PDA

View Full Version : T-Mac is a contract buyout the most likely scenario?

Indazone
01-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Who would want to take on T-Mac's huge albatross contract without proof he can play at the high level he was at? Why would Houston part with him when his expiring is so big? Seems to me a compromise might be the best course of action. Negotiate a smaller buyout and T-Mac becomes a free agent to sign with any team he wants. Sort of like the Steve Francis situation only T-Mac is not getting a 40 million buyout.

By Mark J. Miller

The New York Knicks supposedly have some interest in the Houston Rockets' Tracy McGrady(notes) but the Rockets aren't planning breaking any speed records to trade the expensive star who is on indefinite leave from the team, according to the New York Post.

The Knicks would love to make the playoffs this season, just to show a little progress from the previous couple of horrendous seasons, but losing to the New Jersey Nets like they did last night isn't going to help their chances. But the Knicks are apparently not going to snag McGrady just yet.

The Rockets are apparently planning to talk to a whole bunch of teams. And all that talking could end up for naught if no teams offer anything the Rockets want. The team would then buy out McGrady and he could sign on with a team as a free agent.

The Knicks and Rockets have reportedly had "limited" conversations about a McGrady deal. Extensive talks with any trading partners will happen more next week once the holidays are fully over.

Source: New York Post

iggypop123
01-01-2010, 12:56 AM
i dont see why not and then save some money because he wont get all of his salary in the buyout. it can be negotiated so he leaves some money on the table.

Danny.Zhu
01-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Who can offer the most money for him after a Rockets buyout?

DaDakota
01-01-2010, 03:15 AM
Not from the Rockets, they have no incentive to buy him out unless he takes about $4 million off his contract....which would be stupid.

Now, he might be traded and THEN bought out.

DD

The Franchise
01-01-2010, 03:24 AM
Not from the Rockets, they have no incentive to buy him out unless he takes about $4 million off his contract....which would be stupid.

Now, he might be traded and THEN bought out.

DD

DD why are you such a hateful individual? Your personal feelings always seem to trump what is best for the team. Why is that?

DaDakota
01-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Franchise,

I am not hateful at all, I am just looking at it as a business owner, and not a fan.

The reason that Tmac would not be bought out, is that it doesn't help the Rockets get under the Lux Tax.

If Tracy wanted to be bought out, he would have to take $4 million off the end of his contract to get his freedom, because otherwise it would not benefit the team.

I don't hate McGrady, I just can't stand his prima donna attitude, and now that his skills and quickness are gone, you no longer have to put up with it.

We don't need volume scorers anymore, we need efficiency.....

So, to me, whatever DM does is going to benefit the team, and not even take ONE OUNCE of thought as to how it helps Tracy.

It is just business.

And honestly, I know more about what helps the team than 99.99% of people on the web.

;)

DD