PDA

View Full Version : Hawks in another shot clock incident

iggypop123
12-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Hawks Livid After Shot-Clock Malfunction

CLEVELAND -- Sure was a happy birthday for LeBron James, eh, what with the 48 points and all?

And Anderson Varejao couldn't have picked a better time to turn into a latter-day Oscar Schmidt, wouldn't ya say?

Yep, those were the things the Cleveland Cavaliers, an assortment of rap stars and other major moguls were undoubtedly discussing over drinks in the wee hours of this morning as they attended James' birthday party at a local nightspot. (Note of the night: All invitees were required to wear all black clothing.)

But what about the other side of the story?

What about all those Atlanta Hawks fans? They sure would like an explanation as to why their team was the victim of an egregious shot-clock malfunction that prompted coach Mike Woodson to announce that the Hawks would file an official protest with the league office over their 106-101 loss to Cleveland on Wednesday night.

Employing due diligence -- one of commissioner David Stern's favorite phrases, along with that absurdity he keeps repeating: "referee transparency" -- I went to the referees' locker room acting as a pool reporter, something I have done at least a half-dozen times in my career, to ask what the rule interpretation was on that particular play.

To review: Atlanta was ahead 99-98 when the Cavs missed a shot in the lane with about 16 seconds remaining on the shot clock. But the shot clock did not reset, and by the time point guard Mike Bibby dribbled upcourt and looked at the clock, it was ticking close to zero. Bibby passed the ball to Josh Smith in the lane, he had it stolen by LeBron James, and the Cavs came downcourt and scored for a 100-99 lead.

Woodson was apoplectic, arguing his case vociferously to the referees while also screaming angrily at the 24-second clock operator. But to no avail.

Atlanta tied the game with 41.5 seconds left when James goaltended a shot by Joe Johnson, but Varejao hit the first 3-pointer of his career with 17.2 seconds left, as the shot clock expired, to make it 104-101 (the shot was originally called a 2, but it was changed to a 3 during the ensuing timeout, which made Woodson even more livid since he appeared to be diagramming a 2-point play in the huddle to go for the tie).

Instead, Bibby had to try for the tie on a corner 3-pointer. He missed, the Cavs locked it up with two free throws, and the Hawks angrily stormed off the court -- Woodson twice had to be turned back by his assistants and redirected toward the locker room -- before cooling down enough to utter the following:

"I'm not going to comment on it at this time. We're just going to file a protest, without a doubt let the league review it at the two-minute mark, and then see what they think."

Did he see that as a game-changer?

"Well, we've got a one-point lead and with the ball going our way, and we're rushing to get a shot because the clock is not in our favor? You figure it out."

There is an NBA procedure for instances such as this. A pool reporter is permitted to question the lead referee about a rule interpretation, and the referee is obligated to answer so long as it does not involve a judgment call, and the pool reporter is obligated to share the referee's answer with all other media.

Pretty simple, no?

Well, lead referee Kenny Mauer would have none of it, relaying two words -- "no comment" -- when a Cavs public relations official informed him a pool reporter wished to question him about the play in question.

Mauer could have explained that he was acting within the rules as they are written, and that there is no recourse for going to a video review on a malfunction such as this.

"I think we should have won this game, and I think they know that, too," Bibby said. "I was bringing the ball up, and that's why I started to go because the clock was down. I didn't know, it was the middle of the game, I thought it was kind of quick. You look at the shot clock, you see the shot clock down, and you play."

Said Smith: "Malfunction? I thought one official was supposed to check the clock."

This is the second time this month that a lead referee has refused to explain a critical rule interpretation -- even though the league office has encouraged them (but not mandated them) to do so. A league spokesman said Mauer was within his rights to decline comment, and so all we have for an explanation this morning is the video of the play, the video of Woodson's ire and the pending protest (which seems almost certain to be turned down).

For fans of Atlanta, it doesn't matter that the Hawks eclipsed 100 points for the first time in their last 16 games against Cleveland. It doesn't matter that Atlanta's string of being held below 85 points by Cleveland ended at five in a row. It doesn't matter that Joe Johnson was superb, scoring 35 points on 15-for-25 shooting. It doesn't matter that Jason Collins, of all people, actually had a three-possession sequence in which he took Shaquille O'Neal completely out of his game.

What matters is the L -- and the fact that the Hawks didn't have a fair chance to come away with a W in what they themselves described as a two-day litmus test of their strength in playing the Cavs on back-to-back nights.

"It was a great game. If you're a fan or you were watching on TV, it was great. Both teams fought and didn't want to give an inch, and it's unfortunate it had to come down this way, but as an organization we have to do what's right for our organization and our basketball team," Woodson said. "It's a shame it had to come down to that, and we'll figure it out when the league reviews it."

Have fun swallowing that along with your morning coffee, Hawks fans, while also remembering this: All those black-clad folks at LBJ's birthday bash were feeling such good vibes, too, at your team's expense. And just a guess (our invitation was apparently lost in the mail), but if the words "conspiracy theory" were uttered, the James Gang all had a big ole belly laugh over it.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-091230/daily-dime

Does anybody actually think they will they actually replay the game like they did last yr with the heat?

23LeBronJames23
12-31-2009, 08:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-091230/daily-dime

Does anybody actually think they will they actually replay the game like they did last yr with the heat?

it doesnt matter cavs will still win. imo

BRHornet45
12-31-2009, 08:13 PM
sons I must present the facts yet again ...

Cavs 38 free throws
Hawks 15 free throws

Lebron alone had more free throws than the entire Atlanta team.

rigged bullshit league

The_Dude
01-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Did you watch the 3rd and 4th quarters where the entire Hawks team decided defense meant to hack the Cavs? They played fantastic defense in the 1st half, then shit the bed when the Cavs got physical with them.

The Hawks also didn't attack the rim a lot last night, mainly because Mike Bibby and Joe Johnson put on a jump shooting clinic. Crawford tried to get in on the party but bricked everything and didn't attack the rim.

There's more to understanding how a game was officiated than just looking at FT totals, but of course you don't understand that, son.

6 of the Cavs FTs were drawn by Jamario Moon. 4 of them where obvious fouls when he was on fast breaks, and 2 of them were intentional to end the game. 4 of the FTs were results of technical fouls (DEF 3 was 2 of them). Shaq was hacked 8 times early in the game because the Hawks can't body up and have to foul him.

Take into consideration those 18 FTs right there and it's pretttttty easy to explain the FT disparity.

K, thx bye!

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3957665#post3957665