PDA

View Full Version : Spurs fans could miss 34 games on Fox

Spurs Brazil
12-30-2009, 10:37 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_fans_could_miss_games_on_Fox.html

By René A. Guzman - Express-News The battle between Time Warner Cable Inc. and Fox television over programming costs could leave some Spurs fans with one less channel for games in 2010.

Time Warner ran a full-page ad in Wednesday's Express-News warning that Fox “has threatened to pull the plug on Time Warner Cable customers” at midnight New Year's Eve. A list of cable channels at risk in the area includes Fox Sports Southwest.

According to the Spurs schedule at the team's official Web site, Fox Sports Southwest will carry 34 Spurs games in 2010 through the remainder of the regular season.

If a deal is not reached before the end of New Year's Eve, Time Warner customers will lose access to some Fox programming. The first 2010 Spurs game on Fox Sports Southwest is Saturday against the Washington Wizards.

“We are still negotiating but we're not optimistic we will reach a deal by January 1,” said Fox spokesman Chris Bellitti. “Spurs fans who are Time Warner customers should begin making alternative plans to see the games.”

In a Dec. 19 Express-News report, Time Warner spokesman Jon Gary Herrera said the dispute affects mostly Fox-owned and -operated stations. Herrera noted that San Antonio Fox affiliate KABB, which is owned by the Sinclair Broadcast Group, has an agreement with Time Warner that extends through next year.

Time Warner CEO Glenn Britt said in a letter to Sen. John Kerry (D-Massachusetts), that the company would accept binding arbitration to resolve the dispute. Kerry wrote to Time Warner Dec. 22 encouraging the companies to strike a deal. He suggested they consider going to arbitration rather than letting consumers lose access to programming.

If Fox doesn't submit to arbitration, Time Warner would like to enter into an interim agreement which would allow it to continue carrying Fox programs, including football games on New Year's Day and beyond, Britt wrote.

KMYS, KSAT and KENS, as well as ESPN, TNT and NBA TV, also broadcast Spurs games and are not affected by the Time Warner/Fox dispute.

Bloomberg contributed to this report.

Dex
12-30-2009, 10:41 PM
O_O

I'm not sure why I didn't really think about Fox Sports with all this Fox/TW hub-bub, but hotdamn. That will be a real pain in the ass if any of the FSN lineup is missed. That's like a half the games.

Time Warner and Fox need to stop being big babies and figure it out. Fox wants $1 per subscriber, TW wants $0.50. They need to draw the line at seventy-five cents and be done with the whole damn deal. Putting the customers in the middle of this little pissing feud is pathetic.

Then again, look at Verizon and AT&T. It seems to be the going trend.

Blackjack
12-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Dish, FTW.

crc21209
12-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Hopefully they come to a deal by midnight or at least the 1st. I remember Viacom and Time Warner were at odds last year around this time also and we were close to losing Nick, VH1, MTV, etc. but they eventually came to a deal by midnight...hopefully the same happens here..

Solid D
12-30-2009, 11:00 PM
What service is better in SA...AT&T U-verse or Dish? :ihit

The only way to keep TWC from their pattern of doing this with the various Broadcast companies...and it is a pattern.....is for customers to cancel.

Spursmania
12-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Time Warner is a rip. I changed to dish network this year and it's a hell of a lot better (more HD channels), and I'm paying half of what I was paying with TW.

murpjf88
12-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Didn't this same shit happen a couple of years ago. I don't think it will happen. If Fox ever pulled the plug on time Warner, they would lose a tons of subscribers nationwide. Fox is the most watched network.

ElNono
12-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Dish, FTW.

Dish has it's own shenanigans... Here in NJ they're the only tv provider that does not carry YES, because they say it's too expensive. But YES contracts with the other providers automatically goes void if they sell the rights for any cheaper than what they currently sell them for. This has been going on for years (almost a decade IIRC). So whenever the Spurs play in NJ, unless it's on TNT or ESPN, there's no way to see the game (NBA League pass blacks out the game, and YES is not available).

Nathan Explosion
12-30-2009, 11:12 PM
My brothers have Dish Network and it seems to be working out for them. My apartment complex pays for my cable, so I can't complain, but it is Time Warner, so hopefully this gets worked out soon.

DPG21920
12-30-2009, 11:14 PM
This would be complete b.s.

If this happens I wonder if I could call Time Warner and get a refund for my league pass purchase.

Blackjack
12-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Dish has it's own shenanigans... Here in NJ they're the only tv provider that does not carry YES, because they say it's too expensive. But YES contracts with the other providers automatically goes void if they sell the rights for any cheaper than what they currently sell them for. This has been going on for years (almost a decade IIRC). So whenever the Spurs play in NJ, unless it's on TNT or ESPN, there's no way to see the game (NBA League pass blacks out the game, and YES is not available).

Maybe I should clarify: Dish, if you're in the SA-viewing area, FTW.

I've never missed a Spurs game with Dish and, for whatever reason this year, I'm getting NBA TV and the Rockets games played on FSN for free; good times..

Ditty
12-30-2009, 11:22 PM
yah i work at time warner cable i havent got any calls regarding this issue surprisingly but from what i heard its getting resloved

Nathan Explosion
12-30-2009, 11:24 PM

I've never missed a Spurs game with Dish and, for whatever reason this year, I'm getting NBA TV and the Rockets games played on FSN for free; good times..

The only problem with Dish is that not all the FSN games are in HD and the games on 35 are not in HD period.

SequSpur
12-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Direct TV. If you don't have it, you are wasting your money....

DPG21920
yah i work at time warner cable i havent got any calls regarding this issue surprisingly but from what i heard its getting resloved

If this actually happens, could people get refunded for League Pass if I bought it to watch the Spurs?

I like Time Warner overall, but this is dumb.

Blackjack
The only problem with Dish is that not all the FSN games are in HD and the games on 35 are not in HD period.

I've rectified that problem..

I've kept from springing the cash on HD; no HD, no problem.:hat

DPG21920
12-30-2009, 11:27 PM
U-verse is the best, but they don't have League Pass. As soon as they get it, I am changing.

Ditty
12-30-2009, 11:33 PM
If this actually happens, could people get refunded for League Pass if I bought it to watch the Spurs?

I like Time Warner overall, but this is dumb.

hmm not sure about it yet but im pretty sure if this does go down im pretty sure time warner will refund people back the league pass because it dosent want to lose customers but ill ask my sup tommorow about this but more than likely it will get resloved by tommorow :toast

DPG21920
12-30-2009, 11:35 PM
hmm not sure about it yet but im pretty sure if this does go down im pretty sure time warner will refund people back the league pass because it dosent want to lose customers but ill ask my sup tommorow about this but more than likely it will get resloved by tommorow :toast

Cool, thanks.

ElNono
12-30-2009, 11:40 PM
I've rectified that problem..

I've kept from springing the cash on HD; no HD, no problem.:hat

You're missing out. Most of the games Ive seen this season have been in gorgeous HD. It's the reason I'm sticking with Dish even though they don't carry YES. I go watch the Spurs live when they're in town anyways. I used to have Comcast Cable and not only they didn't have an HD feed, some of the games were so compressed they looked worse than a pirate Internet stream. I couldn't be happier with Dish overrall.

Spursmania
12-30-2009, 11:42 PM
maybe i should clarify: Dish, if you're in the sa-viewing area, ftw.

i've never missed a spurs game with dish and, for whatever reason this year, i'm getting nba tv and the rockets games played on fsn for free; good times..

:toast

Spursmania
12-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Agree with El Nono, HD is awesome and now I hate to watch any channel that's not in HD. It's makes a huge difference.

easy7
12-30-2009, 11:45 PM
direct tv. If you don't have it, you are wasting your money....

+1

Libri
12-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Time Warner is a rip. I changed to dish network this year and it's a hell of a lot better (more HD channels), and I'm paying half of what I was paying with TW.

I also have Dish Network and I get to watch all the Spurs games.

sa_kid20
12-30-2009, 11:55 PM
I had TW for a long time but switched to Direc TV a few months ago and I love it! Way more HD channels plus they threw in NFL Sunday Ticket for free :smokin

z0sa
12-30-2009, 11:59 PM
i'm not even sure who my cable provider is.

Blackjack
12-31-2009, 12:04 AM
You're missing out. Most of the games Ive seen this season have been in gorgeous HD. It's the reason I'm sticking with Dish even though they don't carry YES. I go watch the Spurs live when they're in town anyways. I used to have Comcast Cable and not only they didn't have an HD feed, some of the games were so compressed they looked worse than a pirate Internet stream. I couldn't be happier with Dish overrall.

No doubt. HD is really a quality product and I'm sure I'll end up springing the cash eventually; for big games it's a must and I'll usually head over to a friend's house bearing beer.

Dish has always done right by me with respect to the Spurs, so they've earned my loyalty.

crc21209
12-31-2009, 12:20 AM

Wow...I hope so...thanks :tu

xellos88330
12-31-2009, 12:31 AM
Man... no more Spurs games..... I think I could shoot someone.

Whisky Dog
12-31-2009, 12:40 AM

You must still live with the folks. If you were paying them you'd know.

z0sa
12-31-2009, 01:01 AM
You must still live with the folks. If you were paying them you'd know.

actually, I moved into this apartment nearly 3 years ago. It was still on then and it still hasn't gone off.

So technically you're right about me not paying them.

narmerguy
12-31-2009, 04:15 AM

Awesome :)

exstatic
12-31-2009, 09:16 AM
I don't get all of the TWC hate, except that it's probably a pre-existing condition. TWC aren't the ones trying to change the game, FOX is. It just happens to be TWC in the barrel because their contract is up at this time.

Networks have traditionally provided their programming to cable for free, because they want the viewership. FOX wants to change the game, and it's TWC's fault for not bending over and saying yes?

benefactor
12-31-2009, 09:32 AM

I guess this is a statewide thing, because I'm up in Tyler and I'm getting the same thing. It's always been that way for baseball(Astros), but this is the first year they have done it for basketball.

I can only think of one or two instances over the last couple of years where I have missed a Spurs game because of a blackout and the only LP problems I have had were related to the contract renegotiations they went through last year, which IIRC, affected all providers. Otherwise Dish has shown all of them here.

Bender
12-31-2009, 09:41 AM
I've had TW for a long time. I used to absolutely hate them, but my hate has lessened over the years. I've been thinking about going to something else though... u-verse, dish, or directv.

a good buddy has been trying to get me to change to u-verse. he says it's cheaper than TW. But when I run the numbers for what I want, u-verse comes out a few bucks more each month.

all companies seem to have their supporters in this thread.

Dex
12-31-2009, 09:44 AM
I agree that Fox is the one who is pulling the strings here. However, Time Warner was the first one to start their "Bash Fox" campaign, which only started the mud-slinging in the other direction. It's just stupid to call on the consumer when it really comes down to the decision of some suits in a boardroom.

I bet it all gets resolved by midnight. Like people have said, things like this have gone down to the wire before, but usually get resolved before the end consumer feels any of the crossfire. It would be a lose/lose situation: Time Warner cable would lose customers, and Fox would lose viewers. I don't see how either side wins.

Personally, switching from TWC would be a huge hassle. Not only am I locked into their price lock guarantee crap, but I also use them for my internet provider. Switching to AT&T would entail switching to DSL and I'm not all that hip on that. But if TWC stops carrying my Spurs AND my Cowboys for any extended period of time, I really lose a lot of incentive for paying my cable bill.

baseline bum
12-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Hasn't Time Warner been pulling this shit every few months lately? I seem to remember them losing Comedy Central and some other networks earlier in the year.

1usamotorsports.com
12-31-2009, 09:48 AM
I have twc . I pay $185 for cable basic with stars and interenet and phones service . Is that a good deal?

BacktoBasics
12-31-2009, 09:49 AM
I have twc . I pay $185 for cable basic with stars and interenet and phones service . Is that a good deal?No

Bender
12-31-2009, 09:51 AM
I have TWC - digital cable, roadrunner internet, and phone service also. my bill is something like $115 a month.

$185, sheesh!!!

Dex
12-31-2009, 09:53 AM
I have TWC - digital cable, roadrunner internet, and phone service also. my bill is something like $115 a month.

$185, sheesh!!!

Same here. I pay $123 a month for digital cable w/ one DVR, basic internet, and digital phone.

You're getting ripped for $185.

Hook Dem
12-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Sorry.....at&t uverse is just better and cheaper. Also get the NFL network.

1usamotorsports.com
12-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Whats the price on dish ? I have gone down to TWC 3 times bitchin them out for multiple things like the pay per view is always having problems , problems with the dvr and the last time was about the bill being to high . They charge all kinds of taxes to bring up the price . FU$k Time warner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPURS21
12-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Might be time to add NBA LP for some of you guys out there in SA!

boutons_deux
12-31-2009, 10:20 AM
TWC needs Fox a lot more than Fox needs TWC.

My bet is that TWC blinks, and then gradually passes the Fox increases to customers.

exstatic
12-31-2009, 10:29 AM
TWC needs Fox a lot more than Fox needs TWC.

My bet is that TWC blinks, and then gradually passes the Fox increases to customers.

Uh, no. FOX loses probably half of their viewership nationwide without being on TWC. TWC looses a handful of channels out of like 700. Ruppert Murdoch is a badass, but then again, so is Jerry Jones, and the NFL Network is still on the outside looking in on TWC.

ABC tried this same shit a year or two ago, and blinked.

TWC, FTW.

TimDunkem
12-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Same here. I pay $123 a month for digital cable w/ one DVR, basic internet, and digital phone.

You're getting ripped for $185.

After all the tax, BS fees, etc...It comes out to about $180 for me too. Keep in mind I have three computers with Internet connection, cable phone, around 700 channels, and every HD channel. Am I still getting burned?

alchemist
12-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Aside from trying to put caps on Road Runner, TWC has been an excellent company. I doubt this isn't resolved soon.

Mark in Austin
12-31-2009, 11:05 AM
shit... FoxSW in HD was my best source for games in Austin. oh well... NBA HD should be here by late Jan for Austins TW lineup.

exstatic
12-31-2009, 11:25 AM
Aside from trying to put caps on Road Runner, TWC has been an excellent company. I doubt this isn't resolved soon.

I think with Clear wireless in the picture, this isn't even a player any more. When this was first floated, TWC was my only HS internet option, but if they tried to follow through now, I'd switch to a Clear wireless internet option in a heartbeat. If I did that, TWC would also lose my phone business.

Dex
12-31-2009, 11:26 AM
After all the tax, BS fees, etc...It comes out to about $180 for me too. Keep in mind I have three computers with Internet connection, cable phone, around 700 channels, and every HD channel. Am I still getting burned?

I would think so, but I can't say for sure.

It probably varies by region, time of year, special deal, etc. I signed up about a year ago, in the Austin area, and got into that Price Lock deal where I'm tied in for two years, but the price can't change. I imagine people who are signing up now are probably paying a little more, but 60 bucks seems steep.

And I've got pretty much the same deal as you. Internet is generally a flat charge; they don't charge by connection. Usually the only thing they will tack on extra fees for are higher-level internet, movie and sports packages, and additional DVR boxes.

spursfan09
12-31-2009, 11:28 AM
WTF! I need to leave time Warner seriously

superbigtime
12-31-2009, 11:41 AM
What service is better in SA...AT&T U-verse or Dish? :ihit

The only way to keep TWC from their pattern of doing this with the various Broadcast companies...and it is a pattern.....is for customers to cancel.

I think DISH is fantastic. Only thing is you can only record up to 2 programs simultaneously. But quality is great and their customer service is better than any big company I have ever encountered. If they would upgrade their DVR's capabilities, no one would come close.

easy7
12-31-2009, 11:43 AM
actually, I moved into this apartment nearly 3 years ago. It was still on then and it still hasn't gone off.

So technically you're right about me not paying them.

That is better than my set up with Direct TV. :hat

alchemist
12-31-2009, 11:45 AM
I think with Clear wireless in the picture, this isn't even a player any more. When this was first floated, TWC was my only HS internet option, but if they tried to follow through now, I'd switch to a Clear wireless internet option in a heartbeat. If I did that, TWC would also lose my phone business.
Hopefully they don't go through with their capping system, RR is excellent in my opinion. AT&T was not a good alternative but now that you mention Clear I checked out their site and it looks like it's a good deal. If TWC tries it I'll definitely switch.

dbestpro
12-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Cable is only good for the net. I moved to the country and was forced to go dish and am so glad I did. Go with Direct TV for the NFL package. Dish Network has horrible customer service.

dbestpro
12-31-2009, 12:18 PM
I have twc . I pay $185 for cable basic with stars and interenet and phones service . Is that a good deal?

Try the NFL package with HD and all the movie channels, HBO, Showtime, etc. for about 110 mo more or less. (Direct TV) Pay the internet sperate (cable is good for net). Cancel the land line and just use your cell. Start with next NFL season.

mexicanjunior
12-31-2009, 12:44 PM
I have Grande, which uses Dish as it's cable provider where I live. It's channel lineup is excellent and includes both NBA TV and NFL Network in HD. My only problem is I have to call into Grande customer service for any technical or billing problems instead of Dish and their phone reps are terrible...

TimDunkem
12-31-2009, 01:09 PM
And I've got pretty much the same deal as you. Internet is generally a flat charge; they don't charge by connection. Usually the only thing they will tack on extra fees for are higher-level internet, movie and sports packages, and additional DVR boxes.
Yeah, I got RR with Turbo boost. I also forgot to mention I have 2 DVR boxes hooked up.

HoopsCzar
12-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Didn't this same shit happen a couple of years ago. I don't think it will happen. If Fox ever pulled the plug on time Warner, they would lose a tons of subscribers nationwide. Fox is the most watched network.

Yes it Did,..

It's a shame last year it was VIACOM then Disney got in on the act. They're all money grubbers but they didn't pre-plan the sports magnitude that FOX has unveiled and boy does FOX take the cake in regards to the lowest of the low here.

See this is exactly why there was such a push to knock out analog transmitting so everything can go cable and the price gouge could launch,..not to me they don't.

See in this case FOX is losing advertisers money due to the general populous tuning out their insistence to remain steadfast on their fabrication of facts to fit their hate pandering. So in a standoff FOX is saying pay more for what other temporary broadcast rights they'd snared or else,..I'd say FINE and they'd only do it once and I'd crush them by their own rotten tactic insistence.

As a company and consumer I'd miss those games they're holding hostage gladly. To combo send a clear consumer message of nobodies robbing the consumer and rid the cable industry of such gougers tactics,..the NFL and NCAA tried it and failed both rightfully and miserably and FOX was a major share holder in the BIG TEN Network con job that we defeated.

It's clear that FOX is so deceptively cunning that where they've bought the rights to those games. This is the 11th hour trojan horse stunt that is absolutely intolerable. Fox is so suicidal they're daring TWC to not give in to their demands,..stand on NO and get rid of such a sleaze once and for all.

Note they're only bartering on rights to view these games at a 11th hour tactic. But their propaganda BS outlets they call " Neus " aren't part of the plot,..I'd drop their Nues and business channel and even still give them their agreed share until THAT agreement expired and refuse to negotiate with them for less than free.

They don't effect me I'll see whatever I want anyway because I'd assembled some digital antennas and built a receiver / decoder and don't care what they do.

Ditty
12-31-2009, 02:35 PM

depends what internet service you have and phone serivce you have if you only have basic cable as a time warner employee that sucks but normally starz is $14.99

Ditty
12-31-2009, 04:25 PM
We are currently in the midst of re-negotiation with several TV networks (including FOX Corp.) whose contracts expire on December 31, 2009.
This dispute is the result of our ongoing commitment to keep down the cost of TV for our customers. Some TV networks have demanded massive increases for us to continue carrying their programming. And we don’t think that is fair -- not in ANY ECONOMY!
To raise awareness of these outrageous demands made by some TV networks, we launched www.RollOverOrGetTough.com, to enlist consumers in our fight to keep down the cost of TV entertainment.
We want to know what you think - should we just roll over and pay these high prices or should we fight back and risk some TV networks taking their shows away until we can reach an agreement? Visit www.RollOverOrGetTough.com today and tell us what you think -- already, hundreds of thousands of Time Warner Cable customers have joined us in this fight and the overwhelming response has been to ‘Get Tough’.
IMPORTANT FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW:
• This doesn’t just happen at Time Warner Cable - every video service provider, including satellite and telephone companies, must negotiate contracts with programmers such as FOX in order to carry your favorite TV shows. And every video service provider faces these same kinds of disputes. Usually, we can reach an agreement before customers are impacted, but this time Time Warner Cable had to take a stand for our customers because these demands for such massive increases are outrageous.
• We hope to settle these disputes with our programmers before your viewing is impacted. If we can’t, we’ll help you find options to avoid missing your favorite programming.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.
You can also call our Roll Over Or Get Tough hotline at 877-267-1844.
We have set up a Web site to help keep you up to date on this very important issue and give you a place to tell us what you think. Visit RollOverOrGetTough.com today and let your voice be heard!

HoopsCzar
12-31-2009, 05:25 PM
We are currently in the midst of re-negotiation with several TV networks (including FOX Corp.) whose contracts expire on December 31, 2009.
This dispute is the result of our ongoing commitment to keep down the cost of TV for our customers. Some TV networks have demanded massive increases for us to continue carrying their programming. And we don’t think that is fair -- not in ANY ECONOMY!
To raise awareness of these outrageous demands made by some TV networks, we launched www.RollOverOrGetTough.com, to enlist consumers in our fight to keep down the cost of TV entertainment.
We want to know what you think - should we just roll over and pay these high prices or should we fight back and risk some TV networks taking their shows away until we can reach an agreement? Visit www.RollOverOrGetTough.com today and tell us what you think -- already, hundreds of thousands of Time Warner Cable customers have joined us in this fight and the overwhelming response has been to ‘Get Tough’.
IMPORTANT FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW:
• This doesn’t just happen at Time Warner Cable - every video service provider, including satellite and telephone companies, must negotiate contracts with programmers such as FOX in order to carry your favorite TV shows. And every video service provider faces these same kinds of disputes. Usually, we can reach an agreement before customers are impacted, but this time Time Warner Cable had to take a stand for our customers because these demands for such massive increases are outrageous.
• We hope to settle these disputes with our programmers before your viewing is impacted. If we can’t, we’ll help you find options to avoid missing your favorite programming.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.
You can also call our Roll Over Or Get Tough hotline at 877-267-1844.
We have set up a Web site to help keep you up to date on this very important issue and give you a place to tell us what you think. Visit RollOverOrGetTough.com today and let your voice be heard!

Good looking out,..

It'll be a sting to the consumer to miss those games. But FOX would take such a hit it could very well be the biggest blow to them finishing themselves off that they've ever done.

This is a lot bigger than some football games and has far more impact than a couple days. Some of us can afford to pay the increase no matter what. But it'd be foolish and irresponsible to not think of the other honest hard working and or out of work fellow Americans they'd make mandated cable TV non affordable,..I saw HELL NO !!!

This is an instance where I can care less what team a fan roots for where they live or anything else. This is where we have to be team mates and put some smack down defense on FOX for trying such a stunt,..if we don't stand together and fight it now we'll be defeated and end up fighting it again and forever.

Enough is enough,..DROP EM !!!

http://daddysplace2.com/__oneclick_uploads/2009/07/faux_news1.jpg

exstatic
12-31-2009, 05:36 PM
They don't effect me I'll see whatever I want anyway because I'd assembled some digital antennas and built a receiver / decoder and don't care what they do.

http://www.jessicadunton.com/blog/TinfoilHat.jpg

HoopsCzar
12-31-2009, 05:52 PM
http://www.jessicadunton.com/blog/TinfoilHat.jpg

You Idiot,..ROTFFLMAO !!!

You'd been too stupid to teach if I gave you the schematics you stooge. You're angry because you wouldn't know a transformer from a transducer, an Amp from a lamp nor an Ohm from a gnome.

I bet you have no idea what re-filtering, splitting, and amplifying a digitized signal to decode it straight out of mid air means.

sahoopster
12-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Just my two cents...U-verse is the best out there. I have TW at my apartment, my fiance has U-verse, and my dad has DirecTV. TW would definitely be rated last.

baseline bum
12-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Yes it Did,..

See this is exactly why there was such a push to knock out analog transmitting so everything can go cable and the price gouge could launch,..not to me they don't.

The push was to broadcast over the air in digital because it uses much less bandwidth than analog and thus gives the government another source of revenue in selling off those previously-used frequency bands.

tlongII
12-31-2009, 06:49 PM
We've had this exact problem in Portland for the past 2 years! Comcast owns the broadcast rights and won't allow Blazer games to be seen on DirecTV. If you have sattelite TV you are screwed out of getting Blazer games. Unbeavable!

LOL@MavsFan
12-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Jew Warner and its Jewopoly

HoopsCzar
12-31-2009, 06:59 PM
The push was to broadcast over the air in digital because it uses much less bandwidth than analog and thus gives the government another source of revenue in selling off those previously-used frequency bands.

Yep,..

That's the big lie and now if you'd like to refute my calling it a fleece. Try asking yourself who are they selling analog frequency to?

It's building monopolies from local, state and federal legislators / bag men. Being paid off for persona; profit to force feed their constituents to a racket of turning TV into another " utility ",..to gouge a take out of what we once knew as by choice TV.

It's gotten so bad that not only does every sport known to man have and spike rates for their own exclusive channels. But regions are white collar criminal territory that control viewing and cost,..that's corrupt, corporate $$$ and criminal.

HoopsCzar
12-31-2009, 07:02 PM
We've had this exact problem in Portland for the past 2 years! Comcast owns the broadcast rights and won't allow Blazer games to be seen on DirecTV. If you have sattelite TV you are screwed out of getting Blazer games. Unbeavable!

Beyond a damn shame,..

It's became the norm and the grand business plan of corrupt government being paid off by such monopolies,..

Refocus
12-31-2009, 07:09 PM
Direct TV. If you don't have it, you are wasting your money....

Pretty much. I've been very pleased with them. :flag:

z0sa
12-31-2009, 07:17 PM
I watch a lot of games away from my house anyway.

murpjf88
12-31-2009, 07:17 PM
I remember when it happened last. People were in a panic because the new years games and the super bowl were on Fox. In the buffalo area, people were blaming time warner and switching over to the direct tv. Direct tv made out like bandits because they were calling homes of time warner subscribers, and offering a 20% decrease in price.

However, time warner and fox worked out an extension to allow broadcasting of the new years bowl games, Then, at the eleventh hour of like january 14, they worked out an agreement.

They'll get it done!!

HoopsCzar
01-01-2010, 05:37 AM
I remember when it happened last. People were in a panic because the new years games and the super bowl were on Fox. In the buffalo area, people were blaming time warner and switching over to the direct tv. Direct tv made out like bandits because they were calling homes of time warner subscribers, and offering a 20% decrease in price.

However, time warner and fox worked out an extension to allow broadcasting of the new years bowl games, Then, at the eleventh hour of like january 14, they worked out an agreement.

They'll get it done!!

They're doing it again right now,..and preying on you.

Fox grants 'brief extension' in cable dispute
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34632823/ns/business-media_biz/

I say consumers need to start cutting back on cable and send them both to include cable carriers and outfits like FOX both a " Cut the BS " signal out.

See Time Warner, Comcast, Verizon, Armstrong, Mediacom and all the other cable carriers are in this grand fleece. Fox is just a notorious nexus thats angle is manipulative greed out to commit theft of not just general program gouging. But they've even tried to Hijack the Big Ten NCAA games to a additional charge Shanghai,..in spite all revenue is already 100% profit and the players don't get paid a dime.

As a long time Big Ten fan and knowing the score on both side of the angle. I now no longer care when, where or who those Big Ten teams play now, never will again and I'll see em when and if I see em,..and this is the first year in like 15 seasons I didn't buy a single ticket to a game and didn't / don't miss it a bit.

It's so outrageous that even the NFL tried forcing their channel of general subscribers to further spike the billing robbery. They didn't / don't care if the general subscriber likes NFL football or not. The NFL just flat out wanted to " force " their channel onto all the subscribers billing,..that's straight up extortion.

Which is when and why I broke out some electronics schematics and went to work with a few friends. Which working together and in a manner of trial and error we developed a comparable " Free TV " setup and engineered our own receivers and decoders,..like 2 months worth of work and a total cost of like $85.00 bucks per box and like $150 or $160 bucks for the digital antenna's,..and no rental nor service fees via ownership.

Thus far we're only getting like 17 to 20 channels with consistency { including all the local stations }. But they're video and audio crystal clear, free, legal and we receive the signals of news, sports, weather and general programming. To make your own satellite feed setup requires you to buy different equipment and will require you to keep finding Freq's and codes because feed transmitters are always changing them,..frequent re-tuning isn't too hard to do but it's required and not easy as working a remote.

There's also the ability for broadband users to tap into broadcasts being transmitted off the net. Which to transfer that feed to your TV all you have to do is access the cite via PC and cord connect from your PC it to your TV,..again limited but free and until people know and become more resourceful they'll continue to get gouged and fleeced by the pay for TV racketeers.

Granted, the digital reviver box setups we've engineered thus far aren't picking up the 200 channel packages that cable carriers offer with their direct feed or their programed box's. But they provide all anyone would need to exceed basic needs. Which if I receive one more price hike cable gets cut off and out by my say so.

Then I'll settle for what my own box receives or replicate a friends satellite setup and just keep re-tuning to get all but any and everything being transmitted from satellite feed,..and either way the money I save per day, month and year will compensate ME for the channels I may no longer get and not pay another single subscribers dime either way.

M119AqRBJpU

exstatic
01-01-2010, 01:52 PM
If TWC wanted to play dirty, if FOX pulls the plug, TWC could take down their news stations as well. They don't HAVE to broadcast them, they just bought the right to. Murdoch won't be able to stand not having his conservative crack broadcast to the faithful.

dbestpro
01-01-2010, 02:02 PM
If TWC wanted to play dirty, if FOX pulls the plug, TWC could take down their news stations as well. They don't HAVE to broadcast them, they just bought the right to. Murdoch won't be able to stand not having his conservative crack broadcast to the faithful.

Yeah, then we can all make the cattle call to MSNBC, Moooooo. Or perhaps you have a greater preference to be like sheep.

robino2001
01-01-2010, 03:25 PM
So TWC-SA hasn't lost Fox yet? The NBC affiliate in Austin was reporting Fox-Austin went off the air on TWC here ~6am. I thought it was funny NBC was reporting it here... I don't think any of the others reported it when NBC got yanked last year here.

alchemist
01-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Yeah, then we can all make the cattle call to MSNBC, Moooooo. Or perhaps you have a greater preference to be like sheep.
if your choice isn't Fox News = sheep?

:lmao

Dex
01-01-2010, 08:43 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/01/news-corps-fox-time-warner-cable-strike-deal-to-keep-signals-on.html

News Corp.'s Fox, Time Warner Cable strike deal to keep signals on
January 1, 2010 | 4:16 pm
Media giant News Corp. struck a new deal that will keep its Fox-owned television stations -- including KTTV Channel 11 and KCOP Channel 13 in Los Angeles -- and several of its cable networks on Time Warner Cable systems.

The agreement was reached late this afternoon, less than a day after the current contract between the two companies expired. A series of extensions meant that consumers never lost their Fox programming.

The high-stakes game of poker between media mogul Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. and Time Warner Cable Inc., the nation’s second-largest cable operator, reached a peak in the last few days, with lawmakers and regulators pleading with both companies to hammer out a deal or face their wrath. While both companies publicly attacked each other, talks continued around the clock among executives hunkered down on Fox’s Century City lot.

For consumers, the good news is that the new pact means they won’t have to hook up rabbit ears to their televisions or find an alternative TV service to watch Fox’s programming, including college football or the return of “American Idol” in two weeks.

The bad news is their cable bill may go up.

Fox had initially been seeking $1 per subscriber each month for its television stations. Time Warner Cable’s initial response was to offer 25 cents to 30 cents. The terms of the new deal could not be immediately learned, but industry observers and analysts had been predicting that the price tag would ultimately be 50 cents or less for Fox.

For Fox, securing fees for its TV stations from Time Warner Cable is viewed as an important win. Broadcast networks have long argued that, for their financial health, they need a second source of revenue beyond advertising in the form of fees from cable operators.

The cable industry has resisted paying for those signals, noting that consumers -- albeit a dwindling number -- can get broadcast TV over the air for free. Broadcast networks have countered that most consumers would not subscribe to cable if it didn’t include their local TV stations.
In previous years, TV networks and cable operators had reached a detente of sorts. Instead of charging fees for their stations, networks used negotiating leverage to win capacity on cable systems to launch their own cable channels, such as Fox did with FX.

But there is little room left for new channels on most cable systems, so broadcasters now are pressing for cash, a right provided to them under 1992 legislation.

Time Warner Cable, meanwhile, can claim that it did its part for consumers by holding down the cost of monthly cable TV bills by not caving in to Fox’s demand for $1 per subscriber. Although viewers were spared losing Fox and its cable channels, including FX and sports channels Fox Sports West and Prime Ticket (Fox News has a separate agreement with Time Warner Cable and was not subject to the negotiations), such rifts have been growing more public. They may also be leading to unintended consequences for the cable and broadcast industries down the road.

Both Time Warner Cable and News Corp., for example, were starting to get heat about their stalemate from Washington lawmakers and regulators, who hinted that there could be repercussions if Fox went dark and denied millions of viewers the joys of a New Year’s weekend of football viewing.

Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.), chairman of the Commerce subcommittee on communication, technology and the Internet, was pushing for Fox to let Time Warner Cable continue carrying its stations. Earlier in the week, he said that if the Fox signals did go dark on Time Warner Cable, he’d ask the Federal Communications Commission to intervene. On Thursday, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski issued a statement urging “Fox and Time Warner Cable to agree to a temporary extension of carriage.”

However, whether the FCC would have tried to force both sides into a temporary agreement is unclear. Traditionally, the regulatory agency stays out of business negotiations, and whether it could have lawfully asserted itself is a matter of debate.

-- Joe Flint

SpuronyourFace
01-01-2010, 09:02 PM
I switced to Direct TV when they decided they didn't want to broadcast the NFL channel

lennyalderette
01-02-2010, 02:29 AM
yup time warner is a rip off!!! i still have this crap!!! they're not going to end their agreement, it will cost them both too much money and right now no one can afford to lose out on cash

Mark in Austin
01-02-2010, 11:40 AM
To me the answer has always been to pass on whatever the final cost for the Fox programming directly to customers, then let them opt out of those channels if they didn't want to pay the increased fee.

For Time Warner its a win-win. They go to bat for not increasing costs at the beginning, then negotiate a settlement but still allow those customers who could give a shit about fox to drop the channels in question and save the $.50 a month.

HoopsCzar
01-03-2010, 12:36 PM
To me the answer has always been to pass on whatever the final cost for the Fox programming directly to customers, then let them opt out of those channels if they didn't want to pay the increased fee.

For Time Warner its a win-win. They go to bat for not increasing costs at the beginning, then negotiate a settlement but still allow those customers who could give a shit about fox to drop the channels in question and save the $.50 a month.

Exactly,..

It needs to be a pay per choice menu where if you don't want a certain channel, station or program you can remove it from your lineup feed and not pay Ala Carte for stations not of your choice, interest nor request.

But see that foils the racket and many people would choose sensibly, cost effectively and select on average no more than 20 channels. But that would starve a lot of outfits like FOX, an array of shopping and multi lingual channels that has a payday via the pockets and on the backs of subscribers whom don't watch them and wouldn't select them,..and it'd knock down the lying, hate baiting and propaganda.

See now they're playing with that fire and I'm going to start a charge to turn up that " take those outfits consumers don't want off consumers bills " heat.

In way of government and democratic rule. The foundation is if you're going to federally force digital it's unfair, indefensible and non constitutional. To allow carriers to not allow the consumer a choice of what they pay for by selection, request, choice and agreement,..right now it's a mass fleece game and one that can be called nothing below extortion.