PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley: Spurs are the second best team in the West.

Tacker
01-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Discuss...

mavsfan1000
01-01-2010, 12:29 AM
He will always put them above the mavs. Mavs are the second best team though. ;)

wanggi
01-01-2010, 12:33 AM
Barkley is known as a big mouth and Suns traitor.

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 12:35 AM
matter of opinion. Right now, they're playing like it...but that could change at any moment. (I hope not)

Ghazi
01-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Theyre "playing like it" against shit competition.

ffadicted
01-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Barkley's always loved the Spurs to be honest, so I'm not surprised.

Indazone
01-01-2010, 12:48 AM
When has Barkley ever been right? Mr. Barkley I will kiss Kenny Smith's @ss if Yao ever scores more than 19 points.

:lol

gaKNOW!blee
01-01-2010, 12:49 AM

Huh? They haven't played the Mavs in a while :huh

see what I did there? :lol

pawe
01-01-2010, 12:49 AM
He's just being honest.

Brazil
01-01-2010, 12:50 AM
I don't know but a 30 points win against Miami is a very good performance.

iggypop123
01-01-2010, 12:52 AM
lakers dont have artest and nuggets dont have billups so it makes sense in that context

Tacker
01-01-2010, 01:01 AM
Unfortunately when they went against above .500 teams they were a shit team and everyone acknowledged that, but they've obviously gotten better and everything is in sync right now. Put this current streaking Spurs team in the beginning of the season and they would have won most of those above .500 games.

Danny.Zhu
01-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Right now, Mavs is the second best.

xellos88330
01-01-2010, 02:28 AM
On paper the Mavs are the second best team in the west right now. Over the past few games, the Spurs seem to be on the rise and starting to figure out their identity and playing like a team. I am predicting by the end of January the Spurs will clearly be #1 or 2 depending on their matchups with the Lakers.

Chris
01-01-2010, 02:35 AM
1. Lakers
2. Mavs/Spurs
3. Suns/Nuggets
4. Houston
5. Portland
6. OKC/Utah

BlackSwordsMan
01-01-2010, 02:38 AM
hornets
spurs
god bless charles barkley

tlongII
01-01-2010, 02:55 AM
Does it really matter who's second best?

wanggi
01-01-2010, 03:05 AM
Barkley's comment is 5hit.

lefty
01-01-2010, 03:21 AM
lakers dont have artest and nuggets dont have billups so it makes sense in that context

But we don't have Finley

:rollin

The Franchise
01-01-2010, 03:29 AM
Barkley also said the Rockets would only win 20 games. We are already there you fat degenerate!!!

iggypop123
01-01-2010, 03:48 AM
But we don't have Finley

probably explains your current run

:rollin

pauls931
01-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Problem is LA is still way up there and 2nd place is a crap shoot. I'd guess denver, spurs right now. Poor portland should be there but injuries will catch up to them. I'd place the suns around 4/5 if they pull their heads out.

Rummpd
01-01-2010, 09:31 AM
and the Sky is blue - healthy these absolutely loaded Spurs are not only the 2nd best but in the end will be the best in the West and win the title.

FkLA
01-01-2010, 09:41 AM
I dont think Charles was talking about them being the second best body of work so far this season, cause that certainly hasnt been the case. I think he meant that the Spurs will eventually be the Lakers biggest obstacle. Also regarding the Lakers, people buy into the hype too much...are they the defending champs and are they currently the best team out West? Absolutely, but people act like theyre completely unbeatable and that there's this huge gap between them and the competition. People talk about the Spurs competition and how theyve had it easy and havent performed against top teams, but conveniently ignore that the Lakeshow has had the most home-friendly schedule in the league and has gotten embarrased by top teams (Cavs, Thuggets, Mavs). Their bench is arguably the worst in the league and Bynum looks to be turning into a non-factor again. Alot of media and fans act like theyre flawless and invisible when in reality theyre very far from being that.

KSeal
01-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Even with no bench and a awful Bynum and Lamar the Lakers are still the best team out West. Better hope Bynum and Lamar don't wake up and the Lakers don't make a move to improve the bench.

Chieflion
01-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Anthony Randolph is tempting me to do something I don't want to do.

FkLA
01-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Even with no bench and a awful Bynum and Lamar the Lakers are still the best team out West. Better hope Bynum and Lamar don't wake up and the Lakers don't make a move to improve the bench.

And you better hope Ginobili, Parker, and Jefferson dont wake up...

I actually give the Lakers their due though, I said they are the best in the West I just dont buy the whole notion that theyre far and away better than the rest of the pack. I give them the edge over the Nuggets, Spurs, and Mavs just not by a huge margin.

NRHector
01-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Even with no bench and a awful Bynum and Lamar the Lakers are still the best team out West. Better hope Bynum and Lamar don't wake up and the Lakers don't make a move to improve the bench.Bynum and Lamar better wake up because your team right now doesn't look very tough

Mr Magnificent
01-01-2010, 10:40 AM
I dont think Charles was talking about them being the second best body of work so far this season, cause that certainly hasnt been the case. I think he meant that the Spurs will eventually be the Lakers biggest obstacle. Also regarding the Lakers, people buy into the hype too much...are they the defending champs and are they currently the best team out West? Absolutely, but people act like theyre completely unbeatable and that there's this huge gap between them and the competition. People talk about the Spurs competition and how theyve had it easy and havent performed against top teams, but conveniently ignore that the Lakeshow has had the most home-friendly schedule in the league and has gotten embarrased by top teams (Cavs, Thuggets, Mavs). Their bench is arguably the worst in the league and Bynum looks to be turning into a non-factor again. Alot of media and fans act like theyre flawless and invisible when in reality theyre very far from being that.

I'm sorry but I just found this part Fucking hilarious. Have you looked at the spurs schedule and the number of Home games they've played vs road games? It's basically the same as the Lakers while still having the lesser SOS. The Lakers have not been fully healthy ALL YEAR but still have the top record in the league while the Spurs are 8th. LOL, I mean really...just shut the fuck up.

Rummpd
01-01-2010, 10:51 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings/_/page/2

Spurs higher than the LAL right now using a semi scientific method - do I agree - no at least not yet but the Spurs are surging while LAL is a mirage.

FkLA
01-01-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm sorry but I just found this part Fucking hilarious. Have you looked at the spurs schedule and the number of Home games they've played vs road games? It's basically the same as the Lakers while still having the lesser SOS. The Lakers have not been fully healthy ALL YEAR but still have the top record in the league while the Spurs are 8th. LOL, I mean really...just shut the fuck up.

No shit, notice how I said people bring up the SOS and home/road games against the Spurs but conveniently ignore that when talking about the Lakers. In other words if the Spurs get criticized for that so should the Lakeshow. Although I do have to point out that not even the Spurs compared to the home/road favoritism the Lakers had the first twenty games or so, noone was set up to come out strong out of the gates like the Lakers were...what was it like the 17 of the first 20 games were at home for them? Dont even bring up the injury BS either, youre not getting any pity from any Spurs fans considering the early season injuries we had that contributed to the slow start.

Why so insecure though, Im still giving your boys in purple and gold the nod as the best team out West. Im simply saying they arent far and away better than everyone else like media and fans make it out to be.

Mr Magnificent
01-01-2010, 11:38 AM
No shit, notice how I said people bring up the SOS and home/road games against the Spurs but conveniently ignore that when talking about the Lakers. In other words if the Spurs get criticized for that so should the Lakeshow. Although I do have to point out that not even the Spurs compared to the home/road favoritism the Lakers had the first twenty games or so, noone was set up to come out strong out of the gates like the Lakers were...what was it like the 17 of the first 20 games were at home for them? Dont even bring up the injury BS either, youre not getting any pity from any Spurs fans considering the early season injuries we had that contributed to the slow start.

Why so insecure though, Im still giving your boys in purple and gold the nod as the best team out West. Im simply saying they arent far and away better than everyone else like media and fans make it out to be.

I agree that the Lakers should get criticized for it but not as much seeing as they still have the top record in the league. Don't you think if the Lakers had the same record as the Spurs they'd be getting criticized just as much if not more? And the fact still remains that the Lakers have been experiencing their share of injuries as well all season. When you lose guys during the course of a season while never being healthy as a unit you're going to go through dropoffs just as the Lakers are now. The two things that make Lakers so dangerous is their versatility and chemistry...they're obviously missing one right now.

And the Lakers aren't far away the best team in the league, but they are still the best when fully healthy, no one is denying that fact. Who do you think could seriously beat the Lakers in a 7 game series currently when fully healthy? Boston is the only team that comes close in my opinion but still don't stand a chance without HCA.

Tacker
01-01-2010, 11:43 AM

You're an idiot. Bynum and Odom's stats are the exact same as last year with odom 2 points down from last year in scoring so they obviously are not playing like shit.

Second Parker's and ginobili's numbers are way down from last year and 2008 and so for the Spurs to be where they are at with out their best doing their best means theirs going to be some noise from the Spurs when they all get back to their star status.

FkLA
01-01-2010, 12:06 PM
I agree that the Lakers should get criticized for it but not as much seeing as they still have the top record in the league. Don't you think if the Lakers had the same record as the Spurs they'd be getting criticized just as much if not more? And the fact still remains that the Lakers have been experiencing their share of injuries as well all season. When you lose guys during the course of a season while never being healthy as a unit you're going to go through dropoffs just as the Lakers are now. The two things that make Lakers so dangerous is their versatility and chemistry...they're obviously missing one right now.

And the Lakers aren't far away the best team in the league, but they are still the best when fully healthy, no one is denying that fact. Who do you think could seriously beat the Lakers in a 7 game series currently when fully healthy? Boston is the only team that comes close in my opinion but still don't stand a chance without HCA.

Thats the thing though, people dont even bring it up when talking about the Lakers...they never mention the fact that they have had a home-heavy schedule or that they have faltered against tough competition. As a result people buy into the hype that theyre this invisible unbeatable team and I just dont see it, the team is far from that. As far as health goes, the Lakers were fine since Pau returned unless you want to count Walton or Kobe's broken finger as significant injuries...although now they do have to deal with Artest's concussion. Its not like the Lakers are the only ones though, the Spurs had them early in the season as well. The Celtics are suffering from them now, look at poor Portland dealing with them all season long, the Thuggets are missing Billups, etc.

I like a healthy Celtics team over the Lakers, Ive been saying it all season long. Before Pierce's and KG's injuries they were playing the best ball, they were right there record wise with the Lakers and had like an 11-1 record on the road. There's a few teams out West that I think are more than capable of pulling off the upset against the Lakers as well, Lakers are the favorites out West but certain teams can hang with them.

gaKNOW!blee
01-01-2010, 12:09 PM
my pussy hurts so i hide behind my trolls

Killakobe81
01-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Agree ...right now they look good. Dallas HAD been playing ... the best ball of the Western contenders including the Lakers. BUt we will see theylost last night and have Lakers on sunday. Now the Spurs are playing that way ...
Lakers are two supehman efforts from Kobe from losing 4 straight ... how people can honestly say right now (this season) anyone is playing better is beyond me ... without Kobe this team would be average ...Don't get me wrong without Gasol they would maybe be 1st round and out ...but Kobe is carrying them most of this year ...

spursncowboys
01-01-2010, 02:57 PM
+1. However, maybe it is not that they are better than the Mavs but that the Mavs suck more.

DPG21920
01-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Why do people take issue with this? Like someone else explained already, by no means was Charles saying that the Spurs were playing the best ball. He did not even try and quantify what he was saying with regards to records.

He said he thinks the Spurs have the pieces, that IF they all come together, they are the second best team in the west. It is not that far fetched if a few scenarios come to fruition.

Greg Oden
01-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Dirk didn't want to go to Auburn. I so sad. I hate the Mavericks :cry :cry

DAF86
01-01-2010, 03:04 PM

The Celtics are the best when fully healthy.

DPG21920
01-01-2010, 03:05 PM
He said the Mavs were playing well. Just because some would rank, in this regard, the Spurs over the Mavs does not mean they hate the Mavs. Barkley has always been a huge vocal supporter of Dirk's play.

Greg Oden
01-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Right. When Dirk made his comments before the Nuggets series, and even after, he was salivating like he'd won a free year supply of Ding Dongs.

DPG21920
01-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Are you saying Barkley is not a Dirk supporter? Dirk should not have said that and Barkley was 100% correct. He was mad a Dirk for being such a wuss about it and being "pc". No one can stop Dirk when he is on and he should not have let a bunch of Karl's think they could.

Shank
01-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Are you saying Barkley is not a Dirk supporter? Dirk should not have said that and Barkley was 100% correct. He was mad a Dirk for being such a wuss about it and being "pc". No one can stop Dirk when he is on and he should not have let a bunch of Karl's think they could.

Barkley, though, ignores the fact that Dirk shit all over any Nugget that tried to guard him in that series. Regardless of Dirk's praise of how Denver tried to defend him, those quotes were blown out of proportion and no longer applicable when he did what he did.

DPG21920
01-01-2010, 03:17 PM
I agree to a certain degree, but you have to understand how Barkley was as a player and the great players he has played against. They all had a different mindset. He has Dirk on that level in his mind and he wants Dirk to have that attitude.

It is not how Dirk is wired though. It frustrates Barkely, only because he holds him in such high regard. That is the exact opposite of hate.

spursfan1000
01-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Im not too sure I can agree with this.

1.Lakers
2.Nuggets
3.Mavs
4.Spurs

Spurs still need alot to prove.

Findog
01-01-2010, 03:43 PM

:toast

2-10 against .500 or better teams. Wake me up when they beat somebody besides the T-Pups.

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 03:44 PM
lol insecure Mavs fan. I didn't even say it was a fact..I just said right now they're playing like it, and you have to jump in with your two cents. They've won 10 out of 12 and 4 straight...that's damn good...doesn't matter who you're playing.

Will Hunting
01-01-2010, 03:45 PM
lol insecure Mavs fan. I didn't even say it was a fact..I just said right now they're playing like it, and you have to jump in with your two cents. They've won 10 out of 12 and 4 straight...that's damn good...doesn't matter who you're playing.

Um, actually it does, but I guess when you're a homer being able to beat the clippers = contender.

BadOdor
..doesn't matter who you're playing.

Actually, if they wanna be considered contenders, it kinda does.

Findog
I agree to a certain degree, but you have to understand how Barkley was as a player and the great players he has played against. They all had a different mindset. He has Dirk on that level in his mind and he wants Dirk to have that attitude.

It is not how Dirk is wired though. It frustrates Barkely, only because he holds him in such high regard. That is the exact opposite of hate.

Who is to say that Dirk doesn't have that attitude? They were innocent comments. His play indicates that he doesn't hold any of the Nuggets in high regard when it comes to their ability to "guard" him. Are you saying if he didn't say those things that he would've played any better?

I could care less about Barkley's "mindset." Dirk has a work ethic that rivals Kobe. Barkley spent his career eating and drinking and not even coming close to maximizing his talent. I'll take Dirk's career/work ethic/mindset over Barkley's.

Will Hunting
01-01-2010, 03:46 PM

:lmao so stupid two people simultaneously say the same thing disputing it

Findog
01-01-2010, 03:46 PM
They've won 10 out of 12 and 4 straight...that's damn good...doesn't matter who you're playing.

They are also 2-10 against .500 or better teams.

Spursmania
01-01-2010, 03:49 PM
:toast

2-10 against .500 or better teams. Wake me up when they beat somebody besides the T-Pups.

Yes, Because you and Ghazi are much more the authority in BB than Barkley. :lol

You're such a Mav Homer, Findog:p:

BadOdor
01-01-2010, 03:50 PM
:lmao so stupid two people simultaneously say the same thing disputing it

gotta put spur fan in his place:toast

Spursmania
01-01-2010, 03:52 PM
It's just an opinion, too early in the season and there's so much BB to be played. Spurs are only going to get better and to pretend that they don't count is wishful thinking.

Anyone who thinks the Spurs aren't going to be in the thick of things needs to start make sig bets now.

BadOdor
01-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Spurs are only going to get better and to .

Unless of course manu or duncan get injured again:toast

Findog
01-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes, Because you and Ghazi are much more the authority in BB than Barkley. :lol

I didn't realize Barkley was some sort of Basketball God whose opinions are not to be questioned. He said Dirk was a pussy for some throwaway comments about how Neck Lips and the Birdman weren't completely terrible when it came to defending him, even though he was lighting them up.

Muser
01-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Unless of course manu or duncan get injured again:toast

Damn son, get that weak shit out of here.

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Spurs are only going to get better

That's what you cucks said a year ago!

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 04:09 PM
They are also 2-10 against .500 or better teams.
as they usually are pretty much every season to start the season. Dude...you know this...you're an intelligent fan.

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 04:10 PM
That's what you cucks said a year ago!
Yeah..and you said OKC was going to reach the playoffs this year too.

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Yeah..and you said OKC was going to reach the playoffs this year too.

Way to own yourself you nickelback loving cuckold, the Thunder are currently a playoff team.

Spursfan092120
I'd expect this from you, but not Findog..so I'll explain. This is what the Spurs do every year...they play shitty against the good teams in the first half of the season, and better in the second half, after the rodeo road trip. They're showing signs of that team right now, and will play better in the second half, and all the people who've been talking about how the Spurs are too old....just like they did in 03, 05, and 07...will see once more that the Spurs are right in the thick of it. If you honestly think the Spurs aren't going to be right there at the end, one of the top 4 seeds, I'll sig bet you right now...6 months...we pick each other's sig and avatar. And if you do truly believe they won't, I see why you're always pinked...they don't want idiots starting threads around here.

Spursfan092120
Way to own yourself you nickelback loving cuckold, the Thunder are currently a playoff team.
They're going nowhere...period...if you truly think they're going to hold that advantage over Utah, you're dumber than I thought.

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 04:15 PM
They're going nowhere...period.

Based on what you dumb faggot, they are currently the 8 seed, how am I an idiot for predicting a team that is currently an 8 seed will make the playoffs :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Greg Oden
01-01-2010, 04:16 PM
They're going nowhere...period.

They're going as far as the Spurs then.

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 04:17 PM
They're going nowhere...period...if you truly think they're going to hold that advantage over Utah, you're dumber than I thought.

Right, cause they didn't just beat Utah the other night :lmao

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Based on what you dumb faggot, they are currently the 8 seed, how am I an idiot for predicting a team that is currently an 8 seed will make the playoffs :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao
lol...dumb faggot? Because of a sports opinion? Wow...you're pretty fuckin psycho there, aren't ya?

They're going as far as the Spurs then.
or as far as Oden's going.

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 04:18 PM
lol...dumb faggot? Because of a sports opinion? Wow...you're pretty fuckin psycho there, aren't ya?

Answer my question.

DAF86
01-01-2010, 04:18 PM
they are also 2-10 against .500 or better teams.

3-10

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Because of a sports opinion?

Saying that the team with the 8th best record in the west is a playoff team isn't an opinion......it's a fact. Learn the difference between the two.

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Right, cause they didn't just beat Utah the other night :lmao
Yes..they beat Utah by one point because Durant got 31 and Williams only got 14. I'll say it again..if you think they're going to hold that lead, you're insane.

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Saying that the team with the 8th best record in the west is a playoff team isn't an opinion......it's a fact. Learn the difference between the two.
No..it's my opinion that the Thunder aren't going anywhere...where that opinion turns me into a homosexual is beyond me.

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Yes..they beat Utah by one point because Durant got 31 and Williams only got 14.

Yeah......cause a player who averages 28.5 per game getting 31 is a complete fluke :lmao

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 04:22 PM
No..it's my opinion that the Thunder aren't going anywhere

It's your opinion I'm dumb for saying the Thunder will make the playoffs next year, please explain that.

Venti Quattro
01-01-2010, 04:23 PM
It's your opinion I'm dumb for saying the Thunder will make the playoffs next year, please explain that.
They might make it this year

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Answer my question.
First off, I never called you an idiot..that word never came out of my mouth when it comes to you. Second off, Utah's a better overall team than OKC..they have the same record, and Utah will end up passing them.

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 04:24 PM
They might make it this year

Meant to say that, which is exactly why I'm baffled as to how I'm "insane" for thinking that.

Muser
01-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Actually the Thunder aren't a playoff team, if they are the 8th seed when the playoffs begin they are a playoff team.

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Yeah......cause a player who averages 28.5 per game getting 31 is a complete fluke :lmao
No...but Utah played horrible for most of that game..they're better than that..and they're better than OKC.

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 04:26 PM
No...but Utah played horrible for most of that game..they're better than that..and they're better than OKC.

My Thunda are the reason they played horrible.

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 04:28 PM
My Thunda are the reason they played horrible.
lmao...Your Thunda are the reason they missed open jumpshots? Please...OKC's got a Seattle jinx..they're going nowhere...

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 04:30 PM
lmao...Your Thunda are the reason they missed open jumpshots? Please...OKC's got a Seattle jinx..they're going nowhere...

OK.....so I use facts and simple logic as my argument, and you use a "seattle jinx" :lmao

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 04:33 PM
OK.....so I use facts and simple logic as my argument, and you use a "seattle jinx" :lmao
Simple logic? I'm a homosexual because I think OKC isn't getting into the playoffs..yeah..that's logical... :lmao:lmao:lmao

They're going nowhere.

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Simple logic? I'm a homosexual because I think OKC isn't getting into the playoffs..yeah..that's logical... :lmao:lmao:lmao

They're going nowhere.

No, you're a homo cause you like nickelback

DPG21920
01-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Who is to say that Dirk doesn't have that attitude? They were innocent comments. His play indicates that he doesn't hold any of the Nuggets in high regard when it comes to their ability to "guard" him. Are you saying if he didn't say those things that he would've played any better?

I could care less about Barkley's "mindset." Dirk has a work ethic that rivals Kobe. Barkley spent his career eating and drinking and not even coming close to maximizing his talent. I'll take Dirk's career/work ethic/mindset over Barkley's.

:rolleyes.

Mav fans are getting increasingly sensitive to anything Maverick all of the sudden.

Dirk does not have the work ethic of Kobe. He does not have the same attitude as some other players as well. He admits that. Kobe, would go anywhere and do anything to win.

Dirk wants to win, but he would not leave the Mavs to do so. He is too loyal. His make up is different from that of other "intense" superstars. Dirk does not have that cocky, arrogant, "no one is going to stop me" mindset, or he does not display it.

That is not to say one way is right and one way is wrong. It is just that the majority of the elite players tend to have that mindset.

You are speaking about things "they way the should be" vs. the "way they are". Point is, Barkely said what he said about the Spurs and that does not mean Barkley hates Dirk or the Mavs.

Also, lol at trying to discredit Barkley's career and work ethic. He was a beast and one of the NBA's 50 greatest players.

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 04:37 PM
No, you're a homo cause you like nickelback
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao
Thanks...now you really show your idiocy. So my taste in music makes me a homosexual, and that is why the Thunder are going to make the Playoffs this year. Guess I better tell me wife. She's really gonna be pissed.

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks...now you really show your idiocy. So my taste in music makes me a homosexual, and that is why the Thunder are going to make the Playoffs this year. Guess I better tell me wife. She's really gonna be pissed.

You being a homo has nothing to with the OKC Thunder argument......I just like to call you a homo while you demonstrate your mental retardation by saying there's no way the Thunder will make the playoffs.

ChumpDumper
01-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I just like to call you a homoWishful thinking on your part.

There are easier ways to get a date.

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Wishful thinking on your part.

There are easier ways to get a date.

Aw how cute Spurfan coming to help each other!

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Aw how cute Spurfan coming to help each other!
Nothing to do with Spurfan...has to do with two intelligent people realizing another person isn't quite so intelligent.

Spursfan092120
01-01-2010, 04:50 PM
You being a homo has nothing to with the OKC Thunder argument......I just like to call you a homo while you demonstrate your mental retardation by saying there's no way the Thunder will make the playoffs.
And I just like to piss you off and have you call me a homo by saying the Thunder won't make the playoffs...which they won't.

dirk4mvp
01-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm hungry as shit. But I don't want to miss any of the Rose Bowl.

dirk4mvp
01-01-2010, 04:52 PM

Thus concluding, if I go get something to eat, I'll miss some of the Rose Bowl.

Thundaluva
Oregon is gonna get chode bloaded I saiddddddd

Findog
Dirk does not have the work ethic of Kobe.

If not, it's damn close. They are both guys that eat, breathe and sleep basketball and have to be locked out of the gym.

Also, lol at trying to discredit Barkley's career and work ethic. He was a beast and one of the NBA's 50 greatest players.

Why wouldn't I when he wants to criticize Dirk's "makeup?" Barkley was a great player, but he left a LOT on the table. By his own admission he partied too much and did not get the most out of his talent. I will take Dirk's way over his, if I have to choose. It just makes Barkley's criticism ring a little hollow.

dirk4mvp
01-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Oregon is gonna get chode bloaded I saiddddddd

Whottt's that guy's name?

Masoli I said.

DPG21920
01-01-2010, 04:57 PM
The point is that he does not hate on Dirk or the Mavs. He has a ton of respect for Dirk and his game. Charles, despite his flaws, just had a take no prisoners mindset. Like when he trash talked Angola in the Olympics.

Just because he said what he did, does not mean he hates on him or that what he said had no merit.

Spursmania
01-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Thus concluding, if I go get something to eat, I'll miss some of the Rose Bowl.

Order Pizza and wings for delivery dude.

DPG21920
01-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Order Pizza and wings for delivery dude.

Simple solution FTW.

Findog
01-01-2010, 05:02 PM
The point is that he does not hate on Dirk or the Mavs.

I never said that he had an animus towards Dirk/Mavs. I don't have any beef with his opinion that the Spurs will come together and end up as the biggest challenge to LA. I don't think they will, but that's a more than respectable opinion. I just profoundly disagree with his comments about Dirk/Denver. I mean, Dirk put up monster stats against the Nugs. If he had said "Neck Lips and Birdman CAN'T GUARD ME!" instead of "Yeah, they're good players and they make me work for my points," would he have scored a few more points or grabbed a couple more rebounds? The hell kind of sense does that make? Nugs won that series because they were much better than the Mavs. Dirk was arguably the best player in that series.

He has a ton of respect for Dirk and his game. Charles, despite his flaws, just had a take no prisoners mindset. Like when he trash talked Angola in the Olympics.

:lol I wonder where that take no prisoners mindset was against Chicago in 93 or all those years Philly was going home early.

monosylab1k
01-01-2010, 05:02 PM

Just go get some food. Here's what will happen - Ohio State will look thoroughly unimpressive while Kirk Herbstreit gushes over the athletic ability of Terrell Pryor.

monosylab1k
01-01-2010, 05:03 PM
:lol I wonder where that take no prisoners mindset was against Chicago in 93 or all those years Philly was going home early.

Or when he thought he was joining the greatest Big 3 of all time in Houston.

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 05:04 PM
The Rose bowl was supposed to start at 2:30.....it's 3 now, and hasn't started.....wtf?

mookie_crew
01-01-2010, 05:07 PM
They're delaying the eventual bloadation of the Suckeyes' chode.

ROFL ROFL

Thundaluva
01-01-2010, 05:07 PM
:lmao mookie_crew's sig.

DPG21920
01-01-2010, 05:09 PM
I never said that he had an animus towards Dirk/Mavs. I don't have any beef with his opinion that the Spurs will come together and end up as the biggest challenge to LA. I don't think they will, but that's a more than respectable opinion. I just profoundly disagree with his comments about Dirk/Denver. I mean, Dirk put up monster stats against the Nugs. If he had said "Neck Lips and Birdman CAN'T GUARD ME!" instead of "Yeah, they're good players and they make me work for my points," would he have scored a few more points or grabbed a couple more rebounds? The hell kind of sense does that make? Nugs won that series because they were much better than the Mavs. Dirk was arguably the best player in that series.

Dude, like I said, theoretically you are correct. Dirk saying what he did would not make him grab less/more rebounds or score more points. But it is just widely understood that you don't say stuff like that in general. Once again, not a big deal, but Charles was just saying what everyone knows to be true. But Dirk does not really care and he is a pretty humble and honest guy.

Brah, that is like saying where was Dirk's close to Kobe's work ethic when he needed to improve his post up and defense when he was bounce by Miami and G.S.

DPG21920
01-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Also, just because someone has a mindset does not mean it works out all of the time. Kobe is a killer and he missed the playoffs.

monosylab1k
01-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Here's what will happen - Ohio State will look thoroughly unimpressive while Kirk Herbstreit gushes over the athletic ability of Terrell Pryor.

rofl nice prediction dipshit.

mookie_crew
01-01-2010, 05:23 PM
He just can't do things like that, corso!

monosylab1k
01-01-2010, 05:24 PM
I didn't necessarily agree with Barkley's comments, or the timing of them, but I do agree with the idea that a big part of the NBA game is having some attitude. Which is basically the point Barkley was really trying to get across.

Dirk too easily allows opposing players to "punk" him. Whether it's Shaq putting an elbow in his grill in the Finals, David West tapping his face, K-Mart putting a flagrant on him, the entire Golden State fiasco.....Dirk just takes getting shit on while offering no resistance whatsoever. You can't have that type of softness and expect to be a true leader in the NBA.

Obviously Dirk shouldn't go all Ron Artest when an opposing player tries to punk him, but he's gotta show some backbone. Get in the guy's face, call him a motherfucker, make sure that he knows not to try and pull that shit again.

And since Dirk is the leader, that type of soft attitude trickles down to the rest of the team. That's why the rest of the team will let shit snowball on them during games, that's why complete meltdowns happen so often for the Mavs.

BUMP
01-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Why is it that SpurFan decides to bask in the glory of a 30 point win over a mediocre team in December and get away with it, but when the Mavs beat an elite team they get the same ol "regular season champions, lol it doesnt mean anything" schtick?

DPG21920
01-01-2010, 05:27 PM
I didn't necessarily agree with Barkley's comments, or the timing of them, but I do agree with the idea that a big part of the NBA game is having some attitude. Which is basically the point Barkley was really trying to get across.

Dirk too easily allows opposing players to "punk" him. Whether it's Shaq putting an elbow in his grill in the Finals, David West tapping his face, K-Mart putting a flagrant on him, the entire Golden State fiasco.....Dirk just takes getting shit on while offering no resistance whatsoever. You can't have that type of softness and expect to be a true leader in the NBA.

Obviously Dirk shouldn't go all Ron Artest when an opposing player tries to punk him, but he's gotta show some backbone. Get in the guy's face, call him a motherfucker, make sure that he knows not to try and pull that shit again.

And since Dirk is the leader, that type of soft attitude trickles down to the rest of the team. That's why the rest of the team will let shit snowball on them during games, that's why complete meltdowns happen so often for the Mavs.

That is what I was trying to say. Dirk just does not have that attitude that other elite players has. It is just not in him.

TD 21
01-01-2010, 05:46 PM

It's funny how the Nuggets have had to do so little for so many to consider them clearly above the Spurs. Clearly, they're not a one hit wonder like the Hornets were, but really what have they done to be considered clearly above the Spurs? Despite being remarkably healthy and flying under the radar last season, they still finished with the same amount of wins as the Spurs, who had a limited roster outside of the injury riddled core and played in the toughest division in basketball.

Now, the Spurs are arguably the deepest team in the league and have been significantly outplaying (I don't want to hear this "easy schedule shit" from Lakers fans, who spend the first quarter of every season playing virtually every game at home, spaced out, against weak competition themselves, yet had no issue anointing or having anyone else anointing them and slobbering over them on a daily basis) the Nuggets for a while now. The Nuggets get one injury and instantly there's a built in excuse. The Spurs core was injury riddled last year and instantly that meant that they were "old and no longer dominant or relevant".

Down the stretch last season, the Nuggets were remarkably hot. They started out this season in similar fashion and looked superior to the Spurs, mostly due to continuity and chemistry. Now that the Spurs are beginning to forge a semblance of chemistry themselves, suddenly the Nuggets don't look so superior all of a sudden. Go back before the injuries to the Spurs core and they were always superior to the Nuggets, yet because of a couple of significant injuries and a remarkably hot stretch, people have the nerve to pretend as if the Nuggets are unquestionably better than the Spurs.

BUMP
01-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Now, the Spurs are arguably the deepest team in the league and have been significantly outplaying

(I don't want to hear this "easy schedule shit" from Lakers fans, who spend the first quarter of every season playing virtually every game at home, spaced out, against weak competition themselves, yet had no issue anointing or having anyone else anointing them and slobbering over them on a daily basis)

One is the defending champion, while the other was just first round fodder the prior year.

TD 21
01-01-2010, 06:38 PM

One is the defending champion, while the other was just first round fodder the prior year.

DPG has the team stats that show how impressive the Spurs bench has been. It's not at all a stretch to say that the Spurs are the deepest team in the league. It's just not the popular thing to say and in many fans minds that often makes it not credible.

As we're seeing with the Suns this year, never take a brief snap shot of a quality team and presume that that is what they are. If the Suns aren't quite what they were from 05-07, they're certainly a lot better than they showed in '08.

The Spurs were "first round fodder" because two of their three best players were injured, their role players had aged and they were a dying breed in the NBA: a contender NOT paying the luxury tax, meaning when they sustained those injuries, they didn't have the depth to have others fill in adequately.

Call the Lakers superior (as of now) and I won't argue, but don't act like their core has accomplished or proven more than the Spurs core has.

BadOdor
01-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Call the Lakers superior (as of now) and I won't argue, but don't act like their core has accomplished or proven more than the Spurs core has.

The lakers went to the finals in the last 2 years, winning the championship last year.

The spurs got thumped in the western conf finals 4-1, and then went on to get thumped by the mavs in the first round last year.

TD 21
01-01-2010, 07:02 PM
The lakers went to the finals in the last 2 years, winning the championship last year.

The spurs got thumped in the western conf finals 4-1, and then went on to get thumped by the mavs in the first round last year.

Thank you for the update.

Arguably their second best player was severely hobbled, plus their was an egregious no-call that decided the swing game in the series and effectively ended the series. Once again, just ignore the circumstances that led to them being "thumped" in the first round last year. But I bet if the Lakers had Gasol not playing at all and Bryant playing severely hobbled and went out in the first round this year, then most would constantly bring that up as the primary reason for their premature demise. Why don't the Spurs, team of the decade, get that sort of respect or get a mulligan? Because you don't like or because they're not media darlings is not a suitable answer.

HarlemHeat37
01-01-2010, 08:55 PM
When healthy, I'd say we are the 2nd best team in the West..as the stats have shown, our struggles against .500 teams have had a huge part to do with Parker and Ginobili..I highly doubt they continue to struggle considering how good they are, it's more about them coming off injuries and adjusting to the new players IMO..health permitting, I'd say we're #2..

I don't mind any arguments for Dallas or Denver, they're obviously legitimate options as the 2nd best team in the West..they would both have better arguments as being better than the Spurs this year, especially Dallas(Denver is overrated)..

I'd go..

Lakers

Spurs
Mavs
Nuggets

Portland
Utah

Ice009
01-01-2010, 08:58 PM

Did you watch any of the games?

Game 1 Spurs had a 20 point lead
Game 2 Spurs got blown out
Game 3 Spurs win by 20
Game 4 Spurs should have won and choked it
Game 5 Spurs had a 20 point lead

The series was 4-1, but we did not get thumped. We could have even won it. Maybe with a healthy Manu we finish off all those games we had a 20 point lead in and win the series 4-1. Maybe if we had the legs to finish off the Game 1 after spending almost all night in NO it's a completely different series. The Lakers were definitely not anywhere near as superior as that 4-1 series leads you to believe. Spurs lost the series and a lot of it is on them, not the Lakers flat out beating them.

We lost the series and that is that, but we sure as fuck didn't get thumped.

HarlemHeat37
01-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Don't forget the Barry no-call..although that should be expected in Laker games..

BadOdor
01-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Did you watch any of the games?

Game 1 Spurs had a 20 point lead
Game 2 Spurs got blown out
Game 3 Spurs win by 20
Game 4 Spurs should have won and choked it
Game 5 Spurs had a 20 point lead

The series was 4-1, but we did not get thumped. We could have even won it. Maybe with a healthy Manu we finish off all those games we had a 20 point lead in and win the series 4-1. Maybe if we had the legs to finish off the Game 1 after spending almost all night in NO it's a completely different series. The Lakers were definitely not anywhere near as superior as that 4-1 series leads you to believe. Spurs lost the series and a lot of it is on them, not the Lakers flat out beating them.

We lost the series and that is that, but we sure as fuck didn't get thumped.

You can have the moral victory argy fan, I don't mind:lol

BadOdor
01-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Don't forget the Barry no-call..although that should be expected in Laker games..

Doesn't matter because the ball hit the rim and lakers should have had the ball with a reset shot clock.

But go ahead and cry some more, spur fan:toast

Ice009
01-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Doesn't matter because the ball hit the rim and lakers should have had the ball with a reset shot clock.

But go ahead and cry some more, spur fan:toast

I didn't include the Barry foul because the Spurs simply gave that game away. We had it won and did everything we could to hand it to the Lakers with mistakes at the end. Again it was the Spurs fault and nothing to do with the Lakers actually taking the game.

Xylus
01-01-2010, 09:05 PM
When healthy, I'd say we are the 2nd best team in the West..as the stats have shown, our struggles against .500 teams have had a huge part to do with Parker and Ginobili..I highly doubt they continue to struggle considering how good they are, it's more about them coming off injuries and adjusting to the new players IMO..health permitting, I'd say we're #2..

I don't mind any arguments for Dallas or Denver, they're obviously legitimate options as the 2nd best team in the West..they would both have better arguments as being better than the Spurs this year, especially Dallas(Denver is overrated)..

I'd go..

Lakers

Spurs
Mavs
Nuggets

Portland
Utah
I can appreciate not counting the Spurs out. They have a tendency to play their best ball in the latter part of the season, we all know this. But the Spurs haven't played this terribly in many years. They're 3-10 against +.500 teams, so what exactly is the justification for saying the Spurs are 2nd best in the West?

Seriously, show me one specific game that proves that the Spurs have what it takes to beat every other team in the West, besides the Lakers.

Here's another question: Who has played more road games, the Lakers or Spurs? By the way Spurs fans talk, you'd think the Lakers have had the easiest schedule in the league so far, especially compared to San Antonio. The answer is: Both have played the same. The Spurs have been given a ridiculously easy schedule to start the year, and they're still playing poorer than those other teams you've mentioned.

I think it's fine to say that the Spurs will put it together, nab a high seed, and be a contender come playoff time. But this sudden surge of San Antonio homerism is enough to make me puke. At least wait until the Spurs actually start playing well before you say they're 2nd best in the West.

At this exact moment in time, right now on January 1st, 2010, the Spurs are the 6th best team in the West. LA, Denver, Dallas, Houston, and Phoenix are all playing better.

HarlemHeat37
01-01-2010, 10:43 PM
First of all, it's an opinion..I can form an argument about why the Spurs are the #2 best team, just like somebody can make an argument for Dallas, Denver or Phoenix..the only argument that can't be made is that the Lakers aren't the #1 team in the West..therefore, I don't see how it's out of the question that the Spurs are or at least will be the #2 team in the West..

I already said that the Mavs and Nuggets would have better arguments than the Spurs as of right now for the #2 best team..so clearly I'm basing this on other aspects..I'm NOT saying the Spurs are currently playing like the #2 best team in the West, I don't believe that..I probably should have clarified..I believe we have the team to be #2 though and that we will be the #2 team soon enough..

The advanced stats and stats in general all support the Spurs in a very good way..this wasn't the case at all last year..we match well with any team in that regard..teams that have the current advanced stats of the Spurs generally have success in the playoffs and at least make the 2nd round..the only stat that doesn't support the Spurs is the record vs. .500 teams, which is what all of you keep basing your arguments on, and I admit that it is concerning..

As I pointed out in a previous thread, the Spurs struggles vs. .500 teams have been largely affected by the poor play of Parker and Ginobili..it's probably been the main reason..my belief is based on the fact that I highly doubt Parker and Ginobili continue to struggle..they're starting to play better as Parker has slightly changed his playing style and Ginobili looks healthy..there's no reason to believe they won't elevate their games to the level that is expected of them..it would be literally impossible for them to have declined from last year's level of play to the level of play they've shown vs. .500 teams this year..

Looking at the losses vs. the .500 teams, we've only had 3 bad losses..Duncan hurt his ankle @ Utah in the 1st half and then he played through it @ Portland..not a coincidence that these were his 2 worst games of the season(IMO)..this isn't a cop-out, because Duncan then missed a couple of games due to the ankle, and the injury was compounded by him playing through it..

The loss vs. Phoenix was bad too, but it was close until the mid-4th..

Every other loss came down to the last 2 minutes of the game, which is why the points margin has been good to the Spurs, which wasn't the case last year..this generally indicates success for a team..

The Spurs have other flaws as well, some of them major, but so do the rest of the teams in the argument for the #2..I believe the Spurs have the best top-level players out of those in the argument, the best coach, the best bench..the fact that Parker has changed his style for better results, Ginobili is starting to look good physically, and Blair has produced in the starting lineup has been the main reason for our recent success..those were the problems vs. the .500 teams, so I expect it to change, which is why I think the Spurs are or will be the #2 team..

HarlemHeat37
01-01-2010, 10:43 PM
btw, I forgot Phoenix on that list..they would be ahead of Portland..

Spursmania
01-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Tell it like it is Harlem, they just don't like to hear it:toast

ElNono
01-01-2010, 10:57 PM

As I was reading this thread, I was thinking how to put together a post like this without sounding like I was hating on Dirk/Mavs... And I don't think it's possible. So I thank you mono for this post, because this is exactly what my impression has been all along, and I think it's the difference between true leaders and extremely talented players that are forced into a leadership position they do not have a feel for. To me, Jason Kidd is more of a leader than Dirk.

Killakobe81
01-02-2010, 01:47 AM
My bad only 3 gamewinners but he had dagger jumpers against OKC, bulls GSW to "ice" the game

BadOdor
01-02-2010, 12:33 PM
This thread shows that Lakers fans are the biggest douche bags in the universe. Kill them all and the world improves, especially the NBA.

[youtube]EGCPUa5hIvI[\youtube]

Lol pinked

Tacker
01-02-2010, 12:34 PM
This thread shows that Lakers fans are the biggest douche bags in the universe. Kill them all and the world improves, especially the NBA.

[youtube]EGCPUa5hIvI[\youtube]

Fail.