PDA

View Full Version : Can you be a fan of two teams from different states?

Spursfan092120
12-31-2009, 08:44 PM
OK..I've always been a Rangers fan, and always will be. For the last 5 years, I've moonlighted with the St. Louis Cardinals. Now..I don't cheer for them because they've been winning...I cheer for them because my wife's father lives there, and in 2004, I went to a game in the old stadium, and had a blast. Ever since then, I've quietly cheered for them, and every year, her father's family sends me gear. I'm in St. Louis right now, and this year, they got me two caps. The Rams are my second favorite football team...is it ok to cheer for the Cardinals as well as the Rangers?

BRHornet45
12-31-2009, 09:39 PM
son I have never respected anyone who has a 2nd favorite team, 3rd favorite, etc. or anyone who cheers for a team 1,000 miles away from where they live .... pick ONE team and stick with them. If you move out of state then it is ok to switch teams to your new state team, but only if you stick with them.

I have one friend who is ridiculous with it. In baseball his favorite teams are the Astros, Cubs, and Red Sox. how convenient ... people who have "2nd and 3rd" favorite teams are NOT real fans.

Spursfan092120
12-31-2009, 09:58 PM
Well..as much as I do respect your opinion, I'm going to have to disagree..if they were in the same league (AL or NL) I might agree...but I'm going to have to go the other way on this one...I'm going to be a fan of both. Just really started appreciating the players on the Cards, and as hard as I try, I can't dislike one of my favorite players, Pujols.

Dr. Gonzo
12-31-2009, 10:55 PM
haha bandwagoner

florige
12-31-2009, 11:10 PM
Yeah you can. In my case I was very young when the original Colts left town. So by the time I started watching football we didn't have a team. I latched on to the Giants because they were the team that knocked off the faggot 49ers team that everyone and their grandmother used to root for in the early 90's. Now we have the Ravens. I will admit I don't follow the Giants nearly as much as I was, but I still pull for them. Put it this way, if the Giants had beaten the Ravens in 2000, I wouldn't had been heartbroken like most people here would had been. That SB was a win-win for me. It was very weird pulling for the Ravens in that game though. Its the same thing with the Spurs. If the NBA ever decided to give us a NBA team, I would be stoked. I might not follow the Spurs as much as I do now, but they would forever be my second favorite team. Dream scenario would be the Spurs relocating to Baltimore.

Spursfan092120
12-31-2009, 11:54 PM
haha bandwagoner
haha obsessed

Texas Chili Dog
01-01-2010, 12:41 AM
yes, it is very possible. Because I have been a Braves fan since I was old enough to watch baseball. TBS gathered plenty of new Braves fans along the way. And I was able to watch most all their games from all the way in Dallas. I was about five when I first remember watching them, a couple years before they started their division title streak. That being said, the Rangers will always be my #1 team. I was born and raised in Dallas, and I'm always loyal to my home town teams.

Also, I HATE the Cardinals. My dad has been a huge Cards fan his whole life. He grew up in Arkansas, and Cards games were always on the radio when he was a kid. The Royals and Rangers didn't exist yet, so pretty much everyone there was a Cardinals fan because that was the only team near the state. My dad and I kinda built a baseball rivalry between ourselves when the Braves and Cardinals would play.

gaKNOW!blee
01-01-2010, 12:43 AM
You can have a team you normally root for when your team is out of it...but you cant have two favorite teams. If that makes sense.

Dr. Gonzo
01-01-2010, 01:56 AM
It's a bitch move. I only have 1 team in every sport. I respect other teams for running class organizations but I will never be a fan. My sister lived in Detroit for about 10 years and I saw many Pistons games, Tigers games and Lions games but I never became a fan. I didn't even root for the Pistons against the Lakers even though I went to a couple of Pistons games that year. The Spurs were out so I didn't watch. If I was a champion chasing faggot maybe I would've claimed the Pistons but I'm not.

iggypop123
01-01-2010, 03:52 AM
you suck. that means you only cheer for them with 50% effort and time, hence why its so stupid.

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 12:28 PM
you suck. that means you only cheer for them with 50% effort and time, hence why its so stupid.
That makes no sense, dude...if they were playing each other, it'd be a 50% thing. I could give 100% effort cheering on either team when they played...besides, man...sports isn't everything...I'm learning that as I get into my 30's.

samikeyp
01-01-2010, 01:31 PM
son I have never respected anyone who has a 2nd favorite team, 3rd favorite, etc. or anyone who cheers for a team 1,000 miles away from where they live .... pick ONE team and stick with them. If you move out of state then it is ok to switch teams to your new state team, but only if you stick with them.

I have one friend who is ridiculous with it. In baseball his favorite teams are the Astros, Cubs, and Red Sox. how convenient ... people who have "2nd and 3rd" favorite teams are NOT real fans.

So by your logic, now that I live in Lansing I should no longer root for the Spurs.

yeah...no.

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 01:47 PM
So by your logic, now that I live in Lansing I should no longer root for the Spurs.

yeah...no.
yeah...that's ridiculous. You should be able to cheer for whomever you choose. The Cardinals are a team I've been cheering for because I've seen them play in person, and kept up with them because my wife's father has season tickets, and we've discussed them. I've made the decision..I'm a Rangers and Cardinals fan...

Will Hunting
01-01-2010, 03:43 PM
yeah...that's ridiculous. You should be able to cheer for whomever you choose. The Cardinals are a team I've been cheering for because I've seen them play in person, and kept up with them because my wife's father has season tickets, and we've discussed them. I've made the decision..I'm a Rangers and Cardinals fan...

You also like nickelback and country music.

lol songs about photographs
lol singer who sings like he's constipated
lol nickelback

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 03:46 PM
You also like nickelback and country music.

lol songs about photographs
lol singer who sings like he's constipated
lol nickelback
I'm sorry..were you saying something?

bostonguy
01-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Here is how I see it. You can root for the Cardinals as long as you don't root for them when they play against the Rangers. Also if you were to buy any of their 2006 championship gear, that is a major no-no. Now if you want to buy a Pujols jersey, knock yourself out. Thing is you can't wear both teams gear when they play each other. If the Rangers are your #1 team, you gotta stick with them in that matchup.

I am a Boston fan first and the Dodgers have turned into my second favorite team mainly because of Manny and to some extent Joe Torre. I have always been a die hard Manny Rameriez fan, but I will root against him when they face Boston.

Texas Chili Dog
01-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Here is how I see it. You can root for the Cardinals as long as you don't root for them when they play against the Rangers. Also if you were to buy any of their 2006 championship gear, that is a major no-no. Now if you want to buy a Pujols jersey, knock yourself out. Thing is you can't wear both teams gear when they play each other. If the Rangers are your #1 team, you gotta stick with them in that matchup.

yep, I'm a big Braves fan. But if the day ever arrived when the Braves played the Rangers in the World Series, I would without a doubt, 100% cheer for the Rangers. For the record, I hope they never play in a WS, because the fact one of them has to lose would diminish the fact one of them will win. I guess I'm more of a glass-is-half-empty kind of person.

IronMexican
01-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I have 5 NFL teams. The Pats are my second favorite :king

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 08:48 PM

I am a Boston fan first and the Dodgers have turned into my second favorite team mainly because of Manny and to some extent Joe Torre. I have always been a die hard Manny Rameriez fan, but I will root against him when they face Boston.
Yeah..that's pretty much the way it would be. Rangers are my top team, St. Louis is #2.

Texas Chili Dog
01-01-2010, 09:29 PM
If I had a #2 team in the NFL, I would have two top candidates.

1) Lions, because I can guarantee I am the biggest Matthew Stafford homer you have ever talked to. That is a promise.

2) Chiefs, because they originated in Dallas and Lamar Hunt was the man.

IronMexican
01-01-2010, 09:32 PM
chiefs are gay

ATRAIN
01-05-2010, 01:14 PM
I like other teams and I will root for them in the post season if the stros dont make it. Im a fan of baseball but that being said NO you shouldnt be a fan of a team you really dont have any ties too and NO your father in law rooting for them is no reason.

Bukefal
01-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Why asking? This is a personal thing. If you are fan of a team and another team and maybe another team, that's your choice. If you feel its right and good, of course it can. I think its such a BS people saying that you cant be fans if you are this or that or blablablabla.

You can be a fan of whomever you want to be. If you enjoy it, that is what matters.

EricB
01-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Welcome to the cardinals rangers dual fan club :) I grew up a cardinal fan cause my family is from the Lou. I became a ranger fan as well growing up in SA.

I don't see a problemwith it all. Two different leagues.

to21
01-06-2010, 11:08 AM
No...maybe....

lefty
01-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Well, I was a Montreal Expos fan, but they have relocated :flipoff; I've been rooting for the Red Sox since the 2004 series vs the Yankees

Before moving to Montreal, I used to like Cleveland because of the movie ("the Indians") :lol

symple19
01-08-2010, 12:48 AM
I only have 1 team in every sport. I respect other teams for running class organizations but I will never be a fan.

this

Andrew Bynum
01-08-2010, 01:14 AM
Ranger fans need another team to cheer for, cause the Rangers have and never will win a fucking thing.

LMAO Matt Holiday

jag
01-08-2010, 03:58 PM
I see where 90210 is coming from...but i've always had issues with people who have 2 or 3 favorite teams. It's like it gives them the ability to root for another team if their "#1" team loses. It's not right. If your team loses, you should sit there in shame and watch someone else take it home. It's what makes sports great. Because when you finally win it, you'll have "earned" it.

I moved from Texas to TN and even attended UT Knox for two years before transferring...but i grew up, religiously, a Spurs, Cowboys, Aggies , Astros and Stars fan. Both my parents and older sister went to TAMU...i grew up around that. The started Aggies sucking ass, but I still couldn't give that up and start sporting Vols Orange everywhere and act like that's what i was all about. You pick a team and you stick with that shit.