PDA

View Full Version : The Powerful and the Vulnerable of the NFL

FoxPerez
12-30-2009, 04:52 PM
http://tinyurl.com/ya4gel8As the playoffs loom, the powerful teams that have dominated most of the year in the NFL seem the most vulnerable. And, as strange as it sounds, the hottest team going into the playoffs could be... the Cowboys? Read about it here...

If you enjoy the article, help a blogger out and click on this link:
http://tinyurl.com/ya4gel8 (http://tinyurl.com/ya4gel8)

If you thought what was going to happen in the playoffs a week or two ago, you'd better start thinking again.
http://www.cocktailmatch.com/users/156/blog/Tampa%201.jpg
New Orleans, the undefeated team going for the undefeated season, has lost two games in a row. Indianapolis, the undefeated team settling for a first round bye, is resting it's players and will be distracted and rusty going into the playoffs. Minnesota, thought to be the most balanced and dangerous team in the NFC, is steeped in controversy involving Brett Favre's relationship with Brad Childress. They've lost three of their last four and now the other first round bye in the NFC is up for grabs.

It's getting pretty ridiculous. Two weeks ago, we would've easily predicted that the Saints-Vikings winner would play the Colts-Chargers winner in the Super Bowl. But now the winner of the Eagles-Cowboys game will be the hottest team going into the playoffs in the NFL with the Chargers.
And don't forget about the Cardinals. If the Vikings and Eagles lose, they'll get the first round bye and will get a chance to recreate their hot streak that got them to the Super Bowl last year. It's quite ironic that the team suffering from a hangover from last year's big game is the defending champion Pittsburgh Steelers, who need to win in Miami and get help just to grab a wild card spot in what should be a crazy finish in the AFC.

The Dolphins need the most help among AFC teams. They need to beat Pittsburgh, then hope that the Jets (vs Bengals), Ravens (at Raiders), Texans (vs Patriots), and Jaguars (at Browns) all lose. It seems like a long shot, but it's happened before, and recently. In 2006, The Kansas City Chiefs needed to win in the final week and have four other teams lose to get into the playoffs... and they made it, giving the eventual Super Bowl champ Colts a scare in round 1.

But the concern has to be at the top, particularly with the Indianapolis Colts.
http://www.cocktailmatch.com/users/156/blog/Peyton%20Manning%20vs%20NYJ.jpg
Albert Einstein said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. But it doesn't take an Einstein to know that the Colts are insane.

I can only recall two teams that have succesfully rested players and managed minutes for an extended amount of time going into the playoffs and turned that into a championship: the San Antonio Spurs and Los Angeles Lakers. It only works in basketball because the playoffs are so long that it diminishes how meaningful the regular season is. It doesn't work in football, and all the Colts have to do is look in the mirror.

Every year that the Colts have rested their starters at the end of the season, they failed to advance to the Super Bowl and only once advanced to the conference championship game. The year that they played all the way through week 17, they won the Super Bowl.
http://www.cocktailmatch.com/users/156/blog/Colts%20sideline%20vs%20NYJ.jpg
So naturally... they're resting their starters? Even the ones without injuries like Peyton Manning.

This creates a major problem, though. The fans feel betrayed and disappointed and the team now has an attitude that it can't shake. The Colts on the sidelines, including Manning, did not look like a team with a championship attitude. But that's what happens when you don't play to win. As a result, when you consider that Indy has a first round bye, the Colts will have gone nearly a month without playing a full competitive game when they play their first playoff game. What if that's against the Patriots, who weren't playing as well at the beginning of the season and still nearly won that game in Indy? Sure, if they can get passed that first game, the strategy could pay off, but the last three times the Colts have rested their starters like this, they failed to win a playoff game that season.
http://www.cocktailmatch.com/users/156/blog/Cowboys%20D%20vs%20Washington.jpg
The team that could be really scary going into the playoffs is the Dallas Cowboys, which is an odd statement considering where they were a mere two weeks ago going into their game against New Orleans. The offense is putting things together and the defense continues to carry the team. In fact, the defense has only really played two bad games this season and both were against the New York Giants, who have been eliminated from playoff contention.

Here's all you need to know about the Cowboys D: Dallas only lost one game by more than 7 points, and that was a 10-point loss to the Packers, who were held to a season-low 17 points in that game.

So the D insn't the problem. What needs to be fixed is the overly conservative play-calling in short yardage situations.
http://www.cocktailmatch.com/users/156/blog/Felix%20Jones%20vs%20Washington.jpg
Whatever Marion Barber has had in the past that's allowed him to be reliable when he just needs a yard or two, it's not there anymore. He doesn't have the burst that allows him to bounce outside like he has in the past and injuries this season have hampered his power. He's not getting old, he's just hurt and they've had to deal with it all season. Dallas needs to take the load off him and put the ball in the hands of Felix Jones and Tashard Choice more.

They're doing that more now that Jones is getting healthy. He averaged nearly 6 yards per carry in 10 attempts against Washington. In New Orleans he had more than 4 yards per carry in 14 rushes.

A strong defensive performance and running game will be required against Philadelphia. Romo will also need to be on his game if this becomes a shootout because the Dallas secondary will have its hands full and the Eagles have been susceptible to allowing big plays in the passing game.

If they can get it done, they'll be guaranteed at least one home playoff game... and they'll be the hottest team heading into the posteason.

Not bad for a team that wasn't expected to make the playoffs.

samikeyp
12-30-2009, 05:46 PM
That is nice but they could still get skull fucked by Philly with a loss then have to turn around and play them again in Philly.

Whisky Dog
12-30-2009, 07:01 PM
That is nice but they could still get skull fucked by Philly with a loss then have to turn around and play them again in Philly.

With the Vikings loss to the Bears the Cowboys would not play Philly in the WC game if they lose Sunday because Philly would get the 2 spot and the Bye with a win.

Whisky Dog
12-30-2009, 07:03 PM
If the Cowboys beat Philly then it all depends on what the Cardinals and Vikings do to determine the WC matchups. If both lose the Cowboys get the 2 spot and a bye. Arizona is playing GB and the Vikes the Giants so it's definitely possible the Cowboys are also playing for the 2 spot as well as the division crown and a home playoff game.

Dr. Gonzo
12-31-2009, 01:23 AM
Written by Cowboys homers, for Cowboys homers.

Hook Dem
12-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Written by Cowboys homers, for Cowboys homers.

Says the Texans homer!

Dr. Gonzo
12-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Says the Texans homer!

I'm a fan, not a homer. There is a huge difference.

J.T.
12-31-2009, 03:23 PM
:lmao

I expect big media to trumpet stories about how the Colts resting people is going to hurt them in the playoffs, but usually small-time bloggers have much smarter sports takes than big media talking heads.

The Colts went into the playoffs on a nine game streak last year and didn't even win their first game. In 2005, Dungy's son's suicide definitely destroyed the team's rhythm. In 2007, Freeney being on IR with Mathis and Brock playing with injuries that should've sidelined them was what killed the Colts. Any other time the Colts have gone into the playoffs with rest, they've at least won their first game.

People who buy into this bullshit that rest is killing the Colts in the playoffs are higher than me on any given Saturday. They base this crap on two very specific circumstances with perfectly acceptable reasons.

FoxPerez
12-31-2009, 11:24 PM
1. I'm not a Cowboys fan, I'm a Dolphins fan... which is why I get specific about the Dolphins playoffs chances.
2. You can't tell me that after taking three full weeks off from playing a competitive football game that even the best team in the NFL will be just as sharp as they were midseason when they were playing their best. You'll see some teams resting their players on Sunday because they don't have a bye and want to give some of their players a break. The Colts simply TANKED it for the sake of tanking it, pulling guys that weren't even hurt like Manning. The disruption of rhythm has already proven itself in the past and affect on the team psyche was evident in the 2nd half of their game against the Jets. A team that went on to win the Super Bowl has NEVER benched it's healthy players for more than two weeks (including a bye) going into their first playoff game.

J.T.
01-01-2010, 02:09 PM
The Colts have absolutely skull fucked teams after wholesale resting before the playoffs. The two times it has failed them has been because they had people injured already, clearly something that had nothing to do with the people who did play. And get your mind around the fact that the first time they lost after resting was because their coach's son killed himself. That kind of personal tragedy would derail any team's focus.

Once again, people who believe in this rest kills your momentum bullshit ignore the facts and just look at the W-L column. It's bad analysis and makes you look like you make shitty football takes. Just saying.

A team that went on to win the Super Bowl has NEVER benched it's healthy players for more than two weeks (including a bye) going into their first playoff game.

I'll disprove this later but you're wrong and I don't have time to go through 43 Super Bowls to count the number of teams who have done it with two weeks of rest. Healthy Colts played for two and a half quarters last week. You're fucking dumb if you count that as three "whole" weeks off. If I'm not mistaken they practiced and played last week. But that counts as a week off for them because the Colts management is retarded. Cool. Gotcha. I'll edit my notes. Thanks for the update.

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm a fan, not a homer. There is a huge difference.
You're not a Texans fan as much as you are a Cowboys hater...half the media is saying Dallas could be playing the best football in the league right now..and you're calling him/her a homer for writing it like everyone else? Nice..

J.T.
01-01-2010, 04:12 PM
You're not a Texans fan as much as you are a Cowboys hater...half the media is saying Dallas could be playing the best football in the league right now..and you're calling him/her a homer for writing it like everyone else? Nice..

Dallas is being overrated by a lot of people for beating New Orleans. That's really all it is. It's like Cowboy fans thinking they won Super Bowl XLI because they beat the Colts in the regular season that year.

samikeyp
01-01-2010, 04:27 PM
I think its a combonation of things.

Yes, there are certain people (some of which are on this board) will never, EVER give Dallas credit for anything. Tony Romo could run into a burning building, save 3 kids, 2 old ladies and a dog...put out the fire with his bare hands, repair the building and cure AIDS and there will be some who say "well, it took him long enough" hey, that is just reality...if you don't like people who do that then this is not the place for you.

Conversely, there are people (some of which are on this board) who take every Cowboy victory as an order for another SB ring. That is just reality, if you don't like that...then this is also not the place for you.

The media is another animal. Even as diehard as I am, I thought the attention paid to the Saints win as it pertained to the "December/January Curse" was over the top. It was a great win and I personally think it was the biggest in Romo's tenure as QB but all that did was raise this years December record to 1-2. If they didn't beat Washington, it would have meant nothing and if they get frogstomped by Philly, they still are only 2-3 in Dec/Jan and until Dallas wins a playoff game, its all irrelevant. Like it or not, Dallas is news. Whether they are winning or losing, they are always a story...fair or not, its true. Nobody HAS to like or hate the Cowboys...they do either because they want to. If you are anti-Dallas and don't like the attention or if you are pro-Dallas and don't like the "haters" you have two choices....look beyond it or join a gardening message board because its not going away.

:toast

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Dallas is being overrated by a lot of people for beating New Orleans. That's really all it is. It's like Cowboy fans thinking they won Super Bowl XLI because they beat the Colts in the regular season that year.
I don't know any Cowboys fans that believe they won that SB because they beat the Colts that year..that's retarded. You can't knock Dallas for beating New Orleans, a feat no one had done to that point, and shutting out the Skins, a team that had started to show a spark...but somehow, haters will find a way.

J.T.
01-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Yeah you can. New Orleans was overrated as fuck. The only reason they were getting so much buzz is because the Saints aren't used to winning this much, so it's a big deal to the media. The Colts have won 12+ games for seven straight years now, so them being undefeated was no big deal. The Saints were mother fucking overrated. Not saying that means they're a bad team, they're still pretty good to get to 13-0. But pretty much everyone had them ranked ahead of Indy, which obviously hindsight shows us they're not.

I'm not saying your Cowboys are bad. Obviously they made the playoffs. But anyone suggesting they are the hottest or strongest team going into the playoffs is a fucking moron. They beat the Saints when they needed to. Good for them. That's all I see.

SpuronyourFace
01-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Hmmm, don't really know how you can overrate a 13-0 undefeated team, but a hater will find a way to.

But I always thought all season long that the Colts were the better team. Saints are reeling and Sean Payton cannot stop it.

And the hottest team right now is San Diego bar none. I hope to see another Colts-Chargers matchup this year. Should be fun.

FoxPerez
01-01-2010, 09:15 PM
You can't argue that players playing for 2.5 quarters is the same as playing to win in a full game. That's why I keep saying that the Colts will go into the playoffs without playing a full competitive game in a month.

Ever find that team that rested it's starters like that and won the Super Bowl? Didn't think so. The Colts will be the first, otherwise we'd know about that team.

And stop calling me out on the Chargers over the Cowboys being the hottest team. If you'd actually READ the article instead of just the tease (like judging a movie based on the trailer), you'd see that I wrote this:

"... now the winner of the Eagles-Cowboys game will be the hottest team going into the playoffs in the NFL with the Chargers."

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Yeah you can. New Orleans was overrated as fuck. The only reason they were getting so much buzz is because the Saints aren't used to winning this much, so it's a big deal to the media. The Colts have won 12+ games for seven straight years now, so them being undefeated was no big deal. The Saints were mother fucking overrated. Not saying that means they're a bad team, they're still pretty good to get to 13-0. But pretty much everyone had them ranked ahead of Indy, which obviously hindsight shows us they're not.

I'm not saying your Cowboys are bad. Obviously they made the playoffs. But anyone suggesting they are the hottest or strongest team going into the playoffs is a fucking moron. They beat the Saints when they needed to. Good for them. That's all I see.
13-0 cannot be overrated, JT..sorry bro. Dallas came out and played great against a great team. I know nobody who had New Orleans ranked ahead of Indy...that would be a crime. The Cowboys are playing good right now, and are hot as shit...they're finally playing well at the right time.