PDA

View Full Version : Spurs record when Blair gets 20+ minutes

Fabbs
01-01-2010, 01:16 PM
I know how much Kori enjoyed this when, in an effort to promote TallBall i did a Frankie Elson 20+ Spurs record in 2007. (It was like 20-2).

Well, with the injuries to his beloved wife Michael and his mistress Matt Bonner, Lord Poppycock has been virtually forced to give more minutes to the NBAs co leader in rebounds per minute, 60% shooting super rookie Dejuan "Grizzy" Blair.
Besides the current 4 game winning streak (granted vs mostly patsies), the games in which Blair did play 20+, the Spurs are:
8-2!!

2 losses where in no way shape or form Blairs fault as he did 9-11 shooting with 11 boards to boot in only 22 minutes vs Boston as Moronovich limited his minutes.
The other loss to Utah, Blair did 7-10 shooting and snapped down 9 boards (5 offensive) in only 21 minutes.

If you want to drop it to 15 min per game, the record is 6-1.

I'll let the board PopApologists do the math on Spurs record when Grizzly Blair is forced to sit and play less then 15 minutes. "I just don't know what to do with him" -Greg Popavich Nov 2009.

DPG21920
01-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Blair does not promote tall ball.

Fabbs
01-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Nonsense.

spursfaninla
01-01-2010, 01:22 PM
blair plays more minutes when he is playing well, or when he matches up well. when he is not, perhaps the spurs are not doing as well, but that is not pop's fault.

DPG21920
01-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Nonsense.

Exactly. He may promote big ball and he may have a nice impact in a lot of games, but he certainly does not promote tall ball.

anonoftheinternets
01-01-2010, 01:24 PM
so whats the big suprise? blair is performing amazingly for us. But to be honest, i want mcdyess to perform as well, because I am very concerned about the rookie wall. And the PO's are pretty intimidating for anyone, especially a rookie, so a solid backup in mcdyess would be immensely helpful. So Pop better keep all the options primed so we have enough of a backup plan in the PO.

DPG21920
01-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Blair: 6'7
RJ: 6'7

If you have Blair starting at "C", that is 6'7 and tall ball.
If Pop puts RJ at "C", that is 6'7 and small ball.

Blair: 7'3 wingspan
RJ: 7'0 wingspan

Fabbs
01-01-2010, 01:29 PM
so whats the big suprise?
His increase in minutes meaning the temporary end of pussyball with Finley and Bonner, resulting in Spurs wins.
No surprise to basketball realists.

exstatic
01-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Blair almost always is in the highest 2 or 3 +- players in the box score. I know Pop doesn't understand his game, but for a young guy, he has SUCH a good feel for how to play in the paint. He understands how to use his body to create space, how to use the rim to protect his shot most of the time, and has decent footwork. There are guys who have been in the league for 3,4,5 years that don't have that understanding. To me, seeing the results of what he learned in two years of Big East play is the argument FOR college. Tall guys who come into the league have no clue how to play in the paint. Case in point is Dwight Howard. He gets by on PURE athleticism. If he were Blair's size, he wouldn't even be in the league.

boutons_deux
01-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Typical faulty analysis.

A lot of variables have been contributing to the Spurs improvement, so it's impossible to prove that DJB is the causal variable.

It will be very interesting how Pop treats DJB after MB is back.

Fabbs
01-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Typical faulty analysis.

A lot of variables have been contributing to the Spurs improvement, so it's impossible to prove that DJB is the causal variable.

It will be very interesting how Pop treats DJB after MB is back.

His increase in minutes meaning the temporary end of pussyball with Finley and Bonner, resulting in Spurs wins.

Chomag
01-01-2010, 01:50 PM
THe Beast has some of the best hands that I have seen in a long while. Maybe even one of the best hands in the league.

JR3
01-01-2010, 01:58 PM

agree 100% Finley holds us back. He is done. and Bonner is a nice regular season guy but i dont trust he has the all around game to be a real threat in the playoffs when teams really focus on taking away open 3s. I think our mix of players is great without the two.

Chomag
01-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Have you guys noticed how much more Pumped up Tim looks when Blair is on the floor with him. These 2 are really forming a nice bond and chemistry together.

anonoftheinternets
01-01-2010, 02:07 PM
agree 100% Finley holds us back. He is done. and Bonner is a nice regular season guy but i dont trust he has the all around game to be a real threat in the playoffs when teams really focus on taking away open 3s. I think our mix of players is great without the two.

See this is stupid. Having options never hurt anyone. Best to keep them all primed. What if blairs performance drops off? We are left in the cold. Try to manage everyones minutes and keep everyone "warm" for the PO. We have to utilize all our players/strengths. Not just hone one strategy. In fact it was bonner who kept us in many games with his ridiculous shooting this year.

draft87
01-01-2010, 02:11 PM
I know how much Kori enjoyed this when, in an effort to promote TallBall i did a Frankie Elson 20+ Spurs record in 2007. (It was like 20-2).

Well, with the injuries to his beloved wife Michael and his mistress Matt Bonner, Lord Poppycock has been virtually forced to give more minutes to the NBAs co leader in rebounds per minute, 60% shooting super rookie Dejuan "Grizzy" Blair.
Besides the current 4 game winning streak (granted vs mostly patsies), the games in which Blair did play 20+, the Spurs are:
8-2!!

2 losses where in no way shape or form Blairs fault as he did 9-11 shooting with 11 boards to boot in only 22 minutes vs Boston as Moronovich limited his minutes.
The other loss to Utah, Blair did 7-10 shooting and snapped down 9 boards (5 offensive) in only 21 minutes.

I'll let the board PopApologists do the math on Spurs record when Grizzly Blair is forced to sit and play less then 15 minutes. "I just don't know what to do with him" -Greg Popavich Nov 2009.

"Don't Believe Tha Hype!"

Fabbs, you are sooooooo right about everything. I see two guaranteed successful careers for you
a) The next San Antonio Spurs head coach

b) The next Jim Rome

I wish you luck on either path you choose...as long as it means you take your genius efforts somewhere else.

Bon Courage!

spurspokesman
01-01-2010, 02:32 PM

Yup. Nice to actually see us playing with a set. Dejuan has been all heart since college. Only if rj had a set we'd really be tough. We are a very good but finessed team. Dejuan is not the best by a longshot but he is without a doubt our toughest player.

Fabbs
01-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Have you guys noticed how much more Pumped up Tim looks when Blair is on the floor with him. These 2 are really forming a nice bond and chemistry together.
Absotively Posolutely!
And this is in no small measure a part of the equation.
Same with GNob and Blair.

DMX7
01-01-2010, 03:10 PM

It's not just the wingspan, it's his wide body and weight.

DPG21920
01-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Still does not change the fact it is not "tall ball" with Blair on the court. May be "big, wide body ball", but certainly not tall ball. Blair has his problems as well match up wise and it is like going small ball to a certain degree having him out there.

That is not to say it is a bad thing. . .

Fabbs
01-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Still does not change the fact it is not "tall ball" with Blair on the court. May be "big, wide body ball", but certainly not tall ball. Blair has his problems as well match up wise and it is like going small ball to a certain degree having him out there.

That is not to say it is a bad thing. . .
To clarify DPG21920 I'm not suggesting it's exactly the same as having another 6'10" - 7 footer next to Dunkan. But as was brought out on another thread, it's brought back the paint to the Spurs. The pussified three point chucking/no post presence on offense or defense/NO help for Tim joke the Spurs have become under FinleyPopperBonner is gone. For now.
We agree on that.

8-2 and counting!

Gino2882
01-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Blair really is a nice player to have next to Tim Duncan. Ideally Blair would be 7'0 and able to protect the front of the rim, but he really does bring a lot to the team.

He is a very active partner next to Tim Duncan and is absolutely relentless on the glass. He even has nice anticipation on blocking shots but his height holds him back in this area. His points come on put backs and plays where he is picking and rolling.

cherylsteele
01-01-2010, 06:02 PM

8-2!!

We get it, you don't like Pop.

The Spurs' improvement is not soley because Blair is playing 20+ minutes, like you imply. There are other factors to contribute to team improvement.

Manu has been playing better and better in the past couple of weeks or so, I think this is an even bigger reason.

Tony is playing better as well, much like he was last season.

Even though RJ's numbers aren't overwhelmingly huge he has done the little things pretty as of late.

McDyess coming off the bench w/Manu gives the 2nd unit a veteran inside presence.

As much as you hate Pop, his rotations are solidifying, which helps the chemistry immensely, whether you want to admit it or not.

EricB
01-01-2010, 06:18 PM
List of 20.... Where's it at?

draft87
01-01-2010, 07:18 PM

:lmao

EricB is so patient when it comes to nitwits. Eric, please bestow upon me the championship level patience you possess when dealing with conversations between nitwit2nitwit!

:toast

I always get so annoyed by the fact that these roaches never get discouraged when someone "puts their shit in check". I just write some sarcastic, mean-spirited rant but EricB effectively makes his point by simply asking Fabbs to backup his charlatan claims.

I'm wondering two things:

1) Why nobody else is high-5'n EricB?

2) Why Fabbs keeps ignoring the obvious burn marks on his threads? How does one person get proven to be an idiot yet still have the peanuts to keep posting Bolshievek?

DPG21920
01-01-2010, 07:21 PM

EricB is so patient when it comes to nitwits. Eric, please bestow upon me the championship level patience you possess when dealing with conversations between nitwit2nitwit!

I always get so annoyed by the fact that these roaches never get discouraged when someone "puts their shit in check". I just write some sarcastic, mean-spirited rant but EricB effectively makes his point by simply asking Fabbs to backup his charlatan claims.

2) Why Fabbs keeps ignoring the obvious burn marks on his threads? How does one person get proven to be an idiot yet still have the peanuts to keep posting Bolshievek?

Seriously?

draft87
01-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Seriously?

Yes. Does that post seem not serious?

HarlemHeat37
01-01-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm not a Fabbs defender at all, but I think he actually did post a list of 20 a little while ago..he included some players on the list LOL..

FilSpursFan
01-01-2010, 09:21 PM
:sleep

Fabbs
01-01-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm not a Fabbs defender at all, but I think he actually did post a list of 20 a little while ago..he included some players on the list LOL..
I posted it the day after Xmass. Had planned on Xmass day but ran into some isp difficulties.

Fabbs
01-01-2010, 11:38 PM
As has been pointed out, delivery was made.

Still waiting to see if you would like to contribute to a Spurs Championship:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140272
You are wanted and needed.

poop
01-02-2010, 12:24 AM
If DeJuan stays out of foul trouble and works hard on both ends and bonner and finley stay injured Pop will play him.

fixed.:toast

Kori Ellis
01-02-2010, 12:32 AM
:lol @ referencing me in this thread

I never advocated playing small ball. I just said that pulling out random records with certain players playing X number of minutes doesn't prove anything. There are too many other factors. It's just like using a player's +/- to prove his worth. (And BTW, Elson sucks.)

That being said, I love Blair's game (though it's not a "tall ball" game). He's got great hands and timing. Hopefully he continues to develop and can learn how to be a force defensively too.

lennyalderette
01-02-2010, 02:23 AM

+100
perfect word!!!!! when finley and bonner are forced to be defensive stoppers we play pussy ball for sure!!!! think about it guys our two weakest defenders are injured and all of a sudden were climbing to 2nd place.

SpurNation
01-02-2010, 09:45 AM

This is the biggest measure of Blair starting IMO. If Duncan feels and plays better with Blair starting next to him I think Pop would keep this rotation.

I think it's being proven Blair will get his regardless if he starts or not. But if Timmy appears to be playing better and more comfortable with Blair next to him than any other big on the team...one could think that combination would continue.

Whisky Dog
01-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Playing Blair does not promote tall ball, it promotes beast ball.

Fabbs
01-02-2010, 10:58 AM
:lol @ referencing me in this thread
That's good. :lol Since i intended it as a joke, no revelation.

I never advocated playing small ball. I just said that pulling out random records with certain players playing X number of minutes doesn't prove anything. There are too many other factors. It's just like using a player's +/- to prove his worth. (And BTW, Elson sucks.)
There is a huge difference between Blair in the frontline and FinleyBonner. Several have commented as such on this thread. For those who chose not to see it, whatever.

That being said, I love Blair's game (though it's not a "tall ball" game).
Tallball, bigball, nuttsball, Championship Spursball, label it whatever you want.

He's got great hands and timing. Hopefully he continues to develop and can learn how to be a force defensively too.
:clap

Bigzax
01-02-2010, 11:15 AM
we just gotta figure out how to keep that Godsend of a broken hand from healing...

and hopefully Pop gives Ratliff more minutes to rest TD...:toast

Fabbs
01-02-2010, 11:23 AM
we just gotta figure out how to keep that Godsend of a broken hand from healing...

and hopefully Pop gives Ratliff more minutes to rest TD...:toast
:rollin and help Finley sprain his ankle again.
Does anyone know where PopnFinleyBonner rollerskate? Which bar they go to?
T_Park?

jason1301
01-02-2010, 12:45 PM
How many of these games were blowouts?????? My guess most of them...

ffadicted
01-02-2010, 12:50 PM
I love watching Blair beast his way into the paint and tumble down everybody on his way, especially on D. Even if he gets called for a foul, it makes me happy lol

peskypesky
01-02-2010, 02:04 PM
THe Beast has some of the best hands that I have seen in a long while. Maybe even one of the best hands in the league.

Absolutely. His hands are like suction cups. Any ball that goes near them just gets grabbed. But his hands are not just sticky, they're soft. He has a great knack for laying the ball in.

I have almost never seen a "big man" who is so good at catching the ball.

senorglory
01-02-2010, 02:27 PM
He's got great hands and timing.

and HUSTLE, god bless him.

senorglory
01-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Fabbs, you may very well be a basketball genius...

but I suspect noone would ever know, so distracting are your "his beloved wife Michael and his mistress Matt Bonner, Lord Poppycock" stuff that your point is lost. Nothing but static after that.

Fabbs
01-02-2010, 04:57 PM

but I suspect noone would ever know, so distracting are your "his beloved wife Michael and his mistress Matt Bonner, Lord Poppycock" stuff that your point is lost. Nothing but static after that.
Point taken, however...
Were noone to read on, you would be correct. But since many did and do read on and support, I don't worry about the ones who don't.

My Fault
01-02-2010, 05:01 PM
What I love most about this thread is no matter how many times this crap is posted it effects absolutely nothing...

cherylsteele
01-02-2010, 05:49 PM

That is only part of it.
Fabbs uses just one stats to show the whole picture when much more is going on than what he is saying. He does saying anything else about thet team has a whole improving which is why they are 8-2, i mentioned it earlier in the thread but he did not want to address it.

Dro210
01-02-2010, 09:38 PM
I mean, I love Blair, and I think he should play 20 minutes.... but it's obviously not like that's the only or even the main reason we're playing better right now. He played 15 tonight, so now it's 7-1, but he had 2 and 5 and took 1 shot.... Mase had 20, Bogans knocked down his shots, and Tim was Tim. That's why we won tonight.

How has nobody mentioned Mase in this thread? Mase imo has made the biggest individual difference of anybody over the last couple weeks. All in all tho, I just think the rotation is better, and that's been huge. Love Blair starting, and love the guys that are coming off the bench right now. Ever since Blair went to the starting lineup and Mase found his shot, our bench has just been murdering other teams. If Tony finds his game (which I believe he will) and RJ finds a heart (which I doubt), the sky is the limit.

cherylsteele
01-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Mase has been playing rather well as well, tonight he was a difference maker.

The Truth #6
01-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Pop should keep Finley and Bonner out as long as possible. The rotation is looking very good right now, especially with almost every player finally hitting their stride.

Yes, Bonner is good insurance and Finley is a likeable veteran but I see no legitimate reason not to package both of them in a trade to get us a more useful player for the playoffs.

All Finley can do is come back and totally jinx Mason's momentum. Nothing positive to come from Finley's return.

Bonner's trade value is probably at an all-time high right now. Perfect time to parlay that into something useful. He and Fin both have expiring contracts. This is an excellent opportunity to improve the team.

greyforest
01-02-2010, 11:36 PM
i wonder if blair will grow a couple more inches...he's still young.

RobinsontoDuncan
01-03-2010, 03:47 PM
He probably will grow a few more inches...horizontally.

mabrignani
01-03-2010, 04:07 PM

8-2!!

of course we are 8 and 2 when blair gets 20+ min bc when a bench player gets significant min it usually means the starters were pulled bc the game was in the bag. im prety sure this is the case with blair

Fabbs
01-03-2010, 04:11 PM
of course we are 8 and 2 when blair gets 20+ min bc when a bench player gets significant min it usually means the starters were pulled bc the game was in the bag. im prety sure this is the case with blair
Could you actually start watching games? Do you have access to games on t.v.?
Blair started plenty of these.

cherylsteele
01-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Could you actually start watching games? Do you have access to games on t.v.?
Blair started plenty of these.
It is not all Blair, the team as a whole has playef better...including Blair.

Fabbs
01-03-2010, 04:51 PM
It's true.
When FinleyBonner went out and Blair came in, the whole team started playing better. Pussy, 3 pt chucking stand around O and soft paint D vanished.

101 to us basketball realists. A revelation to you Poppers.

Sobe_Kucks
01-03-2010, 05:10 PM
There are guys who have been in the league for 3,4,5 years that don't have that understanding. To me, seeing the results of what he learned in two years of Big East play is the argument FOR college. Tall guys who come into the league have no clue how to play in the paint.

+1
See Ian Mahimi; if you can play the game it becomes apparent on the court. We got ourselves a player in Blair. Didn't take years for that to become apparent.

My Fault
01-03-2010, 05:52 PM
It's true.
When FinleyBonner went out and Blair came in, the whole team started playing better. Pussy, 3 pt chucking stand around O and soft paint D vanished.

101 to us basketball realists. A revelation to you Poppers.
So Blair provides solid interior D? Basketball realists? Your questioning a coach who has lead the team to 4 titles and the most wins of the last decade. Say what you want but what really puts me at ease is your opinion doesn't really matter nor will it change a thing. :tu

Fabbs
01-03-2010, 06:25 PM
So Blair provides solid interior D? Basketball realists? Your questioning a coach who has lead the team to 4 titles and the most wins of the last decade. Say what you want but what really puts me at ease is your opinion doesn't really matter nor will it change a thing. :tu
Yes that's why you're responding to my post.

My Fault
01-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Yes that's why you're responding to my post.

Ignorance...

Fabbs
01-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Ignorance...
Is Bliss for PopApologists.

Go away. You Downers should stop attempting to rain on our Blair picnic.
Surely there is a PollyAnna Popper thread you can find those of your ilk on.

Fabbs
01-07-2010, 02:17 AM
9-2 as the Blairdog gets 26 minutes tonight and starts alongside Timmy Dunkar. (As he should).

Spurs 112
Detroit 92

zero minutes for Mike Finley and Matt Bonner

angelbelow
01-07-2010, 04:01 AM
Add another win!

Phenomanul
01-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Fabbs, you are too stubborn and dead set to even accept the possibility that the Spurs' play of late is more or less tied to Ginobili's resurgence; Mason's red hot shooting and ever increasing team chemistry (as would be expected the longer they become familiar with each other's games). Duncan's MVP-caliber play this season is a pretty big elephant in the living room as well... And here's a surprise... barring key injuries, the Spurs players will 'gel' even more and play better team ball as the season wears on; even as the opposition (the schedule) becomes more difficult. And especially during the long road trips...

You're Pop hate is over the top...

I agree, Blair has been amazing... he's got a great feel for the game, seems to be a fast learner, and has already shown more poise and character in his young NBA career, than many other NBA players...

He deserves every minute he plays and more.

You have to realize however that Bonner fills a very unique role and that your hate for him and Finley is not really justified. Sure, most here agree that Bonner shouldn't start for this team... to suggest that he's not needed at all, however, is rather myopic... especially when he has played fairly well from the bench this season... your incessant shtick is getting really, really annoying....

Fabbs
01-07-2010, 12:17 PM
^^^ Nice twist to everything I've posted but try to keep it real.
Bonner 12th off the bench or earlier (situationally only) thus used properly is fine with me.
You and Pop having him as a starter and doing 25 minutes (playoffs) is a joke.
Ditto Findawg.
Last two playoffs speak for themselves.

Blair Duncan GNob and Mason make each other better.
Never did say or imply it was all Blair, Twisty. :wakeup

Lots of posters ST who get it.

SpurNation
01-07-2010, 12:52 PM
It was pointed out in the Detroit game how Blair has already exceeded what Kwame Brown has done his whole career. Not that it speaks volumes in Blair's situation but...it's a blessing that he fell into the Spur's lap.

As the season progresses...I'm sure Blair will get better treatment from the officials as well if he continues to start. It seems that officiating sometimes is judged (fairly or not) according to a player's rotational standing on a team.

That's not to say he's not getting better defensively. He is. But he's also learning faster than many in his position.

If this keeps up...I don't see Bonner breaking into the starting lineup after he recovers from his injury. That should help quiet the Bonner haters. Which by the way I don't understand...until the emergence of Blair...the team hasn't had a "qualified" big to effectively start next to Duncan other than Bonner. It's not Bonner's fault that he isn't your protypical starting big.

thOOdee
01-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Bonner 12th off the bench or earlier (situationally only) thus used properly is fine with me.
Ditto Findawg.

agree.....bonner is expendable and really not needed, but wouldn't hurt given few minutes. maybe like less than 10

Phenomanul
01-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Ditto Findawg.

I twisted your premise??? That's laughable considering you've stated on many occasions that anytime Bonner steps on the floor he's receiving heavy minutes... How is my statement that Bonner fills a unique role, and better suited coming off the bench interpretted as suggesting that he should be playing 25 minutes a night??? Hyperbole much?

If you do a search you'll actually find a couple of my posts suggesting that ideal usage for Bonner on this team (as currently constituted) is around 14-16 mpg. So??? Pop is currently overusing your hated player by what? 4 minutes a game?? Geesh... the guy is playing lights out this year so he deserves to be benched for actually playing the way we thought he could? He's shooting 45% from beyond the arc (good enough for 6th in the league) and actually rebounding at a good clip.

My ideal split this season... for front line minutes...
Duncan's minutes should be restricted to ~28 mpg (save him for the playoffs)
Blair ~22 mpg.
Bonner ~16 mpg
McDyess ~22 mpg (Same as Duncan, save him for the playoffs)
Ratliff ~ 8 mpg (a couple of DNPs will allow Duncan to actually have games higher than 28 mpg but overall, we need to save Duncan's knees)...

As for last season's playoffs; who else was going to play? We didn't have McDyess, Ratliff, Blair or Mahinmi? And Oberto had heart problems... Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken Kurt Thomas was averaging more minutes than Bonner in the series vs Dallas... until he strained his quads in Game 3. Having said that, I felt that Gooden should have played more (even if he didn't really know our playbook)... bottom line. Last season the Spurs weren't as deep or as athletic, Duncan was severely hobbled, and Ginobili (the only guy on the roster that other teams can't develop game plans for) didn't play a single minute...

But in your eyes last season's 1st round loss came down to Pop playing Bonner and Finley... again, talk about myopia. Let me repeat it for ya. Last season the Spurs weren't as deep or as athletic, Duncan was severely hobbled, and Ginobili (the only guy on the roster that other teams can't develop game plans for) didn't play a single minute... Those are the reasons why the Spurs lost to Dallas last season.

Many more posters here understood that much.

Also, it's funny that you would mention Mason in that group... by your standards he too sucked in last years playoffs... most here however, understood that his underachievement was a byproduct of having to play the point (excessively) which meant that he had no one creating for him (the role that he actually excels in)... Honestly, I don't hold that over his head. Pop's only mistake during last year's playoffs was not having played George Hill or Bowen enough... but even he admitted that much. Still you can look the other way for Mason, but not for Bonner? Again, your hate is rather unsubstantiated...

Fabbs
01-13-2010, 11:00 PM
10-2 and in such kick ass fashion that not even Cementovich could screw this one up, altho he certainly tried. :depressed

Spurs 109
Okc 108

Grizzly Blair 28 pts 21 boards in only 31 minutes!! :toast:toast:toast

Pauleta14
01-14-2010, 12:04 AM

SouthTexasRancher
01-14-2010, 12:07 AM

Nothing like being negative. Grizzly Blair promotes hustle which promotes WINS!!! :ihit

Fabbs
01-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Some surgeons who have studied bones say that while most of us max out at 18 some do keep growing til 21.

SouthTexasRancher
01-14-2010, 12:09 AM

Grizzly Blair's hustle is contagious!

Fabbs
01-18-2010, 10:19 PM
11-4
L Charlotte when Dumbassovich went smallballs again. 31 minutes 11 pts 16 boards (7 offensive)
L Memphis Lakers 24 minutes 8 pts 8 boards. Coach StupidAss playing Blair half the time or less with Timmy Duncan. Dick Jefferson on the other hand, 21 minutes 0-6 (0-4 treys) 1 fricking rebound.

W Hornets 33 minutes 8 pts 13 boards (5 O). NumbnuttsOvich returned Blair to the starting lineup and Spurs bolted to a 29-16 1st qtr lead.

poop
01-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Fabbs is right and all the pop nuthuggers need to accept that fact that while YES he is a good coach and YES he has accomplished alot in the past, he is still a human being who DOES MAKE BONEHEAD decisions sometimes.

The Truth #6
01-18-2010, 10:57 PM
I've grown to appreciate Fabb's harangues. Always amusing and there's always some truth in what he says, usually.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-19-2010, 05:00 AM
To clarify DPG21920 I'm not suggesting it's exactly the same as having another 6'10" - 7 footer next to Dunkan. But as was brought out on another thread, it's brought back the paint to the Spurs. The pussified three point chucking/no post presence on offense or defense/NO help for Tim joke the Spurs have become under FinleyPopperBonner is gone. For now.
We agree on that.

8-2 and counting!

I agree with that.

Grizzly plays much bigger and tougher, and takes up more space, than his 6'7" suggests. He has learned to use his bulk and low centre of gravity to defend players in the low post. The kid is also a natural balla and and extremely quick learner, and not a bad shotblocker (22 for the season) with potential for growth. However, I think as he develops he will become the primary defender of a lot of the other team's best big, with Tim helping from the weakside.

It's a different situation to what we've had before going all the way back to Rodman - a super-rebounder and tough but undersized defender next to a dominant, skilled big man in Robinson. The way Tim + Grizzly plays out is not a "Twin Towers", it's a DRob and Rodman situation, and I'm kinda liking it! :tu :D

PS A lot of media types should be eating their freakin ties right now after some of the things written and said during the offseason! :lmao

HarlemHeat37
01-19-2010, 05:11 AM
LOL Fabbs is easily one of the most entertaining posters here..I don't always agree with him, but he brings it hard..

baseline bum
01-19-2010, 05:11 AM
Never mistake correlation for causation. When Blair plays well, Pop gives him minutes, and when he sucks, he gets pulled quickly (usually because of foul trouble). Therefore, when you condition on minutes, you're effectively conditioning on Blair playing well. All things being equal, it's expected that the team should do better when Blair plays well. Since Blair is kind of a feast or famine player (his production seems to oscillate pretty wildly), him playing well is an enormous shot in the arm for the team. Hence, the strong record when he plays high minutes is therefore pretty logical, while advocating huge minutes and extrapolating that team success as a simple function of his minutes is definitely not.

ezau
01-19-2010, 06:24 AM

RJ= 225 lbs
Blair=265 to 277 lbs

Fabbs
02-04-2010, 03:01 AM
12-7
L Utah after Blair started and he and Tim Dunks helped build a 5 pt halftime lead.
L Houston, once again started, Spurs led at half, worked in the 3rd.
L Chicago 11 boards but only 4-13 shooting.
W Sacramento 9-11 fgs, 6 boards in 24 minutes. 8-8 in 1st half but Popovich did not start him in the 3rd. :downspin:

Manufan909
02-04-2010, 03:21 AM
Never mistake correlation for causation. When Blair plays well, Pop gives him minutes, and when he sucks, he gets pulled quickly (usually because of foul trouble). Therefore, when you condition on minutes, you're effectively conditioning on Blair playing well. All things being equal, it's expected that the team should do better when Blair plays well. Since Blair is kind of a feast or famine player (his production seems to oscillate pretty wildly), him playing well is an enormous shot in the arm for the team. Hence, the strong record when he plays high minutes is therefore pretty logical, while advocating huge minutes and extrapolating that team success as a simple function of his minutes is definitely not.

23 min is not giving someone minutes who went 20 (on almost 90% FG) and 6 with a block and a pair of steals. Wtf are you smoking man, you already forget the Celtics game? That one and the one last night showed that Pop really doesn't know what the fuck is going on this year. If Blair is beasting in the first half, take minutes from every big without initials TD so that DJB can get 30+ minutes. He should still be starting too, he's outplayed Dice this year, as well as Bonner.

And trust me son, it's causation. The cause is Blair playing with unlimited passion IN THE PAINT, just tearing shit up and throwing his big body around. The effect is Tim (the Spurs best player) doesn't have to kill himself being the only big willing to be in the paint on both ends of the floor. Bonner won't touch the paint with a ten foot pole, and Dice only really gets in the paint on D. I would too if I had a jay like that though. I don't even need to get started on his chemistry with Manu. But let me just say this, he has completed more plays with Manu halfway thru his rookie season than Fab and Manu did on their best year (maybe an exaggeration, but I doubt anyone will do the research to prove me wrong:lol). No knock on Fabricio, but no one can deny him and Manu knew each other. Oberto just settled for a sneaky backdoor layup or baseline jumper every once in awhile. But Blair seems to know Manu, has spectacular hands, charges into the lane every chance he gets while maintaining superb body control, and is fine with getting spoon fed by El Contusion. Correlation my ass.:ihit

I don't agree with Fabb on a lot of things, but he's spot on about Blair.

rayray2k8
02-04-2010, 03:36 AM
I can count on 2 things. 1 Blair doing his thing and 2 Bonner being useless.... Tonight was no different.

Fabbs
02-07-2010, 12:46 AM
13-8
L the @ Portland disaster where they melted down a 10 pt lead in the 4th.
W @ Clippers. Not DeJuans best game but still boardin as always. Dumbassovich does not play Blair much at all with Duncan anymore.

Duncan-GNob-Blair was a nice thing to watch. Beautiful play vs Portland where Portlands D seemed to have GNob stopped. Quick pass to Blair, immediate pass to Dunkar for the layup. It's as if they were mind reading. :toast

Dense-o-vich will put a stop to it tho. :depressed

Fabbs
02-12-2010, 01:38 AM
14-8
17/9 on 8-11 shooting.

I thought Dumbassovich was going to leave Blair out when he replaced him with Duncan after Blair had helped the Spurs build a 19 pt lead. Alas, DeJuan got to play the final 4 minutes and he and Manhinmi had a really nice lob pass exchange. Great read and pass by Ian for the DuJuan layup.
Stoop-a-shift Pop keeping these two from being on the court together. :bang

Manufan909
02-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Lol Fabbs. I agree with you on this occasion, but your blind rage for Pop makes it hard to take you seriously.

Fabbs
02-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Lol Fabbs. I agree with you on this occasion, but your blind rage for Pop makes it hard to take you seriously.
Did you watch the 4th qtr?

mosdef17
02-12-2010, 05:51 PM
This thread is so bogus, Blair often gets 20+ mins in games against teams that we are in control of or will be able to easily beat...

Fabbs
03-01-2010, 10:45 PM
vs Phx 14 pts and 7 boards in only 19 minutes so that one wont count.
15-8
W @ New Orl. 26 minutes 8pts 6 boards 4 assts 2 blocks.
Importantly, he started and gave great relief to Timmy Dunks in the paint.

Supergirl
03-01-2010, 11:14 PM

LOL.

It's hysterical how Blair=tall ball to so many people on the board. I love Blair, but he's one of the smallest players to be in our front court ever.

Spurs are playing the players who play the best defense. Pop has actually been very consistent. He's rewarding the players who can stay in front of athletic scorers and box out without picking up stupid fouls with playing time.

Most of the time, that means minutes for Blair, but he's foul prone right now. That also means Manu, Hill, Bogans, Parker, Dice, and Duncan will be in our rotation for a long time to come. It means RJ will be there when he's playing smart D and being aggressive on offense, which he's been the last 2 games.

Dingle Barry
03-02-2010, 12:59 AM
14-8
Stoop-a-shift Pop

:downspin:

Fabbs
03-02-2010, 01:02 AM
:downspin:
What is it you don't understand, Dingle?
Or is it Barry?

Go For Tree
03-02-2010, 01:50 AM

8-2!!

so im 4 pages late but whatever.... how the FUCK do you figure theres only one loss when he plays more than 15 minutes but 2 losses when he plays 20+ minutes? that makes no sense. i mean how can you say there are less games of 15+ minutes for him than 20+ minutes?

jjktkk
03-02-2010, 02:06 AM

Guess Fabbs is a legend in his own mind.

arakkus
03-02-2010, 09:19 AM
I love Blair and would like to see him get more minutes as well. But I do have a major concerns when I see him on the court and I think its what the coaching staff sees as well.

Despite playing with Duncan one of the best post-op players in the game he is constantly waving for a post op no matter what the play call is. The team wastes precious time waving him off and telling him to do the play. This is especially evident after he gets beat on defense which is going to happen alot because of his size its sort of a macho thing but not needed especially from a guy who should know he is the 5th option on offense. I see his game much like Marion of Dallas, no plays called for him just effort and amazing ability. Getting Off boards, playing aggressively, benefiting off Ginobili's passes. If he could learn his role in this year's Spurs I think his playing time would increase dramatically.

Fabbs
03-02-2010, 11:40 AM
^^ and yet Blair is an excellent passer. He, GNob and Duncan have had plenty of give n go type passes for the hoop. What is Poopavichs offense anyways? :bang

Blair also 4th in the entire NBA in rebounds per 48 min.

GhosTown
03-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Hells yeah.

And when we get Bogans out of the rotation then we will really be able to compete.

GhosTown
03-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Blair has to start fighting his man off the block. He doesn't do his work on the front end and he is too short to make up for it on the back end. But if he had a coach who didn't say dumb shit like "I don't know what to do with him" Then maybe someone can start working on his post defense. Blair is really strong and quick for his size, so he can actually push is man out far from the goal and use his quickness to keep him from driving on him. All things that good coaching would improve.

This guy should be on the floor as with the other young buck Ian.

GhosTown
03-02-2010, 03:58 PM
We get it, you don't like Pop.

The Spurs' improvement is not soley because Blair is playing 20+ minutes, like you imply. There are other factors to contribute to team improvement.

Manu has been playing better and better in the past couple of weeks or so, I think this is an even bigger reason.

Tony is playing better as well, much like he was last season.

Even though RJ's numbers aren't overwhelmingly huge he has done the little things pretty as of late.

McDyess coming off the bench w/Manu gives the 2nd unit a veteran inside presence.

As much as you hate Pop, his rotations are solidifying, which helps the chemistry immensely, whether you want to admit it or not.

You put better players on the court with your good players, and they seem to play even better.

in2deep
03-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Spurs record when RJ scores 20+.. 6-0

Kuestmaster
03-02-2010, 04:41 PM
This ^ deserve a thread

Fabbs
03-06-2010, 12:15 AM
16-8
Back to 2/3 wins .666
Spurs 102
Hornets 91

Blair starting and once again a huge help to Timmy Dunks in the paint.
Bolted to a 10 pt 1st qtr lead.
32 min 12 boards 10 pts on 5-7 shooting.

Smell the coffee Popped and PopApologists!

TJastal
03-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Very nice to see the spurs bolting out to leads once again, Blair should remain the starter for the time being and against the bigger teams with twin tower lineup we'll have Ratliff to help back him up. Oh wait....... :bang

Fabbs
03-06-2010, 10:51 PM
17-8
Altho DumbassOvich tried to screw this up.
Blair did not start, only 7 min for Grizzley Bear midway thru the 3rd as the halftime lead melted to three. Enter the Grizzly!
Vs Memphis:
22 min
10 pts
5 boards
3 steals :toast
1 block

Another excellent performance by Blair! :toast

Fabbs
03-14-2010, 05:56 AM
18-8 W vs Clippers 118-88 as the Spurs rolled L.A. high school.
30 minutes 8 boards 8 pts

Fabbs
03-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Spurs 147
Warriors 116
19-8
26 minutes
14 pts (5-8)
9 boards
5 assists

Greg Dumbass continues to separate Blair and Timmy Dunks but tonight it didn't matter as the whole team rolled the hapless Warriors.

vander
03-20-2010, 10:51 AM
how many of those 19 wins did Blair get to 20 minutes in garbage time?

he's probably more the beneficiary of success than the cause of it

wut
03-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Counter-point: In how many of those loses did Blair come off the bench with not enough time to make a difference?

Blair should've started in that Orlando game. Orlando very early on established that we had no speed to get in front of any of their bigs. Huge mistake for Pop...and what's worse is that I don't think Pop even noticed.

Setting the tone is crucial.

yavozerb
03-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Blair really has been playing pretty poorly over the last couple of weeks. No way blair should start against any NBA playoff team since his defense is below average against bigs.

Fabbs
03-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Counter-point: In how many of those loses did Blair come off the bench with not enough time to make a difference?

Blair should've started in that Orlando game. Orlando very early on established that we had no speed to get in front of any of their bigs. Huge mistake for Pop...and what's worse is that I don't think Pop even noticed.

Setting the tone is crucial.
Excellent.
The uniformed squakers are unaware that Blair played a good portion of the 1st half and 3rd qrts too in most of the 19 wins.
And as you pointed out, he was stuck to the bench and unable to make any difference in many of the losses.

yavozerb
Blair really has been playing pretty poorly over the last couple of weeks. No way blair should start against any NBA playoff team since his defense is below average against bigs.
He has? Blair has been forced to play center with Matt Bonehead as help in the paint and also oftentimes without GNob, whom the two get along fabulously on the court. Please.

Yeah lets go with Matt Bonner instead of Blair alongside Timmy Dunks. :downspin:

vander
03-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Blair also has a negative on-court/off-court
(meaning the team is more successful when he in off the court than on)

you say Bonner is dragging him down, yet Bonner has a great on-court/off-court (leads the Spurs again this year)

what this means is that Bonner is actually helping Blair, the minutes they share on the court are lowering Bonner's on-court/off-court and raising Blair's

Spurs play best with Bonner, if you can't see it, you don't know shit about team basketball and you need to just go back to watching street ball or dunk contests or something...

:wakeup

Fabbs
03-20-2010, 06:23 PM

you say Bonner is dragging him down, yet Bonner has a great on-court/off-court (leads the Spurs again this year)

what this means is that Bonner is actually helping Blair, the minutes they share on the court are lowering Bonner's on-court/off-court and raising Blair's

Spurs play best with Bonner, if you can't see it, you don't know shit about team basketball and you need to just go back to watching street ball or dunk contests or something...

Mod(s),
Classic post thread please.

Fabbs
03-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Record when Blair gets 30+ min per game.
5-2

*Including the 28 point 21 rebound effort vs OKCity. :toast

Buddy Holly
03-21-2010, 01:53 PM

Prime example of why you shouldn't smoke crack when pregnant.

vander
03-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Prime example of why you shouldn't smoke crack when pregnant.

raise the bar :rolleyes

I'd like to hear your take on the on-court/off-court stat
I'd love to hear how outscoring your opponent is not indicative of success :lmao

Fabbs
03-26-2010, 10:21 PM
20-8
Spurs 102
Cavs 97
21 minutes
7 boards (3 O)
6 pts
2 assists

Fabbs
03-29-2010, 02:54 PM
21-8
Spurs 94
Celts 73
21 minutes
11 boards (7 O)
7 pts
1 very nice block.

DumbAssovich again refused to let Blair play with Duncan, and made Blair play center (again) with the scrubs. Dick Jefferson actually put forth some effort for once and by the time the late 3rd rolled around, the Spurs had a nice lead.
Then again they've blown plenty of leads so i do not discount the Grizzleys contributions.
Blair did get 7 minutes in the 1st half.

Fabbs
04-11-2010, 02:20 AM
22-8
23-8
vs the Kings and Nuggets.

Oh wait, Popazit only gave Blair 19 minutes in each......:downspin:

21-8 :rolleyes

Fabbs
04-12-2010, 10:53 PM
22-8
25 min 4pts 6 boards +18 while in.

Coach Numb Nutts finally let Ian Manhinmi get some burn and he and Blair looked great together. Granted vs the tanking Wolves but still....

TampaDude
04-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Blair is a beast...he was the SOTD.

Fabbs
04-15-2010, 02:05 AM
22-9
27 pts 23 boards in 37 minutes as Dumbassovich let Blair play.

Who knows what could have been if a real coach had given Blair minutes the entire season.

UnWantedTheory
04-15-2010, 03:15 AM
I love the variety of Pop names...keeps it cute I suppose.

Fabbs
04-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Or the Grizzly Blair swatting the heads off of Pop and his PopApologists would be, neigh is cute.

anakha
04-15-2010, 12:39 PM
23-8

22-8

So you're counting that last game as a win? :lol

dbestpro
04-15-2010, 02:44 PM
23-8
27 pts 23 boards in 37 minutes as Dumbassovich let Blair play.

Who knows what could have been if a real coach had given Blair minutes the entire season.

True! Maybe Blair would have learned how to play post defense by now. Blair is a stat maching for rebounds and points, but his turnovers, and inability to stop the opposing post player on a consistant basis are his biggest problems. More minutes may or may not fix that. As they say, the one thing you can't teach is height.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 03:38 PM
So you're counting that last game as a win? :lolThat's funny, right there.

sonic21
04-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Spurs are 2-0 when Ian gets +20 mins. :tu

Mal
04-15-2010, 03:58 PM

No wonder, Ian plays only in total blowouts.

Fabbs
04-15-2010, 05:40 PM
So you're counting that last game as a win? :lol
Yes numb nutts, I'm counting the Dallas game as a win. As i am the game before it.

Fabbs
04-15-2010, 05:42 PM
True that. Would have been nice to see what the Ian Spurs record would have been in November and forward with a dose of 20+s.

But looking back, the important thing is Chump and Anakha got to snuggle while watching Mike Finley rack up all those minutes. :lol

anakha
04-15-2010, 08:14 PM
True that. Would have been nice to see what the Ian Spurs record would have been in November and forward with a dose of 20+s.

But looking back, the important thing is Chump and Anakha got to snuggle while watching Mike Finley rack up all those minutes. :lol

:lol at resorting to the old, tired, 'you're all Popapologists' retort when you actually have to make up stats to prove whatever point you think you have.

The Truth #6
04-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Fabbs may fudge some numbers but when Blair has a breakout game we usually do well. Now, I think Blair should have gotten some more minutes earlier in the season. I think Pop held Blair back some, but that may possibly have been to motivate him. When he was uncaged he would have some phenomenal games. However, I don't think Blair could have kept this up every game. I think Pop wanted consistency but instead Blair was really good or really below average depending on the game, but that's to be expected with a young rookie. The fact that he had some incredible games suggests that if he works on his consistency and improves some weaknesses (jump shooting, free throw shooting, passing, low post game) he could be a special player.

Pop would say he never coached Blair so I'm curious what approach they did take towards him. In the end, yeah some more minutes would have been great but I'm glad that Pop generally stayed out of Blair's way and let him do things his own way and play to his strengths when he was out there.

Fabbs
04-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Fabbs may fudge some numbers but when Blair has a breakout game we usually do well. Now, I think Blair should have gotten some more minutes earlier in the season. I think Pop held Blair back some, but that may possibly have been to motivate him. When he was uncaged he would have some phenomenal games. However, I don't think Blair could have kept this up every game. I think Pop wanted consistency but instead Blair was really good or really below average depending on the game, but that's to be expected with a young rookie. The fact that he had some incredible games suggests that if he works on his consistency and improves some weaknesses (jump shooting, free throw shooting, passing, low post game) he could be a special player.

Pop would say he never coached Blair so I'm curious what approach they did take towards him. In the end, yeah some more minutes would have been great but I'm glad that Pop generally stayed out of Blair's way and let him do things his own way and play to his strengths when he was out there.
Possible too Popped was limiting his knees, but i doubt that as Popped would play him back to back, ie 30 min then 22 the next night.
22-9 is still excellent, esp given that several of the losses were in Beastly perfomances that Blair certainly was not the cause of the loss. Just like this Dallas finale. Soft Dick and Bonner combined for like 1-11 and 0-9 on treys to go with their usual nonexistent defense.

Real question is what will 'Zit now do with Blairs playoff minutes?

Fabbs
04-15-2010, 08:58 PM
:lol at resorting to the old, tired, 'you're all Popapologists' retort when you actually have to make up stats to prove whatever point you think you have.
anakhaTroll You're right about the Dallas game. :lol:lol
I got so caught up in Blairs performance i counted it as a win. :toast:downspin:
Oh now i get how you and Humpy were extactic.

Onward.
This is a positive thread showing Grizzly Blairs demonstrated beastly abilities.

manu the best
04-15-2010, 09:28 PM
.. his not going to get much mins. in this playoffs .. he still does not have the trust of pop ..

anakha
04-16-2010, 06:59 AM
anakhaTroll You're right about the Dallas game. :lol:lol
I got so caught up in Blairs performance i counted it as a win. :toast:downspin:
Oh now i get how you and Humpy were extactic.

Onward.
This is a positive thread showing Grizzly Blairs demonstrated beastly abilities.

If you'd gotten your facts straight in the first place, there would have been no need to call anything out.

But sure, call me a troll if you want, whatever helps you sleep at night. :lol

Manufan909
04-16-2010, 07:59 AM
True! Maybe Blair would have learned how to play post defense by now. Blair is a stat maching for rebounds and points, but his turnovers, and inability to stop the opposing post player on a consistant basis are his biggest problems. More minutes may or may not fix that. As they say, the one thing you can't teach is height.

One thing you can teach is defense. Chuck Hayes is an extraordinary low post defender, and iirc he's 2" shorter than Dejuan, and has shorter arms. Plus, DJB has proven he can mix it up with some traditional bigs in the league (Boozer, and Kaman off the top of my head), he just needs to have that mindset every night, kinda like Bogans. Just don't let your opponent get comfortable, or set up where he wants or anything like that.

Oh, and if you're going to count all of his faults, count all of his positives, like spatial awareness, passing out of the paint (it annoys me when he does this instead of going strong, but he always passes to someone wide open who usually makes the shot), steals, and chem with Manu. His positives outweigh Bonner's positives, as well as with his negatives, but overall he just brings more to the table.

Manufan909
04-16-2010, 08:59 AM

I wish I could make thoughtful, eloquent posts like this:toast, but my bromance is just too huge, and it blinds me. I know Blair makes his fair share of rookie mistakes, but if Bonner is shooting less than 35%, I hope Pop decides to see if he gets hot and waits. I'd rather he take that approach with Blair, and maybe have them COMPETE. No reason to give a shooting big minutes cuz he's the only one if he blows. Blair's the only one who is consistently tearing ass in the paint, so he is unique too.

EmptyMan
04-16-2010, 09:00 AM

lmao! QFT

\