PDA

View Full Version : "Player" of the decade debate is all wrong...

da_suns_fan
12-31-2009, 07:01 PM
The NBA has changed dramatically from ten years ago. When the decade started, international players were role players, at best. Since then, Yao Ming was the number one overall draft pick, team USA lost the gold in 2004, Nash and Dirk won MVPs, Tony Parker won finals MVP, Pau Gasol brought the Lakers back from the dead, Leandro Barbosa and Manu Ginobili won 6th man of the year, Boris Diaw won most improved player.

Im sure Im missing several others.

The "player" of this decade was the international player. The Kobe versus Duncan talk is stupid. It was Magic and Bird in the 80s, Jordan in the 90s, and the international player in the 2000s.

HarlemHeat37
12-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Interesting argument, but I'd say that's more the "storyline of the decade", which I could possibly agree with..

it doesn't really have much to do with the best player of the decade..

Venti Quattro
12-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Most of the most achieved NBA players of the decade are Americans so I don't see the confusion there.

However, I think you can make a case, because TD is from the US Virgin Is.

Xylus
12-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Well, technically Duncan wasn't born in the States, and Kobe was spawned from the sperm of Satan, so they could be considered international players.

milkshakeballa
12-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Kobe was spawned from the sperm of Satan,

:rollin:rollin:rollin:lol:lol:lol:rollin:rollin:ro llin

da_suns_fan
12-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Interesting argument, but I'd say that's more the "storyline of the decade", which I could possibly agree with..

it doesn't really have much to do with the best player of the decade..

People continue to try to have 90s and 80s arguments for this decade even though the argument is no longer a debate worth having.

For example, what was the movie of the decade? Movies dont have cult followings they way they did in the 90s and 80s. Now people obsess about television shows like Sopranos or Lost. The "movie of the decade" no longer applies. HD TV and HBO changed the way we like to be entertained.

Same with music. There was no "band" of the decade. Music has changed. We get our music differently, listen to it differently etc. There is no "Nirvana", "Led Zeppelin" or "Beatles" for this decade nor was there an "album" of the decade. The real "artist", "band" or "album" of the decade can be summed up as "hip-hop".

Back to basketball, no single player defined the decade the way Jordan did in the 90s or Magic and Bird did in the 80s. The idea that Kobe or Duncan can be put on the same level as those three is ridiculous. Neither changed basketball or even expanded it to new audiences the way those three did or the way the international player did this decade.

IronMexican
12-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Stephon Marbury

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Stephon Marbury

Either him or Ricky "Buckets" Davis.

Xylus
12-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Either him or Ricky "Buckets" Davis.

Pfft, they got nothin' on Larry Hughes and Steve Francis.

cobbler
12-31-2009, 07:34 PM
People continue to try to have 90s and 80s arguments for this decade even though the argument is no longer a debate worth having.

For example, what was the movie of the decade? Movies dont have cult followings they way they did in the 90s and 80s. Now people obsess about television shows like Sopranos or Lost. The "movie of the decade" no longer applies. HD TV and HBO changed the way we like to be entertained.

Same with music. There was no "band" of the decade. Music has changed. We get our music differently, listen to it differently etc. There is no "Nirvana", "Led Zeppelin" or "Beatles" for this decade nor was there an "album" of the decade. The real "artist", "band" or "album" of the decade can be summed up as "hip-hop".

Back to basketball, no single player defined the decade the way Jordan did in the 90s or Magic and Bird did in the 80s. The idea that Kobe or Duncan can be put on the same level as those three is ridiculous. Neither changed basketball or even expanded it to new audiences the way those three did or the way the international player did this decade.

I see hundreds of web pages full of movie, band, album of the decade lists so your opinion is not shared by the masses.

Magic and Bird brought the NBA back with their extended rivalry from college. It was more the rivalry and that they ended up on the Celts and Lakers rather than each of their personal performances.

Jordan though a great player was the first superstar of the MTV media generation. Nike had as much to do with MJ's image as any of his basketball skills did. Heck, he wasn't even the best player on his college championship team but all you hear is how he won it all with that one shot.

Last but not least... why are all these players, movies, songs etc of the decade talks even being brought up? I thought as so many Spur posters claimed... the decade isnt over untill December of 2010! :lol

TIMMYD!
12-31-2009, 07:40 PM
There's a debate as to who's the player of the decade? :lol

IronMexican
12-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Radiohead

da_suns_fan
12-31-2009, 07:52 PM
I see hundreds of web pages full of movie, band, album of the decade lists so your opinion is not shared by the masses.

Magic and Bird brought the NBA back with their extended rivalry from college. It was more the rivalry and that they ended up on the Celts and Lakers rather than each of their personal performances.

Jordan though a great player was the first superstar of the MTV media generation. Nike had as much to do with MJ's image as any of his basketball skills did. Heck, he wasn't even the best player on his college championship team but all you hear is how he won it all with that one shot.

Last but not least... why are all these players, movies, songs etc of the decade talks even being brought up? I thought as so many Spur posters claimed... the decade isnt over untill December of 2010! :lol

I dont doubt these debates are still happening, my point is that its stupid to have these nostalgic debates anymore.

Jordan had gambling problems and was a womanizer, but we got to read all the details of Kobe's rape trial on "thesmokinggun.com". Kobe, A-Rod, Tiger etc. will never have the same aura of athletes from the past because players personal lives now commonly overshadow their sports achievements.

It was a decade when the sports world really lost its innocence, in my opinion.

iggypop123
12-31-2009, 07:52 PM
thats stupid. almost like time magazines "you" are the person of the yr. fuck that dont cop out and pick a person

da_suns_fan
12-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Radiohead

A "band of the decade" that never had a number one single or number one album in the decade?

Radiohead might be the most talented of the decade, but things have changed so the debate needs to change. Radiohead released an album exclusively online. People no longer depend on the top 40 to tell them whats good so no single band or artist could possibly define an era they way they once did.

da_suns_fan
12-31-2009, 07:59 PM
thats stupid. almost like time magazines "you" are the person of the yr. fuck that dont cop out and pick a person

Kate Faber.

Chieflion
12-31-2009, 08:00 PM
KBP: Vassilis Spanoulis

BadOdor
12-31-2009, 08:00 PM
sun fan trying to sound smart here.

Muser
12-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Who is International player? Never seen him play.

IronMexican
12-31-2009, 08:32 PM
A "band of the decade" that never had a number one single or number one album in the decade?

Radiohead might be the most talented of the decade, but things have changed so the debate needs to change. Radiohead released an album exclusively online. People no longer depend on the top 40 to tell them whats good so no single band or artist could possibly define an era they way they once did.

They're the best. Doesn't matter what charts say.

da_suns_fan
12-31-2009, 08:32 PM
sun fan trying to sound smart here.

I guess I should expect no less in a basketball forum. These are some of the same people voting AI and McGrady to the all star team.

da_suns_fan
12-31-2009, 08:34 PM
They're the best. Doesn't matter what charts say.

Theyre the best, yet the only song of theirs most people could probably name is "creep" which was a product of the early 90s music system.

Muser
12-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Band of the decade is pure opinion.

IronMexican
12-31-2009, 08:38 PM
No band had better albums than Kid A and In Rainbows. That's how you can say they're the best band. Not just opinion. The only songs I ever skip over on that album are 15 step and Treefingers

Muser
12-31-2009, 08:41 PM
And that's your opinion, I could make a case for my favorite band but we'd be going back and forth all night.

cobbler
12-31-2009, 08:41 PM
I guess I should expect no less in a basketball forum. These are some of the same people voting AI and McGrady to the all star team.

The fans are voting on popularity as opposed to achievements this year. That is why I put no value on the whole MVP debate and it has no bearing on my opinions on who is the GOAT etc.

The sports world as with all other worlds lost its innocence long before you or I were born. We just hear about it quicker these days.

da_suns_fan
12-31-2009, 08:42 PM
No band had better albums than Kid A and In Rainbows. That's how you can say they're the best band. Not just opinion. The only songs I ever skip over on that album are 15 step and Treefingers

Are you serious? Do you know what the words "fact", "opinion" and "subjective" mean? Or do you just want to throw out how much you love radiohead?

cobbler
12-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Band of the decade is pure opinion.

Do we get to pick a band from 1999? :lol

IronMexican
12-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Are you serious? Do you know what the words "fact", "opinion" and "subjective" mean? Or do you just want to throw out how much you love radiohead?

I know it's all subjective, but that's just how I feel. I love almost everything they've done.

da_suns_fan
12-31-2009, 08:46 PM
The fans are voting on popularity as opposed to achievements this year. That is why I put no value on the whole MVP debate and it has no bearing on my opinions on who is the GOAT etc.

The sports world as with all other worlds lost its innocence long before you or I were born. We just hear about it quicker these days.

Im not sure I would agree with that. It was just ten years ago people looked the other way when Mark McGwire destroyed Roger Maris' home run record. I went to a Cardinals/Diamondbacks game that season and Ive never seen so many cameras flash at once the way they did every time he swung a bat.

Muser
12-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Do we get to pick a band from 1999? :lol

If you let me say the Spurs 99 title counts for this decade then sure :lol

cobbler
12-31-2009, 08:55 PM
I would disagree with that. It was just ten years ago people looked the other way when Mark McGwire destroyed Roger Maris' home run record. I went to a Cardinals/Diamondbacks game that season and Ive never seen so many cameras flash at once the way they did every time he swung a bat.

I certainly didnt look the other way. Most of my friends,as I, also saw that record breaking just as Bonds subsequent one to be nothing more than cheating.

Any " " of the decade list is going to be completely subjective. What is the criteria? Take for instance the band thing. I would think record sales would be a big contributing factor. Guess who sold the most?

here is the top 10 for the decade:

1. Eminem
2. Beatles
3. Tim McGraw
4. Toby Keith
5. Britney
6. Kenny Chesney
7. Nelly
8. Linkin Park
9. Creed
10. Jay-Z

IronMexican
12-31-2009, 09:03 PM
Who is Tim Mcgraw? I think he was on a episode of King of the Hill

da_suns_fan
12-31-2009, 09:06 PM
I certainly didnt look the other way. Most of my friends,as I, also saw that record breaking just as Bonds subsequent one to be nothing more than cheating.

Any " " of the decade list is going to be completely subjective. What is the criteria? Take for instance the band thing. I would think record sales would be a big contributing factor. Guess who sold the most?

here is the top 10 for the decade:

1. Eminem
2. Beatles
3. Tim McGraw
4. Toby Keith
5. Britney
6. Kenny Chesney
7. Nelly
8. Linkin Park
9. Creed
10. Jay-Z

I changed my post to "im not sure i would disagree with that" cuz I do agree somewhat.

Interesting that the band of the 60s was second in album sales in the 2000s.

da_suns_fan
12-31-2009, 09:06 PM

Thats what I thought.

IronMexican
12-31-2009, 09:13 PM
If you let me say the Spurs 99 title counts for this decade then sure :lol

Since you're already in 2010, what's it like? Did we land on the moon yet? flying cars?

dirk4mvp
01-01-2010, 02:52 PM

He played Sean Sean Tuohy in The Blind Side I said.

Also, The White Stripes - band of the decade.

Muser
01-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Since you're already in 2010, what's it like? Did we land on the moon yet? flying cars?

I went to Mars, nothing like martian sex :tu.

Will Hunting
01-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Tim McGraw is a country music singing inbread sister raping red neck douche bag.

Will Hunting
01-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Basically every Tim McGraw song is some variation of, "I raped my sister and voted for Bush yee-haw!"

Greg Oden
01-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Tim McGraw is a country music singing inbread sister raping red neck douche bag.

You know you jerk to SNF's intro.

IronMexican
01-01-2010, 02:59 PM
He married Faith Hill? Fuck him.