PDA

View Full Version : Spurs, Mavs in Deep Trouble by Chad Ford

Amuseddaysleeper
04-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Home-court disadvantage

Here's another reason that the regular season is overrated. You fight all year to get home-court advantage in the playoffs and within 48 minutes it evaporates into nothing.
The Spurs' loss on Sunday to the Nuggets was flat-out stunning. They had only lost three games all season at home and now find themselves in a terrible predicament -- they have to win one in Denver.

The only team that has been better at home than the Spurs this year is the Nuggets. Yes, they lost 10 games at home this season. But since George Karl took over the team they've lost a total of one home game -- a 106-101 loss to Phoenix on March 28.

The Nuggets are the only team in the league with a true physical home-court advantage. Teams get tired running in the mile-high air and Karl takes advantage of it. The Nuggets push the pace much harder at home, and by about midway through the third quarter, teams are out of gas.

The last time the Spurs played the Nuggets in Denver, on April 1, was a great example. The team went 7-for-22 in the fourth quarter and went nearly seven minutes without scoring a bucket from field. Granted, the team was without Tim Duncan, but this seems to be a general trend, regardless of who the Nuggets are playing.

The Nuggets home-court advantage may end up affecting Duncan more than anyone else. He's clearly not 100 percent right now. Duncan played 35 minutes on Sunday, seven more than he had in a month, and clearly was out of gas at the end, going 0-for-7 from the field in the fourth -- and that was in San Antonio.

It's way too early to write the Spurs off, but for those who were laughing when we predicted this might be the best first-round series in the playoffs, you might want to get serious. I picked the Spurs over the Nuggets for one reason -- the team just didn't lose at home.

Now that they've lost, the odds don't look so good. The Spurs were a very pedestrian 21-20 on the road this season. Against the other seven Western Conference playoff teams, they won exactly five of 14 games all season on the road.

The Mavericks' situation isn't quite as bad. The loss stings, but the Mavs were the second-best road team in the NBA this season, going 29-12.

But here's where the win hurts for the Mavs. Dallas has a rookie running the team from the sidelines and a rookie running the team on the court. Avery Johnson coached his first playoff game and starting point guard Jason Terry, along with back-up Devin Harris, played in their first playoff game ever on Saturday.

The Mavs' defense may be better than it was. Their future might be brighter. Their cap space more manageable. But this is the time of the year when the Mavs will miss Steve Nash the most.

They need someone with some experience to calm the team down both in the locker room and on the floor.

On Saturday it didn't happen. Johnson had to be restrained from physically going after referee Joey Crawford after the final buzzer sounded -- only to later admit that the officiating didn't have much to do with the final outcome. On the other side of the scorers' table, Jeff Van Gundy, the veteran of more than 70 playoff games, is as steady as you're going to get from a head coach.

Terry was efficient offensively, but had more turnovers than assists on Saturday. His Rockets' counterpart, Mike James, is no playoff star. But he does have a World Championship ring on his finger (albeit in spot duty for the Pistons last season) and stepped up huge for the Rockets on Saturday night.

The Mavericks still have the talent to come back and win this series. But without Nash or Don Nelson on the sidelines, I wonder whether they have the leadership.
posted: April 25, 2005 5:44:14 AM PDT | Feedback

mouse
04-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Way to man up, and give the Mighty Mavericks their Props.
I will save you a seat on the 2005 NBA Championship wagon my friend.
http://www.boomspeed.com/woaimouse/Mouses-mojo.jpg

Amuseddaysleeper
04-25-2005, 01:13 PM
haha, i didnt write that article, chad ford did, but i do feel the spurs are in more trouble than the mavs are. and i am no mavs fan but i wlll admit....the team i fear the most in this years playoffs is dallas

G-Nob
04-25-2005, 01:15 PM
Did you hear? Dirk has a new nickname in Dallas: T-Mac's B****

mouse
04-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Did you hear? Dirk has a new nickname in Dallas: T-Mac's B****

If that is true? I hate to think what McGrady calls half your team :lmao

Amuseddaysleeper
04-25-2005, 03:00 PM
damn, ouch!

GrandeDavid
04-25-2005, 03:05 PM
That is a surprising road record for the Spurs, but then again, Duncan missed lots of games this season. Lots.

angel_luv
04-25-2005, 03:15 PM
No worries! We will prevail! Believe, people! Can I get an amen??? =)

" If you falter in times of trouble, how small is your strength!" ( Proverb 24:10)