PDA

View Full Version : anybody here with blood pressure prblems?

polandprzem
01-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Hey if yes - what kind of changes you had to make, and what was working for you?

Thanks

CosmicCowboy
01-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I've been monitoring mine the last few years as it crept up but was still in the "mild" hypertensive range...

I don't know if they were related but I got burned last spring in a small gas vapor explosion (another story) and my blood pressure suddenly jumped into the "It's time to get fucking worried" range.

Monthly trips to the Doc playing with meds and it's now back in the normal/slightly high range.

No real side effects that I can tell except for some irritating fluid retention...I take a light dose generic diuretic for that...

I haven't really made any lifestyle changes and don't intend to...I'm a very active guy and going from dawn to dark, but I refuse to go to the gym and "workout". I'm drinking a little less caffiene, but otherwise haven't changed my diet.

If I stroke out or fall over with a grand mal you will know I should have taken this shit more seriously.

Ignignokt
01-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Hey if yes - what kind of changes you had to make, and what was working for you?

Thanks

It's funny. I went to the doctor not too recently and my BP was 150/95, that's high. Anyways, i was freaking out, and it went up to 160/100 before settling back to 138/82.

Now it's a solid 120/80 ish with in a turn of the week. But i found out that if you are borderline, i would eliminate potatoes, white bread, and starch. Sodium should be kept out. That said, you must try not to eat any prepackaged foods as much as possible. Even canned goods have high sodium, and specially avoid Ramen.

With that said, adding fiber, and making sure the bread you buy is stone ground wheat, or Wheat flour, and not enriched bleach flour, is very important. You can check for that easy since the flour formula is the easiest to find, (it's the first ingredient mentioned under Ingredients on the contents label).

I would tailor my diet like this.

Morning.

Cheerios.. try to get unsalted. eat with Yogurt.
1 glass of water.

Snack.
Banana with half PB sandwich. Peanut butter does have sodium, but it functions more as a protein balance to the fructose of the Banana.

Lunch.
Usually if you have a job, fast food is the only option if you don't want to break your wallet. I would advise subway for this.

Honey Grain wheat sub with Chicken breast and veggies/oil and mustard as the dressing.

The oil isn't so bad because you WILL workout after work.

Pre game Snack aka workout
Apple, half PB sandwich

Dinner.
If you haven't had an active day. Eat a small bowl of oatmeal, sweetened with little honey.
If you had.

Chicken/Fish steamed with broccoli and brown rice and a glass of wine.

When you work out, make sure you SWEAT! SWEAT! and don't lift weights since they can raise your BP.

After you get your BP down, introduce weights slowly into your routine.

Also start with a good paced jog and try to have a calm long and enduring workout. Don't try to be Rambo.

CosmicCowboy
01-01-2010, 01:03 PM
It's funny. I went to the doctor not too recently and my BP was 150/95, that's high. Anyways, i was freaking out, and it went up to 160/100 before settling back to 138/82.

Now it's a solid 120/80 ish with in a turn of the week. But i found out that if you are borderline, i would eliminate potatoes, white bread, and starch. Sodium should be kept out. That said, you must try not to eat any prepackaged foods as much as possible. Even canned goods have high sodium, and specially avoid Ramen.

With that said, adding fiber, and making sure the bread you buy is stone ground wheat, or Wheat flour, and not enriched bleach flour, is very important. You can check for that easy since the flour formula is the easiest to find, (it's the first ingredient mentioned under Ingredients on the contents label).

I would tailor my diet like this.

Morning.

Cheerios.. try to get unsalted. eat with Yogurt.
1 glass of water.

Snack.
Banana with half PB sandwich. Peanut butter does have sodium, but it functions more as a protein balance to the fructose of the Banana.

Lunch.
Usually if you have a job, fast food is the only option if you don't want to break your wallet. I would advise subway for this.

Honey Grain wheat sub with Chicken breast and veggies/oil and mustard as the dressing.

The oil isn't so bad because you WILL workout after work.

Pre game Snack aka workout
Apple, half PB sandwich

Dinner.
If you haven't had an active day. Eat a small bowl of oatmeal, sweetened with little honey.
If you had.

Chicken/Fish steamed with broccoli and brown rice and a glass of wine.

When you work out, make sure you SWEAT! SWEAT! and don't lift weights since they can raise your BP.

After you get your BP down, introduce weights slowly into your routine.

Also start with a good paced jog and try to have a calm long and enduring workout. Don't try to be Rambo.

A small bowl of fucking OATMEAL for DINNER?

You make dying of high blood pressure sound very attractive.

Ignignokt
01-01-2010, 01:36 PM
A small bowl of fucking OATMEAL for DINNER?

You make dying of high blood pressure sound very attractive.

lol!!!!

If you eat a snack in between.. You wont feel so hungry for dinner, and this diet allows you to cheat every once in a while if you adhere to it. IF you're on vacation.. Cheat for dinner. or if it's fourth of july go for it.

But if you adhere to this daily, you will cushion yourself for a salt loaded dinner that may come your way.

PakiDan
01-01-2010, 03:12 PM
OK... You all know my heart problems which include hypertension. Here is advice straight from the cardiologist...

SALT = BAD --- reduce your salt intake dramatically. One package of Ramen soup has enough sodium for a day and a half total intake....

I take meds also for my hypertension... works great.

Exercise regularly

Reduce Alcohol intake.

CosmicCowboy
01-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Exercise regularly

Reduce Alcohol intake.

:wow

Oh Well....

Something has to kill me. Might as well be high blood pressure.

MiamiHeat
01-01-2010, 07:06 PM
eh

my meals go like this :

Morning

Three sunny-side up egg and ham sandwiches. Break the yoke to get the juice soaked in the bread.

Glass of orange juice, and 1 banana.

Lunch

Water.

Dinner

Steak, mash potatoes, pork beans, and either water, milk, or orange juice.

done. I'm 6'3, 220 pounds, and I am doing just fine.

Oh, Gee!!
01-01-2010, 09:32 PM
cigarettes, alcohol (when used in excess), salted snacks, mexican food, and anything else good should be cut out of your daily life. Increase your water intake and get up and walk around every hour if you work a desk job. You'd do well by just making small adjustments to your daily routine.

polandprzem
01-02-2010, 04:38 AM
The problem is that I do workout lifting weights to the limit and that is what satisfy me and brings me a lot of pleasure which i have so little in my life. So i workout and sometimes go on a bike [depends on time weather]
I do not eat many salt, I do not dring alcohol much at all [once a 3 month something], i do not smoke.
Potasium and sodium are on normal level as I took blood test.

I had 24 hour test for pressure and that get me worried. I'm fricking out. i've tested myself during workout and on worming up I had 185/55 and during not that intense weights lifting 207/71 ! Nice huh?

All I know is that stress is killing me, i do not feel comfortable at all. My body have not been relaxed since ever.

Now I do not know what to do. I'm scheudled to workout ... ? I will consult a doc at the end of a month.

Oh, Gee!!
01-02-2010, 04:49 AM
do not lift weights until cleared by your doc--go for walks instead & and increase your water intake. you'll be fine within a month.

polandprzem
01-02-2010, 05:43 AM
I drink over gallon of water a day

SequSpur
01-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Dude, take a antihypertensive.

Drink, be stressed, eat whatever you want, smoke cigs, eat 3 top ramens a day.

Fuck it.

polandprzem
01-02-2010, 01:34 PM
if everybody on this board would listen to you sequ, there would be like 5 people here

Ignignokt
01-02-2010, 06:08 PM
The problem is that I do workout lifting weights to the limit and that is what satisfy me and brings me a lot of pleasure which i have so little in my life. So i workout and sometimes go on a bike [depends on time weather]
I do not eat many salt, I do not dring alcohol much at all [once a 3 month something], i do not smoke.
Potasium and sodium are on normal level as I took blood test.

I had 24 hour test for pressure and that get me worried. I'm fricking out. i've tested myself during workout and on worming up I had 185/55 and during not that intense weights lifting 207/71 ! Nice huh?

All I know is that stress is killing me, i do not feel comfortable at all. My body have not been relaxed since ever.

Now I do not know what to do. I'm scheudled to workout ... ? I will consult a doc at the end of a month.

LOL... dude don't stress it.

Olympic weight lifters have shown to have their BP in the 300's during meets.

Its weird that only your top level bp is high. I would consider on finding out what you can do to lower that.

peace.

Dr. Gonzo
01-02-2010, 07:02 PM
I have high blood pressure. I dropped some weight and eat cherrios for breakfast, a light lunch and a decent dinner. I drink about 5-7 liters of water a day. I piss all the time. It sucks. I also smoke. I'm on meds but my blood pressure has been normal since I quit drinking. Drinking was probably the worst thing for my blood pressure. It dropped significantly after I quit.

Ignignokt
01-02-2010, 07:24 PM
what was your bp Gonz?

Like what numbers?

Dr. Gonzo
01-02-2010, 07:25 PM
It was around 140/90 with meds and now it's normally 115/80.

polandprzem
01-03-2010, 01:01 AM
140/90 is still in norm

I woke up and watched some sports and my bp was 162/95

btw. sodium and potasium and cholesterol are in norm

Cant_Be_Faded
01-03-2010, 01:52 AM
Try to jack off alot.

jk
runs in my family, doctors always say watch the sodium.

Bender
01-03-2010, 06:20 AM
I have high blood pressure, but I don't really do anything different than usual. I take a pill a day, and my BP stays in the normal range.

I don't really have a taste for salt, so I don't really go for high sodium stuff anyway, and I also don't like white bread and only eat whole wheat. I drink lots of coffee, tea and (diet) sodas, so I get tons of caffeine. smoke lots of cigars too. I rarely eat fast food. Don't drink alcohol much.

my doc tells me to drink lots of water ever day, as others have already said.