PDA

View Full Version : Job Hunting Social Networks

Pages : [1] 2

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Official take a crap on her thread. Go for it. Make her cry. A good cry can never hurt. Yep. This is an official melt down. See y'all in game chat later tonight.

Ignignokt
12-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Rofl!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony Micelli
12-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Ay oh, oh ay...Take a job cleaning a rich lady's house. That's what I did and it worked out well for me and Samanthuhhhh.

Johnson
12-29-2009, 02:40 PM
you could put an ad out on craigslist for personal services, and make some money.

thispego
12-29-2009, 02:47 PM
ashbeigh loooooooves talking about her joblessness

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 02:51 PM
ashbeigh loooooooves talking about her joblessness

at least I'm not whining.

thispego
12-29-2009, 02:53 PM
I promise you you are wasting your time with those job search social network sites. You need to get out from behind your computer and put your face out there with your resume

Leetonidas
12-29-2009, 02:55 PM
I promise you you are wasting your time with those job search social network sites. You need to get out from behind your computer and put your face out there with your resume

:tu

averageusaconsumer
12-29-2009, 02:59 PM
You need to get out from behind your computer and put your face out there with your resume

This face? :wow

http://spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=2511&dateline=1237071876&type=profile

thispego
12-29-2009, 03:01 PM
:lmao :lmao :rollin

thispego
12-29-2009, 03:02 PM
more like those byoobs :wow

put your boobs out there with your resume ashbeeigh

Cyrano
12-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Sure, put that face out there. Just get rid of that cat-shaped hairy mole on your nose.

RGMCSE
12-29-2009, 04:51 PM
I've been lurking here for a while and even I'm starting to wonder about how dedicated your job search is. When I quit or lose a job, I get really fucking motivated to find my next one. The longest I've been unemployed is a little over a month. Right about the time I start to feel less of a man. I don't mean to be critical, especially during these times. But, how motivated are you?

Rob

CosmicCowboy
12-29-2009, 04:53 PM
I haven't found any jobs from it, but did find someone I graduated from college with on there and he's a big contributor.

:lmao

"Naa Mom and Dad...I still don't have a job but I'm a BIG contributor on this jobless internet site..."

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 05:10 PM
I've been lurking here for a while and even I'm starting to wonder about how dedicated your job search is. When I quit or lose a job, I get really fucking motivated to find my next one. The longest I've been unemployed is a little over a month. Right about the time I start to feel less of a man. I don't mean to be critical, especially during these times. But, how motivated are you?

Rob

Just a brief snipit of an article from CNN. I'm going for about 35,000.

9. Be realistic

"Get real about the time it will take to find a new job," O'Donnell asserts. "In this current job market, I tell clients to expect it to take at least three months to find a job that pays $40,000. Add one month for every $10,000 more you want in salary. In other words, if you are looking for $80,000 a year, expect it to take at least seven months to find a new job."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/worklife/09/29/cb.job.searching.recession/index.html

Good for you. You must have a stellar network or must blow someone to get in front of the line in the job interview. I'm not playing dirty and definitely not going to flash any my boobs to get ahead in the game.

Read this (http://ashute.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/the-dream-job-versus-the-job/) to see how I feel about finding a job within a month. I'm sick of people saying I should have one by now.

I. Hustle
12-29-2009, 05:16 PM
I think it's retarded when people who are making $0 turn down jobs because they don't pay enough. I mean damn take a job that pays SOMETHING right now while you look for that job that takes 4 months to find.

I work with an idiot whose husband stays at home all day because he thinks he is worth 40K a year at least. So staying at home and watching tv, playing video games, and doing jack shit is better than taking a job that pays 20-25k a year until you find something better? This dumb bitch gripes and moans and lets everyone know how poor she is but she supports her husbands decision to be a bum.

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 05:19 PM
I think it's retarded when people who are making $0 turn down jobs because they don't pay enough. I mean damn take a job that pays SOMETHING right now while you look for that job that takes 4 months to find.

I work with an idiot whose husband stays at home all day because he thinks he is worth 40K a year at least. So staying at home and watching tv, playing video games, and doing jack shit is better than taking a job that pays 20-25k a year until you find something better? This dumb bitch gripes and moans and lets everyone know how poor she is but she supports her husbands decision to be a bum.

Didn't you start a thread on that before? I remember this.

RGMCSE
12-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Just a brief snipit of an article from CNN. I'm going for about 35,000.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/worklife/09/29/cb.job.searching.recession/index.html

Good for you. You must have a stellar network or must blow someone to get in front of the line in the job interview. I'm not playing dirty and definitely not going to flash any my boobs to get ahead in the game.

Read this (http://ashute.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/the-dream-job-versus-the-job/) to see how I feel about finding a job within a month. I'm sick of people saying I should have one by now.

I think you need to look within your self and hit the pavement and force the issue. Frankly, your only hurting yourself by not accepting some shitty job in the mean time. When a prospect employer asks you " what the fuck have you been doing for the last 3-6 months?" what are you going to say? That you've been a lazy fuck searching for jobs on social networks? Or are you going to tell them that you busted your ass waiting tables to make ends while you searched for a better job? Guess which answer that prospect employer is going to admire and covet more?

By the way, no need to blow anyone here. I got a job bitch! I know what the fuck I'm doing.

Rob

I. Hustle
12-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Didn't you start a thread on that before? I remember this.

Yeah the dude still isn't working. Here is what aggravates me even more. The place they were renting was forclosed on and the bank took it over. This happened about 6 months ago and they are still living in the house. The bank has not asked them for a dime or attempted to evict them. So for that time they have been living rent free BUT she continues to get calls from creditors because she is behind on payments. They have a PS3 and Guitar Hero and a bunch of other games but then turns and complains on how her kids don't have winter clothes! I HATE THIS BITCH!

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 05:31 PM
I think you need to look within your self and hit the pavement and force the issue. Frankly, your only hurting yourself by not accepting some shitty job in the mean time. When a prospect employer asks you " what the fuck have you been doing for the last 3-6 months?" what are you going to say? That you've been a lazy fuck searching for jobs on social networks? Or are you going to tell them that you busted your ass waiting tables to make ends while you searched for a better job? Guess which answer that prospect employer is going to admire and covet more?

By the way, no need to blow anyone here. I got a job bitch! I know what the fuck I'm doing.

Rob

Actually, I do have a freelance writing job as well. Bet you didn't know that. So, I'm not a complete lazy fuck.

RGMCSE
12-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Actually, I do have a freelance writing job as well. Bet you didn't know that. So, I'm not a complete lazy fuck.

Well then. I guess good luck either way.

Rob

I. Hustle
12-29-2009, 05:34 PM
writer = lazy

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah the dude still isn't working. Here is what aggravates me even more. The place they were renting was forclosed on and the bank took it over. This happened about 6 months ago and they are still living in the house. The bank has not asked them for a dime or attempted to evict them. So for that time they have been living rent free BUT she continues to get calls from creditors because she is behind on payments. They have a PS3 and Guitar Hero and a bunch of other games but then turns and complains on how her kids don't have winter clothes! I HATE THIS BITCH!

If this was my situation it would be different. I would take a different job that isn't the "one." But, I know most of you know I still live with my parents and they're great people. So, this isn't the situation (and you all have already berated me for this so shut the fuck up). I wouldn't say, hate, for this family, but their priorities are not in the right place, that's for sure.

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 05:36 PM
writer = lazy

Did you know Kori is a writer as well? Is she lazy? I think she's a pretty cool chick.

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Well then. I guess good luck either way.

Rob

point ashbeeigh.

RGMCSE
12-29-2009, 05:41 PM
point ashbeeigh.

Oh is this what your about? Congrats, you really put it on me.

Rob

koriwhat
12-29-2009, 05:45 PM
haha this is hilarious... i'm in a shitty situation right now with my job but i am looking for a new one and putting up with the bs in the meantime. it is what it is and it's the way it has to be for now.

I. Hustle
12-29-2009, 05:48 PM
haha this is hilarious... i'm in a shitty situation right now with my job but i am looking for a new one and putting up with the bs in the meantime. it is what it is and it's the way it has to be for now.

I still think you are a dumbass and I am going to beat you 3 ways to Sunday but good for you for sticking it out and not just running out like a bitch because you didn't get your way or because the work sucks.

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 05:49 PM
I still think you are a dumbass and I am going to beat you 3 ways to Sunday but good for you for sticking it out and not just running out like a bitch because you didn't get your way or because the work sucks.

Keep your shit talking (or lack there of) to your I.Pussy and koriduhh fight to the death thread please.

koriwhat
12-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Keep your shit talking (or lack there of) to your I.Pussy and koriduhh fight to the death thread please.

i wasn't going to stoop to calling you names but... bitch please.

btw my stepfather always says, "you gotta make it a job to look for a job. anything less is just being lazy!"

I. Hustle
12-29-2009, 05:59 PM

I don't think what I said was that bad. In fact I complimented him.

ploto
12-29-2009, 06:15 PM
It is always easier to find a job when you have a job. You never know whom you might meet at work.

Given the nature of the work you do, volunteering is also a way to meet someone who knows someone who might give you the inside scoop.

Dr. Gonzo
12-29-2009, 06:18 PM
This thread is funny. Any thread where ashbeeigh gets shit on is funny.

IronMexican
12-29-2009, 06:25 PM
I never realized ash had tits that big :tu

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 06:28 PM
It is always easier to find a job when you have a job. You never know whom you might meet at work.

Given the nature of the work you do, volunteering is also a way to meet someone who knows someone who might give you the inside scoop.

Yep. On my list of things to do in 2010.

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Did you know Kori is a writer as well? Is she lazy? I think she's a pretty cool chick.

still waiting for your answer, Hustle.

RGMCSE
12-29-2009, 07:06 PM
The fact that you still live with your parents answers a lot. If you lived on your own I could guarantee you would've found a job by now. It's too easy to mooch off your parents. But i don't blame you cause your parents are enablers for their little angle I'm sure.

Rob

CosmicCowboy
12-29-2009, 07:09 PM

http://www.dealbreaker.com/images/entries/LloydBentsen.jpg

I've served in Spurstalk with Kori Ellis. Kori Ellis is a friend of mine. I know Kori Ellis, and YOU missy are no Kori Ellis!

I. Hustle
12-29-2009, 07:13 PM

lol @ hiding behind Kori.

Kori hustles though. You get your grind on and make Kori money and I'll shut my trap.

Ginofan
12-29-2009, 07:19 PM
I truly don't understand how someone can NOT have a job. I've been working since the day I turned 16, I've got bills out the wazoo and I like to live comfortably...I just don't get all these dead beats (not you Ash, just in general) who are out of work for months and months. Then they decide they've got some type of disability and file for social security at the age of 20. Seriously, wtf is wrong with people?!

On the other hand...if my parents allowed me to live with them and provide for me I would milk that for all that's worth!

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 07:19 PM
The fact that you still live with your parents answers a lot. If you lived on your own I could guarantee you would've found a job by now. It's too easy to mooch off your parents. But i don't blame you cause your parents are enablers for their little angle I'm sure.

Rob

:rolleyes and spell check before hitting send.

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 07:22 PM
I just don't get all these dead beats (not you Ash, just in general) who are out of work for months and months. Then they decide they've got some type of disability and file for social security at the age of 20. Seriously, wtf is wrong with people?!

I saw this all the time at ACORN. People would come to me and say, "pero, mees, I'm waiting for my desabilattty. Thaz why I'm beehind." Please. Cry me a river.

RGMCSE
12-29-2009, 07:28 PM
:rolleyes and spell check before hitting send.

Ahh spell check smack! For those who can't retort with shit!

Rob

katyon6th
12-29-2009, 07:45 PM
One of the questions I ask every candidate I meet with who is actively seeking employment is: What are you doing in your job search to help you find employment? 8 out of 10 answer with "searching job boards, sending out my resume, applying online". 80% of the unemployed are doing exactly what you're doing and where has that left them? Still unemployed. I think it's great you're branching out and trying to be somewhat creative in your search by joining these social networking sites but honestly, you're wasting your time. Why not join a networking group that actually meets face to face? Get yourself out there. Fucking sell yourself.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-29-2009, 07:53 PM
I know a girl who was making $18,000 per for the first four years out of college. She hated it, but continued working hard and eventually made some connections that landed her a job in the pharmaceutical industry. She kept working hard at her new job and just got promoted, again.

She now banks close to 200K and runs most of the Midwest for this pharmaceutical company. She just turned 34.

But hey, good luck on waiting for that "dream" job.

mexicanjunior
12-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Man, this is a dog pile of the highest order... :lol

I. Hustle
12-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Get yourself out there. Fucking sell yourself.

Quote of the day

PM5K
12-29-2009, 08:40 PM
One of the questions I ask every candidate I meet with who is actively seeking employment is: What are you doing in your job search to help you find employment? 8 out of 10 answer with "searching job boards, sending out my resume, applying online". 80% of the unemployed are doing exactly what you're doing and where has that left them? Still unemployed. I think it's great you're branching out and trying to be somewhat creative in your search by joining these social networking sites but honestly, you're wasting your time. Why not join a networking group that actually meets face to face? Get yourself out there. Fucking sell yourself.

Shouldn't you be recommending she go to a job placement agency, or whatever they are called?

PM5K
12-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Fucking sell yourself.

I'll take two yobes and some fries, thank you!

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Fuck all of you.

I was passing along the information. It's another thing to add. It's not something I spend 24/7 doing. There are days that I spend 4-5 hours on cover letters, resumes, interviews. Seriously. I wish all of you would just be a bit nicer sometimes (is that even humanly possible for (99.8% of the posters here?).

And other posters have mentioned their employment woes. Have they received the same response as I have? No. So, please, just have some sense of sympathy, empathy, humanity. I understand most of this is internet shit, bs, etc.but tone it down a bit...or spread the love (or hate) a bit.

And again, fuck all of you.

katyon6th
12-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Shouldn't you be recommending she go to a job placement agency, or whatever they are called?

When I told her I've recruited for a handful of non-profits here in town, I figured she'd jump on the opportunity to send me her resume. At the very least. Her loss.

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 08:48 PM

What do you think I'm doing Katy? I'm doing all of that and then some. Networking...I'll start to volunteer in the start of the year, send out 5-8 (at least) resumes every week...get 2-3 interviews every three weeks, follow up, send out thank you notes......and you all still want me to have a job now now now now now now now. All of the interviews I've had have mentioned 30-40 applicants for a 25,000-35,000 non-profit job that was posted on CL.

My God, Spurstalk. You all are like the parent who wants their kid to have the 4.5 GPA, go to UT, go to Med school, have pretty grandchildren and then support them for the rest of their lives. Not everyone can do that. And I know you know that. Because you're a recruiter for heavens sake.

katyon6th
12-29-2009, 09:00 PM
What do you think I'm doing Katy? I'm doing all of that and then some. Networking...I'll start to volunteer in the start of the year, send out 5-8 (at least) resumes every week...get 2-3 interviews every three weeks, follow up, send out thank you notes......and you all still want me to have a job now now now now now now now. All of the interviews I've had have mentioned 30-40 applicants for a 25,000-35,000 non-profit job that was posted on CL.

My God, Spurstalk. You all are like the parent who wants their kid to have the 4.5 GPA, go to UT, go to Med school, have pretty grandchildren and then support them for the rest of their lives. Not everyone can do that. And I know you know that. Because you're a recruiter for heavens sake.

I sympathize with you, I truly do. I meet with multiple people in your situation every day. Your reaction to my post was a bit hasty, though. I was merely pointing out the fact that there's more you could be doing in your job search.

Dr. Gonzo
12-29-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm going to send Katy my resume.

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 09:10 PM
I sympathize with you, I truly do. I meet with multiple people in your situation every day. Your reaction to my post was a bit hasty, though. I was merely pointing out the fact that there's more you could be doing in your job search.

I think the response was more in response to everyone (with your name first...) So I apologize for making it sound as though it was directed only towards you.

Ignignokt
12-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Ashbeeigh forgot one simple rule in life.

and this applies to this job searching social network, and that is;

Misery loves company.

mrsmaalox
12-29-2009, 09:15 PM
I think someone needs to get laid.....

katyon6th
12-29-2009, 09:16 PM
I think the response was more in response to everyone (with your name first...) So I apologize for making it sound as though it was directed only towards you.

Such hostility was not deserved to have my name in front of it. I demand a letter of apology!

PM5K
12-29-2009, 09:18 PM

I'm game.

I. Hustle
12-29-2009, 09:21 PM

Right here

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Such hostility was not deserved to have my name in front of it. I demand a letter of apology!

Sorry, Katy. And check your PMs.

mrsmaalox
12-29-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm game.

Right here

Come on Ash you have 2 takers! I promise you'll feel better in the morning :p:

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Come on Ash you have 2 takers! I promise you'll feel better in the morning :p:

I think crying myself to sleep is a better option than those two!

Viva Las Espuelas
12-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Juggs. Quit feeling sorry for yourself.

marini martini
12-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Ash, you need to get drunk!!!

I. Hustle
12-29-2009, 09:39 PM
I think crying myself to sleep is a better option than those two!

you'll cry afterwards with PM5k

RGMCSE
12-29-2009, 09:44 PM

I have little sympathy for you. I sympathize with the unemployed who do everything in their power to survive. I have no sympathy for some spoiled twit who lives at home with the parents. You have it easy and have resources available to you. But you truly have no ambition. If you did you would be working while searching. It's not unreasonable. A fucking head hunter told you to sack up and stop being lazy!

Rob

Viva Las Espuelas
12-29-2009, 09:48 PM
spoiled twit

nice

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 09:52 PM
I have little sympathy for you. I sympathize with the unemployed who do everything in their power to survive. I have no sympathy for some spoiled twit who lives at home with the parents. You have it easy and have resources available to you. But you truly have no ambition. If you did you would be working while searching. It's not unreasonable. A fucking head hunter told you to sack up and stop being lazy!

Rob

Feel free to come and slend a day with me, ROB. You'll see I am definitely not lazy. 4-5 hours on cover letters, resumes, thank you notes, general follow up, 2-3 hours searching for jobs, 1-2 hours on interviews....that's a 10 hour day right there.

marini martini
12-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Feel free to come and slend a day with me, ROB. You'll see I am definitely not lazy. 4-5 hours on cover letters, resumes, thank you notes, general follow up, 2-3 hours searching for jobs, 1-2 hours on interviews....that's a 10 hour day right there.

Psssssst Ash, fix the slend!!!:lol

I. Hustle
12-29-2009, 09:58 PM
I'll slend a day with you!

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 10:03 PM
fuck me. damnit. kill me right here right now. I saw it while I was typing it. :madrun :bang

Anyone can spend a "work" day with me to see that I am not a "spoiled twit."

RGMCSE
12-29-2009, 10:05 PM

It's a little hard to believe that your putting that much into your search everyday and come out empty. I would venture to say that if your a decent candidate you've been offered jobs but declined. I've been in this scenario. But I usually have a job or multiple opportunities and can take my pick. I'm not trying to brag, I've been fortunate but have also put my self in good positions. I think you would find that interning or volunteering will provide more solid leads and networking options than trying to do all this from the net. Put your self out there and someone will notice you. Anyone can create a quality resume online. But showing your personality and work ethic will take you further.

Rob

MrChug
12-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Fuck all of you.
I wish all of you would just be a bit nicer sometimes (is that even humanly possible for (99.8% of the posters here?). And again, fuck all of you.

No, we can't because we hate your fat ugly senseless ass. But thanks for asking.

RGMCSE
12-29-2009, 10:12 PM
fuck me. damnit. kill me right here right now. I saw it while I was typing it. :madrun :bang

Anyone can spend a "work" day with me to see that I am not a "spoiled twit."

Karma's a bitch right! LOL!!!

Rob

mrsmaalox
12-29-2009, 10:16 PM

Ash I've never job hunted, but looking at your time breakdown, do you think you may have a time management problem? The resume is done right? Just need to keep plenty of copies. The cover letters and thank you notes could be personalized form letters to save time. Unless you are searching for jobs worldwide, are there really 2-3 hours worth of new jobs popping up overnight? I don't think you are doing anything wrong per se, but it's obvious that freeing up some time for pounding the pavement would be helpful. Maybe just get organised enough that the letters and phone work could be limited to one or two days per week.

BlackSwordsMan
12-29-2009, 10:23 PM
lol

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Ash I've never job hunted, but looking at your time breakdown, do you think you may have a time management problem? The resume is done right? Just need to keep plenty of copies. The cover letters and thank you notes could be personalized form letters to save time. Unless you are searching for jobs worldwide, are there really 2-3 hours worth of new jobs popping up overnight? I don't think you are doing anything wrong per se, but it's obvious that freeing up some time for pounding the pavement would be helpful. Maybe just get organised enough that the letters and phone work could be limited to one or two days per week.

That was ballpark. It's probably on the lower end of things. But, it is a "full time job" as most people preach. I'm sure Katy can attest to this, sending out carbon copy cover letters and resumes isn't a good thing. I try my very best to make them as individualized as possible. The resume is usually the same, but for the most part the interviews i have gotten, everyone says they really liked my cover letter. A well thought out, thoughtful put together cover letter could take me about 30-45 minutes. Making sure I hit everything that the job is about, the company is about, etc.

I have to be good to myself, too. Taking a break, socializing, celebrating the things I do have (after all I am a spoiled twit) it is the flippin' holidays....companies don't post jobs on Christmas Day even though it is a Friday.

And, obviously, some people don't get that. Beating myself up (as most of the posters have done today) is just making things worse and it just isn't going to help in the long run. Yes, the job hunt is stressful, but there needs to be a balance.

Ignignokt
12-29-2009, 10:40 PM
I've tried to stay out of this thread as much as possible. specially since this is a problem ashb is going through and it frankly sucks.

But.. why on earth would you post this in the club forum and be surprised people here are gonna get your goat.

You didn't think stating that you're on a social network all day to find jobs would bring any ridicule...

I mean it's not like your hear to partly crave attention?

RGMCSE
12-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Several posters including myself have given you helpful advice. But you haven't acknowledged those.

Rob

tlongII
12-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Linkedin.com is a website you might want to try.

mrsmaalox
12-29-2009, 10:51 PM
That was ballpark. It's probably on the lower end of things. But, it is a "full time job" as most people preach. I'm sure Katy can attest to this, sending out carbon copy cover letters and resumes isn't a good thing. I try my very best to make them as individualized as possible. The resume is usually the same, but for the most part the interviews i have gotten, everyone says they really liked my cover letter. A well thought out, thoughtful put together cover letter could take me about 30-45 minutes. Making sure I hit everything that the job is about, the company is about, etc.

I have to be good to myself, too. Taking a break, socializing, celebrating the things I do have (after all I am a spoiled twit) it is the flippin' holidays....companies don't post jobs on Christmas Day even though it is a Friday.

And, obviously, some people don't get that. Beating myself up (as most of the posters have done today) is just making things worse and it just isn't going to help in the long run. Yes, the job hunt is stressful, but there needs to be a balance.

Like I said, I've never job hunted, so I didn't come in here to pile on you about something I don't know about. And you certainly don't owe anyone here an explanation of your job hunting methods, but when you volunteer it I'm going to offer what I can :lol

I also don't think you should send out carbon copies of anything (do people still do that?) but a good form letter, customized by a free lance writer could save time. I don't understand spending a huge effort on a personal, customized, time absorbing letter when the people who have most admired it have not offered a job! But that's just me.

I agree you need to achieve balance, as it has been apparent the last few weeks that your stress level is off the charts. I just think that maybe a more organized, concise search would free up some time for yourself. And in reference to Katy, it's her job!! Use all the available resources for the best return ;)

CosmicCowboy
12-29-2009, 11:17 PM
It's too bad the POTW Tabulator got laid off and is paying the bills flipping burger patties at Whataburger.

He would be ALL OVER this thread.

CosmicCowboy
12-29-2009, 11:24 PM
http://www.dealbreaker.com/images/entries/LloydBentsen.jpg

I've served in Spurstalk with Kori Ellis. Kori Ellis is a friend of mine. I know Kori Ellis, and YOU missy are no Kori Ellis!

And you should be ashamed that your parents spent all that money for your college education and you didn't get this reference...:p:

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 11:36 PM
It's too bad the POTW Tabulator got laid off and is paying the bills flipping burger patties at Whataburger.

He would be ALL OVER this thread.

Well, that's the only reason I post.

I got the reference. I chose to ignore it, making sure this thread didn't go in to a me versus Kori battle.

CosmicCowboy
12-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Well, that's the only reason I post.

I got the reference. I chose to ignore it, making sure this thread didn't go in to a me versus Kori battle.

OK

explain the reference.

BTW, the original quote had nothing to do with Kori.

CosmicCowboy
12-29-2009, 11:53 PM
LMAO

Suddenly even Google isn't your friend?

Try inserting the name John in the word string and see if that works.

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 11:53 PM
OK

explain the reference.

BTW, the original quote had nothing to do with Kori.

Hang on.

mrsmaalox
12-29-2009, 11:55 PM
It was Rather's story on Bush's National Guard service. No need to call me out on politics. Politics is why I'm in this position anyway.

Sorry, I'm too fast for you!!

ashbeeigh
12-29-2009, 11:58 PM
I wanted to change the title to shit on ashbeeigh. But Kori won't let us cuss in the thread title.

koriwhat
12-29-2009, 11:58 PM
there's no sympathy for someone trying to find a job solely on craigslist just like there's no sympathy for a middle aged man just trying to look at porn and instead gets caught with little naked boys and girls on his desktop.

get out there and fuckin' walk the streets, work the streets or whatever but by all means get out there and work! sitting behind a computer playing on the net(afterall lets not lie anymore... that's what you're doing) is not productive. obviously you haven't figured it out yet so let me tell you how it is; you have yet to find a job online so why not get out there and go business to business looking for that "dream" job instead of just dreaming you got it and deserve it.

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 12:00 AM
I clearly missed the edit but that was a...interesting....:lmao...guess.

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 12:04 AM
there's no sympathy

You wouldn't have sympathy for a dying baby in the middle lane of the 35/281/10 interchange downtown in the middle of rush hour. You're a heartless bastard. Just my opinion though.

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 12:05 AM
OK

another hint

top 5 zinger line ever in a political debate.

clock is ticking.

12-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Hmmm, B does kind of look like the offspring of Dole and Rather.

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 12:15 AM
*ding*ding*ding* we have a winner. 88 debate and Lloyd Bensen bitch slaps Dan Quayle....But why the PM Ash?

koriwhat
12-30-2009, 12:15 AM
You wouldn't have sympathy for a dying baby in the middle lane of the 35/281/10 interchange downtown in the middle of rush hour. You're a heartless bastard. Just my opinion though.

you don't know me one bit girl... you think you do but you don't.

don't get all flustered because the truth hurts sometimes. it sucks to be unemployed or employed(in my situation) but it sucks even worse when you lie to yourself about the way you go about looking for work. craigslist isn't the solution! if it was it would've landed you a position many weeks/months ago. do what you're doing now if you intend to keep it up but remember that looking for a job is a job and getting out there face to face with employers is a better way to landing that job or lead.

i'm not trying to be rude ash, i swear i'm not. i'm basically in the same boat and in the next week or so i am going to go down the list in the phone book, collect business names, get my resume together and go to each of those places i want to work at and hand them my resume face to face. if that don't work i'll just settle for whatever is better than where i'm at now because i am so tired of working for jackshit and getting no extra hours or benefits.

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 12:17 AM
you don't know me one bit girl... you think you do but you don't.

don't get all flustered because the truth hurts sometimes. it sucks to be unemployed or employed(in my situation) but it sucks even worse when you lie to yourself about the way you go about looking for work. craigslist isn't the solution! if it was it would've landed you a position many weeks/months ago. do what you're doing now if you intend to keep it up but remember that looking for a job is a job and getting out there face to face with employers is a better way to landing that job or lead.

You don't know me either. My last two jobs I got off of Craigslist, just FYI.

koriwhat
12-30-2009, 12:19 AM
You don't know me either. My last two jobs I got off of Craigslist, just FYI.

i'm not saying you can't find work off craigslist but solely depending on it is hurting you more than you think. do what you're doing and also add in the occasional trips to some real world businesses and hand them your resume personally.

katyon6th
12-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Ashbeeigh, quite a few posters here are giving you sound advice. Others are just being assholes. You need to ask yourself this, "Am I really doing all I can possibly do to find employment?". If the answer is yes, clearly you need to reassess your efforts.

As others have mentioned, I can't imagine being unemployed for any extended length of time. Even when I was still living with my parents. Spoiled aside, I worked. I just turned 26 in November and the longest I've been unemployed in the last 8 years was a week, maybe longer. That was over three years ago. I know I've been fortunate and I understand that it's tough right now landing that job you so desperately want but with the amount of posts/threads/whatever you write about you being jobless, one would think you actually wanted to work. Remember...one step back, two steps forward.

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Ashbeeigh, quite a few posters here are giving you sound advice. Others are just being assholes. You need to ask yourself this, "Am I really doing all I can possibly do to find employment?". If the answer is yes, clearly you need to reassess your efforts.

As others have mentioned, I can't imagine being unemployed for any extended length of time. Even when I was still living with my parents. Spoiled aside, I worked. I just turned 26 in November and the longest I've been unemployed in the last 8 years was a week, maybe longer. That was over three years ago. I know I've been fortunate and I understand that it's tough right now landing that job you so desperately want but with the amount of posts/threads/whatever you write about you being jobless, one would think you actually wanted to work. Remember...one step back, two steps forward.

:wow we have assholes here?

katyon6th
12-30-2009, 12:24 AM

Clearly.

12-30-2009, 12:28 AM
What if you're just an asshole by nature?

ashbeeigh

Lucky you. And lucky everyone else who has found work within a short period of time. I'm done hearing this "I was out of work for 2 weeks, 1 month, etc." It seriously is not the norm. And I know you know that.

(again directed towards everyone in general) Even if I am going to work at McFuckingDonalds or Target it's probably going to take more than a week.

And to everyone who has given me sound advice, perhaps I'll try to wade through the sarcasm and thank you later.

mrsmaalox

Yes!! And don't you be getting any ideas :nope

katyon6th
12-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Lucky you. And lucky everyone else who has found work within a short period of time. I'm done hearing this "I was out of work for 2 weeks, 1 month, etc." It seriously is not the norm. And I know you know that.

(again directed towards everyone in general) Even if I am going to work at McFuckingDonalds or Target it's probably going to take more than a week.

And to everyone who has given me sound advice, perhaps I'll try to wade through the sarcasm and thank you later.

Are you on unemployment?

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Are you on unemployment?

Indeed. Filed on Day 1.

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 12:33 AM
And are we getting to the point where we say your unemployment should be denied because you are refusing to work?

Because no one has offered me a job.

katyon6th
12-30-2009, 12:34 AM
Indeed. Filed on Day 1.

Have you had any job offers that you've declined?

katyon6th
12-30-2009, 12:34 AM
What jobs are you applying for?

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Yes!! And don't you be getting any ideas :nope

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Thanks for another vote of confidence, though Katy.

katyon6th
12-30-2009, 12:36 AM

You need to stop feeling sorry for yourself. Seriously. WTF does that even mean? I'm trying to help you.

marini martini
12-30-2009, 12:37 AM
Are you on unemployment?

BINGO!!!:tu We have a winner!!!:toast

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 12:38 AM
And are we getting to the point where we say your unemployment should be denied because you are refusing to work?

Because no one has offered me a job.

I get at least 5 calls a day like that.

"Are you hiring?"

"OK...can I get your name?"

It's only 3 calls a week.

Life is good.

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 12:40 AM
And Katy...I'm really not an asshole.

koriwhat
12-30-2009, 12:41 AM
and you think we're doggin' ya. you do a good job of it all by yourself lil' lady.

koriwhat
12-30-2009, 12:41 AM

example #1 and #2

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 12:42 AM
You need to stop feeling sorry for yourself. Seriously. WTF does that even mean? I'm trying to help you.

I understand. And I sent you another PM.

12-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

katyon6th
And Katy...I'm really not an asshole.

Not even a little bit? Who ya foolin'?

ashbeeigh
and you think we're doggin' ya. you do a good job of it all by yourself lil' lady.

Can't a girl have a bad day?

yk_9sEhV3vM

Yes.

katyon6th
12-30-2009, 12:48 AM
Seriously, ashbeeigh. Do you want to work? If you do, call me tomorrow. I'm currently recruiting for a non-profit for contract recruiters for a project starting immediately. If you're concerned about contract work effecting your benefits, don't worry. You can reapply and receive your previous benefits after the project is complete. And although this is a position you probably wouldn't normally think twice about applying for, think about the possibilities it could lead into. I'm just sayin'.

koriwhat
12-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Seriously, ashbeeigh. Do you want to work? If you do, call me tomorrow. I'm currently recruiting for a non-profit for contract recruiters for a project starting immediately. If you're concerned about contract work effecting your benefits, don't worry. You can reapply and receive your previous benefits after the project is complete. And although this is a position you probably wouldn't normally think twice about applying for, think about the possibilities it could lead into. I'm just sayin'.

what job is that? :hat

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 12:54 AM

I'm going to be honest, and everyone can know this. The reason I'm in this situation right now is because of a contract. And a grant. And it being canceled. So, that just makes me a little nervous to begin with. And I took my previous position "thinking of the possibilities" and this is where I am, but that's life. I did send you everything earlier this evening, though. So, take a look at it.

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 12:57 AM
AshB...seriously, I'm doggin you a little but I have a daughter your age that didn't college track and ended up in a typical shit retail job to pay her bills (that probably paid about the same as your acorn gig) ...she got laid off about the same time you did, immediately hooked up with a couple of those "throw a party and sell shit" things just to keep her mind occupied, kept looking hard, and has already done a 100% flip flop into health care at a hospital in Austin making more than your 35K goal but she is a little workaholic that loves those 12 hour shifts...and still doing her "gift" parties on the side...

katyon6th
12-30-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm referencing contract as temporary/project related work.

Sometimes you just have to take a chance and do a crazy dance. H Duff said so herself and look where she is. She's famous!

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 01:02 AM

Sometimes you just have to take a chance and do a crazy dance. H Duff said so herself and look where she is. She's famous!

Yeah, yeah. I understand that. And my previous job was temporary (until the grant contract was over...and I was guaranteed two years of the grant until shit hit the fan 9 months in . That would have given me plenty of time to get experience). So, it just makes me wary thinking that even if it is "temporary" that somehow it could go south within weeks of a month long contract.

And I LOVE that song.

Kori Ellis
12-30-2009, 01:03 AM
:lol @ this thread

I thought early on in this thread Ash linked to her blog post where she said she isn't looking for "any" job that she's holding out for her dream job. So, why did it turn into a pile-on? If she's holding out for a dream job, then a) she shouldn't be whining about not having a job and b) people shouldn't be complaining that she's not taking ANY job...she said she isn't interested in that. She's waiting for her dream job. She has her parents backing her up and no kids to feed, so if she wants to wait on her dream job and peruse jobless online communities all day, who cares.

And :lol @ I. Hustle.

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 01:03 AM
AshB...seriously, I'm doggin you a little but I have a daughter your age that didn't college track and ended up in a typical shit retail job to pay her bills (that probably paid about the same as your acorn gig) ...she got laid off about the same time you did, immediately hooked up with a couple of those "throw a party and sell shit" things just to keep her mind occupied, kept looking hard, and has already done a 100% flip flop into health care at a hospital in Austin making more than your 35K goal but she is a little workaholic that loves those 12 hour shifts...and still doing her "gift" parties on the side...

:elephant Tell her congratulations for me! But, again, that's Austin, right? That's a different market completely.

katyon6th
12-30-2009, 01:04 AM
Do you realize that you take a chance with any job you accept? You live in a right to work state. I can hire you tomorrow and fire you in the same day because I don't like the color nail polish you're wearing.

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 01:05 AM
Do you realize that you take a chance with any job you accept? You live in a right to work state. I can hire you tomorrow and fire you in the same day because I don't like the color nail polish you're wearing.

What? You don't like the clear nail polish I wear? Fine. I'll upgrade to black.

mavs>spurs2
12-30-2009, 01:06 AM

Hi katy I like think you're soooooo dreamy. can you pm me your phone number? :makeout

Dr. Gonzo
12-30-2009, 01:06 AM
This is for ashbeeigh. It should be her new sig.

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/68464-1/Trolled.jpg

katyon6th
12-30-2009, 01:07 AM
Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 01:07 AM
:elephant Tell her congratulations for me! But, again, that's Austin, right? That's a different market completely.

She lives in San Antonio. A job is a job. She slams out 3 12's in a row, sleeps on a couch at my sisters house and is done for the week.

Expand your possibilities.

Kori Ellis
12-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Oh and Ash.. if you actually want to hustle for a job online rather than hitting the streets, do it on LinkedIn. I get job offers there all the time and I don't even look.

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 01:09 AM
:lol @ this thread

I thought early on in this thread Ash linked to her blog post where she said she isn't looking for "any" job that she's holding out for her dream job. So, why did it turn into a pile-on? If she's holding out for a dream job, then a) she shouldn't be whining about not having a job and b) people shouldn't be complaining that she's not taking ANY job...she said she isn't interested in that. She's waiting for her dream job. She has her parents backing her up and no kids to feed, so if she wants to wait on her dream job and peruse jobless online communities all day, who cares.

Obviously they don't think life is worth waiting for the dream job. :rollin

GAYTRAIN
12-30-2009, 01:09 AM
Hi katy I like think you're soooooo dreamy. can you pm me your phone number? :makeout
You know you don't like girls. We were just sword fighting last night, dummy :)

mavs>spurs2
12-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

see, i gave you the attention you so desperately crave, do you have a sense of fulfillment now?

katyon6th
12-30-2009, 01:16 AM
see, i gave you the attention you so desperately crave, do you have a sense of fulfillment now?

Hey, dumbass, I was laughing at Midge. But yeah, thanks for your attention. I'll be able to sleep peacefully tonight.

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 01:17 AM
Oh and Ash.. if you actually want to hustle for a job online rather than hitting the streets, do it on LinkedIn. I get job offers there all the time and I don't even look.

Yeah, but you are Kori.

mavs>spurs2
12-30-2009, 01:17 AM
Hey, dumbass, I was laughing at Midge. But yeah, thanks for your attention. I'll be able to sleep peacefully tonight.

i know how important spurstalk means to you, i wouldn't want you to settle for anything less

Kori Ellis
12-30-2009, 01:21 AM
Yeah, but you are Kori.

I know. :lol I don't expect her to get handed jobs there, but it's a better place to look than a random job hunting social network site.

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 01:21 AM
Yeah, but you are Kori.

I think she's also said she's gotten jobs from twitter too.

Kori Ellis
12-30-2009, 01:22 AM
I think she's also said she's gotten jobs from twitter too.

I got one of my favorite jobs that pays $300 per article on LinkedIn. :)

TDMVPDPOY
12-30-2009, 01:23 AM
ash ever thought about being a surrogate mother? u know those eggs are worth 20k right to those couples who cant have children

hey go sell a organ or something...

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 01:24 AM
I got one of my favorite jobs that pays $300 per article on LinkedIn. :)

Well now, if only I could be as amazing as you! :) And wow, that's a lot!

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 01:24 AM
ash ever thought about being a surrogate mother? u know those eggs are worth 20k right to those couples who cant have children

hey go sell a organ or something...

You are one of the most bizarre posters at Spurstalk.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-30-2009, 01:44 AM
I guess I should update my LinkedIn profile once of these days.

Good luck, Ash.

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Rise and Shine Ashley! You have job hunting to do!

florige
12-30-2009, 09:34 AM

That woman is just stupid. I have a buddy of mine who is sorta the same way. He is 30 y/o and lives with his mom. He has successfully lost two apts in the span of 5 years. Filed for bankruptcy. And has like the worst credit known to man. After he lost his last place he told me that there was NO WAY he would end up back at his moms house. Well he has been there over a year now. Now this is the thing that gets me. If circumstances dictated to me that I HAD to move back home with my mom (ughhhh) you can best believe that I would save every bit of my paychecks to get the hell out of her house as soon as possible. But he will sit around and complain about living back home, but at the same time he will go out and buy "tailored shirts". $80 watches. He has shitsloads of brand new tennis shoes. The top of the line Sprint phone, is NEVER home which means he drives around aimlessly wasting gas just to do it. We had a snowstorm here last week, and instead of staying in the house, this moron is out driving around in two feet of snow going to see a movie. (which btw got stuck in for three hours the moron) But yet he'll say "man I feel so degraded living at my mom's house". I gotta get outta there" If that were me, I would only spend the bare minimum just to get by until I got back on my feet. He also went out and bought a top of the line laptop. But I can maybe sorta see that because of the benefits.

ploto
12-30-2009, 09:50 AM

I have my dream job and it is "temporary." They created the position for me after I did an internship there, and I am still there. My supervisor keeps finding justifications for keeping me on and does not want to lose me. I get no benefits, but I had none before so that is fine by me. The job is so "perfect" that I am willing to forego that for now.

RGMCSE
12-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Here's the trend I'm noticing from this girl.

1. Shuns good advice away. If someone is even a tad bit critical but still offers helpful advice she will overreact to the criticism and ignore the advice.

2. Apparently searching for her dream job on social networking sites. Uhh, how many people have their dream job fall in their fucking laps?

3. Katy's offered her a job point blank and yet ash begrudgingly offered her resume.

You never know what could come out of an opportunity like the one Katy is offering. That is what's maddening about this thread. You really don't want to work. You hide behind the excuse of finding a dream job, not just any job. What a lost fucking cause!

Rob

ploto
12-30-2009, 10:08 AM

Katy posts the notice of a perfectly acceptable job that is open and her response is negative.

Ash, you are getting negative responses because your standards are too high. You have a degree in psychology without a master's and a year or so experience in community work-related fields. If you choose to be ridiculously picky, then you can't complain. Either lower your expectations or realize that it will take you a long time to find a job that fits all your parameters.

I also would add that networking with other people without a job seems pointless, at best, and harmful, at worst. Sitting around whining to each other is not really productive. You want to network with people who have jobs.

Using the internet is fine, but there are tons of sites more fruitful than Craigslist.

I also would add that you really can not expect to come on here, seeming to act as if some jobs are beneath you while you complain about being out of work, and think that no one will respond. The fact that you are collecting unemployment while you have these ridiculous standards adds fuel to the fire.

Sancha
12-30-2009, 10:19 AM
My line of work is always hiring Ash. I don't need a resume I just need some pictures. I will put them on my website and we will go from there. Interested?

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 10:23 AM
My line of work is always hiring Ash. I don't need a resume I just need some pictures. I will put them on my website and we will go from there. Interested?

Tag team!

Glenn Holland
12-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Assbeigh,

There may be an opening at John F. Kennedy High School. I currently teach there but I am thinking of stepping down because I just need more time to concentrate on completing Rowena's Theme.

I. Hustle
12-30-2009, 10:48 AM
And :lol @ I. Hustle.

What did I say/do? About that Kori money? Shit if you don't grind you don't shine.

Are you the Sancha troll?

I. Hustle
12-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Assbeigh,

There may be an opening at John F. Kennedy High School. I currently teach there but I am thinking of stepping down because I just need more time to concentrate on completing Rowena's Theme.

Not me ash! lol

holcs50
12-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Good luck. I guess just be honest with what you want. I got my masters last winter in accounting and had a few government jobs lines up that I was extremely interested in and thought they both were almost a guarantee after going through 3 in depth interviews for each....well neither came thru after long govt application processes. I refused to settle for just any job and decided to start studying again to obtain my CPA-which im now halfway thru with. It's been over a year now since I graduated and still nothing what I'm really looking for has shown up. I don't see a problem holding out for something you really want - if you know what that is - but in the meantime while your searching you should look into making yourself a better candidate, as I figured I'd do by obtaining my CPA. I mean you could go to grad school, learn a new language, volunteer work, etc. I feel ya though, just keep looking, don't get down by negative people and do whatever you feel you gotta do.

tlongII
12-30-2009, 11:04 AM

Using Hillary Duff as inspiration??? C'mon Katy you're better than that!

koriwhat
12-30-2009, 11:07 AM
what's up with people getting BA's in psychology these days? it's like throwing money down the drain. if you don't get a masters in said field or better yet go on to grad school you basically wasted your time. i know a few psych majors who only got their BA and 1 is working at a pawn shop and the others well they aren't fairing much better. the only one i know of that is doing alright by herself got her masters and works in the juvenile sector with trouble teens.

TDMVPDPOY
12-30-2009, 11:15 AM
what's up with people getting BA's in psychology these days? it's like throwing money down the drain. if you don't get a masters in said field or better yet go on to grad school you basically wasted your time. i know a few psych majors who only got their BA and 1 is working at a pawn shop and the others well they aren't fairing much better. the only one i know of that is doing alright by herself got her masters and works in the juvenile sector with trouble teens.

the same shit paying money at uni doing a administration course lol (friend did this) i lol at his ass when you dont even need a degree for that type of office entry jobs....so he got pwned...

holcs50
12-30-2009, 11:19 AM

psych, communication, and at least for University of Arizona (my undergrad)-regional development were all the majors people fell back to when they didn't make the business school ha. I mean at least half my friends wound up doing one of those majors because they wanted to slack and kind of coast thru....all those majors are easy, I had classes in all of them just for gen ed requirements and they're all known as the "easy way out". It's pretty much just to say you have a degree. But lots of degrees are like that anyways, just to say you graduated-most people don't end up doing anything related to their undergrad degree, and now days almost everyone has one. Even grad school now days isn't all that. Masters does help, but I almost think having a good work history is just as or more important to people hiring. I'm glad I got mine but at the same time having valuable work experience in that time would've been great also.

Drachen
12-30-2009, 11:27 AM

Just wanted to let you know that a Masters is Grad school.

Leetonidas
12-30-2009, 11:41 AM
still waiting for your answer, Hustle.

:lmao This topic is hilarious. I'm not gonna read through all of it, but I will comment on this. Don't kid yourself, Kori is a fucking JOURNALIST that operates multiple websites, interviews actual NBA players, and has a big ass house with her husband. She is the owner of this site and it costs tons of money to keep up, she's not just sitting on her ass.

Seriously, you're complaining about a job yet you're on ST all day, constantly replying to this thread. Maybe if you went out in your car, drove around to some places, and applied in person, you could get a job. Or maybe you could try a call center. Either way, like others have said, I have no remorse for someone who sits at home complaining they need a job but refuses to get a lower end one while they look because they're too good for it. :rolleyes

The reason everyone is always on your ass is because you're constantly talking about your unemployment. It's like you're almost asking for it, and you've been without a job for like, what, 3 years now? I assume you had jobs in between then but c'mon, everytime I'm on here it seems you're still jobless. Don't mistake this as me trying to attack you, I'm just trying to lend you some advice. If you're spending 5 hours a day making resumes and cover letters, then you're doing it wrong. Shouldn't you have a resume made already? Do you have to make a new one everyday and it takes 5 hours? You spend 1-2 hours doing interviews everyday yet you still haven't found a job? You spend hours a day making thank you cards for jobs you never got and never will get? That's just a waste of time.

I'm sure you'll find a job eventually like this, but seriously, if you wanna find one sooner and stop coming off like you're too good for a regular job like most people, log off ST and go drive around and put in some apps.

Kori Ellis
12-30-2009, 11:48 AM
The reason everyone is always on your ass is because you're constantly talking about your unemployment. It's like you're almost asking for it, and you've been without a job for like, what, 3 years now?

This made me laugh out loud.

koriwhat
12-30-2009, 12:18 PM

that's good to know. i'm not hip to the college lingo. i always thought grad school was for PHD's but i guess not. :toast

angel_luv
12-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Ash- it doesn't seem like you are really desparate for a job.

You could still be putting out more effort.

You have not, in my opinion, come anywhere close to exhausting your options. That should be encouraging to you and I hope it is.

You could work at Target or the like by day and prepare your resumes/ write your thank you notes on your breaks and at night.
Or you could work an overnight shift at Walmart or the like. That way you would have your days free for interviews and be earning money.

Not everyone gets their big break early in life. You are not going to thrive living on wishful thinking.

I understand wanting that dream job. Believe me I do.

But when it comes to dream jobs, I feel like you need to always keep and eye and ear out for them and send out resumes & go on interviews to that end ( as you are doing), but don't be content to simply wait around for them.

What if your dream job takes five years to materalize and you refuse to work anywhere else during that time.
You will have a huge ugly gap in your resume and miss out on the opportunity to at least generate some sort of income- I.E. You will have absolute nothing to show for those five years.

I recommend that you sign up with a temp agency. You can choose which jobs you take and therefore can easily schedule work around your interviews that come up.
I have a friend who makes very good money and has constant work with the temp agency she works for.
I would be glad to get that info for you.

Sometimes success is found in the most unlikely places. Bo will tell you that he never pictured himself working in an auto shop.

Bo started off working in the pit of the shop which he really disliked. But Bo stuck with it and his good attitude and hard work was rewarded. Bo was recently promoted to assistant manager and is well on his way to getting his own store to manage.

I on the other hand am still working at the mall and deserve to because I have not been diligent to apply elsewhere.
So yes my job situation gets frustrating but apparently it is not so terrible because I am willing to live with it.
How do I know I am willing to live with it? I have made do instead of putting on my work boots and making a new career for myself.
And why haven't I done this?

It is partially because the economy is bad and I make a good income doing what I do.
But it is also because I am very hesistant to start again from the bottom and claw my way back up to where I want to be, which I suspect might be the case with you.

But I would say to you that you might consider taking this opportunity to start again at the beginning and give yourself the chance to work your way up somewhere while you have the benefit of living at home.

Now that I am married, I do not have the same flexibility when it comes to risk taking with my career. I have a husband, our home, and will eventually have children to consider in all my decision making.
I am not complaining about that- my life is blessed- I am just stating the reality of my situation.
Everything I do is first funneled through the thought: "How will this affect those depending on me?", something a single person need not consider.

As a single, and especially one living at home with a supportive ( no pun intended) family, you have the time to start over job wise.
Who knows- maybe in the process of doing so you will create your dream career.

All the best to you. :)

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 12:26 PM
We've already hated on the degree here http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139603

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 12:27 PM
:lol

The nicest person on SpursTalk just jumped on the dog pile.

That's when you REALLY know you suck...:lmao

Sancha
12-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Oh SHNAP! Even AL is piling on Ash! Go AL! Go AL!

tlongII
12-30-2009, 12:33 PM

:lol I wanted to post that too, but didn't want to be an ass about it!

koriwhat
12-30-2009, 12:35 PM
We've already hated on the degree here http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139603

well wtf did you create this thread to begin with?

it's either you raising your sympathy card in disguise, you putting words in our mouths we have yet to say to you or you just not wanting to hear sound advice.

how about this. stop complaining about being jobless and step up your game!

koriwhat
12-30-2009, 12:36 PM

you ass! haha. :)

tlongII
12-30-2009, 12:37 PM
I think Ash should go after her Mrs. degree.

12-30-2009, 12:39 PM

Yeah, I call bullshit on this.

angel_luv
12-30-2009, 12:39 PM

I don't mean to pile on Ash.

It's just that the people who have helped me most in my life are those who have expected more out of me than I thought I was capable of doing at the given time, not those who pitied my plight.

I am all for compassion. But I've found that I usually do a pretty good job of feeling sorry for myself so rarely is more " woe is you" needed in any of my situations. Know what I mean?
When I am stuck, I want someone to help me get out of my rut and onto where I want to be.

I replied to this thread because I believe Ash is capable and will accomplish all she desires to.
Hopefully the good advice in this thread will propel Ash forward and lead to her posting a " I found employment!" thread really soon. :toast

I. Hustle
12-30-2009, 12:41 PM

The nicest person on SpursTalk just jumped on the dog pile.

That's when you REALLY know you suck...:lmao

ploto
12-30-2009, 12:46 PM
I am very hesistant to start again from the bottom and claw my way back up to where I want to be, which I suspect might be the case with you.

My goodness- you people are in your 20's. Do you even have a clue what it really means to start over? Get back to us in 20 years.

I. Hustle
12-30-2009, 12:49 PM
My goodness- you people are in your 20's. Do you even have a clue what it really means to start over? Get back to us in 20 years.

:lol :lmao

They act like they have been working for half their lives and put it all into one field or career. No offense AL but you don't have to claw too far to make it in the mall.

Leetonidas
12-30-2009, 01:18 PM
This made me laugh out loud.

*crosses item off list of things to do before I die*

angel_luv
12-30-2009, 01:24 PM

I think you just underlined my point.

I was trying to show Ash that this is the easiest she will have it in life and so am encouraging her to go for "it" now.

I am not suggesting this is the only time in her life that Ash will have to start over. I am only saying that Ash has an excellent opportunity to do with little in convenience to herself, in comparison to someone older having to do the same thing.

ploto
12-30-2009, 01:29 PM
But she is not even really starting over. She has only just begun.

angel_luv
12-30-2009, 01:33 PM
:lol :lmao

They act like they have been working for half their lives and put it all into one field or career. No offense AL but you don't have to claw too far to make it in the mall.

Believe me. I know my job at the mall is nothing special.

But one of the things that has kept me here is that I have seniority and as such can for the most part dicate the schedule I want to keep.
That sounds like a small thing but with trying to balance two jobs, volunteer at my church, and spend time with my husband who also works a lot of hours-
time is a precious commodity.

Also if it came down to it, I am the best at my job and so would be the very last person let go. That is comforting in this economy.

So even though my salary is nothing special and my job is boring a lot of the time, I have the two reasons above to make me think twice before switching jobs.

Also Bo and I are just starting out and so the fact that we both have steady jobs is a very comforting thing at this point.

angel_luv
12-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Side bar: I really do hate this job sometimes!

The OD of the mall- who is not the manager, is not my supervisor, who is not even in my division of the company- just called my boss to tattle on me because I went ( at most) 20 feet across the way and ordered a soda. I was gone for five minutes top, had locked my booth before leaving, and had it always within my sight.

The OD - called my boss who is at another property to tell her and she just called and reprimanded me. :rolleyes
Apparently the OD does not have enough work to do since he has the time to spy on me.
Creep!

Jesus
12-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Believe me. I know my job at the mall is nothing special.

But one of the things that has kept me here is that I have seniority and as such can for the most part dicate the schedule I want to keep.
That sounds like a small thing but with trying to balance two jobs, volunteer at my church, and spend time with my husband who also works a lot of hours-
time is a precious commodity.

Also if it came down to it, I am the best at my job and so would be the very last person let go. That is comforting in this economy.

So even though my salary is nothing special and my job is boring a lot of the time, I have the two reasons above to make me think twice before switching jobs.

Also Bo and I are just starting out and so the fact that we both have steady jobs is a very comforting thing at this point.

I got your back.

angel_luv
12-30-2009, 01:50 PM
But she is not even really starting over. She has only just begun.

You are right.

I can imagine Ash's frustration though. People go to school and get a degree thinking it will put them ahead of the pack when it comes to getting good employment.

I can see how it would feel like a giant step downward and be very humbling for Ash, who is a college graduate, to accept a job that someone like me who has only one college class under my belt can get.

What I was trying to encourage Ash was to not be afraid to start low on the ladder, but clearly phrased it poorly.

Drachen
12-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Ok, a few things here. First let me get this out of the way: I didn't mean to sound like an ass with the grad/masters thing. I work at a University, its just what I do.

Next, this is in response to the poster who was saying that if she wants to wait for her dream job, has parents who allow her to do this, that it is her perogative and we should leave her alone (paraphrased):
I would generally agree with you on this, except for the fact that her posts are consistantly about her being unemployed, what does she want us to do with that? Secondly, I am currently paying her salary, so you are damned sure that I have a right to complain about it. I have very rarely posted in a thread that AshB started, and have never criticized her until now. I also don't quite understand why there is SUCH venom for her. Its just downright mean. You can bet, however, that I am very critical of her now. She is what <25 years old? She wants her dream job already? You have to work (see WORK) towards your dream job. WTF are parents teaching thier kids these days? I just turned 30, but I feel so far removed from those who are even 5 years younger than me. I don't get it at all.

Next, take the advice of those around here. Get a job while looking. What the hell is wrong with someone who won't do this? Every time I had to search for a job. The VERY FIRST place I went was West. They have a permanent "Now Hiring" sign attached to their building. You know what? I would get hired there, because I had a freakin pulse. I saw people who went to their interview in shorts and a t-shirt get hired. I showed up dressed like I was going to an interview, and the hiring person's jaw dropped and eyes widened. Anyway, I would be hired, they would say training starts in a week and a half (or two or whatever). I knew right then and there that I had x number of weeks to find a job or I would be working at West. Nothing will motivate you to go find a good job like the prospect of having to work at West. I have been hired at west 5 times and found a job the first 4 times before training started. I called them back, and politely declined. The last time, I wasn't able to find a job in time. You know what I did? I worked at West. Yes it sucked, but it was a paycheck (and a relatively good one too). Most of the jobs there pay just over 10-11 dollars an hour. This is not 35k, but it is a decent paycheck. You know what else? I only worked there a month, because I was motivated to find a job, so I didn't have to continue working there, but if I had to, I would have. Oh, and I didn't have any bills except for 200 a month for rent (all bills paid). I had no car, and I rode the bus (another $20 a month). You can get schedules where you work on the weekend, and have two days off in the week (to look for another job). All of this junk that you do and call searching for a job can be done at night. Callbacks and such during lunch.

Finally, there are inconsistencies in your time. You say 1-2 hours a day on interviews, yet you said that you get 2-3 interviews every 3 weeks. How is this possible? Everything that you are doing can be done in the span of about 2 hours a day if you are slow. Also, WTF with complaining about what Katy is offering you? Sure its temp, and sure the same thing can happen again as has already happened. This is, however, how you gain experience. If you do a good job for them, but their funding runs out, I bet Katy will help you again. In the mean time, you met some people, working in the same industry as you and you have their name in your roledex and yours in theirs. You have just made contacts, and as long as you did a good job for them, your name will begin getting out there and you might actually achieve this dream job you are searching for.

I won't agree with 99.9% of things that have been said about you but damn, I do agree that you are acting completely like the definition of a spoiled twit.

Drachen
12-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Sorry that was so long, but damn, this stuff makes my blood boil.

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 02:25 PM
If I remember correctly I think she has already been fired by West.

Drachen
12-30-2009, 02:34 PM

Ok, I didn't see that in here, but maybe you meant in a previous thread. I don't generally read her threads because they usually devolve into some several people lobbing rank insults at her. Still, if you have been fired by West, and have not worked there for 6 mos., you are now eligible for rehire. So, depending on when she was fired she could be reeligible. Also WTF did she do to get fired from West?

Also, that is only one example. There are plenty of similar places around town. It doesn't even have to be a west type place, I worked pressure washing exxons for 8 mos after having 5 years of white collar jobs starting straight outta high school. I am not saying she should go pressure wash, I am saying that everyone keeps talking about starting over, and bottom, etc. Its too late for that, she is unemployed, she is already at the bottom. When you are at the bottom, there is a huge varying selection of what you can do.

JoeChalupa
12-30-2009, 02:42 PM
What is odd is that I've, Thank God, been constantly employed with no college degree at all ever since High School. Most I've ever been out of work is after I got out of the Corps and that was because I wanted to kick back for awhile. Is it too late for me to go to school for say, nursing?
Just this past weekend I was talking to two college grads who are both now truck drivers.

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Ok, I didn't see that in here, but maybe you meant in a previous thread. I don't generally read her threads because they usually devolve into some several people lobbing rank insults at her. Still, if you have been fired by West, and have not worked there for 6 mos., you are now eligible for rehire. So, depending on when she was fired she could be reeligible. Also WTF did she do to get fired from West?

Also, that is only one example. There are plenty of similar places around town. It doesn't even have to be a west type place, I worked pressure washing exxons for 8 mos after having 5 years of white collar jobs starting straight outta high school. I am not saying she should go pressure wash, I am saying that everyone keeps talking about starting over, and bottom, etc. Its too late for that, she is unemployed, she is already at the bottom. When you are at the bottom, there is a huge varying selection of what you can do.

I may have her confused with someone else, but she has been doing these unemployed/under-employed threads since she got out of college. I vaguely remember her posting about working at West, and some issue with her leaving but as I said before, I could have her confused with someone else.

ashbeeigh
12-30-2009, 02:59 PM

West was a very very very amicable split. They actually asked me to stay.

JoeChalupa
12-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I've worked at West before between jobs.

Drachen
12-30-2009, 03:01 PM
What is odd is that I've, Thank God, been constantly employed with no college degree at all ever since High School. Most I've ever been out of work is after I got out of the Corps and that was because I wanted to kick back for awhile. Is it too late for me to go to school for say, nursing?
Just this past weekend I was talking to two college grads who are both now truck drivers.

Never too late to go back to school. I know a student here who is getting her bachelor's in January. She is 72. Nursing is a good field since the demand is definitely there, but just remember that as a nurse you will be dealing with blood, feces, etc. If you dont want that then maybe it isnt right for you. Also at the beginning you won't necessarily have the best shifts and your shifts will always be long. Another thing is that although you start at a high pay rate, your pay will be capped relatively quickly (i.e. not too many raises before you cant get another raise unless you go back to school and become a Nurse practitioner or something). Lastly, you must remember that there is about a 1.5-2 year waiting list to get into Nursing school to be an RN. If you are ok with the above, then do it. Great pay, important, meaningful job, etc.

As far as your friends, they can probably make more money driving a truck than they could with a bachelor's. It would take a Masters and some experience to approach the earning power that a truck driver has. On the other hand being a truck driver has its downsides too.

Sancha
12-30-2009, 03:09 PM
As far as your friends, they can probably make more money driving a truck than they could with a bachelor's. It would take a Masters and some experience to approach the earning power that a truck driver has. On the other hand being a truck driver has its downsides too.

Like having to bang lot lizards or whatever they call them?

Drachen
12-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Nope, like being away from their families, etc.

Drachen
12-30-2009, 04:01 PM
West was a very very very amicable split. They actually asked me to stay.

Good, then you have a job waiting for you.

JoeChalupa
12-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Never too late to go back to school. I know a student here who is getting her bachelor's in January. She is 72. Nursing is a good field since the demand is definitely there, but just remember that as a nurse you will be dealing with blood, feces, etc. If you dont want that then maybe it isnt right for you. Also at the beginning you won't necessarily have the best shifts and your shifts will always be long. Another thing is that although you start at a high pay rate, your pay will be capped relatively quickly (i.e. not too many raises before you cant get another raise unless you go back to school and become a Nurse practitioner or something). Lastly, you must remember that there is about a 1.5-2 year waiting list to get into Nursing school to be an RN. If you are ok with the above, then do it. Great pay, important, meaningful job, etc.

Damn, I didn't know the waiting list was that long. I know quite a few truck drivers and they all don't make that much more than I do. I guess it depends on who you are hauling for.

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 04:11 PM
One of my BIL's is a company driver for Schneider and pulls about 65K.

JoeChalupa
12-30-2009, 04:20 PM
One of my BIL's is a company driver for Schneider and pulls about 65K.

My brother used to drive for Schneider and I don't know if her ever pulled in that kind of money but he did buy a Harley so who knows.
But he was gone from home so much his kids have no discipline at all.
My father wanted me to get into truck driving but I said there was no way I could be away from home that much.

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-30-2009, 04:36 PM
ashbeeigh............you will get a job in the first month of 2010. :toast

I landed myself a part time job which is flexible around my uni studies, plus i have 2 interviews for full time graduate positions and my current boss knows i could be gone at any time. Only a month ago i was thinking id never get a job.

Drachen
12-31-2009, 09:51 AM
My brother used to drive for Schneider and I don't know if her ever pulled in that kind of money but he did buy a Harley so who knows.
But he was gone from home so much his kids have no discipline at all.
My father wanted me to get into truck driving but I said there was no way I could be away from home that much.

This was the kind of money I was talking about. From a few truckers I have spoken with, they all said that they started out in the 55-60 range, and after a few years were pulling 75 or so.

koriwhat
12-31-2009, 11:19 AM
ashbeeigh............you will get a job in the first month of 2010. :toast

"haha this is ms cleo, how can i help ya darlin'?"
"call me now for your fee weedin'!"

j-6
12-31-2009, 11:49 AM
What local societies pertaining to your degree and your school do you belong to? Regional? National?

Have you had a recruiter or a job coach review your resume?

Do you know how to interview properly? What kind of preparation are you doing for taking the first step toward landing said job?

Have you looked at taking something entry level / hourly as a step toward your dream position, since you're staying with your parents?

katyon6th
12-31-2009, 12:19 PM
What local societies pertaining to your degree and your school do you belong to? Regional? National?

Do you know how to interview properly? What kind of preparation are you doing for taking the first step toward landing said job?

Have you looked at taking something entry level / hourly as a step toward your dream position, since you're staying with your parents?

Recruiter Extraordinaire.

RGMCSE
12-31-2009, 01:01 PM

See there's a problem here. She wants her dream job out thin fucking air.

Rob

Drachen
12-31-2009, 01:13 PM

Yeah, if you read through the thread (which is somewhat refreshing to see that some people have a work ethic), you will notice that she is expecting her next hire to be for 35k+, and doing her dream job when all she has is a bachelor's and 9 mos work experience in the field. She doesn't see the value in working at a not so perfect job for money that is more in line of what she is worth while making connections and gaining experience in the industry of her choice. Oh and she also doesn't see the value of not having a huge gaping hole in her work history when she goes in for interviews. She is content with living at her parent's house while sucking down resources (unemployment) and selecting the paper for her resume 8 hours out of the day.

Katy: Honestly, is the most frustrating part about your job the fact that people overvalue themselves? It would seem to me that this would happen often and be frustrating.

katyon6th
12-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah, if you read through the thread (which is somewhat refreshing to see that some people have a work ethic), you will notice that she is expecting her next hire to be for 35k+, and doing her dream job when all she has is a bachelor's and 9 mos work experience in the field. She doesn't see the value in working at a not so perfect job for money that is more in line of what she is worth while making connections and gaining experience in the industry of her choice. Oh and she also doesn't see the value of not having a huge gaping hole in her work history when she goes in for interviews. She is content with living at her parent's house while sucking down resources (unemployment) and selecting the paper for her resume 8 hours out of the day.

Katy: Honestly, is the most frustrating part about your job the fact that people overvalue themselves? It would seem to me that this would happen often and be frustrating.

BA, entry level experience seeking 35K+ in NON-PROFIT??????????? I'm just dumbfounded.

People overvaluing themselves is definitely a frequent occurence in my work and it's absolutely frustrating. Mostly seen with new grads with little to no work experience. Go figure. And most of them get back in touch with me after a couple of months when they still haven't found that dream job.

Drachen
12-31-2009, 02:53 PM
BA, entry level experience seeking 35K+ in NON-PROFIT??????????? I'm just dumbfounded.

People overvaluing themselves is definitely a frequent occurence in my work and it's absolutely frustrating. Mostly seen with new grads with little to no work experience. Go figure. And most of them get back in touch with me after a couple of months when they still haven't found that dream job.

WHAT? so you mean real life isn't as pleasant as mom and dad's house? I went to college!

Look really (for anyone in college or going to go to college), a degree is JUST A TOOL. It is not the end-all be-all of job getting. Certain degrees have FAR more uses than others. Now in order to get a good job, you must have a collection of tools that will allow you to get that job. The whole job search is just a big ol' presentation so that you can sell yourself. When you are selling something, you have to present value. A degree adds value, experience adds value, appearance adds value (don't show up with an unpressed shirt, etc), articulation adds value. The more you are lacking in these (and other) categories, the less value you have, i.e. the "worse" job you will get for lower pay. As you work in this job, you will slowly build at least one of the categories, experience. This will build your value. The more valueable to the company (or any other company), the more money/better job you can demand. Oh, and 9 mos is not enough experience to go around demanding certain things QUITE yet.

j-6
12-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Well, in the non-profit space there's a lot more competition because a lot of the organizations want to hire from within and collegiate experience takes a back seat to internal performance. I know of someone in Houston that volunteered, then came on part time, and now runs their event planning. She's only making 40K but has paid benefits and frankly, that is her dream job. Some place that stays open on donations and grants wants value for their limited budget.

I don't know much about the girl that's looking for work, but I really don't think donating some time at her preferred non-profit and making some contacts would hurt. Especially if she's not working. Being a constant presence where the director knows you on sight and is familiar with your work ethic and qualifications is going to be a lot more effective than rewriting a cover letter.

CosmicCowboy
12-31-2009, 08:48 PM
It's a good thing she has focused on non-profit. If she was actually applying at real businesses for a real job the first thing they would see is "job experience" nine months at "ACORN Housing" and it would be:

*crumple,wad*

*bend the wrist*

*arch the wrist....stroke....SCORE!!!!!*

right into the trash can.

ACORN Housing is just the punch line to SO many jokes.

ploto
12-31-2009, 09:18 PM
I know of someone in Houston that volunteered, then came on part time, and now runs their event planning.

That is a big part of why I suggested volunteering and also the willingness to accept a temporary or part-time job.

JoeChalupa
12-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Only 40K a year?? How much do you all need to earn to make a decent living? I know many who are doing well making less then that.

JoeChalupa
12-31-2009, 09:41 PM
I also know some folks who are making more than 40K a year who are struggling. Go figure.

mogrovejo
12-31-2009, 10:36 PM
I didn't read the entire thread, pardon me if my questions are misplaced; but just out of curiosity, what do you guys mean by "hit the streets" and "put your face out there"? I understand these are metaphors, but exactly for what?

OP, what kind of job hunting social networking are you doing? I'd assume you're on LinkedIn; I'd suggest you to improve your profile and to widen your connections list, especially of first degrees contacts (an exhaustive search of groups whose subject is within your area of interest and joining them shall suffice). Strongly consider to use e-mail contact, and don't hesitate to look for it outside of LinkedIn if it's not available there. If you have done all of these and you've been waiting for job offers for an extended period of time, then you should consider that strengthening your curriculum vitae is a previous requirement to further démarches. Good luck.

florige
12-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Only 40K a year?? How much do you all need to earn to make a decent living? I know many who are doing well making less then that.

40k is okay I guess. But if you want that luxury car, or that nice colonial house,40k just isn't going to cut it. I guess it's really up to the person and what kind of stuff they want to attain eventually.

JoeChalupa
01-01-2010, 12:39 AM
40k is okay I guess. But if you want that luxury car, or that nice colonial house,40k just isn't going to cut it. I guess it's really up to the person and what kind of stuff they want to attain eventually.

Well, while I do want my children to have excellent careers it is never about the money or wanting material things that I stress. The "stuff" that I want them to attain has nothing to do with the amount of money they make or the square footage of their home or the make of the vehicle they drive. Yeah it sounds corny and all Kumbayish but that is how I roll.
Now don't get me wrong I do stress the importance of getting an education for striving for their goals but I've also told them many, many times that it is not all about the benjamins and that in the end they will not be judged by the possession they have, or how big their bank accounts are, or how many figures are in their salary. Not even close.
Yeah I want them to live comfortably in nice big home and drive nice cars and have nice things but not to let that be their main goal in life.
I'll be just as proud of them if they do charitable work and do probono work. My oldest is already looking at colleges and she knows what she wants and by golly I will support her all the way to get that mansion on the hill but it won't bother me one bit if she chooses a different path that gets her that little pink house either.

Leetonidas
01-01-2010, 02:19 AM
Well, while I do want my children to have excellent careers it is never about the money or wanting material things that I stress. The "stuff" that I want them to attain has nothing to do with the amount of money they make or the square footage of their home or the make of the vehicle they drive. Yeah it sounds corny and all Kumbayish but that is how I roll.
Now don't get me wrong I do stress the importance of getting an education for striving for their goals but I've also told them many, many times that it is not all about the benjamins and that in the end they will not be judged by the possession they have, or how big their bank accounts are, or how many figures are in their salary. Not even close.
Yeah I want them to live comfortably in nice big home and drive nice cars and have nice things but not to let that be their main goal in life.
I'll be just as proud of them if they do charitable work and do probono work. My oldest is already looking at colleges and she knows what she wants and by golly I will support her all the way to get that mansion on the hill but it won't bother me one bit if she chooses a different path that gets her that little pink house either.

Spoken like a true stoner. :tu

ashbeeigh
01-15-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm just going ot use the same thread instead of creating a new one....I had an interview for a research assistant at UTHSCA yesterday morning and am putting together the thank you notes as we speak. I interviewed with a handful of people (the head researchers...it was 4).

Should I send a general thank you note to the department or should I write each one of them a different one?

Kori Ellis
01-15-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm just going ot use the same thread instead of creating a new one....I had an interview for a research assistant at UTHSCA yesterday morning and am putting together the thank you notes as we speak. I interviewed with a handful of people (the head researchers...it was 4).

Should I send a general thank you note to the department or should I write each one of them a different one?

I would say one note.

Kori Ellis
01-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Oh and good luck, Ash.

ashbeeigh
01-15-2010, 12:12 PM
I would say one note.

Thanks. That's where I was leaning. I didn't want to be too over the top.

phxspurfan
01-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks. That's where I was leaning. I didn't want to be too over the top.

The note won't put you over the top, but a concise thank you is a nice touch. The interview is where its at, and you have to click there.

CosmicCowboy
01-15-2010, 12:22 PM
I admit I haven't been on that many job interviews but when did thank you notes become part of the process? I clearly did things all wrong but somehow managed to get hired anyway.

phxspurfan
01-15-2010, 12:25 PM
I got my last 2 jobs because (randomly) one of the interviews in each office went to Clark.

That's jobs in Phoenix, AZ and Santa Clara, CA (small world).

ashbeeigh
01-15-2010, 12:27 PM
I admit I haven't been on that many job interviews but when did thank you notes become part of the process? I clearly did things all wrong but somehow managed to get hired anyway.

It's a nice way to wrap it up. Let everyone know you are, indeed interested in the position. If you are one of the top few candidates and they are trying to decide (and particularly in this instances since it is academic) it shows that I really do care about the position.

The people who are making the decision are able to say, "Oh she was the one that took the initiative to thank us for the opportunity...to emphasize the things that she brings to the table."

I'm sure Katy can shine some light on thank you notes. But, I'm going to kind of leave it at that. This is how i feel and I always write them - whether via e-mail or via snail mail. This one is snail mail.

RGMCSE
01-15-2010, 01:16 PM
It sounds desperate to me. I would be turned off by such a kiss ass approach. I would ask my self, "Do I want to work with an over the top kiss ass for 2500 hours a year"? Uh Hell no!

Good luck though!

Rob in SA

marini martini
01-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Gottrocks;

Thank you so much for allowing me look at your filthy, stinkin' master bathroom. I can't believe people like you live like such disgusting pigs. It would be my privilege to remodel that ole crapper, and make it shinier than than a brand spankin' new penny.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Later,

Bubba Jaxson

ashbeeigh
01-15-2010, 01:44 PM
It sounds desperate to me. I would be turned off by such a kiss ass approach. I would ask my self, "Do I want to work with an over the top kiss ass for 2500 hours a year"? Uh Hell no!

Good luck though!

Rob in SA

We're obviously on very different pages on my approach to looking for a job...but a quick google "thank you notes and job hunting" get me me

http://www.chiff.com/a/interview-thanks.htm

If you're not convinced yet, the following reasons outline the significance of sending thank-you notes:

(1) Sending a thank-you note demonstrates that you are good with people. You employ the most basic of people skills — a show of gratitude.

(2) It helps companies remember you after the interview. You can restate your interest in the position, especially if the interview went well.

(3) You can use the thank-you note to summarize a few of the main points discussed at the interview. You can also add anything you forgot to tell them.

(4) It has the potential to increase your affinity with those who have the authority to hire you.

(5) It shows that you are serious about your career design.

(6) It indicates that you are organized and on top of details.

(7) It demonstrates that you went out of your way to show interest in the company and/or position.

(8) If they decide not to consider you for the position, perhaps they know of another opportunity that suits you. You can mention this in the thank-you note, asking them to keep you in mind.

RGMCSE
01-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Whatever works for you. Honestly I hope you find what your looking for. Everyone has their own thing that works for them. I've had many jobs. As I attain new skills and experience I like to go into an interview and kick ass! I go in knowing my field and have the ability to discuss my experience in detail. I also don't waste time on subjects I'm not familiar with. Honesty is respected If I don't know and I tell them straight up then some people appreciate that. We move on and key on the things that I really know. I think it has worked for me many times. Show some personality, but don't be over the top. I feel that if your interviewing well, there's no need to have to remind them who you are because they wouldn't have forgot in the first place.

Rob in SA

Chingo Bling
01-15-2010, 02:40 PM
UTHSC?!

Jou mean Ursulas Tamale House on South Commerce?! If jou wanted to make tamales jou can come work for Chingo.

phxspurfan
01-15-2010, 03:29 PM
whatever works for you. Honestly i hope you find what your looking for. Everyone has their own thing that works for them. I've had many jobs. As i attain new skills and experience i like to go into an interview and kick ass! I go in knowing my field and have the ability to discuss my experience in detail. I also don't waste time on subjects i'm not familiar with. Honesty is respected if i don't know and i tell them straight up then some people appreciate that. We move on and key on the things that i really know. I think it has worked for me many times. Show some personality, but don't be over the top. I feel that if your interviewing well, there's no need to have to remind them who you are because they wouldn't have forgot in the first place.

Rob in sa

+1

Kori Ellis
01-15-2010, 03:34 PM
I managed an employment agency for a long time.. it was customary for us to ask the job candidates to write thank you notes to the prospective employers after their interviews. It's a nice courtesy. Ash is doing the right thing.

ashbeeigh
01-15-2010, 04:01 PM
I managed an employment agency for a long time.. it was customary for us to ask the job candidates to write thank you notes to the prospective employers after their interviews. It's a nice courtesy. Ash is doing the right thing.

Even if I was going to take their retarded to not send a thank you note, I can't take it back now. The mail man took it away about 2 hours ago. :lol

I seriously do not understand why you would not send a thank you note. Even if you did blow them away in the interview and they said, "we'll be in touch by X time to offer you this position." You should still let them know you are serious enough about the job to say thank you for interviewing..they didn't have to interview you for goodness sakes.

I. Hustle
01-15-2010, 04:05 PM
The best advice I have is dress to impress. Guys make sure that you are well groomed. A nice haircut and shave goes a long way. Don't bathe in your cologne either. If you have to wear it just lightly spray. Also try and wear a tie if you don't own a suit. Hell go to goodwill and get an interview suit. But try to look your best.

Gals, wear something low cut and show your boobs.

ashbeeigh
01-15-2010, 04:12 PM
The best advice I have is dress to impress. Guys make sure that you are well groomed. A nice haircut and shave goes a long way. Don't bathe in your cologne either. If you have to wear it just lightly spray. Also try and wear a tie if you don't own a suit. Hell go to goodwill and get an interview suit. But try to look your best.

Gals, wear something low cut and show your boobs.

Wasn't it your office where they gave preference to girls with big boobs or was it someone else?

phxspurfan
01-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Even if I was going to take their retarded to not send a thank you note, I can't take it back now. The mail man took it away about 2 hours ago. :lol

I seriously do not understand why you would not send a thank you note. Even if you did blow them away in the interview and they said, "we'll be in touch by X time to offer you this position." You should still let them know you are serious enough about the job to say thank you for interviewing..they didn't have to interview you for goodness sakes.

Try living with the mindset of abundance, versus a mindset of scarcity.

This doesn't mean you get to where you're going without doing any work (studying the competition, interviewing skills workshops, presenting yourself well, in this case). It does mean you don't have to beg for everything like you're about to be evicted and deported and you haven't had a job in months.

It's kind of like why they say it's better to look for a job when you don't need one. I accepted my alst two offers while I still had a position, and so when people called and were referred to me via word of mouth, I probably came off like I had other options and was evaluating them as well.

I. Hustle
01-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Wasn't it your office where they gave preference to girls with big boobs or was it someone else?

Yup, just goes to show you that it works.

z0sa
01-15-2010, 04:54 PM

That's any office

ploto
01-15-2010, 05:06 PM

I think nowdays it would be more customary to send an e-mail. That way they get it right away. A snail mail may not even get there before they decide.

ploto
01-15-2010, 05:13 PM
I had an interview for a research assistant at UTHSCA yesterday morning and am putting together the thank you notes as we speak.

I am willing to bet you had to lower your salary expectations. Hope it works out. It's a nice place to work. :D

ashbeeigh
01-15-2010, 05:46 PM
I think nowdays it would be more customary to send an e-mail. That way they get it right away. A snail mail may not even get there before they decide.

I have sent them in the past. The things I've have heard is to send it the way you have been communicating with them. You know how some people love e-mails and others love the phone? These were phone people.

Not to mention some people, if it's an Executive Director or a big firm the e-mail may be sitting at the bottom of their list to open and not top priority.

Everyone gets their snail mail everyday, so if they have a ton of e-mails then they'll have the letter in their hands quickly. Specifically for this position I was only the second interview so hopefully they haven't made their decision yet.

So, it's either or for me.

King
01-15-2010, 05:53 PM

Good luck though!

Rob in SA

I wouldn't work for you because you're working me an extra 400 hours a year.

King
01-15-2010, 05:56 PM

I've heard it's a good idea to have a thank you note in hand, and pretty much write it in the car and mail it on the way home from the interview. It probably would get there the next day, or maybe two days later.

CosmicCowboy
01-15-2010, 06:22 PM
I interviewed with a handful of people (the head researchers...it was 4).

Does the job description also include motorboating?...:p:

mrsmaalox
01-15-2010, 06:52 PM
I haven't done much job hunting either (none actually) but it would seem that making an application and going thru an interview are indications of your interest in the job they are hiring for. Now you have to send a thank you note to show you're really serious about it?