PDA

View Full Version : Philly reporter suggests Tmac for Iggy/Dalembert

robbie380
12-31-2009, 01:13 PM
i had no clue philly fans and reporters were this burned out on iggy. it does make sense for philly since this gets them in the 2010 fa race (they save around 25 million next year) and iggy's contract certainly isn't a value contract. also, they make sure they get a high pick by trading these 2.

i like this trade a lot, but who knows if philly is ready to blow the team up.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columnists/20091231_John_Smallwood__McGrady_could_help_Sixers .html?viewAll=y

John Smallwood: McGrady could help Sixers
By John Smallwood
Philadelphia Daily News

Daily News Sports Columnist

DESPERATE TIMES call for desperate measures.

And let's face it, few professional sports franchises are as desperate as your Philadelphia 76ers.

Whatever the Sixers are selling these days, only a scant few are buying.

The Sixers rank 27th in the NBA, with an average attendance of 13,469. They are last in attendance capacity, filling only 66.3 percent of the Wachovia Center.

But that's what happens when your fan base has little faith that things will turn around in the near future.

So for the umpteenth time since they lost in the 2001 NBA Finals, the Sixers need a change in direction.

Bad decisions, failed gambles, missed hunches have left the Sixers with a mishmash roster of fading veterans, disappointing underachievers and uncertain young talent.

The problem is that even though the Sixers are 22nd in the league in team salary, their bloated payroll of $62.9 million is still well over the NBA cap of $57.7 million.

And for the 2010-11 season, when the cap is expected to drop, the Sixers' payroll is expected to rise to $65 million.

That's why the Sixers should do whatever it takes to win the Tracy McGrady sweepstakes. The Houston Rockets are ready to part ways with McGrady and his league-high $23.2 million salary.

The Sixers should make the winning offer - not because the oft-injured McGrady suddenly will regain his All-Star form, but because his contract expires at the end of the season.

The only way to dramatically change your fortunes in the NBA is either to get lucky with a once-in-a-generation draft pick or create flexibility in your payroll.

Sixers fans aren't stupid.

This isn't like in 1996, when the Sixers struggled with Iverson, but were OK because fans knew the rookie sensation had the abilities to lead them to something greater.

They look at the current roster and question whether the young players such as Andre Iguodala, Thaddeus Young, Jrue Holiday and Marreese Speights will ever become true franchise players.

They see Elton Brand, with a $14.8 million salary that will rise to $18.1 million over the next three seasons, and understand that's too much invested in a guy who not only failed to be a franchise changer, but can't even stay in the starting lineup.

They watch Samuel Dalembert, who still has another year on his contract worth $12 million, and again curse former president and general manager Billy King.

I admit, I was on board with some of the moves that have put the Sixers in their current state of limbo, particularly the signings of Iguodala and Brand to long-term deals.

For whatever reason, Brand has not been a good fit, and while I believe Iguodala, who will turn 26 next month, still could make an All-Star team, he is a nice part of a machine, not the engine.

So you reassess. You look at how far you are from what you thought you'd be and determine it's time to change.

This is the opportunity for Sixers president and general manager Ed Stefanski, if he has the boldness to change his vision of the core of his team.

The Rockets will not make a bonehead deal for McGrady, so you can forget about unloading Brand. Houston knows the value of a $23 million expiring contract.

Iguodala, however, could be a different story.

A lot of Sixers fans might not have faith in Iguodala, but he has the right abilities and is the right age for this deal.

Houston wants a young, All-Star-caliber player to go with franchise center Yao Ming, who is scheduled to return from foot surgery next season.

Iguodala, who averages 19 points, 6.8 rebounds and 5.6 assists, would be a valuable addition to a team already with an established big man that could use an all-around player to complement.

The fact that Iguodala has 3 years left on his contract that rises to $14.7 million in 2012, with a $15.9 million player option for 2013-14, might make the Rockets pause.

But Yao can opt out of his contract for 2010-11, and Houston might need to show it is committed to keeping talent around him.

The Rockets might even be persuaded to take Dalembert, and his $11.1 million contract, to make this deal work within NBA salary guidelines.

Dalembert maybe overpaid for what he contributes, but he is a 7-footer who can play defense and rebound. Besides, his contract expires after next season.

If the Rockets won't take Dalembert, the Sixers could offer a package of Iguodala and other young players.

The only Sixer who should be marked as untouchable in this deal is 21-year-old Young.

A lot of teams reportedly are interested in acquiring McGrady's contract, but few are willing to give up a young core player to get it.

The Sixers could jump to the front of the line by offering Iguodala.

A trade for McGrady's contract wouldn't guarantee the Sixers are in for better fortunes.

Still, the way things are, few people believe this team is going anywhere good, now or in the near future.

Change for change's sake is rarely good.

This could be an exception. *

Double-Up
12-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Get it done Morey.

djohn2oo8
12-31-2009, 01:18 PM
No way in hell does Philly do this deal....If they do, then Morey shall truly be considered a Jedi

JoeTait75
12-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Highway robbery for the Rockets. How would this help attendance at the Wachovia Center though?

djohn2oo8
12-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Any deal involving McGrady won't get done until next week at the earliest

lil_penny
12-31-2009, 01:26 PM
If this happens props to the rockets

JoeTait75
12-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Starters

PG: Brooks
SG: Iguadala
SF: Battier
PF: Scola
C: Dalembert

Top Bench Performers

Landry
Ariza
Hayes
Lowery

Still don't have that scorer to take over games, but defensively...

robbie380
12-31-2009, 01:28 PM
Highway robbery for the Rockets. How would this help attendance at the Wachovia Center though?

well if they blow up the team and get a high draft pick plus maybe sign a top tier free agent then that would certainly generate interest.

Lars
12-31-2009, 01:44 PM
/orgasm

gaKNOW!blee
12-31-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm a big fan of AI...but I know a lot of Sixers fans aren't. They don't think he's a "true" franchise player.

Not that T-Mac is tho.

milkshakeballa
12-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Very true. Now a better idea for Philly is Brand and Dalembert. Those were the biggest mistakes made by the Philly front office.

if brand gets traded il suck yo momas dick

shit aint happenin

Darthkiller
12-31-2009, 01:56 PM
philly would do that in a heart beat

GuerillaBlack
12-31-2009, 01:56 PM
well if they blow up the team and get a high draft pick plus maybe sign a top tier free agent then that would certainly generate interest.

Philly is in the John Wall sweepstakes. If they do the trade, then they can tank, draft John Wall, and potentially a top FA to come and play with Wall.

I suggest this:

Rockets receive: Iggy, Kapono, Speights
Sixers receive: McGrady, Dorsey, Taylor + 1st Round Pick

Rockets lineup would be sick:

Brooks/Lowry
Iggy/Budinger
Battier/Ariza/Kapono
Scola/Landry
Speights/Anderson/Hayes/(Yao)

We do this, and we have enough money to sign back Lowry, Scola, and Landry in the offseason. We would let Hayes go, have Cook's expiring, and then Kapono's expiring.

ffadicted
12-31-2009, 02:11 PM
No way philly does this without a gun to their head

GuerillaBlack
12-31-2009, 02:18 PM
And why not? Philly has one of the lowest attendance in the league. They aren't going anywhere with Iggy, despite how good of a player he is. Their salaries are also WAY too big. They do the trade, and get people in the seats with McGrady.

Would be weird to see Iverson, McGrady, and Brand all on the same team though. :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-31-2009, 02:20 PM
If Iggy is that available pick up the phone Kerr and trade for a fellow UA alum.

robbie380
12-31-2009, 02:25 PM
well....this is a start. now just get iggy in there!

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20091231_Sixers_Notes___Kings__Carril__76ers_need_ a_point_guard.html

T-Mac rumors
The Houston Rockets have made it known they will look to trade forward Tracy McGrady, whose expiring contract makes him desirable. Rumors have circulated about whether the Sixers could manage to put together a trade package with Houston.

According to a source close to the situation, "nothing is happening" between the two teams, although the Sixers have contacted Houston about center Samuel Dalembert.

robbie380
12-31-2009, 02:26 PM
No way philly does this without a gun to their head

man that's what i thought until i read how they feel about iggy in philly. they are ready to drop him like a bag of moldy tangerines, ESPECIALLY if it means they are able to move dalembert too and get in the 2010 fa sweepstakes.

i dunno... we shall see... maybe tmac's contract and houston's deep pockets have more value than originally believed.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-31-2009, 02:31 PM
God dammit, the Suns had a nice expiring contract they could have been traded for this, instead they trade it for nothing.

lefty
12-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Philly would be really retarded if htey traded Iggy+Dal for McDone

DAF86
12-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Damn, the Spurs could do with the services of Igoudala and Dalembert.

Double-Up
12-31-2009, 03:01 PM
And why not? Philly has one of the lowest attendance in the league. They aren't going anywhere with Iggy, despite how good of a player he is. Their salaries are also WAY too big. They do the trade, and get people in the seats with McGrady.

Would be weird to see Iverson, McGrady, and Brand all on the same team though. :lol

Yea looks more like a retirement home for the aged.

Double-Up
12-31-2009, 03:03 PM
God dammit, the Suns had a nice expiring contract they could have been traded for this, instead they trade it for nothing.

What do you expect with that figurehead Kerr as GM.

Double-Up
12-31-2009, 03:04 PM

Cough, cough, Gasol to LA? And they didn't even take any bad contacts back.

badfish22
12-31-2009, 03:10 PM

They also thought Iverson would get people in the seats, that only lasted about a week.

If Iverson can't get Philadelphians to come to games, Mcgrady won't either.

The Franchise
12-31-2009, 04:19 PM

Why not? They would be getting rid of Dalembert's contract, get a player that can give you the production Iggy does in T-Mac, and if it doesn't work out it all comes off the books this summer and you have money to shop for what you want. It seems about time to blow that failed experiment up in Philly anyway.

iggypop123
12-31-2009, 04:35 PM
this is too good of a deal. an article suggests that the sixers want a pg. maybe if its brooks and tmac for that package philly takes it

Xylus
12-31-2009, 04:38 PM
this is too good of a deal. an article suggests that the sixers want a pg. maybe if its brooks and tmac for that package philly takes it

But Houston wouldn't. Brooks is a huge part of their offense.

lefty
12-31-2009, 05:51 PM
Why not? They would be getting rid of Dalembert's contract, get a player that can give you the production Iggy does in T-Mac, and if it doesn't work out it all comes off the books this summer and you have money to shop for what you want. It seems about time to blow that failed experiment up in Philly anyway.

The problem is that Tmacdone is injury prone, and Iggy is younger and healthier

Plus, although he has a big contract, Dalembert is the only ok center they have

GuerillaBlack
12-31-2009, 05:57 PM
The problem is that Tmacdone is injury prone, and Iggy is younger and healthier

Plus, although he has a big contract, Dalembert is the only ok center they have

Does Speights not ring a bell? He's better than Dalembert, and a lot younger, too.

HarlemHeat37
12-31-2009, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if either team did this..

Philly looks like they're in dump mode and want to get rid of everybody on their team..they don't view Iggy as a franchise guy(he isn't even close) so attaching him to Dalembert would be ideal I guess..I would try moving Brand first, see if Houston values Iguodala enough..I doubt Morey does that though..

The Franchise
12-31-2009, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if either team did this..

Philly looks like they're in dump mode and want to get rid of everybody on their team..they don't view Iggy as a franchise guy(he isn't even close) so attaching him to Dalembert would be ideal I guess..I would try moving Brand first, see if Houston values Iguodala enough..I doubt Morey does that though..

He wouldn't. We are set at pf, but we could use a center.