Stock market opens down 33%.

Is there a point you're trying to make?

George Gervin's Afro
12-31-2009, 11:02 AM
so things are getting better. right?

TeyshaBlue
12-31-2009, 11:17 AM
so things are getting better. right?

Dunno yet. My wife is still out of work.

George Gervin's Afro
12-31-2009, 11:20 AM
Dunno yet. My wife is still out of work.

who's fault is that?

TeyshaBlue
12-31-2009, 11:23 AM
who's fault is that?

Good question. She certainly didn't downsize her department. So, I guess she gets a pass there.

As for ongoing employment efforts, she's taken many part-time jobs and contract jobs. But nothing full-time seems to be out there for her. She's in accounting, so I would presume there would be something in the metroplex, but, when there is, there's also about 200 applicants. I blame nobody actually. It is what it is.

TeyshaBlue
12-31-2009, 11:24 AM
btw..the point I'm trying to make here is that the DJ index is increasingly irrelevant to the economic health of most Americans.

EmptyMan
12-31-2009, 11:25 AM
"Stock market is crooked. It's all a sham! Bunch of fat cat devils manipulating the game!"

"Stock market is up! Obama saved America!"

Srs though, I guess this is good but wtf knows. Might as well invest in the market for the long term gains I guess. What else can you do. I trust it as much as I can throw it, but 40 yrs of compounding interest has a good arm.

George Gervin's Afro
12-31-2009, 11:30 AM
Good question. She certainly didn't downsize her department. So, I guess she gets a pass there.

As for ongoing employment efforts, she's taken many part-time jobs and contract jobs. But nothing full-time seems to be out there for her. She's in accounting, so I would presume there would be something in the metroplex, but, when there is, there's also about 200 applicants. I blame nobody actually. It is what it is.

I hope your wife is able to find employment. Happy New year.

TeyshaBlue
12-31-2009, 11:31 AM
I hope your wife is able to find employment. Happy New year.

It'll be a happier one when she does.:toast

George Gervin's Afro
12-31-2009, 11:33 AM
btw..the point I'm trying to make here is that the DJ index is increasingly irrelevant to the economic health of most Americans.

I agree. I seem to remember the obama haters talking about the down stock market and blaming obama for it.

TeyshaBlue
12-31-2009, 11:45 AM
I agree. I seem to remember the obama haters talking about the down stock market and blaming obama for it.

I couldn't conceivably lay the blame at any President...up or down. Administration policies have their impact, but they are largely mitigated by the apparent effectiveness of their lobby.

The effect of the index is asymmetric tho. A drop in the index can and will cost the avg American as the value of their 401k drops and umemployment increases as companies pad their bottom line by cutting labor costs. However, as the companies recover, they increasingly do so on the basis of their overseas components...which will help with 401ks..at least those folks who still have them...hence the disconnect between the DJ resurgence and unemployment figures.
I don't see a candidate on the horizon that can reverse the steamroller that is the Wall Street ogliarchy. Indeed as MB's post illustrates, Barney Frank apparently just gave them a "Get out of stupidity Free" card.

Winehole23
12-31-2009, 12:28 PM
I agree. I seem to remember the obama haters talking about the down stock market and blaming obama for it.If you want to be the obverse of the same coin as WC, you be my guest.

Wild Cobra
12-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Biggest gain in one year since 1933..
Stock market opens down 33%.

Is there a point you're trying to make?
No kidding. It's nothing to brag about considering how bad it fell over the same period of time. In fact, it's a weak gain. One would expect a 100% gain after a 50% loss.

You see, if we look at the low week starting 3/2/09, it was $6,626.94. The 12/28/09 week was $10,464.93. A 58% gain. However, that 301 day perid on the other side fell from $12,745.88. Almost a 50% loss. We are still at only 82% of what it was, and that wasn't the high. It was the same amount of time on the other side of the dip. It was $14,093.08 for the week of 10/8/07.

Dow Interactive Chart (http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=^DJI#chart1:symbol=^dji;range=5y;indicat or=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0 ;logscale=on;source=undefined)

spursncowboys
12-31-2009, 05:14 PM
I guess since BHO bought so many co's it would only make sense to give him some of the credit.

Wild Cobra
01-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Wow...

I didn't mean to kill this thread with the truth....

Cant_Be_Faded
01-01-2010, 06:29 PM
No kidding. It's nothing to brag about considering how bad it fell over the same period of time. In fact, it's a weak gain. One would expect a 100% gain after a 50% loss.

You see, if we look at the low week starting 3/2/09, it was $6,626.94. The 12/28/09 week was $10,464.93. A 58% gain. However, that 301 day perid on the other side fell from $12,745.88. Almost a 50% loss. We are still at only 82% of what it was, and that wasn't the high. It was the same amount of time on the other side of the dip. It was $14,093.08 for the week of 10/8/07.

Dow Interactive Chart (http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=^DJI#chart1:symbol=^dji;range=5y;indicat or=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0 ;logscale=on;source=undefined)

Those dollar signs don't belong...

I bet you a dollar it chunks downward over the course of this next year. Nothing fundamentally positive is happening in the actual world economy....you got all this money burning holes in big instutition's pocket....so they bump up amazon 25% in one day based on one positive earnings outlook report...stuff is being pumped up like a motherfucker, anyone who keeps adding to this is gonna get burnt bad.

LOL I bet whotttt is so pissed that the market is so high.

angrydude
01-02-2010, 01:04 AM
that's what happens when you give banks trillions of dollars to play with.

Wild Cobra
01-02-2010, 01:23 AM
Those dollar signs don't belong...
Sure they do. Stocks are in dollars, and indexes reflect a combined value of the stocks used.

I bet you a dollar it chunks downward over the course of this next year.
I don't think it will, but I don't have the foresight to say with certainty. Too many world and poitical events can effect it.

Nothing fundamentally positive is happening in the actual world economy....you got all this money burning holes in big instutition's pocket....so they bump up amazon 25% in one day based on one positive earnings outlook report...stuff is being pumped up like a motherfucker, anyone who keeps adding to this is gonna get burnt bad.

Yep. Kind of like the bailout. All our idiot congressmen are doing is drawing water out of one end of the swimming pool, and dumping it in the other, expecting it to rise.

LOL I bet whotttt is so pissed that the market is so high.

Well, I made out on this gain. I had my retirement assets placed in government securities seeing the market fall in 2007. In March of last year, I put it back into stock. I made our really good. I'll pull the trigger again and put it back in government securities if I must.

Nbadan
01-02-2010, 03:08 AM
When a increasingly service-oriented economy has the wheels fall off its difficult to get the economy primed again...add to that the Bush tax-cuts which concentrated wealth into less hands, many who are now profiting on wall street speculation driving up prices in some commodities instead of risking it in the job market, and there is less money overall to spend on goods and services leading to stagnant job growth...

What the market needs is a spark like the tech run to get the market and job growth really going...I think that market could be the green revolution, green companies doing remarkable things that are economical thanks in part to higher oil and gas prices....another growth market to look into is health-care...many companies are still under-priced generally after defeating reform, and innovative companies are always fun to speculate in...