PDA

View Full Version : Dick Cheney: Barack Obama 'trying to pretend'

George Gervin's Afro
12-30-2009, 09:29 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/31054.html

Dick Cheney: Barack Obama 'trying to pretend'

“[W]e are at war and when President Obama pretends we aren’t, it makes us less safe,” Cheney said in a statement to POLITICO. “Why doesn’t he want to admit we’re at war? It doesn’t fit with the view of the world he brought with him to the Oval Office. It doesn’t fit with what seems to be the goal of his presidency – social transformation—the restructuring of American society.”

Cheney was joining a chorus of Republicans who have criticized Obama following the Christmas Day attack, in which a Nigerian suspect is accused of trying to blow up a loaded airliner with a bomb stitched into his underwear.

A senior Democrat said in response: “It’s telling that in attacking the president and the administration, that Vice President Cheney did not condemn the attack against our nation on Christmas Day.”

Foreshadowing the party’s strategy for next year’s midterm congressional elections, GOP officeholders have eschewed the customary partisan restraint following a terrorist incident, and have baldly portrayed Democrats as weak on security.

Rep. Peter King of New York, ranking Republican on the House Homeland Security Committee and a member of the Intelligence committee, said Tuesday on NBC’s “Today” show: “I think that the administration has made a mistake by treating this terrorist as a common criminal, by putting him into the criminal-justice system. I wish they had put him into a military tribunal so we could get as much intelligence and information out of him as we could.”

Here is Cheney’s full statement:

"As I’ve watched the events of the last few days it is clear once again that President Obama is trying to pretend we are not at war. He seems to think if he has a low key response to an attempt to blow up an airliner and kill hundreds of people, we won’t be at war. He seems to think if he gives terrorists the rights of Americans, lets them lawyer up and reads them their Miranda rights, we won’t be at war. He seems to think if we bring the mastermind of 9/11 to New York, give him a lawyer and trial in civilian court, we won’t be at war.

“He seems to think if he closes Guantanamo and releases the hard-core al Qaeda trained terrorists still there, we won’t be at war. He seems to think if he gets rid of the words, ‘war on terror,’ we won’t be at war. But we are at war and when President Obama pretends we aren’t, it makes us less safe. Why doesn’t he want to admit we’re at war? It doesn’t fit with the view of the world he brought with him to the Oval Office. It doesn’t fit with what seems to be the goal of his presidency – social transformation—the restructuring of American society. President Obama’s first object and his highest responsibility must be to defend us against an enemy that knows we are at war."

Although Cheney and other Republicans have accused Obama of a muted response to the attack, President George W. Bush was quieter for much longer about the attack by shoe bomber Richard Reid in December 2001.

Obama went before cameras on Monday, the third day after the fizzled bomb attempt.

It was six days after the attack when Bush finally discussed the incident, saying as part of a response to a question at his ranch in Crawford, Texas: “[W]e’ve got to be aware that there are still enemies to the country. And our government is responding accordingly.”

The day before, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld had refused substantive comment, saying: “That’s a matter that’s in the hands of the law enforcement people.” Earlier, White House press secretary Scott McClellan had said officials were “continuing to monitor events.”

Also, Democratic officials maintain that Obama is, in fact, comfortable with the notion that the U.S. is at war with terrorists. Near the start of his inaugural address, he said: “Our nation is at war against a far-reaching network of violence and hatred.”

And John O. Brennan, assistant to the president for homeland security and counterterrorism, declared in an August speech to the Center for Strategic and International Studies: “[A]s the president has made clear, we are at war with al-Qaida, which attacked us on Sept. 11 and killed 3,000 people. We are at war with its violent extremist allies who seek to carry on al-Qaida’s murderous agenda. These are the terrorists we will destroy; these are the extremists we will defeat.”

The senior Democrat said: “There are numerous other such public statements that explicitly state we are at war. The difference from the last administration is that we are at war with that which is tangible -- al-Qaida, violent extremists, and terrorists -- rather than at war with a tactic, ‘terrorism.’”

As indicative of what they contend is Obama’s world view, conservatives passed around the recording of a statement Obama made while taking calls on New Hampshire Public Radio on Nov. 21, 2007: “I truly believe that the day I’m inaugurated, that not only does the country look at itself differently, but the world looks at America differently. If I’m reaching out to the Muslim world, they understand that I’ve lived in a Muslim country and I may be a Christian, but I also can understand their point of view. …

“The world will have confidence that I am listening to them, and that our future and our security is tied up with our ability to work with other countries in the world. That will ultimately make us safer. And that’s something that this administration has failed to understand.”

Hey dick I thought the Iraq war was going to make us safer. How did that work out? Thanks for the unecessary war you dick. I hope you die quickly. Merry Christmas all of you cheney nut huggers.

boutons_deux
12-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Hey, dickhead, how did "The MBA Administration" and Repug Strong-on-NatSec Aces succeed in creating the TSA to make us safer?

$55B and surely to explode due to one terrorist.

And of course, the Repugs' GWOE (global war on employees) fucked over and discriminated against TSA employees vs all other govt employees.

Stationing US boots on Saudi soil makes the world safe for oilcos, but not for Americans.

And tell us again how you, dubya, and Condi successfully activated the NatSec apparatus to prevent 9/11, which was 100% Repug responsibility?

Maybe you were too busy drooling over and celebrating the $Ms in tax reductions for yourself that you just rammed through the Senate with reconciliation?

spursncowboys
12-30-2009, 09:52 AM
I agree one hundred percent with Penguin's good twin. BHO should have maintained that we are and will be at war, instead of changing the wording to oversea contingency plan. It just shows the instability in our foreign policy, to our enemies as well as our allies. Also if we are putting this guy into the American Justice system instead of putting him in a military tribunal, then BHO is making us less safe. He is a terrorist and doesn't belong in a regular jail. He is an enemy of the state as well as an asset for information.
Like always GGA, you make no sense. Barry has said we are leaving Iraq, and a year later they are still planning massive amounts of attacks. I am not silly enough to assume that retreating from Iraq would lessen the number of terrorists or muslim fascists, but the libs and some on this board did make that point.
However GGA, I am very impressed that you came up with a good article that is not filled with lies and out of context quotes. Good job.

George Gervin's Afro
12-30-2009, 09:56 AM
I agree one hundred percent with Penguin's good twin. BHO should have maintained that we are and will be at war, instead of changing the wording to oversea contingency plan. Also if we are putting this guy into the American Justice system instead of putting him in a military tribunal, then BHO is making us less safe. He is a terrorist and doesn't belong in a regular jail. He is an enemy of the state as well as an asset for information.
Like always GGA, you make no sense. Barry has said we are leaving Iraq, and a year later they are still planning massive amounts of attacks. I am not silly enough to assume that retreating from Iraq would lessen the number of terrorists or muslim fascists, but the libs and some on this board did make that point.
However GGA, I am very impressed that you came up with a good article that is not filled with lies and out of context quotes. Good job.

I don't need to use out of context quotes and soundbites like you do. One day you'll figure that out.

Once again you make no sense. Barry didn't start the war to make us safer dick did. So now you agree that it was useless to invade Iraq under the pretense of making us more safe. There is hope for you:toast

ElNono
12-30-2009, 10:14 AM
I was hoping Dick would STFU after leaving office, but I guess that's too much to ask...
I'm certainly glad he's no longer in a position of power...

Marcus Bryant
12-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Well, the country is at war, despite the change in administration. The current administration does play down that fact, which in some respects is the norm in American history.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-30-2009, 10:34 AM
i wonder if liz cheney is still pretending. huh, gga?

:lmao

George Gervin's Afro
12-30-2009, 10:36 AM
i wonder if liz cheney is still pretending. huh, gga?

has her marriage been destroyed beause her sister's gay and wants to get married? are you now telling us you support gay marriage like she does?

I do't blame you for not commenting on the topic because your side whored the iraq war that was supposed to make us safer.Now that has proven to have failed. you support failures and are proud of it.:toast

Viva Las Espuelas
12-30-2009, 10:42 AM
has her marriage been destroyed beause her sister's gay and wants to get married? are you now telling us you support gay marriage like she does?

I do't blame you for not commenting on the topic because your side whored the iraq war that was supposed to make us safer.Now that has proven to have failed. you support failures and are proud of it.:toast

keep waving that flag. wave it proud.

Oh, Gee!!
12-30-2009, 10:43 AM
cheney wants BHO to stop pretending that we're not at war with Islam/Muslims. That's the hidden message he's conveying to the faithful--that BHO is one of "them," not one of us red-blooded 'mericans.

of course, people like SnC buy it hook-line-and-sinker.

spursncowboys
12-30-2009, 11:35 AM
cheney wants BHO to stop pretending that we're not at war with Islam/Muslims. That's the hidden message he's conveying to the faithful--that BHO is one of "them," not one of us red-blooded 'mericans.

of course, people like SnC buy it hook-line-and-sinker.
I said I agree with what he said. You are the guy with the illogical, unproven conspiracy. Seems you bought into it, since you stated it.

DarrinS
12-30-2009, 12:15 PM
And people were outraged that Bush read My Pet Goat for 7 minutes.

Winehole23
12-30-2009, 12:17 PM
What are you outraged about, Darrin?

Wild Cobra
12-30-2009, 12:31 PM
I was hoping Dick would STFU after leaving office, but I guess that's too much to ask...
I'm certainly glad he's no longer in a position of power...
He did for a while, until the left took advantage of him being retired. He had enough, and is speaking out now.

Wouldn't you if someone constantly lied about the work you did?

Winehole23
12-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Poor, poor Dick.

Wild Cobra
12-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Poor, poor Dick.
I find it pretty bad when the current congress and president have to define themselves as by putting down people of the past.

Why can't we look forward rather than back?

balli
12-30-2009, 12:52 PM
That's a questions for that piece of shit Dick Cheney. If that nobody from the past doesn't want to be ridiculed, he should shut the fuck up and keep his failure opinions the fuck out of the public's view.

DarrinS
12-30-2009, 12:55 PM
That's a questions for that piece of shit Dick Cheney. If that nobody from the past doesn't want to be ridiculed, he should shut the fuck up and keep his failure opinions the fuck out of the public's view.

You and GGA need to get together for some anger management. Or, you two could just spoon.

Wild Cobra
12-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Yes, but ridiculing him today keeps it current, so he speaks up. Right? Then on top of that, he speaks of today's mistakes. Not the past. He is looking forward.

Wild Cobra
12-30-2009, 12:57 PM
You and GGA need to get together for some anger management. Or, you two could just spoon.
Or VXIX

balli
12-30-2009, 12:57 PM
You and GGA need to get together for some anger management.
Hopefully, in the name of destroying the president, you people will destroy this country to the point that no safeguards exist to protect you.

Winehole23
12-30-2009, 12:59 PM
I find it pretty bad when the current congress and president have to define themselves as by putting down people of the past.

Why can't we look forward rather than back?Dick Cheney isn't helping your cause much.

Wild Cobra
12-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Dick Cheney isn't helping your cause much.

My cause?

I respect the man. You don't have to like everything about someone or all their actions to have respect for them.

DarrinS
12-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Hopefully, in the name of destroying the president, you people will destroy this country to the point that no safeguards exist to protect you.

Overly dramatic much?

Winehole23
12-30-2009, 01:07 PM
nm.

Winehole23
12-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Overly dramatic much?You've not much room to maneuver there, Darrin. You're the one worried about people taking pens and pencils on airplanes.

ChumpDumper
12-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Cheney is trying to pretend his administration didn't suck.

Wild Cobra
12-30-2009, 01:17 PM
You've not much room to maneuver there, Darrin. You're the one worried about people taking pens and pencils on airplanes.That's not what he said.

Winehole23
12-30-2009, 01:21 PM
It's a reasonable inference.

Wild Cobra
12-30-2009, 01:29 PM
It's a reasonable inference.
Absolutely not. You are unreasonable in spinning that he said pens and pencils are allowed while nail clippers aren't. He was making a relative comparison, which you try to make absolute.

Winehole23
12-30-2009, 01:34 PM
he said pens and pencils are allowed while nail clippers aren't.What was the basis of the comparison? Why is it "odd" to allow one and not the other?

ElNono
12-30-2009, 01:35 PM
He did for a while, until the left took advantage of him being retired. He had enough, and is speaking out now.

Wouldn't you if someone constantly lied about the work you did?

Dick was talking shit mere months into this administration, but regardless, he's the actual definition of a pathological liar...

Dick Cheney was one of the most noxious politicians America had in many years... an out of control warmonger that took a complete shit on the Constitution in order to seize power and completely restrict oversight...

The fact that you claim to respect him automatically disqualifies you from bitching about any politician lying on this or any other administration, republican or democrat, imo.

Cry Havoc
12-30-2009, 02:01 PM

So let me get this straight.

A person can load a yacht with gasoline and fireworks, set it on fire, and then blame the firefighters for their inability to stop the inferno? And anytime someone says, "Well, you know, it was pretty much set up to fail", you can say, "Let's look forward! The firemen suck!"

Dick Cheney is one of the most evil, corrupt pieces of scum to ever sit in the White House. Bush is a saint by comparison.

baseline bum
12-30-2009, 02:41 PM

So let me get this straight.

A person can load a yacht with gasoline and fireworks, set it on fire, and then blame the firefighters for their inability to stop the inferno? And anytime someone says, "Well, you know, it was pretty much set up to fail", you can say, "Let's look forward! The firemen suck!"

Dick Cheney is one of the most evil, corrupt pieces of scum to ever sit in the White House. Bush is a saint by comparison.

:rollin

xrayzebra
12-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Cheney is trying to pretend his administration didn't suck.

Bush administration looks like a bunch of geniuses compared to the idiots
that now occupy the White House. But how would you know. You still
believe in the TOTUS and Dear Leader.

Hell it took him how many days and whoever pulls his strings to figure out
what to say about the "incident". The system worked according to his
Homeland Security Director. Aren't you happy they take into consideration
the passengers on board to ride herd on the "terrorist".

ChumpDumper
12-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Bush administration looks like a bunch of geniuses compared to the idiots
that now occupy the White House. But how would you know. You still
believe in the TOTUS and Dear Leader.Nah, they were worse.

Hell it took him how many days and whoever pulls his strings to figure out
what to say about the "incident". The system worked according to his
Homeland Security Director. Aren't you happy they take into consideration
the passengers on board to ride herd on the "terrorist".

:lmaoHow many years did it take for Bush to figure out his strategy in Iraq wasn't working? Aren't you happy they didn't go in with a post invasion plan?

xrayzebra
12-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Nah, they were worse.

How many years did it take for Bush to figure out his strategy in Iraq wasn't working? Aren't you happy they didn't go in with a post invasion plan?

But Bush did figure it out. Obama is still trying to find his way to the teleprompter.
Rahm is his guiding light, well along with the rest of his left wing idiots.
Their really big problem right now is trying to figure out how to steal the
elections in 2010. Minor problems like terrorist, they can just blame on
someone else. And you know that Janet Napolitano cant be bothered with
that kinda stuff, she has immigration reform just around the corner.

DarrinS
12-30-2009, 03:35 PM
You've not much room to maneuver there, Darrin. You're the one worried about people taking pens and pencils on airplanes.

Wrong. I was pointing out the absurdity of confiscating nail clippers and not pens, which are more dangerous IMHO.

DarrinS
12-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Minor problems like terrorist, they can just blame on someone else. And you know that Janet Napolitano cant be bothered with

They're too busy surveilling tea partiers and town hall protesters.

George Gervin's Afro
12-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Let's sum this up.

We are supposed to listen to the piece of shit who whored the unecessary war. He then ridiculed anyone who questioned the adminitration's strategy and justification for war. It took 6 yrs for dick to acknowledge that not having a post invasion plan was not smart. Finally, dick's strategy was proved a failure that cost American lives.

Today we have people defending the scumbag.....

George Gervin's Afro
12-30-2009, 03:39 PM
But Bush did figure it out. Obama is still trying to find his way to the teleprompter.
Rahm is his guiding light, well along with the rest of his left wing idiots.
Their really big problem right now is trying to figure out how to steal the
elections in 2010. Minor problems like terrorist, they can just blame on
someone else. And you know that Janet Napolitano cant be bothered with

ray it took bush 6 yrs and 3,000 dead American GIs before he figured it out. And he's better than Obama?

Marcus Bryant
12-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Both administrations suck. How the American people are willing to settle for absolute shit.

Winehole23
12-30-2009, 03:50 PM
... pens, which are more dangerous IMHO.The pens worry you a little bit, don't they?

balli
12-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Obama should take away the extra years of secret service protection that he graciously afforded Dick Cheney. And then somebody should take the next step.

DarrinS
12-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Let's sum this up.

We are supposed to listen to the piece of shit who whored the unecessary war. He then ridiculed anyone who questioned the adminitration's strategy and justification for war. It took 6 yrs for dick to acknowledge that not having a post invasion plan was not smart. Finally, dick's strategy was proved a failure that cost American lives.

Today we have people defending the scumbag.....

Cwqh4wQPoQk

DarrinS
12-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Obama should take away the extra years of secret service protection that he graciously afforded Dick Cheney. And then somebody should take the next step.

How does someone from the cozy, lilly-white state of Utah develop such hostility?

xrayzebra
12-30-2009, 03:59 PM

Obama did what?

Damn you are dumb as a doorknob. Obama did nothing in regards to
secret service. Good God, these are the idiots that voted for the other
idiot. Obama.

GGA: "Let's sum this up.

Today we have people defending the scumbag...."

Hey dummy the war had already been declared. He just put troops in
Iraq to enforce the UN's 14 or so mandates. And all the dimm-o-craps
couldn't crawl on board fast enough. In fact they demanded two votes
on it and all the anti-war crowd voted to put our troops in there. Maybe
you need to go back and read a little recent history.

damn, now I know why I don't post in here more often. Dumbass
no nothings.

By the way, you gonna blame Bush for Yemen? Yeah, you will.

Winehole23
12-30-2009, 04:01 PM
The unanimity of our two big government/big business parties didn't make it a good idea, nor does it moot criticism of the war and the wisdom of going to war after the fact.

Marcus Bryant
12-30-2009, 04:03 PM
In many respects, Americans are demanding consumers. So how'd we end up with politicians like these?

balli
12-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Obama did nothing in regards to secret service.
Fuck you.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/07/21/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry5177217.shtml
An extension of Secret Service protection for former vice president Dick Cheney – authorized by President Obama – officially went into effect this week, CBSNews.com has confirmed.

It is standard for taxpayers to pay for six months of Secret Service protection for former vice presidents. Cheney requested an extension of that protection, however, and the president granted his request.

Damn you are dumb as a doorknob.

SouthernFried
12-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Cheney is one of...well...mebbe the only clear thinker in politics right now.

Winehole23
12-30-2009, 06:15 PM
You can have him.

DarrinS
12-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Is it really that surprising that Dick Cheney is crtical of Obama?

What should surprise you is when hardcore Obamabots like Maureen Dowd unload on Barry.

As the Nation’s Pulse Races, Obama Can’t Seem to Find His (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/30/opinion/30dowd.html)

I was walking through a deserted downtown on Christmas Eve with a friend, past the lonely, gray Treasury Building, past the snowy White House with no president inside.

“I hope the terrorists don’t think this is a good time to attack,” I said, looking protectively at the White House, which always looks smaller and more vulnerable and beautiful than you expect, no matter how often you see it up close.

I thought our guard might be down because of the holiday; now I realize our guard is down every day.

One thrilling thing about moving from W. to Barack Obama was that Obama seemed like an avatar of modernity.

W., Dick Cheney and Rummy kept ceaselessly dragging us back into the past. America seemed to have lost her ingenuity, her quickness, her man-on-the-moon bravura, her Bugs Bunny panache.

Were we clever and inventive enough to protect ourselves from the new breed of Flintstones-hardy yet Facebook-savvy terrorists?

W.’s favorite word was “resolute,” but despite gazillions spent and Cheney’s bluster, our efforts to shield ourselves seemed flaccid.

President Obama’s favorite word is “unprecedented,” as Carol Lee of Politico pointed out. Yet he often seems mired in the past as well, letting his hallmark legislation get loaded up with old-school bribes and pork; surrounding himself with Clintonites; continuing the Bushies’ penchant for secrecy and expansive executive privilege; doubling down in Afghanistan while acting as though he’s getting out; and failing to capitalize on snazzy new technology while agencies thumb through printouts and continue their old turf battles.

Even before a Nigerian with Al Qaeda links tried to blow up a Northwest Airlines jet headed to Detroit, travelers could see we had made no progress toward a technologically wondrous Philip K. Dick universe.

We seemed to still be behind the curve and reactive, patting down grannies and 5-year-olds, confiscating snow globes and lip glosses.

Instead of modernity, we have airports where security is so retro that taking away pillows and blankies and bathroom breaks counts as a great leap forward.

If we can’t catch a Nigerian with a powerful explosive powder in his oddly feminine-looking underpants and a syringe full of acid, a man whose own father had alerted the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria, a traveler whose ticket was paid for in cash and who didn’t check bags, whose visa renewal had been denied by the British, who had studied Arabic in Al Qaeda sanctuary Yemen, whose name was on a counterterrorism watch list, who can we catch?

We are headed toward the moment when screeners will watch watch-listers sashay through while we have to come to the airport in hospital gowns, flapping open in the back.

In a rare bipartisan success, House members tried to prevent the Transportation Security Administration from implementing full-body imaging as a screening tool at airports.

Just because Republicans helped lead the ban on better technology and opposed airport security spending doesn’t mean they’ll stop Cheneying the Democrats for subverting national security.

Congressman Pete Hoekstra of Michigan was weaselly enough to whack the president and “weak-kneed liberals” in his gubernatorial fund-raising letter.

Before he left for vacation, Obama tried to shed his Spock mien and juice up the empathy quotient on jobs. But in his usual inspiring/listless cycle, he once more appeared chilly in his response to the chilling episode on Flight 253, issuing bulletins through his press secretary and hitting the links. At least you have to seem concerned.

On Tuesday, Obama stepped up to the microphone to admit what Janet Napolitano (who learned nothing from an earlier Janet named Reno) had first tried to deny: that there had been “a systemic failure” and a “catastrophic breach of security.”

But in a mystifying moment that was not technically or emotionally reassuring, there was no live video and it looked as though the Obama operation was flying by the seat of its pants.

Given that every utterance of the president is usually televised, it was a throwback to radio days — just at the moment we sought reassurance that our security has finally caught up to “Total Recall.”

All that TV viewers heard, broadcast from a Marine base in Kaneohe Bay, was the president’s disembodied voice, talking about “deficiencies.”

Citing the attempt of the Nigerian’s father to warn U.S. authorities six months ago, the president intoned: “It now appears that weeks ago this information was passed to a component of our intelligence community but was not effectively distributed so as to get the suspect’s name on a no-fly list.”

In his detached way, Spock was letting us know that our besieged starship was not speeding into a safer new future, and that we still have to be scared.

Heck of a job, Barry.

ElNono
12-30-2009, 06:42 PM
This administration should be criticized. That's not the point.

xrayzebra
12-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Fuck you.

Well, you could only hope. But I cull who I sleep with.

Dear Leader signed a bill that he had
no choice but to sign. He didn't grant anything.

Crap, he isn't dictator in chief yet. And if it were to come up again
he would sign it. He may be an idiot but he isn't that stupid. He
will be an "X" in three more years, unless he can figure a way to
get his brown shirts out in force to keep him in power. And he is
going to need all the protection he can get. Especially in Chicago.:hat

Cry Havoc
12-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Cheney is one of...well...mebbe the only clear thinker in politics right now.

Translation: Thank you sir, may I have another?

ChumpDumper
12-30-2009, 09:34 PM
But Bush did figure it out.After how many years?

How many deaths?

George Gervin's Afro
12-30-2009, 10:39 PM
White House Takes on Cheney Over Criticism of Terror Response

FOXNews.com

The White House fired back Wednesday at Republican critics, particularly Dick Cheney, who have accused the administration of taking a light approach to fighting terrorism in the aftermath of the attempted attack on a Northwest Airlines flight.

printemailshare recommend (15) The White House fired back Wednesday at Republican critics, particularly Dick Cheney, who have accused the administration in the aftermath of an attempted jet attack of taking a light approach to fighting terrorism.

The former vice president had told Politico.com that Obama is "trying to pretend we are not at war" with terrorists and is endangering the country in the process. Cheney joined several other GOP officials in criticizing the administration's "low-key" response to the failed attempt to bomb a Northwest Airlines flight on Christmas Day.

But White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer accused Republicans Wednesday of trying to exploit the plot for political gain.

"It is telling that Vice President Cheney and others seem to be more focused on criticizing the administration than condemning the attackers. Unfortunately too many are engaged in the typical Washington game of pointing fingers and making political hay, instead of working together to find solutions to make our country safer," he wrote on the White House blog.

Pfeiffer said it "seems strangely off-key" for Cheney to be attacking Obama, accusing the Bush administration of taking the eye off the ball with the Iraq war. Pfeiffer said it was Obama who placed attention on hotspots like Yemen and Somalia, where new terror plots appear to be emerging.

The communications director also said nobody realizes the "hard reality" that the country is at war more than Obama.

"This president is not interested in bellicose rhetoric, he is focused on action. Seven years of bellicose rhetoric failed to reduce the threat from Al Qaeda and succeeded in dividing this country," Pfeiffer wrote. "There are numerous ... public statements that explicitly state we are at war. The difference is this: President Obama doesn't need to beat his chest to prove it, and -- unlike the last administration -- we are not at war with a tactic ('terrorism'), we at war with something that is tangible."

Though Obama waited the entire weekend to publicly comment on the attempted attack, and his secretary of homeland security initially claimed "the system worked," the president on Tuesday bluntly stated that a "systemic failure" allowed the suspect in the case to board a plane armed with explosives.

Obama has pledged a full review to determine what went wrong and how to fix it.

boutons_deux
12-31-2009, 10:16 AM
dubya took a week to respond publicly to the shoe bomber, and then put him in a US prison (not Guantanamo).

No outcry from Repugs, hate media, and conservatives back then.

George Gervin's Afro
12-31-2009, 10:19 AM
dubya took a week to respond publicly to the shoe bomber, and then put him in a US prison (not Guantanamo).

No outcry from Repugs, hate media, and conservatives back then.

the obama haters already acknowledge that they are unabashed hypocrites...

Winehole23
12-31-2009, 12:33 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/23st76b.gif

EmptyMan
12-31-2009, 01:45 PM
lol, Mr. Penguin strikes again!

Winehole23
12-31-2009, 01:55 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/chris_perry_/001.jpg

Winehole23
12-31-2009, 01:56 PM
http://api.ning.com/files/7ewX3kkgg-9E03Y3KbsTHr1Ksl-QZOS-NVzaCOQWNgIUxj7j0pjPF3OD67zhht*P3pHriSBopZcuMoSLX5 BOEYBK9Z4sS0wS/shakenorstirredMrPenguin.jpg

Winehole23
12-31-2009, 01:57 PM
http://games.dork.com/pictures/1/97-ww3cf-250.gif

Winehole23
12-31-2009, 01:58 PM
http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/images/N454.jpg

balli
12-31-2009, 02:23 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2123/2343761725_184aeb33f5.jpg?v=0

Winehole23
12-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Have you switched to whisky in your cornflakes, balli? Your hostility level has been off the charts lately.

balli
12-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Have you switched to whisky in your cornflakes, balli? Your hostility level has been off the charts lately.

I don't drink, but I did stop smoking weed. Temporarily. Which probably has something to do with it.

I didn't mean it as a hostile act towards you. It's just, Cheney isn't a warm cuddly penguin. He's a diseased and rotting penguin whose carcass is still managing to stink up the debate.

MannyIsGod
12-31-2009, 02:52 PM
In many respects, Americans are demanding consumers. So how'd we end up with politicians like these?

Obviously flat screen TVs are more important than the people who govern the country. Obama hasn't even reached Jon and Kate level yet.

boutons_deux
12-31-2009, 06:44 PM
"how'd we end up with politicians like these"

it takes an asshole to want to play the dirty game of politics, and they must get past the party professionals and kingmakers, all corrupted by corporate and capitalist money.

the choices offered in elections aren't choices that are going to change anything, certainly not change that the corps don't want.

Democracy has failed in America to be of,for,by the people. Conservative bullshit principles like cut taxes dramatically, free market/business friendly are majorly guilty of handing control of America to the corps.

EVAY
12-31-2009, 10:31 PM
How is it that any of the Board Conservatives in this forum can stand behind a guy who hid behind a woman's skirts? I'm serious, man. When Dick Cheney was added to the Republican ticket with W. on it in 2000 I was glad because I thought he was a thoughtful, experienced guy. I was very, very, very wrong.

When Cheney accidentally shot his buddy a few years ago, what was his response? He shut himself up in his room and sent his HOSTESS out to deal with the press!!!! Now THAT is the mark of a man. I actually felt sorry for him after I heard about the shooting because I thought how badly he must feel. But then I lost any thought of ever thinking a positive thought about Dick Cheney ever again. The man is a moral midget. He is a coward who hides behind a woman's skirts and sends her out to 'do battle' with the press corps. Dear God, how can anyone imagine that this man has any right to opine about the spine of any other human being? What a chickenshit!!!

Now he actually tries to accuse the current administration of 'less than vigorous' pursuit of war. He showed what his mettle is. He is below a snail.
He should crawl into a hole and pull it in after himself. He didn't even go before the public media until after Bush told him he HAD to, and then it was only to FOX. What a pussy!!

How do any of you guys, the SnC, the WCs, etc., how do you defend him, much less tout him as worth listening to about anything?