PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' Ginobili gives big sign he's regaining form

Blackjack
12-31-2009, 01:58 AM
Spurs' Ginobili gives big sign he's regaining form (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Ginobili_gives_big_sign_hes_regaining_form.h tml)
By Mike Monroe - Express-News

Nearly 24 hours after the fact, the Spurs still were buzzing about the way Manu Ginobili turned Tuesday's game against the Timberwolves into a personal time machine that transported him back to his days as one of the NBA's most electrifying players.

Ginobili came to training camp after a summer of enforced inactivity designed to assure complete recovery from a stress fracture of the right ankle. He lately has been reintroducing bits and pieces of the unique game that made him one of the league's best players.

Tuesday night's near-triple double was the latest evidence he is getting closer to being the real Manu Ginobili.

Up next: The confidence that will allow him to attack the basket when he believes his legs have regained the explosiveness that once made him a human highlight reel.

“That's the most important thing I'm trying to get back: attacking the rim,” he said. “That's my main concern right now — get to the rim in traffic and be able to finish with a quality shot, not just throwing it in the air.”

Handy man: Ginobili's performance included 10 assists. Some were so spectacular, they initiated an instant debate in the locker room: Which would be “Play of the Day” on ESPN's “SportsCenter” broadcast?

There were three candidates: Ginobili's wraparound pass to DeJuan Blair for a fast-break layin, Ginobili's over-the-shoulder pass to George Hill for an uncontested layin, and Richard Jefferson's dunk off a Ginobili touch pass.

The winner: Ginobili's pass to Blair, No. 1 on the sports highlight show's top 10 list.

Ginobili gave equal credit to Blair for his ability to catch the pass while on the full run.

“That last catch was a very good one,” he said. “Something (Blair) has is good hands. He's amazing at running, hustling and grabbing the ball. I know that I can really rely on him getting tough passes. He's really good finishing with both hands close to the rim. We know he's got that.”

On any other team, Blair might have the best hands. On the Spurs, he always will trail Tim Duncan. The Spurs captain has a well-earned reputation for catching nearly every pass thrown in his direction.

“DeJuan has some of the best hands,” Jefferson said.

“Unfortunately, because he plays with Tim Duncan, his hands might not get as much credit as they should. Even Tim sits on the bench and says how DeJuan has unbelievable touch and unbelievable hands.

“When you're getting that compliment from a guy like Tim Duncan, that says a lot.”

Early tip: Tonight's New Year's Eve game is scheduled for a 6 p.m. tip to accommodate an early TNT telecast.