PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine

Cry Havoc
12-30-2009, 03:53 AM
I just purchased this movie on Blu-Ray and watched it tonight.

Absolutely fantastic. I don't agree with every decision Danny Boyle (quickly becoming my favorite director) made, but this movie, for it's flaws, is still phenomenal.

Really, it's a microcosm of how Boyle directs. In the most compelling way possible, he demonstrates in his movies that really our flaws -- and how we react when our "shields" aren't up, so to speak -- is where our true humanity lies. Probably not nearly as good as we would idealistically like to believe, but still capable of surprising moments of epiphany and selflessness. He also never forgets to inject a bit of realism into perhaps the most superfluous medium of art: That when the chips are down, most people will fight tooth and nail to survive. In much the same way, this movie is amazing because the good completely dominates the majority of the film, providing far more enjoyment than a typical Hollywood action/adventure movie. There is depth here far beyond the pretty visuals.

The basics of the storyline: At some point in the future, our Sun suddenly begins to die, and with it, life on Earth. In response, we launch two vessels, being propelled toward the Sun at thousands of miles per hour. Each one houses a nuclear bomb the size of a football stadium. The idea is to use a massive solar shield to penetrate the Sun at it's coolest point and detonate the bomb, reigniting the colossal solar furnace and bringing the Sun back to it's full blazing inferno. This is the story of the 2nd crew, after the first fails to complete it's mission.

If you love stellar (heh) cinematography, or like your Sci-Fi with a big helping of science to go along with the fiction, Sunshine dazzles. I could write a lot more about the intricacies of this film... the way it captures human emotion at it's rawest, and gives us a perfect model of exactly how to connect an audience to a movie, but I will stop here, at the risk of revealing too much. Aside from a couple of odd situations, it's an experience I savored, one that threw me through a wringer, vacillating between moments of high emotion and incredibly tense action scenes. You do, at times, feel like you're falling directly into the Sun, with no way to stop yourself.

8.75/10 -- A sci-fi classic that stands among the best in the genre.

MiamiHeat
12-30-2009, 04:33 AM
is that the one where one of the crew members turns into a killer and runs around naked, with a burned body worshipping the sun?

bostonguy
12-30-2009, 04:43 AM
The movie was going well until it turned into a horror film. Then it went to shit.

Cry Havoc
12-30-2009, 12:55 PM
The movie was going well until it turned into a horror film. Then it went to shit.

Meh, that was only 10 minutes of the film or so. Besides, I think it was meant to be taken symbolically.

ATRAIN
12-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Its funny you bring this up I just finished watching 28 days later and was telling my coworker that Boyle is one of my fav directors and I really wanted to see Sunshine cause I hear it fanfuckingtastic on Blu Ray.

mrsmaalox
12-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Dammm. I thought this thread was about the ST poster called Sunshine. She's one of my favorites :)

ATRAIN
Dammm. I thought this thread was about the ST poster called Sunshine. She's one of my favorites :)

Well thats what you get for thinking. Didnt I tell you not to be doing that.

I. Hustle
Its funny you bring this up I just finished watching 28 days later and was telling my coworker that Boyle is one of my fav directors and I really wanted to see Sunshine cause I hear it fanfuckingtastic on Blu Ray.

One of my favorite flicks.

ATRAIN
12-30-2009, 01:08 PM
One of my favorite flicks.

Even though people call it a zombie flick, I still dont consider it a zombie flick cause no person infected is re-annimated flesh. If I had to put it as a zombie flick it would be number 1. I love the Irony in towards the end when the disease was called rage and that's what Murphy used his inner rage to beat the soldiers.

Bender
12-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Dammm. I thought this thread was about the ST poster called Sunshine
that was my first thought too

Cry Havoc
12-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Even though people call it a zombie flick, I still dont consider it a zombie flick cause no person infected is re-annimated flesh. If I had to put it as a zombie flick it would be number 1. I love the Irony in towards the end when the disease was called rage and that's what Murphy used his inner rage to beat the soldiers.

+1

It's awesome how Boyle toys with the fine line between "sane human" and "crazed rage infected zombie". Pretty much from the point where the Jim beats down the child in the gas station you start getting that uneasy feeling. And near the end when he approaches Selena in the soldier's compound, covered in blood, she almost kills him on the spot, not knowing if he's turned. It shows you how close we are to losing all control of civilization, as our primal instincts are always on the verge of reappearing.

ATRAIN
12-30-2009, 02:12 PM
+1

It's awesome how Boyle toys with the fine line between "sane human" and "crazed rage infected zombie". Pretty much from the point where the Jim beats down the child in the gas station you start getting that uneasy feeling. And near the end when he approaches Selena in the soldier's compound, covered in blood, she almost kills him on the spot, not knowing if he's turned. It shows you how close we are to losing all control of civilization, as our primal instincts are always on the verge of reappearing.

Yeah man he flipped out and was more dangerous than the infected at that time. Shows what limits we can really show when lines are crossed and all sanity if out of the window.

Trainwreck2100
12-30-2009, 04:07 PM
28 weeks later was dogshit

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah, it was complete horseshit.

ATRAIN
12-30-2009, 04:11 PM
28 weeks later was dogshit

Yeah it was

I. Hustle
12-30-2009, 04:15 PM