PDA

View Full Version : Jared Dudley steals a jump-ball from Bynum

Xylus
12-31-2009, 04:35 PM
This happened a couple of nights ago, but I still find it absolutely hilarious that he got away with it. (I'd be pissed if I was a Laker fan, though.) The refs has probably never seen it done before, and weren't sure what the right call to make was.

KnqeWp0BC20

PHOENIX — Suns forward Jared Dudley is really something else.

The self-described man with no hops rose up to block Lakers 7-footer Andrew Bynum thanks to impeccable “timing,” and then on the ensuing jump ball Dudley spun around to steal Bynum’s tap, an illegal move but one that seemed to confuse the refs more than anything.

“How about that jump ball?” Dudley asked reporters. “Sneaked that. Has anybody ever done that before? I know it’s illegal, but has anybody ever successfully done that?”

I can’t answer that one definitively, but I do know that Dudley scored a career-high-tying 19 points to make this his sixth game of 17 or more points this season after only scoring that much three times his entire career previously. He’s now 9-for-13 from three (69.2 percent) since LB returned three games ago, and he’s shooting a league-best and franchise-record 50.9 percent from behind the arc.

Dudley also knows how much this game meant to Suns fans.

“If you ask any fan of the Phoenix Suns, if you ask them what win they want the most it would be LA, and I’m glad we gave it to them,” Dudley said.

Look to the sky

Both Amare and Channing Frye missed dunks and Dudley successfully slammed one home, prompting Frye to crack, “Yeah, exactly. So somebody check the air for the flying pigs.”

Frye attempted 10 threes, but he also threw up a few pump fakes and drove to the hole, one of the “new little wrinkles” he has added to his game.

As for hitting just two of those 10 long balls?

“All of them felt good,” Frye said. “… I’m going to bet on myself that I won’t have too many more games like this, get that many open looks and miss.”

Banzai
12-31-2009, 04:38 PM
pretty fucking stupid that there wasn't a violation called..whatever. lol

blink
12-31-2009, 04:39 PM
how is this a violation? looks like a smart move to me

Xylus
12-31-2009, 04:40 PM
pretty fucking stupid that there wasn't a violation called..whatever. lol

I guess Dudley figured he wasn't going to best Andrew Bynum at a jump-ball, so he'd challenge the refs' knowledge of jump-ball-related rules instead. :lol

stretch
12-31-2009, 04:40 PM
thats awesome lol. i think they should legalize that lol

lil_penny
12-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Lol that's crazy

IronMexican
12-31-2009, 04:44 PM
If the Lakers win that, they win the game. That game was so rigged, it isn't even funny. BULLSHIT

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
12-31-2009, 04:45 PM
how is this a violation? looks like a smart move to me

Well it was a "jump ball" and I dont think Dudley even got an inch off the floor. What's the point in having jump balls if one player isn't going to jump because he thinks he doesn't even have a chance.

ffadicted
12-31-2009, 04:57 PM
hahaha smart guy, I didn't even know about that rule

pauls931
12-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Wish I saw that, LOL... Now I know what pho people mean by high bball iq. He knew he had no shot, so why bother jumping? Just watch where bynum tips it and go. Is there really any rule about having to jump?

edit: watching it again, I think he crosses the line before bynum gets a hand on the ball at its apex. I'd think that would be a violation.

Xylus
12-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Wish I saw that, LOL... Now I know what pho people mean by high bball iq. He knew he had no shot, so why bother jumping? Just watch where bynum tips it and go. Is there really any rule about having to jump?

edit: watching it again, I think he crosses the line before bynum gets a hand on the ball. I'd think that would be a violation.

Dudley is allowed to stay on the ground and not jump, but he can't be the first player to receive the ball. Only a non-jumping player can receive the ball in that case. It's a rule that's rarely called upon, though, one that the refs probably never think about.

Muser
12-31-2009, 05:18 PM
Wow, piss poor officiating.

12-31-2009, 05:23 PM
i remember watching that. the commentators said the players jumping for the ball cannot touch the ball after the jump until a non jumping player touches it first. it was a violation, the refs probably never seen it attempted before so they got confused. i think the suns were up by like 16 at the time so it wouldn't have made a difference.

anonoftheinternets
12-31-2009, 05:26 PM
this is awesomely hilarious ... props to dudley... and shame on you referees.

Chomag
12-31-2009, 05:29 PM
NBA refs at their best.

Ignorance is bliss isn't it.

HarlemHeat37
12-31-2009, 06:01 PM
awww, the Lakers had a ball call against them when they were already down 14 and had no momentum..that makes up for everything else this season LOL..I bet Bogut and Thompson are happy now, justice was served..

cobbler
12-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Is your hatred for the Lakers really that deep seeded Harlem? Really? Were you abused as a child by some stepfather wearing a Laker jersey or something?

You call bullshit all the time on calls that go the Lakers way. And by all the time I mean every fucking day in multiple threads.

And now when you see an obvious bad call againt them its a non-issue because they were down at the time. The Spurs mediocrity and Lakers dominance these next few years are really going to be tough on you. Get used to it.

HarlemHeat37
12-31-2009, 07:26 PM
:rollin

JJ Hickson
12-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Is your hatred for the Lakers really that deep seeded Harlem? Really? Were you abused as a child by some stepfather wearing a Laker jersey or something?

You call bullshit all the time on calls that go the Lakers way. And by all the time I mean every fucking day in multiple threads.

And now when you see an obvious bad call againt them its a non-issue because they were down at the time. The Spurs mediocrity and Lakers dominance these next few years are really going to be tough on you. Get used to it.

He's mad.

lol bandwagon spurfan from NYC.

iggypop123
12-31-2009, 07:51 PM
the weird thing is the refs huddled up and still got it wrong

Chieflion
12-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Dudley, freaking genius.

redzero
12-31-2009, 08:00 PM
He's mad.

lol bandwagon spurfan from NYC.

I'm sure half the Spurs fans here are bandwagoners from other cities.

23LeBronJames23
12-31-2009, 08:03 PM
:lmao

da_suns_fan
12-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Dudley saved Steve Kerr from having another blemish on that resume of his.

I would gladly cut Jason Richardson if we could and take the cap space to resign Dudley and Frye in the off-season. I would also gladly trade him back for Boris Diaw OR Raja Bell.

23LeBronJames23
12-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Dudley saved Steve Kerr from having another blemish on that resume of his.

I would gladly cut Jason Richardson if we could and take the cap space to resign Dudley and Frye in the off-season. I would also gladly trade him back for Boris Diaw OR Raja Bell.

why wont you like J.R.?

Xevious
01-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Finley for Dudley. Do it.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Finley for Dudley. Do it.

Newsflash: Everyone thinks Finley is just as worthless as Spurs fans think. That's a retarded trade idea.

TheMACHINE
01-01-2010, 01:41 PM

lol Come on Cobbler... dont feed the troll...HarlemHeat aka MiamiHeat and ChrisRichards brings up the Lakers in every post he does. I would be surprised if he didnt. :lol

TinTin
01-01-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm sure half the Spurs fans here are bandwagoners from other cities.

Wait if I live in Toronto then I cant root for the spurs? :(

Edit: oops you said bandwagoners nvm :lol

cobbler
01-01-2010, 02:07 PM
lol Come on Cobbler... dont feed the troll...HarlemHeat aka MiamiHeat and ChrisRichards brings up the Lakers in every post he does. I would be surprised if he didnt. :lol

I really don't bother trying to figure out who's who. If I see some comments i don't like I'll comment on them. It really wouldn't surprise me if those 3 were the same guy... they all make completely ignorant comments. If they think looking like a fool by posting some lame comment and getting some fan to respond as if they have actually accomplished something is cool I could care less. Harlem, Miami, and CR are all sad little attention whores... nothing more.

namlook
01-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Its amazing such an obvious call can be missed when all three refs were looking at the play.

Xevious
01-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Newsflash: Everyone thinks Finley is just as worthless as Spurs fans think. That's a retarded trade idea.
That's why it was a joke.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-01-2010, 11:52 PM
That's why it was a joke.

Sorry, I'm touchy on the subject since Dudley is actually a future asset worth keeping.