PDA

View Full Version : Positives after Win VS Miami part 2-standings(deeper look)

draft87
01-01-2010, 04:35 AM
here's the second section:

Here's a link to the West standings after tonight's games. I did it on Google Documents. Please excuse the winning percentage. I haven't figured a way to enter a decimal without Google automatically adding a 0 in front. If you have a tip, please share. Also, the Y column is numbered so I re-numbered each standing chart.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...3aVRoZFE&hl=en (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArU0bQx3wRY0dHZpT2hWM3JjeVNPZWJuUm03aVRoZ FE&hl=en)

1. W-L standings
2. Last 10 games W-L
3. top 10 W-L teams reseeded based on average point differential.
-------------------------------------

What I hope you can consider is:
-although the Spurs have been inconsistent regarding
1. overall play quarter to quarter, game to game
2. Big 3(or 4) performances
3. defensive-man, perimeter, interior
4. rotations(who's starting, who's inactive, injury)
5. what type of point guard we have(pass first/score first) ...........
.....Spurs have put points on the board. Our starting point guard(Parker) has had to make serious adjustments to his game. His coach(Pop) has asked him alternate between his trademark combination of superior pick/roll and open floor penetration and approaching the game with a past-first mentality. These are serious adjustments to strategy and it's obviously affected Parker's play as well as his teammates....but Spurs still score the ball. We've seen some of the highest scoring Spurs games since the 90s during this high anxiety, time of inconsistency. I feel safe assuming that a well oiled Spurs machine is capable of hanging with the Suns, Nuggets, and Lakers come playoff time.
---------------------------------------------

One of the questions since 2008 has been whether or not we had enough firepower to counter the Lakers and since then other Western teams have added power and scoring. The Nuggets are a high scoring, physical team and the Suns have returned to "The Nash Era". This season we clearly have a very deep team full of players capable of dropping 20+ on any given night but we have also seen a drop in our defensive efficiency. The Suns and the Blazers torched us from all angles.

I don't claim that the Spurs are playing championship basketball. I will never tell you that one or two games can define a team's identity but I will point at some harder to see #s to help you get a more realistic peek at things to come. I believe that by looking at the 3rd set of standings on my sheet(you can also see this at nba.com/espn.com if you re-arrange the standings) you will get a boost of confidence that during our generally unimpressive play we've scored a lot of points. We look capable of keeping up with the likes of the high scoring Lakers, Nuggets, Mavs, and Suns. We're bound to start playing much better and that should include higher, more consistent scoring(maybe even several more PPG).

And even though we've been afraid to face a Spurs defensive decline we're still holding opponents to three points below the league average(99.7-96.7).
-----------------------------------------------

League Average Points Scored 2010=99.7

Spurs Points Allowed 2010=96.0
Spurs Points Allowed 2009=93.3

Even though we allow 2.7 more points by opponents this year, we are scoring 5.4 more points than last year.

Spurs Points Scored 2009=97.0
Spurs Points Scored 2010=102.4

Our defensive may look weaker but our offense is potentially so much stronger it can carry us to the top.

Spurs Point Differential 2009=+3.7
Spurs Point Differential 2010=+6.4

I also believe that as the offensive efficiency trends upward so will the defense. We might see an even larger point differential, maybe even best in the league. However it is possible that our defense will get stronger AND our offense will simmer down a bit but I just don't see a team including Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson, Mason, Bonner, McDyess, Blair, Hill, Bogans, etc NOT dropping 110ppg. There's just too much firepower that if we score less than 110ppg it means we're either going to see a team like the 'bad boy' Pistons where NOBODY averaged 20ppg(very possible) or we'll see deceptively inconsistent box score lines from star players on any given night(i.e. Parker might drop 30 points, 2 assists; Duncan scores 8 point, 5 assists; Jefferson 13 points, 5 rb; Ginobili 20 pts, 5 ast; McDyess 4 pts, 4 boards;etc ....some stars with a lot of points and some with low points, and vice versa ALSO like the 'bad boys' which reminds me, have you checked out Simmons' The Book of Basketball? It's great and there's a chapter dedicated to Isiah Thomas in which he discusses "The Secret" to basketball and how it worked for the championship Pistons. I recommend it for any basketball/Spurs fan. I seriously recommend it for any Spurs fan worrying about the level of star talent on our team, especially the ones who are seriously thinking it's already time to make more transactions and count on the lottery)