PDA

View Full Version : Is a 9 hole par 3 course too much for a 4 year old to walk?

BacktoBasics
12-31-2009, 12:08 PM
I really didn't think it was that much of a walk. I'm also not one to vag up my boy at such a young age. We're talking about walking here not sprinting and its not the dead heat of summer.

Wife thinks its too much for a 4 year old.

A brief argument ensued and I told her I'd think about it.

Obviously I have the final word and wasn't planning on renting a cart because its pointless on a short course.

What do you guys think?

balli
12-31-2009, 12:11 PM
No. Hell no. Have the kid walk.

angel_luv
12-31-2009, 12:12 PM
I would bring a stroller for the kid, that way he can ride if he gets tired and you can enjoy the walk and forego the expense of a cart.

But I am curious: why are you taking a toddler golfing?

Bigzax
12-31-2009, 12:12 PM
keep him hydrated and have some snacks for him and he should be fine.
kids that age run all over the place non-stop.

I. Hustle
12-31-2009, 12:13 PM
I think you are a bass turd.

I. Hustle
12-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Kids that age run all over the place non-stop.

+7

BacktoBasics
12-31-2009, 12:15 PM
I would bring a stroller for the kid, that way he can ride if he gets tired and you can enjoy the walk and forego the expense of a cart.

But I am curious: why are you taking a toddler golfing?I don't even own a stroller. I doubt he'd sit in one.

Is 4 a toddler?

He likes to play (has his own jr. clubs) and watch. He was pretty pissed off last time when I went without him so I promised I'd take him.

balli
12-31-2009, 12:15 PM
I am curious: why are you taking a toddler golfing?
Why? Someday the kid might be rich and famous enough to carry on affairs with a multitude of women. Which only works out in b2b's favor, IMO.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/02/18/article-1149139-0391D136000005DC-921_233x423.jpg

BacktoBasics
12-31-2009, 12:16 PM
kids that age run all over the place non-stop.We're a Gatorade household so he'll have plenty to sip on.

angel_luv
12-31-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't even own a stroller. I doubt he'd sit in one.

Is 4 a toddler?

He likes to play (has his own jr. clubs) and watch. He was pretty pissed off last time when I went without him so I promised I'd take him.

I guess 4 isn't a toddler. I was just thinking his little legs might get worn out from walking if you are wanting to keep a quick pace.

I thought you were going to be golfing a serious game with a group of buddies.

If you are taking him specificaly golfing and are content to go at his pace, you should be fine without a stroller.

Have you ever taken your son to play minature golf?

katyon6th
12-31-2009, 12:20 PM
A stroller for a 4 year old boy? That's just mean.

BacktoBasics
12-31-2009, 12:20 PM
I guess 4 isn't a toddler. I was just thinking his little legs might get worn out from walking if you are wanting to keep a quick pace.

I thought you were going to be golfing a serious game with a group of buddies.

If you are taking him specificaly golfing and are content to go at his pace, you should be fine without a stroller.

Have you ever taken your son to play minature golf?Well its just my brother and father in law. We play slow anyway.

He didn't like miniature golf he likes the range.

I wasn't going to have him play the full holes. Just chip on and putt out.

angel_luv
12-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Well its just my brother and father in law. We play slow anyway.

He didn't like miniature golf he likes the range.

I wasn't going to have him play the full holes. Just chip on and putt out.

That sounds like a lot of fun. Enjoy your time!

Sportcamper
12-31-2009, 12:29 PM
It is no different than taking him to Disneyland or a theme park…. The question is are YOU strong enough or willing to carry your son on your shoulders WHEN your son gets tired?

mrsmaalox
12-31-2009, 12:34 PM
He'll be fine! It won't be too much for him physically, but it might be a tad too long for his attention span, so pack him up a backpack with lots of snacks and a few little toys (throw in a couple of cheap disposable cameras---he'll love that). I think renting a cart could actually be a problem, because the way kids are, the cart itself would become the focus of his attention and might be dangerous. Plus it would take away from your enjoyment/relaxation to be on constant high alert for that danger. Have fun! :toast

leemajors
12-31-2009, 12:36 PM
My daughter is almost 5 and she would declare she was bored and ask to ride on my shoulders.

Sancha
12-31-2009, 12:39 PM
You gonna take my kids too?

BacktoBasics
12-31-2009, 12:40 PM
You gonna take my kids too?I can't afford to rent 7 carts.

angel_luv
12-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Mrs Maalox is right about the disposable cameras being a great way to entertain little kids.

They were a big hit with the kids I use to babysit when I took the kids on outings.

Sportcamper
12-31-2009, 12:45 PM
The best part is when you have two of them on your shoulders & they are eating ice cream…Kids don’t get any happier than that….Being carried by their Dad as they drip ice cream on his head….

Try hitting a golf ball doing that B2B...:lol

BacktoBasics
12-31-2009, 12:45 PM
The camera's a good idea. He has his own so that idea works out well.

RGMCSE
12-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Hell no it's not too much. I've been taking my daughter out to the range par 3's and regular courses since she was 2. When their that age, they soak up what ever you tell them and they will follow your lead. My daughter now loves golf and she knows the basic etiquette. But to answer you question more specifically, it depends on your kid. But we didn't have a problem. I didn't take any toys out their either. Silly me, I thought the golf was good enough and it was.

Rob

RGMCSE
12-31-2009, 12:58 PM
One more thought, I've taken my son and daughter to the San Pedro par 3. They walked it just fine. This was at ages 6 and 3. Their good to go. Just make sure they take a leak before starting your round. Enjoy your round!

Rob

The Franchise
12-31-2009, 01:01 PM
kids that age run all over the place non-stop.

Agreed. His mom is just doing what moms do by trying to treat him like a girl.

BacktoBasics
12-31-2009, 01:15 PM
One more thought, I've taken my son and daughter to the San Pedro par 3. They walked it just fine. This was at ages 6 and 3. Their good to go. Just make sure they take a leak before starting your round. Enjoy your round!

Rob
Damn you're right about the pissing thing. I'll have to get him squared away up front.

Clandestino
12-31-2009, 02:12 PM
I didn't think you could even take a cart to a Par 3 course...

RGMCSE
12-31-2009, 02:20 PM
I didn't think you could even take a cart to a Par 3 course...

Actually you can. I've played on a few of them. Although none of them were here in SA. The only course I know of locally that has a par 3 with carts is Riverside. Though the carts are only for the 18 hole course. Unless they changed it. I haven't played riverside in a couple of years.

Rob

balli
12-31-2009, 02:23 PM
I've played one par three course with carts, but that was at a private club. I've never seen carts on any other par three course.

Ballcox
12-31-2009, 02:44 PM
I had my son walking 18 hole courses with me when he was 4 yrs. old, no problems at all. I just base it on the weather, if it's really hot we'll take a cart, but if the weather is nice we'll walk.

Also, make sure to over basics of outdoor peeing with the kid, very important.

ploto
12-31-2009, 02:56 PM
The kid will be fine. My son hiked up and down Enchanted Rock on his own when he was 2.

I remember when he was in first grade, and the teacher wanted to take them to Natural Bridge Caverns. Some mothers felt it was too hard for them. The teacher asked me and I told her-- my son hiked all the way down to the bottom and around the Hall of the Giants at Carlsbad Caverns the year before, so they would be fine.