12-29-2009, 03:14 PM
I have the Spurs with 4

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

anonoftheinternets
12-29-2009, 03:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

Spurs record against teams with winning records: 2-10, including 5 L's in a row
Spurs Road Win/Home Loss +/-: Even

what about the fact one of those measly wins by this bad team was against a full strength dallas?

lefty
12-29-2009, 03:17 PM
He doesn't have me at 4 ?

Why wouldn't he invite me for dinner?

Findog
12-29-2009, 03:18 PM
what about the fact one of those measly wins by this bad team was against a full strength dallas?

That's called a trap game. Dallas beat Cleveland without Dirk.

Agloco
12-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Didn't realize you could count that high......

Come on now F-Dog, you're using Hollingers rankings as a platform to argue against? :rolleyes

Findog
12-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Didn't realize you could count that high......

Come on now F-Dog, you're using Hollingers rankings as a platform to argue against? :rolleyes

I think the Spurs will get better as the season goes along, but the whole premise of them being the Lakers biggest threat was Manu's return to vintage 2005-2007 Manu, Jefferson giving you guys a jolt,and Parker picking right up where he left off last year. None of those things have happened. Timmy beasting like it's May is the only thing keeping you guys afloat right now, but you already knew that. I just think that the supporting cast needs to pick it up quick, because at Timmy's age he can't play 82 games + playoffs at this level. I'm sure Pop was hoping to save Duncan's beasting for the spring.

anonoftheinternets
12-29-2009, 03:21 PM
That's called a trap game. Dallas beat Cleveland without Dirk.

are we going to chase each other around these pointless threads, or just accept the fact that its only december and spurs are not as bad as we thought they are and dallas is not as good as we think they are? Or even better its regular season and everything is conjecture?

But i will say i am pleasantly surprised dallas got its shit together so fast despite terry's "wonderful" drop into oblivion. In fact none of the nba teams look as scary as they did 2 years back when boston, la, the cavs, orl with jameer etc. looked formidable.

Findog
12-29-2009, 03:22 PM
are we going to chase each other around these pointless threads, or just accept the fact that its only december and spurs are not as bad as we thought they are and dallas is not as good as we think they are? Or even better its regular season and everything is conjecture?

But i will say i am pleasantly surprised dallas got its shit together so fast despite terry's "wonderful" drop into oblivion. In fact none of the nba teams look as scary as they did 2 years back when boston, la, the cavs, orl with jameer etc. looked formidable.

I'm just surprised at how much the Spurs have struggled, is all. I thought they would be better than us coming into the season. That may still happen. I thought you guys would be playing later than us last year.

anonoftheinternets
12-29-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm just surprised at how much the Spurs have struggled, is all. I thought they would be better than us coming into the season. That may still happen. I thought you guys would be playing later than us last year.

same here, i think dirk is the reason. He has really suprised me the way he has bounced back. If terry was clicking like he did in 2006 Mavs might make a lot of noise yet. But if manu starts clicking like he did in 2008 (reg season) i like our chances with or without jefferson.

Who do you think will perform better - manu or terry? :lol of course i beleive in manu but i will admit im confused as to why terry is in a slump. Maybe its jus a regular season slump, we'll see.

Agloco
12-29-2009, 03:25 PM
I think the Spurs will get better as the season goes along, but the whole premise of them being the Lakers biggest threat was Manu's return to vintage 2005-2007 Manu, Jefferson giving you guys a jolt,and Parker picking right up where he left off last year. None of those things have happened. Timmy beasting like it's May is the only thing keeping you guys afloat right now, but you already knew that. I just think that the supporting cast needs to pick it up quick, because at Timmy's age he can't play 82 games + playoffs at this level. I'm sure Pop was hoping to save Duncan's beasting for the spring.

Can't argue with that. Harlem Heat did an analysis of our backcourt/frontcourt efficiency which showed exactly where the problem lies. Honestly though, how many of those losses can be chalked up to lack of playing time together? The Spurs could easily be 19-8 or even 20-7 right now (take a close look at the end of the OKC, @UTA, UTA and @ DAL games to name a few). What's your opinion if they had gotten just three of those?

Natually it would change a bit, but the same problems still exist.

Findog
12-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Can't argue with that. Harlem Heat did an analysis of our backcourt/frontcourt efficiency which showed exactly where the problem lies. Honestly though, how many of those losses can be chalked up to lack of playing time together? The Spurs could easily be 19-8 or even 20-7 right now (take a close look at the end of the OKC, @UTAH and @ DAL games to name a few). What's your opinion if they had gotten just three of those?

Dallas record in close games this year is 11-4. They could be anywhere from 26-5 to 11-20, and as it is they are 22-9. The Spurs are what they are up to this point.

According to this, with a Point Differential of 5.1, they should be 19-9, so I think the Spurs are a little bit better than their record:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2010.html

We'll know a lot more about San Antonio after the RRT. I don't really see Jefferson as struggling, since he went from a shit Milwaukee team where he can have all the shots he wants to a Spurs team that makes him the fourth option and demands efficiency. Manu is struggling to bounce back from an injury. What is Parker's problem?

Findog
12-29-2009, 03:30 PM
same here, i think dirk is the reason. He has really suprised me the way he has bounced back. If terry was clicking like he did in 2006 Mavs might make a lot of noise yet. But if manu starts clicking like he did in 2008 (reg season) i like our chances with or without jefferson.

Who do you think will perform better - manu or terry? :lol of course i beleive in manu but i will admit im confused as to why terry is in a slump. Maybe its jus a regular season slump, we'll see.

Terry is a streaky shooter. Manu needs to get his legs under him. I think part of his problem is mental coming back from his injury.

Chomag
12-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Can't argue with that. Harlem Heat did an analysis of our backcourt/frontcourt efficiency which showed exactly where the problem lies. Honestly though, how many of those losses can be chalked up to lack of playing time together? The Spurs could easily be 19-8 or even 20-7 right now (take a close look at the end of the OKC, @UTA, UTA and @ DAL games to name a few). What's your opinion if they had gotten just three of those?

Yep, what if we won all those games!:rolleyes

I allways have disliked the shoulda, coulda, woulda. Anyone can say this about anything.

Agloco
12-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Dallas record in close games this year is 11-4. They could be anywhere from 26-5 to 11-20, and as it is they are 22-9. The Spurs are what they are up to this point.

According to this, with a Point Differential of 5.1, they should be 19-9, so I think the Spurs are a little bit better than their record:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2010.html

We'll know a lot more about San Antonio after the RRT. I don't really see Jefferson as struggling, since he went from a shit Milwaukee team where he can have all the shots he wants to a Spurs team that makes him the fourth option and demands efficiency. Manu is struggling to bounce back from an injury. What is Parker's problem?

Well, that's the heart of the matter now isn't it? Parker has been the biggest disappointment all season long IMO. Looking at him, you'd think he's reverted back to 2003 Parker.....you know the one that passes up the wide open floater and doesn't dish to the guys on the wing only to take it straight into the waiting arms of 3 opposing players in the paint? Add to that the fact that he's not playing any kind of D, and you've got a big problem.

The positive though, is that he's responded with 2 solid outings on the road. But like you, I'm waiting for a "big three" sighting against a legit contender. Until that happens, I wouldn't put the Spurs in the top 10 much less the top 5.

Agloco
12-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Yep, what if we won all those games!:rolleyes

I allways have disliked the shoulda, coulda, woulda. Anyone can say this about anything.

Logic for those who choose not to ask "Why?". It's much easier on you, but ultimately you're doing yourself a disservice. It's something called context. Reality presents one with shades of gray. Rarely is the world black and white.

anonoftheinternets
12-29-2009, 03:51 PM
What is Parker's problem?

Parker is used to three things. Playing a two man game with duncan, driving pell mell into a crowd without a care or running a one man fast break, and hitting stationary targets spotting up for three. Now in this case, it is not so simple because he is responsible to do all of that and additionally look to involve other offensive weapons into the game.

Parker himself said he is a bit confused as to how to involve more people into the game. Apart from that if u include his busy offseason, he was looking a bit tired out there. Right now he has a lot on his mind, if he was selfish and simple minded he could revert back to the parker we all know, but that wouldn't be utlizing all his tools to their maximum ability. So I think he really needs to figure out how to get this spurs team working at their maximum potential.

A simple example, is RJ as a spot up shooter, RJ would be an awesome backdoor option like the ones sergio and rudy run all the time for portland, or rondo and kg, or mo and bron. How awesome would it be if spurs could get an easy dunk for two to keep the D honest when kobe roams on RJ(prev wud have been bowen sitting idly for a 3). For this tpark should improve his game and watch out for RJ additionally cutting. And i really believe he will get there, if he doesnt spurs are sunk this year.

Seventyniner
12-29-2009, 03:53 PM
I suppose it depends on how much you trust statistics. Statisticians (such as Hollinger) have pored through lots of data and say that a team's record in close games is as much a matter of luck than anything else; good teams are often on the winning end of blowouts. This is why the Spurs are probably slightly better than your average 17-11 team (1-4 in games decided by 5 pts or less), while the Lakers are probably not quite as good as your average 24-6 team (6-0 in games decided by 5 pts or less, including 4 OT wins).

quentin_compson
12-29-2009, 04:16 PM
I think Findog made some good points. Right now, I don't think we are the 4th best team in the league, even if those b2b-wins on the road (granted, they came against scrub teams) have been encouraging, as has been Tony's and Manu's play recently. Still, as Paul McCartney sang so beautifully, it's a long and winding road (to being a contender in this case).

I have to say I was surprised by the good start of the Mavs. They, too, had new players to integrate and injuries to deal with. One little remark though: As great as Nowitzki winning about 4 or 5 games with buzzer-beaters or similar heroic acts is, I wouldn't count on it to happen all season long. Not because Nowitzki normally isn't that clutch (he is), just because you can't always hit the game-winning shot.

exstatic
12-29-2009, 04:27 PM
You are what your record says you are - Bill Parcells

I think people around here tend to give the Spurs a pass when their record is bad. I think other people around here tend to soft pedal a good stretch when the comp isn't up to snuff. Both of those are probably errors.

DPG21920
12-29-2009, 05:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

Spurs record against teams with winning records: 2-10, including 5 L's in a row
Spurs Road Win/Home Loss +/-: Even

What is the Lakers record against teams with winning records? Also, you have to dig a bit deeper. Were the games they lost against the elite blowouts or where they winnable?

To me, if the Spurs had squeaked out wins against 3 more +500 teams instead of losing by a small margin, their record would appear better, but they level of play would not have really changed overall.

Agloco
12-29-2009, 06:11 PM
What is the Lakers record against teams with winning records? Also, you have to dig a bit deeper. Were the games they lost against the elite blowouts or where they winnable?

To me, if the Spurs had squeaked out wins against 3 more +500 teams instead of losing by a small margin, their record would appear better, but they level of play would not have really changed overall.

You see Fin? It's not just me.

DPG21920
12-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Also, the thing about the Spurs is their problems are evident and can be fixed without anything besides players just playing to their normal level.

Spurs don't need Jefferson to be this ultra efficient 4th option. They need him to be aggressive, run the break, defend and rebound. They also need him to get to the FT line and occasionally carry the team when people are struggling. He is capable of doing all of that.

TP just needs to get healthy and acclimated. He should be able to do that.

Manu is the only really big question mark. The Spurs need him to be close to what he was and he is the only "problem" that seemingly might not get fixed. We don't know what level Manu can reach yet. This is the biggest concern.

TinTin
12-29-2009, 06:41 PM
I have the Spurs with 4

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

:lol:lol:lol

jack0fspeed
12-29-2009, 06:48 PM
I never cared much for power rankings. Seems to me the important thing is how well you match up with potential playoff opponents.

I'll wait until after the ASB to judge the Spurs (as always), but It's not looking great right now in terms of matchups. If the Mavs, Nuggets, and Lakers claim the top 3 spots, I see the Spurs as having a difficult path (i.e. a team like Portland in round 1 and then the Lakers in round 2, Denver or Dallas in the WCF). That's a tough road.

Muser
12-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Also, the thing about the Spurs is their problems are evident and can be fixed without anything besides players just playing to their normal level.

Spurs don't need Jefferson to be this ultra efficient 4th option. They need him to be aggressive, run the break, defend and rebound. They also need him to get to the FT line and occasionally carry the team when people are struggling. He is capable of doing all of that.

TP just needs to get healthy and acclimated. He should be able to do that.

Manu is the only really big question mark. The Spurs need him to be close to what he was and he is the only "problem" that seemingly might not get fixed. We don't know what level Manu can reach yet. This is the biggest concern.

This.

HarlemHeat37
12-29-2009, 07:21 PM
btw, LOL @ Findog mentioning the Spurs record vs. +.500 teams in like 5 threads, as if we haven't been talking about it already..it's like he finally discovered how to use stats, so he's spreading the word..

I understand a thread about it, but mentioning it everywhere?..

ElNono
12-29-2009, 08:08 PM
We've actually been blowing through low and middle-of-the-pack teams (as opposed to losing to them) and the games we lost against over .500 teams were all pretty much close games (games that were within reach in the 4th quarter).
That Hollinger ranking has a strong bias towards scoring differential, thus it's not surprising we're number 4 there...

Findog
12-29-2009, 08:28 PM
what is the lakers record against teams with winning records?

9-6

Findog
12-29-2009, 08:29 PM
btw, LOL @ Findog mentioning the Spurs record vs. +.500 teams in like 5 threads, as if we haven't been talking about it already..it's like he finally discovered how to use stats, so he's spreading the word..

I understand a thread about it, but mentioning it everywhere?..

I just want to make sure everybody has the most current information so we can have an informed debate :toast

Findog
12-29-2009, 08:31 PM
it's actually kind of sad with all the struggles of this team that we're like 2 games back of the #2 team in the West..how the West has fallen off..

3.5 games behind the #2 seed. The #2 seed has played 16 home games and 15 roadies, while the Spurs have played 17 home games and 11 roadies.

DPG21920
12-29-2009, 08:48 PM
9-6

It was not really a question, but a poke at you for posting those stats everywhere like lol thread :lol

jag
12-29-2009, 09:36 PM
I just want to make sure everybody has the most current information so we can have an informed debate :toast

:lol I got McDyess....you take Gooden. Let's go.

L.I.T
12-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Just a hater.

Actually, one of the better threads I've seen in a while.

Someone mentioned earlier that Harlem Heat did a great job with the backcourt analysis. Almost on cue, both TP and Manu have picked up their game. I think this is now three games in a row where they've posted double digit scoring and at least 3 assists each; although TP still isn't shooting for a high percentage yet...but I'm sure it's coming.

What I've been most happy with is the performance of the bench; especially Dice and Mason. They seem to be finding their comfort zones. If the crew of Hill/Manu/Mason/Dice can fully gel, they will easily be the best bench in the league and probably the biggest plus factor for the Spurs in any potential playoff matchup.