PDA

View Full Version : Salmons Available

12-30-2009, 05:48 PM
But Mike McGraw adds another wrinkle: Chicago might be interested in moving John Salmons(notes) to guarantee a larger amount of cap space next summer. (I love the "might." It's John Salmons for crying out loud.) He's owed $6.5 million next season but has an option to terminate the deal and become a free agent.

Of course, the odds of this happening are minuscule. Unless Isiah Thomas lands another GM job, no one in their right mind is going to give Salmons more than $6.5 million to play basketball next season.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Rumor-Bulls-are-open-to-acquiring-Tracy-McGrady;_ylt=AnFKzbhpqzeCeJI1iFLkTQq8vLYF?urn=nba, 211222

worth finley + mason? i've wanted him on the spurs since he was available on the kings. honestly, as good as mason has been playing lately, i would not want him guarding melo or kobe in the playoffs. and bogans may or may not have sufficient offense to justify his time on the court. spurs defense would breathe a lot easier with salmons starting at the 2. his defense is just as good if not better than bogans'. he's also possesses more size and offense.

the thing is that mason's stock is climbing and salmon's stock is at an all time low. but salmons is obviously not a second or third option as he is expected to be on the bulls. without gordon, the bulls were forced to rely more on salmons. i think he'll be able to regain his effectiveness once he becomes the fourth/fifth option again. the only trade off is that there's no guarantee salmons can achieve his 08-09 3pt% of 41%.

TDMVPDPOY
12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
the question is, are the bulls still in the run to make the playoffs this season?

if not, then they should trade for our trash.....

SenorSpur
12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Personally, I wanted the Spurs to land this guy, two seasons ago, when he was being dangled by the Kings at the Feb trade deadline. Instead the Spurs ended up landing Kurt Thomas.

I say do it.

ffadicted
12-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Now that Mason is hot we wanna get rid of him? How about Finley Bonner :)

DPG21920
12-30-2009, 06:15 PM
With the way Mason is playing, no way do I move him for Salmons. Salmons is a better all around scorer, but Mason is a much better 3-PT shooter and the Spurs need that.

12-30-2009, 06:17 PM
the question is, are the bulls still in the run to make the playoffs this season?

if not, then they should trade for our trash.....
bulls desperately need three point shooters. the only somewhat effective shooter they have is kirk hinrich at 35%. deng shoots at a good rate but isn't taking much of them. some added 3pt offense + mcgrady might help them to the playoffs.

Now that Mason is hot we wanna get rid of him? How about Finley Bonner :)
as bad as this sounds, spurs need bonner right now. with haislip and mahinmi buried on the IR list, they need versatility in the frontcourt and that includes bonner. my opinion of bonner changed when i watched him play live. he tries very hard and would be a good bench player.

mountainballer
12-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Mason+Fin
Fin+Bonner
Mason+Bonner
Mason+Bogans+Ian
Fin+Bogans+Rat+Ian
whatever package of expirings it takes, I would do it. and if it takes a pick, trow it in. (even the 2011 1st rounder)
Salmons numbers are down, but he would still bring some qualities the Spurs back court desperately needs. his defense was ok, also this season. (outside his not falling 3 point shot), he would be the perfect 3rd wing behind Manu and RJ, he could play with either and he would also look good in a big line up with both on the floor (and neither Tony or Hill). he isn't a Kobe or Melo stopper, but a far better option to guard them, than all what we currently have.
Spurs wanted him last deadline (reportedly they made an offer for him before they made the Camby offer), I don't think they totally changed their mind about him.
I would really like a JR-Manu-Salmons-Mason wing rotation.
but JR-Manu-Salmons-Bogans or JR-Manu-Salmons-Finley looks good as well.

anonoftheinternets
12-30-2009, 06:20 PM
salmons would have been a jefferson replacement. I think im happier with RJ, considering salmons is distracted this year with personal issues. Plus I still feel RJ is a better player.

JP le Requin
12-30-2009, 06:36 PM
did you know it was spurs who drafted him?

DPG21920
12-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Spurs have spacing issues as is and Salmons would just make that worse. Not to mention he needs the ball quite a bit to be effective. Overall he is certainly a better player than Mason, but the Spurs need what Mason brings. He is not even a better defender than Mason imo.

12-30-2009, 06:38 PM
i'm more after salmons' defense and versatility. he can play and guard some SF as well as SG. can definitely compliment jefferson or ginobili, depending who he's paired up with. he wouldn't force ginobili into paying small forward like bogans, hill, or mason.

DAF86
12-30-2009, 06:45 PM
The Spurs need a bigman that can block shots and rebound the ball.

dbestpro
12-30-2009, 06:54 PM

Actually, they need a bigman that can block shots and rebound the ball that Pop will let play.

anonoftheinternets
12-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Actually, they need a bigman that can block shots and rebound the ball that Pop will let play.

And who is this mystery person? theo who has been relegated to mutumbo on houston status (maybe rightly so), or mahinmi/hasilip who have been deemed unfit to play by the coaching staff from just watching practice.

Chomag
12-30-2009, 07:05 PM

Nah, we would just get another soft big that can shoot the 3s since so many think a big needs to be a outside shooter above anything else. :lol

I agree though, I think missing this will be exploited more as we play good teams. I'll say again, when in the playoffs and teams have stepped up their level of defence the open 3's will be few and far between, making a outside shooting big a bit ineffective. Take away that from a player such as Bonner there isn't much else he would give you on the floor.

Chomag
12-30-2009, 07:06 PM
And who is this mystery person? theo who has been relegated to mutumbo on houston status (maybe rightly so), or mahinmi/hasilip who have been deemed unfit to play by the coaching staff from just watching practice.

There are alot of options out there but they couldn't be had for free of course.

HarlemHeat37
12-30-2009, 07:15 PM
pass..I'd rather use the expiring contracts for a big TBH..

if Mason plays like he has been, I'm fine with our wing rotation..

spursfan1000
12-30-2009, 07:52 PM
I like how Mason is doing right now, and it would take a while for Salmons to get used to our system so I would say pass...maybe if we traded Bonner and Finley it would work out.

exstatic
12-30-2009, 08:00 PM
did you know it was spurs who drafted him?

Technically, yes. The reality is they were dumping the pick, but you never trade the pick, you work a deal, pick the player the other team wants, and then trade the player. It's a technicality. You can't trade the actual pick two years in a row, so if you're doing a draft day deal, you do it that way to keep flexibility for an in season trade the next year.

Philadelphia was on the phone, and when it got to our pick, they said to pick Salmons. While it was our pick, it was Philly's selection. Same deal with PHO and the Barbosa pick/trade.

spurspokesman
12-30-2009, 08:01 PM

Agree. I would of rather had him if we didn't get jefferson first but that's not the case. He hands down is a tougher player than rj and embraces challenges. The spurs need toughness and grit ie blair. But he is not a need. I'm on the go get camby train. Overall I'm happy. At least the fo is trying.

TIMMYD!
12-30-2009, 08:11 PM
We would be fucking terrifying with Marcus Camby. But it's impossible.

Spursfan 87
12-30-2009, 08:19 PM
I think we need a starting 2 guard. Bogans is good on D but he's not Bowen, and he's not a treat on offense, that's why we always start slow on the first and third quarters. If we can get this guy without including mason on the deal I'm all for it.

HarlemHeat37
12-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Bogans isn't really our actual "starter" though, Manu plays when it's most important..

Another big should really be the priority here..it would mask the defensive problems we would have when we have a Parker-Ginobili backcourt, while allowing us to retain our high-octane offense..

it's me
12-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Manu for Salmons straight up.

Spursfan 87
12-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Bogans isn't really our actual "starter" though, Manu plays when it's most important..

Another big should really be the priority here..it would mask the defensive problems we would have when we have a Parker-Ginobili backcourt, while allowing us to retain our high-octane offense..

I know, but Bogans should not start those slow starts are killing us against good team. Also I dont want Mason to start either, because he got no defense.

Speaking of bigs my choice is Haywood.

SenorSpur
12-30-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm going to amend my earlier thought.

I like what Mason is bringing. I don't want to part with him now.

I do like Salmons and he can help. But only if the Spurs can't pry Rudy Gay away from the Grizz and as long as it doesn't involve Mace.

HarlemHeat37
12-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Gay would be nice, but there's no way the Lakers allow their D-league team to give us one of their stars..

SenorSpur
12-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Gay would be nice, but there's no way the Lakers allow their D-league team to give us one of their stars..

:lol

Gay is and should be the preferred FA target - specifically because his RFA status is so tenuous in Memphis.

DPG21920
12-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Why would the Spurs get Gay when they have RJ? Also, why would Memphis let him go?

The Truth #6
12-30-2009, 08:56 PM

Harlem,

You say this even after your back-breaking statistical research on the weakness of our guards?

The Truth #6
12-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Also,

Rudy Gay is sort of an idiot, right? Besides, can't see him passing the essay test after the physical.

Chieflion
12-30-2009, 09:04 PM
:lol

Gay is and should be the preferred FA target - specifically because his RFA status is so tenuous in Memphis.
Ask Memphis fans, they have no idea what to do to keep him. The Grizzlies offered him an extension about 10 million per year. He turned it down and thinks he is worth more. You show him the MLE, he will think it is an insult. When teams like Minny have capspace come 2010, they are projected to be able to sign a max FA, they will tend to miss out on the LeBrons, Wades, and Boshs of the world. They will redirect their interest to Rudy Gay and possibly outbid the Grizzlies who do not want to overpay to keep their player.

crc21209
12-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Finley & Bogans, cash, pick, whatever else for Salmons...do it :tu

crc21209
12-30-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm going to amend my earlier thought.

I like what Mason is bringing. I don't want to part with him now.

I do like Salmons and he can help. But only if the Spurs can't pry Rudy Gay away from the Grizz and as long as it doesn't involve Mace.

Do you really think the Grizz would let Gay go? But at what price....

hater
12-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Salmonds would help us definitely. He is like a Stephen Jackson type player.

no way spurs are giving up Bogans or Mason though

quentin_compson
12-31-2009, 04:44 AM
Salmons is a good allround-player and definitely a much better defender than Mason Jr.
But he would need to have the ball in his hands a lot more than Roger, and his three isn't as good. I also remember him being unhappy about not getting enough shots back when he was in Sacramento (granted, it was only the Kings, but still).

kobyz
12-31-2009, 07:28 AM
are you serious? you prefer Mason over Salmons?!?!

if we could do Mason, Finley + first round draft pick for Salmons that will be fantastic, we improve our defense and our offense, not sure if Bulls will agree tho.

silverblackfan
12-31-2009, 08:27 AM
I like Salmons, but I do prefer Mason over him at this point. Mason's D has been improving a lot since the start of the season. In fact, he clearly is better at attacking the basket, dribbling and making assists this year. Add in his IQ and knowledge of the system and it is better to keep him on the wing.
Now if you could package up Finely, I could live with that. :lol

kobyz
12-31-2009, 09:18 AM
you overrated Mason too much

mountainballer
12-31-2009, 10:11 AM

many here do so.
two decent games and they want him extended for 3 years on the MLE.
3 decent games and people almost discuss him be an all star.
great guy and when his shot is on, he can hit it with the best. that's it.
when he is cold, he is a 3rd stringer, if not a D-league guy.

Spursfan 87
12-31-2009, 11:45 AM

:tu

FeZZy
12-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Can we just keep Mason the only thing the Bulls want is cap relief...

FeZZy
12-31-2009, 04:52 PM
Matt Bonner, Finley and Ian for Salmons we would be 12 guys deep or even more