PDA

View Full Version : Firefigher AND Parents HELP

RedsLakers24
01-01-2010, 01:56 AM
ok guys i dont know if you guys remember but a long time ago i told you guys i wanted to quit school and be a firefighter or cop but didnt have the balls to tell my parents, so i finally got the balls and told them today and they got pissed, i told them i wanted to become a firefighter but they said no that if i want to quit school im going to have to pay 1000 dollars for the rent, right now i pay 500 i still live with them, i only work on the wekends because of school, so i dont have that kind of money. they also gave me a car for chrismas 2 years ago a 2008 nissan coupe and now want to take it away because i dont want to go to school, what should i do

Dr. Gonzo
01-01-2010, 01:57 AM
ok guys i dont know if you guys remember but a long time ago i told you guys i wanted to quit school and be a firefighter or cop but didnt have the balls to tell my parents, so i finally got the balls and told them today and they got pissed, i told them i wanted to become a firefighter but they said no that if i want to quit school im going to have to pay 1000 dollars for the rent, right now i pay 500 i still live with them, i only work on the wekends because of school, so i dont have that kind of money. they also gave me a car for chrismas 2 years ago a 2008 nissan coupe and now want to take it away because i dont want to go to school, what should i do

Grow a pair and move out. It would be cheaper.

Jekka
01-01-2010, 02:14 AM
How many more hours do you have until you get a degree? Wouldn't it be smarter to just finish up a degree (which can't hurt you) and then do what you want? There are undergraduate degrees out there that would be relevant to firefighting, like chemistry or forestry or any number of things that would also probably make it easier for you to advance later (or even to do the job better in the first place).

RedsLakers24
01-01-2010, 02:28 AM
How many more hours do you have until you get a degree? Wouldn't it be smarter to just finish up a degree (which can't hurt you) and then do what you want? There are undergraduate degrees out there that would be relevant to firefighting, like chemistry or forestry or any number of things that would also probably make it easier for you to advance later (or even to do the job better in the first place).

i still need kind of alot, im about just finish with my GE's because every damm class at Cal Poly is fucking full, i cant take engineering classes, but i tried taking Dynamics 3 times and cant pass the fucking class, its so hard, Math use to be easy to me then i took this class and cant pass it, i tried getting a tutor but still doesnt work, i just want to go to school for firefighting and just move out so i could just be stress free, im so stressed out right now i dont know whats going to happen, i need to decide soon cuz my parents want to know, if i decide firefighting and not school im in big trouble, my dad wants me to work in his job in which he wakes up at 4 am and gets out at 4pm, and still go to firefighting school, and then pay rent and everything, and take my car away which they gave me for christmas 2 years ago

Jekka
01-01-2010, 02:33 AM
i still need kind of alot, im about just finish with my GE's because every damm class at Cal Poly is fucking full, i cant take engineering classes, but i tried taking Dynamics 3 times and cant pass the fucking class, its so hard, Math use to be easy to me then i took this class and cant pass it, i tried getting a tutor but still doesnt work, i just want to go to school for firefighting and just move out so i could just be stress free, im so stressed out right now i dont know whats going to happen, i need to decide soon cuz my parents want to know, if i decide firefighting and not school im in big trouble, my dad wants me to work in his job in which he wakes up at 4 am and gets out at 4pm, and still go to firefighting school, and then pay rent and everything, and take my car away which they gave me for christmas 2 years ago

So, you either have to get an engineering degree or nothing? Just because one course of study doesn't work out doesn't necessarily mean that college isn't for you. Being a firefighter is great and all, but you shouldn't necessarily have to do either/or between that and college if your parents are willing to help you through school. Also, I would venture to say that firefighting is not "stress free." It just seems pretty reactionary on your part.

RedsLakers24
01-01-2010, 02:37 AM
So, you either have to get an engineering degree or nothing? Just because one course of study doesn't work out doesn't necessarily mean that college isn't for you. Being a firefighter is great and all, but you shouldn't necessarily have to do either/or between that and college if your parents are willing to help you through school. Also, I would venture to say that firefighting is not "stress free." It just seems pretty reactionary on your part.

well to tell you the truth, i always wanted to become a firefigher in 8 an 10 grade i interview a firefighter for school projects because i always wanted that for my career but my parents didnt want me to be one so they made me go to school, they wanted me to do business but im not a business type of person, i cant work in an office my whole life, i rather be working outside doing something different every single day, but they just want me to get a degree but i dont want to waste my time and their money on college anymore i just want to get to my career

TDMVPDPOY
01-01-2010, 03:19 AM
you can always take a year or semester off studies man...but why not suck it up and finished the degree

cause if ur firefighter aspirations dont work out at least you still have ur degree to fall back on.....

iggypop123
01-01-2010, 03:44 AM
dont take a break. i know this woman im my class that came back after 12 yrs to finish off her degree. worst part was she took on a heavy class load this yr and she still didnt qualify to graduate. 5 upper division classes and 1 math class! consider this more carefully

ploto
01-01-2010, 09:51 AM
You can advance better within the fire department if you have a degree, and you will get paid more, as well. I think some places even require a degree now to get into the fire or police academy.

Rogue
01-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Where were you born, OP?

balli
01-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Move out and get a bus pass. And then once you're a self-sufficient firefighter never ever let your parents off the mat for trying to hold you hostage to what career they think is best for you.

Rogue
01-01-2010, 10:03 AM
anyway I don't think the firefighting job fits an Asian midget like the OP.

Rogue
01-01-2010, 10:11 AM
when the water is out of reach, normal firefighters are still able to put out the fire with their urine fast ejected from phallus like the bronze boy in Brussels. but presumably the OP's urethra is too narrow to get done any kind of ejecting work. The trickling urine is too slow to put out the fire.

Clandestino
01-01-2010, 12:18 PM
firefighter applications and by the time they accept it a long time normally. like 1-2 years for some of my friends who have tried.

apply to firefighter school, stay in school, once accepted, then go to firefighter school.

just because you want to be a firefighter doesn't mean you will make... its not police officer school

RedsLakers24
01-01-2010, 03:36 PM
anyway I don't think the firefighting job fits an Asian midget like the OP.

Lol im Mexican, and im 6'4, im from Los Angeles, i also have connections from the LAFD, because i know the chief of that place, because i work in a restaurant and i see him all the time and we talk alot, so im pretty sure he could give me some advice and stuff, im really good friends with him

RedsLakers24
01-01-2010, 03:39 PM
firefighter applications and by the time they accept it a long time normally. like 1-2 years for some of my friends who have tried.

apply to firefighter school, stay in school, once accepted, then go to firefighter school.

just because you want to be a firefighter doesn't mean you will make... its not police officer school

Well you could take firefighter classes at a community college, my university doesnt offer those classes so i have to transfer, and mean while im taking firefighting classes i could just wait till i get accepted, cuz its 2 years of firefighting school

tlongII
01-01-2010, 03:55 PM
I think you should get your degree. Firefighting will still be there when you get out of school. You will miss out on meeting a lot of hot coeds if you don't go to school.

Rogue
01-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Lol im Mexican, and im 6'4, im from Los Angeles, i also have connections from the LAFD, because i know the chief of that place, because i work in a restaurant and i see him all the time and we talk alot, so im pretty sure he could give me some advice and stuff, im really good friends with him
it's really hard to imagine you could "talk a lot" to him given how dumb you are.

creo que mas mexicanos no estan tanto mudo que tu, mi hermano.

BadOdor
01-01-2010, 08:11 PM
I remember when I was 5 and wanted to be a firefighter too....

Chomag
01-02-2010, 04:55 AM
Man, there are some harsh people on this forum.

I completely agreer with those that are saying to finish up your degree while you have the momentum. A firefighter is a great career but a degree would help you advance more within firefighting, let alone have something to fall back on if you find out it's not for you.

I know you probably hear this alot but your young and that opportunity will be always be there for you. Just stick with it and it will happen.

Nbadan
01-02-2010, 05:16 AM
You've run into the inevitable undergraduate Sophomore wall and you want to quit...how much do your parents help you with school? The $1000 rent is a signal that they want you to go to school or move out...Is it possible to go to firefighter school and still take college hours?

Stay in school, get a degree in Chemistry or some other science, then become a fireman, you'll become an officer much quicker and you can show your parents that someone can be happy not working in an office all day...I'm sure your parents only have the best intentions...

exstatic
01-02-2010, 10:04 AM
If you want to be a FF, you're going to have to make it happen yourself. It sounds like the parentals will be zero help, nor are they under any obligation to do so. You can get an appartment for < $1000. Make sure it's near the bus line,as that car is going away.

BTW, occasionally chatting with the FD chief at thr restaurant you work at does NOT make him a good friend. He would fall into the acquaintance category, but could be a useful network contact.

mrsmaalox
01-02-2010, 03:27 PM
My brother was the same way. We were raised knowing we HAD to go to college---and we had no choice in the matter. Not a problem for me, I hated school but I had excellent grades and it was much easier than actually working. My brother also hated school but had to work really hard just to get out. He wanted to be a firefighter but my mother unleased the Mexican drama, and declared it was too dangerous and it would kill her if he did that.

So he wasted his time and their money for a couple of years, until he and I convinced the folks that their money would be better spent sending him to a trade school where he could learn a trade and get out to make some money asap. He went to automotive mechanic school got into the field and manged to get fired from 3 jobs in 2 years.

Parents insisted, and back to college he went, for another year until he couldn't take it anymore. Then it was out to HVAC school, but he had to promise the folks that job once he got a job he would finish his degree part time. By the time he finished he was over 30 yrs old. He managed to combine his HVAC experience and history degree into a dream job---he got into restoration of historical buildings and eventually landed a job as the director of a huge multimillion dollar restoration of the oldest private Catholic school in the state. Amazing project that took his attn, 24 hrs per day for 3 years. By the time it was finished he was stressed and hated his job, and quit. Then he applied at the firefighting academy and became the oldest applicant/graduate in their history. He has been employed for almost 15 years now and says going to the academy was the only smart thing he ever did.

And my parents still do the danger drama, but they have also admitted to me they just should have let him do his own thing in the first place!

RedsLakers24
01-02-2010, 04:21 PM
If you want to be a FF, you're going to have to make it happen yourself. It sounds like the parentals will be zero help, nor are they under any obligation to do so. You can get an appartment for < $1000. Make sure it's near the bus line,as that car is going away.

BTW, occasionally chatting with the FD chief at thr restaurant you work at does NOT make him a good friend. He would fall into the acquaintance category, but could be a useful network contact.

yeah i know, but i was just saying is useful when i need some advice of what to do and everything, the thing is he is a really good friend of my parents thats why he talks to me, thats the reason i havent told him anything yet

RashoFan
01-03-2010, 04:09 AM
Have you considered the military? Air force and Navy maybe some options because the have military personel in that field. Navy is a Damage Controlman. Check with some of the local colleges that offer a Fire Academy or degree in Fire Science and see what kind of assistance is available such as Scholarships and grants. Sorry to hear that you parents are not more supportive of your desire to become a FF. If you really want to do it and be a FF, you will find a way to do it. You may have to be very resourceful but it is worth it in the end. Good Luck in becoming a "brother fire fighter".

mookie2001
01-03-2010, 12:49 PM
youre pushing an 08 nissan?

how you like that cbf?

Rogue
01-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Anyone having replied seriously is inexorably to be considered at the same wavelength as the retarded OP.

BacktoBasics
01-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Way too immature to be a firefighter. You got some growing up to do. You can't even figure out how to be mildly independent let alone handle the safety of others. You got a long way to go.

RedsLakers24
01-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Damm, im dead, im about to tell them that im going to sign up to be a firefighter, they are probaly going to kill me, shit, i tried today to get into business , marketing managment, but it was too late to sign up, they are not going to take the news lightly

Rogue
01-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Damm, im dead
you're going to be cremated as the your malodorous shitty corpse would probably cause severe contamination on american soil if stuffed simply in a coffin buried, hence you must be cremated before getting your perpetual peace.

Rogue
01-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Damm, im dead, im about to tell them that im going to sign up to be a firefighter, they are probaly going to kill me, shit, i tried today to get into business , marketing managment, but it was too late to sign up, they are not going to take the news lightly
You're a FatherFucking little bitch, which is what your abbreviation FF refers to IMHO.

Mavs_man_41
01-05-2010, 04:11 PM
You're a FatherFucking little bitch, which is what your abbreviation FF refers to IMHO.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Heath Ledger
01-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Dude your parents charging $1000 for rent? Politely tell them to fuck off and kick rocks.

Heath Ledger
01-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Here is a solution. Join the Navy or Coast guard become a fireman. Get out then become a firefighter. Take classes if you so desire while in the Navy. Room and board is covered and you can get your own damn car as well as see the world.

RedsLakers24
01-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Here is a solution. Join the Navy or Coast guard become a fireman. Get out then become a firefighter. Take classes if you so desire while in the Navy. Room and board is covered and you can get your own damn car as well as see the world.

thanx for the info, i think im going to do this

MiamiHeat
01-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Your parents are lame as fuck.

I'd tell them to fuck off. That's a shitty way to parent your kid, by blackmailing him and threatening to take his shit away

plus 1000 rent a month for a room in the house?