PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Ginobili shaping up nicely

Blackjack
12-30-2009, 02:48 AM
Spurs' Ginobili shaping up nicely (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Ginobili_shaping_up_nicely.html)
By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

The passes come zipping from every direction, and in every way imaginable.

No look. Behind-the-back. Over-the-shoulder. In traffic. With English.

If there's one thing DeJuan Blair has learned early in his rookie season with the Spurs, it's that when Manu Ginobili is directing a fast break, expect the unexpected.

“He can throw it off his back, hit it off his foot,” Blair said. “He can do anything. He's amazing.”

In the Spurs' 117-99 trouncing of Minnesota on Tuesday night, Ginobili did everything but sell popcorn.

In what coach Gregg Popovich called one of his Argentine guard's best all-around games, Ginobili had 14 points, nine rebounds, 10 assists and three steals, narrowly missing the first triple-double of his career. Improbably, his overstuffed stat sheet didn't do justice to the havoc he wreaked on the Timberwolves.

With Ginobili in the lead, tossing the ball around the AT&T Center like a live grenade, the Spurs enjoyed a season-high 29 fast-break points en route to their ninth win in 11 games.

“We really moved the ball well,” Ginobili said. “When we do that, everybody feels good, and everybody hustles. It's a different mood.”

Spurs forward Richard Jefferson scored 24 points, a team-leading total that matched his second-best game of the season. Tim Duncan added a 17-point, 10-rebound double-double. Roger Mason Jr. had 18 points, including 10 in the second quarter as the Spurs (18-11) began to turn the game into a laugher.

All of it was obscured by Hurricane Manu.

There were times when it looked as if Ginobili had a homing device in the back of his head. He seemed bent on getting all of his teammates in on the tail end of a SportsCenter highlight.

In the first half, he hit a trailing Jefferson with a no-look touch pass for a dunk. After a steal, he found George Hill with a length-of-the-court, over-the-shoulder fling that, to the uninitiated, might have looked like an 80-foot hook shot that only went 60.

Later, he hit Blair with a behind-the-back job while falling out of bounds, the ball finding the Spurs' big rookie so unexpectedly that he was surprised he'd caught it, even after he did.

It was as if Ginobili were a Globetrotter, and the Timberwolves (7-25) were the Washington Generals.

“He has a lot of tricks in his bag,” Hill said. “When he's out running the break, you know to keep your head up. He'll throw it through his legs, with backspin. He throws all kinds of stuff.”

On nights like this, when Ginobili can dominate a game by making just five field goals, general manager R.C. Buford must feel like locking up him to a long-term contract extension — and signing Ginobili's pending twins for good measure.

Tuesday's performance was Ginobili's third good one in a row and one of the first times he looked more like the game-changing dervish he was earlier in his career, and not the injury-plagued player he's been for the past season and a half.

“He looked,” Popovich said, “like Manu.”

Ginobili's wrap-around to Blair gave him his season-high 10th assist with 6:02 to play, moving him as close as he'd ever been to a triple-double. Popovich left him in the game a little longer than usual to allow him to grab a 10th rebound.

Minnesota, which had shot below 40 percent for most of the game, responded by making four of its next five shots. With 4:52 left, Popovich pulled Ginobili aside and asked if he'd like to stick around for a chance to finish off the feat.

Ginobili declined. Even when it seemed as if he could do anything, it didn't mean he had to do everything.

“I guess the triple-double is a big deal in the States,” Ginobili said. “For me, it's not. I was not going to force it.”

Danny.Zhu
12-30-2009, 05:44 AM
Ginobili declined.

Cool.

TJastal
12-30-2009, 06:10 AM
I'd be willing to wager that when TP and Manu hit 15+ assists (combined) a night the spurs are practically unbeatable.

SpurNation
12-30-2009, 06:42 AM
Basketball itself will be a lesser game to watch once Ginobili retires much less the Spurs being without one of the best players to wear the silver and black.

benefactor
12-30-2009, 06:43 AM
He is truly one of a kind. Pray for health Spur fan.........pray.

Duncan21kid
12-30-2009, 08:19 AM
put yourselves in Manu's shoes : only a board away from a career first triple double and the fans yelling your stats at you and all the rush and hype you would get during that time, yet he still declines... no surprise but still shows what an INSANE player he his :D

Brazil
12-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Ginobili declined. Even when it seemed as if he could do anything, it didn't mean he had to do everything.

“I guess the triple-double is a big deal in the States,” Ginobili said. “For me, it's not. I was not going to force it.”

This is why I love this team, nobody cares about his personnal stats: Manu declined a TD, Tim accepts to limit his minutes and production, TP limits his FGA to 10 a game, Manu accepts forever coming off the bench, Dice too... no drama queens, no I want to be traded, no "me me me" spirit.
Kobe, Lebroun... watch and learn

Drachen
12-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Wow, talk about the perfect example of how the Spurs are different than the rest of the league. When you have some players who are one rebound away from a triple double intentionally throwing the ball AT THE OPPOSING TEAM'S GOAL just so he can catch it for a "rebound." Then you have Manu declining the offer to go out and get that last rebound with plenty of time left to do so. I love the Spurs, damn, we are one lucky fanbase if any of you don't already know that.

Edit: I really feel we have to thank David Robinson for this. I believe that this was in the character of the players that we picked up, but DRob's example made it easy for the front office to enforce that character until it just flowed organically.

dbestpro
12-30-2009, 09:50 AM
While Manu was the MVP of the game Tony was the Most Improtant Player of the game. Why? His outside shot was off and he did not score a bunch of points. The reason I find TP to be the MIP is that he recognized that Manu, RJ and Mason were playing off the charts. He elected to defer the scoring to them and did not force it on a night where his shot was not falling. Excellent BB IQ for TP that will go un-noticed by most. Props to TP.

anonoftheinternets
12-30-2009, 10:18 AM
While Manu was the MVP of the game Tony was the Most Improtant Player of the game. Why? His outside shot was off and he did not score a bunch of points. The reason I find TP to be the MIP is that he recognized that Manu, RJ and Mason were playing off the charts. He elected to defer the scoring to them and did not force it on a night where his shot was not falling. Excellent BB IQ for TP that will go un-noticed by most. Props to TP.

there is no need to be condescending. TP knows this is his team, he doesnt have anything to prove, and contrary to what is being floated, he is not a ball hog. Only does so in the best interest of the team. So its not a big deal that he stepped aside, he routinely does so. If it looks like hes pounding the ball, its because he believed that was the best way for the team to win. So its not excellent bball IQ its routine bball. Welcome to spurs basketball.

TJastal
12-30-2009, 10:29 AM
TP looked more poised and in control tonight. On one of the fast breaks he cooly recieved a pass at mid-court and I fully expected him to shift gears and try to take it all the way to the rim, and try to score himself.

Instead, he calmly assessed the situation and thumped a perfect bounce pass to a teammate (Manu) who was running the break for an easy deuce.

I think he's starting to learn its alot easier to set up a teammate for an easy score than trying to do it all himself.

pjjrfan
12-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Tony does hog the ball, but it's the nature of his game, he needs the ball in his hands to create for himself, but then that's what had been asked of him the last 2 seasons that saw Manu injured and Tim not at full strength, the role he is being asked to play now is more similiar to what he did in his first 2 or 3 seasons here, the big difference being that Tony has more skills and more confidence in himself and in his game. If Manu can continue to stay at this level and everyone else stays healthy this team can become a dangerous team.
Manu when he is at his best is a once in a lifetime player.

dbestpro
12-30-2009, 11:09 AM
there is no need to be condescending. TP knows this is his team, he doesnt have anything to prove, and contrary to what is being floated, he is not a ball hog. Only does so in the best interest of the team. So its not a big deal that he stepped aside, he routinely does so. If it looks like hes pounding the ball, its because he believed that was the best way for the team to win. So its not excellent bball IQ its routine bball. Welcome to spurs basketball.

TP fans are so edgy the can't take a compliment when given. Wow, I didn't know that TPs play had made them so defensive.

I. Hustle
12-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Anyone turning shit into a TP vs. Manu disucussion is an idiot. We can't do shit without either one. TP AND Manu are the muthafuggin shite!

BillMc
12-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Spurs' Ginobili shaping up nicely (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Ginobili_shaping_up_nicely.html)
By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

No look. Behind-the-back. Over-the-shoulder. In traffic. With English.

Or maybe "With Spanish." :)

Manu is great. Extend his contract R.C. DO IT!!!!

Manu-of-steel
01-02-2010, 05:20 AM
Trade Manu! lol