnesota Timberwolves' desire to land Kidd, the Knicks would send Thomas to the Nets and end up with Minnesota's Szczerbiak and New Jersey's Aaron Williams. The Nets also would land the Timberwolves' Sam Cassell and Ervin Johnson as compensation for shipping out Kidd, who is coming off knee surgery and has $90 million left on the $103 million contract he signed last summer.

Isiah Thomas has little love for Kurt Thomas' game and has coveted Szczerbiak, a Long Island native who has long expressed his desire to play for his hometown team. But even though the pure-shooting Szczerbiak would give the Knicks insurance against Allan Houston's knee problems, Minnesota is the team driving this potential deal.

Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor has charged his GM, Kevin McHale, to acquire Kidd, according to an NBA executive involved in the talks, and the Nets' All-Star point guard has told management he would accept a trade to Minnesota. With Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles jettisoned in the purge ordered by new owner Bruce Ratner, and with the Nets staring at a series of bleak lame-duck seasons in the Meadowlands before moving to Brooklyn, Kidd wants out in the worst way.

"But is anyone willing to take him and the $90 million after knee surgery?" said one NBA executive with knowledge of the talks. "I wouldn't buy a racehorse that couldn't run, even if it was the greatest racehorse of all time."

Minnesota apparently believes a Kidd-Kevin Garnett-Latrell Sprewell combination would win a Western Conference race left wide open by the dismantling of the Lakers. The Timberwolves talked to the Trail Blazers about acquiring Shareef Abdur-Rahim, whom McHale could've traded to the Nets for Kidd (Abdur-Rahim and Nets coach Lawrence Frank have a good relationship stemming from their time together in Vancouver). Portland also talked directly to the Nets about a Kidd-for-Abdur-Rahim exchange, with the Nets inquiring about the Blazers' No. 1 pick, Brooklyn high school star Sebastian Telfair.

But the Blazers aren't sure Kidd would guarantee them a top playoff seed in the West, and right now don't want to pay $180 million (including luxury-tax charges) to find out. That leaves Minnesota to pick up the ball and search for willing trade partners who can make something work with the Nets.

To take on Szczerbiak and Williams, the Knicks would have to rid themselves of another salary in addition to Thomas'. Isiah Thomas is hoping against hope to convince someone to take Moochie Norris or Shandon Anderson off his hands.

"This deal is within the realm of possibility," confirmed an official familiar with Isiah Thomas' thinking. "But when you have this many players and contracts involved, so many things can change."

Note: The Nets waived veteran guard Lucious Harris, one of Kidd's closest friends on the team, but his departure was long anticipated. Harris is believed to have accepted a $1 million buyout of the remaining $2.6 million on his contract.

the winner could be the nets. (considering the fact that they want to get rid of kidd and his contract to reabuild the team)
they would get a very good PG with a comparatively cheap contract (cassell: 2years left/11,5mio), and old but still useful center (for an eastern team) with an expiering contract and a PF to replace k-mart. (kurt thomas is not great, but he isn't that bad either)

a healthy kidd( DUCK COMMENT A BIG IF) along whith KG could be devastating on both ends of the court. but the trade would leave the wolves roster very thin. (but they would also get rid of wally's ridiculous contract)

and the knicks win, because they can add some more dollars to their future payroll, something that seems to be the teams first target.

www.thejournalnews.com/ne...ksweb.html (http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsr...6knicksweb.html)

ducks
09-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Isiah Thomas has little love for Kurt Thomas' game

why did he sign that extention then?

But the Blazers aren't sure Kidd would guarantee them a top playoff seed in the West, and right now don't want to pay $180 million (including luxury-tax charges) to find out. That leaves Minnesota to pick up the ball and search for willing trade partners who can make something work with the Nets

OUCH BLAZER FANS

"But is anyone willing to take him and the $90 million after knee surgery?" said one NBA executive with knowledge of the talks. "I wouldn't buy a racehorse that couldn't run, even if it was the greatest racehorse of all time."

STAY AWAY SPURS

2Cleva
09-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Isiah signed Thomas to the extension to keep him as a tradeable asset and not let him walk for nothing.

Kevin Kaster
09-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Twolves wouldn't need to shed depth, they'd just need to get rid of Wally, send some picks, and add in cash considerations for Kidd. The Nets clearly don't care about anything but shedding their payroll, they know they won't get equal value back for Kidd, and so they'll trade him for what they can get. This actually may end up being a 3-way trade with the Nets, Blazers, and Twolves, involving Kidd, SAR, Wally, picks, cash, and other throw ins (Hudson too possibly).

SickDSM
09-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Three starters for Kidd? rigggghhhhtttt. Notice this is only coming out of NJ, all the other media networks will just rephrase that rumor. Odom, Grant and Butler netted shaq. I don't see why the hell Kidd is somehow worth just as much in Wally, Alien, and EJ. No more trades will probably be done for the wolves. SAR, Marion, Malone etc.. are probably more doable. This was the best team in the west last year and now your already adding scoring studs like troy and wally that you can pull of the bench to go against most teams weak backups.

picnroll
09-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Why in the world does Thomas want Wally? Why in the world does anyone want Wally and his one dimensional game and multi-dimensional contrat?

SequSpur
09-16-2004, 10:01 PM
3 Starters?

More like 3 fucking scrubs. Wally didn't even play, sam cassell has no legs, and the other towel head is a throw in.

I told you all Kidd is good and worth something.

We are still fucking around with Beno, Rasho, Horry and Malik Rose. All of these guys should be packaged.

ducks
09-16-2004, 10:14 PM
let me know if they get three starters for him

any wolves media saying this?

sam made the wolves do what they did last year when hundson was done

dude can kill the spurs

SickDSM
09-16-2004, 10:27 PM
This just in...

Youre stupid

Sam and Earv were the starting center and PG last year. Wally has been a starter most of his career except last year when he was injured. As it stands it looks like he may be the starting SF this year if the roster is set.

Three starters from the team with the best record in the west. How can you not see that? all three of those guys could start on the nets too, wally was an allstar at shooting guard.

The radio was discussing this and saying how it was just a "what-if" rumor. But then they talked about the guy that wrote it and said he was clued in and doesn't do Stephen A Smith type crap. He then said he thought it was a pipedream but said he talked to "someone in the know" and they said it was a lot more realistic than he thought. Normally i wouldn't think much of it as this is the same radiostation that "confirmed" the reports that KG flew to LA to visit with malone but the diffence is that this is Chad Hartman, the son of the most informed writer, Sid Hartman, around, probably one of the most informed even in the country. So if he's the guy "in the know" maybe theres truth to it.

The were discussing that the wolves would deal Sam and Wally, sam would go to NJ and wally to NY and the wolves could get Kurt Thomas and Kidd. More would have to be added from NY though. That was the scenario they were talking about.

SequSpur
09-16-2004, 10:33 PM
This year. Last year is over and you didn't win shit. You see, rings do not come with division wins you dipshit.

How many games did Wally play? Earvin Johnson fucking blows.

Sam Cassell is old and washed up.

Today.

Dude, you want to challenge me? Mofo, they are unloading your sorry ass talent for a fucking broken knee point guard.

That is how shitty your team is. Wake the **** up.

Why the **** are you posting here anyway?

SickDSM
09-16-2004, 10:46 PM
This year. Last year is over and you didn't win shit. You see, rings do not come with division wins you dipshit.

How many games did Wally play? Earvin Johnson fucking blows.

Sam Cassell is old and washed up.

Today.

Dude, you want to challenge me? Mofo, they are unloading your sorry ass talent for a fucking broken knee point guard.

That is how shitty your team is. Wake the **** up.

Why the **** are you posting here anyway?

LOL, i don't have to challenge you. For me to do that i'd have to be beneath you. Youre beneath everyone here. How many threads do you want me to bring up THIS MONTH ALONE that YOU say how great Alien is and how without him the wolves wouldn't have gotten as far as they have without him. So what if he's old and washed up, he was still the best PG in the NBA last year. How many threads should i bring up that say Kidd will heal and will again be the best PG in the NBA? How many times have you said that when even Kori has told some info on how bad the knee is you STILL say he's going to come back and dominate??? I know rings don't come with division titles. Better blow up the spurs team because they didn't win it last year by your logic. Why am i posting here? why the hell are you? Hell, i'm a wolves fan but even I'm a better spurs fan than you are with all your bitching. Go take your pills and go to sleep in a half hour, the demons will be gone by morning.

ducks
09-17-2004, 12:31 AM
sam last year made kidd look like a rookie:next3

KoriEllis
09-17-2004, 01:05 AM
Thorn: Would Be Surprised to Trade Kidd

By TOM CANAVAN
AP Sports Writer

September 16, 2004, 8:03 PM EDT

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New Jersey Nets are not going to trade All-Star point guard Jason Kidd unless they get a deal that makes them a better team, chief executive Rod Thorn said Thursday.

"I would be very, very surprised if Jason Kidd is traded," Thorn said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

Kidd's name has appeared several times in recent days in reported trade talks.

One report had him being shipped to Portland for Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

There was also a reported three-team deal that would have had Kidd traded to Minnesota in a trade involving the Nets and Knicks. New York would have gotten Aaron Williams and Wally Szczerbiak while the Nets would have gotten Kurt Thomas, Sam Cassell and Ervin Johnson.

"I would never say I won't trade any player," Thorn said. "But you are talking about one of the best players in the league. To think we are just going to give him away is foolish. It's mind boggling."

Kidd, who transformed the Nets from an also-ran to a two-time Eastern Conference champion, is upset with the team following the loss of All-Star forward Kenyon Martin.

The Nets were forced to sign and trade Martin to Denver this summer after the Nuggets dangled a free agent offer sheet that would have forced New Jersey to pay Martin $30 million in upfront money this year.

New Jersey also cleared room in its salary cap by trading starting guard Kerry Kittles to the Los Angeles Clippers and waiving veteran backup guard Lucious Harris.

The moves reportedly were made so new team owner Bruce Ratner could cut costs and not be affected by a luxury tax.

Kidd also comes with a big price. He has five years and $90 million left on a contract that he signed in the summer of 2003. He will make $14.8 million this season.

"The only way we would trade any player is if it was a good deal for us," Thorn said. "It has nothing to do with money. This has nothing to do with money."

Kidd, who had surgery on his left knee in July, is on schedule with his rehabilitation, Thorn said.

However, it is uncertain whether he will be ready for the season opener against Shaquille O'Neal and the Miami Heat on Nov. 3.

Kidd missed 15 games last season because of problems with the knee. Nonetheless, he led the NBA with nine triple-doubles and was selected to the All-NBA first-team for the fifth time in his career. He averaged 15.5 points and 9.2 assists in 67 games.

Kidd's struggles in the playoffs were the main reason New Jersey was eliminated in the second round by Detroit, the eventual NBA champs.

exstatic
09-17-2004, 01:48 AM
"The only way we would trade any player is if it was a good deal for us," Thorn said. "It has nothing to do with money. This has nothing to do with money."
cough*bullshit*cough

SequSpur
09-17-2004, 02:18 AM
Sickdsm,

Cassell hasn't played for MANY teams for no reason. Dude, please STFU already.

Wally is overrated, Earvin just plain sucks and Cassell is uhhh... a good shooter and a me player. Hence the perfect player to go on a journey, from team to fucking team.

Kidd is awesome. But your team is trading 3 so called starters, lmao by the way, for a broken down point guard that may never be the same player again. So please, stfu with your starter shit. Because Wally came off the bench and Cassell parked in the handicap spot.

And Earvin Johnson just plain sucks.

SickDSM
09-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Wally and Sam would have started for over 75 percent of NBA teams last year and you know it. Regardless what you think of Sam, Wally, and Earv they were starters or in wally's case would have been if healthy for the team that:
A: had a better reg. season record than the spurs
B: went farther in the playoffs than the spurs
C: had a better chance against the lakers if they had been healthy than the spurs and your choke artist PG

Book it, had Sam, even at age 57, been the starting PG for the Spurs no way in hell does he allow them to lose 4 straight.

:served