PDA

View Full Version : Iggy vs Butler for TMac?

noob cake
01-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Which one is better for the Rockets?

I don't know why Morey is pursuing (or is being offered) SF's. We have Batman and The Blacksmith at SF.

DAF86
01-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Butler > AI

but Iguodala is younger.

noob cake
01-01-2010, 07:24 PM
If we get either, we need to trade Battier away to a contender.

Venti Quattro
01-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Butler and Iguodala can play 2-guard. Same with Ariza and Battier so it's a non-issue for Morey IMO.

Adelman can mix and match; whoever is playing well will get his PT.

Venti Quattro
01-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Why would you do that? You need him vs elite 2's and 3's.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-01-2010, 07:27 PM
I'd take Iggy. Still a small chance he'll get better, he doesn't miss 30 games every year, and is just in general less of a pussy than Butler.

noob cake
01-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Why would you do that? You need him vs elite 2's and 3's.

Because we can't have three quality SF's on the same team trying to play SG part time.

lil_penny
01-01-2010, 07:29 PM
I'd take Iggy. Still a small chance he'll get better, he doesn't miss 30 games every year, and is just in general less of a pussy than Butler.

Venti Quattro
01-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Because we can't have three quality SF's on the same team trying to play SG part time.
Houston can. If there's any team that I have stopped doubting this year, It's the Rockets

Muser
01-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Iggy, if Battier was put on the market he'd be ideal on the Spurs. Shame Houston wouldn't trade to divission rivals like we do..

Double-Up
01-01-2010, 07:32 PM
I would rather Butler and a pick/filler because he expires after next season. Iggy on the other hand is on a long term deal.

TIMMYD!
01-01-2010, 08:31 PM

How about you do us a favor for giving you Scola?:hat

HarlemHeat37
01-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Iguodala is a much better player than Butler, especially now..Butler has looked very bad this season, and it hasn't been due to injury..you also have to consider the fact that he DOES get hurt a lot, so it's a no-brainer..

Iguodala and Ariza defending and slashing on the perimeter is kind of scary..well if Ariza would stop shooting 30 times a game of course..

Lars
01-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Iggy, if Battier was put on the market he'd be ideal on the Spurs. Shame Houston wouldn't trade to divission rivals like we do..

What are you talking about, we gifted you Vspan for some overseas scrub. :downspin:

mogrovejo
01-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Iguodala and it's not even close. There are 2 sides on the floor and Butler is only at Iguodala's level in one of them.

Chieflion
01-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Iggy is a better player than Butler. He is also younger. This year, he is also their playmaker and he is underrated at that aspect of the game.

Darthkiller
01-01-2010, 10:59 PM
brooks iggy ariza scola Dalembert
bench: landry, battier, hayes, buddinger.

djohn2oo8
01-01-2010, 11:27 PM
You have to take Igoudala, because he is young and still developing, and the dude is clutch. What Morey is doing here is saying "This is what we want for McGrady, and we will not accept anything less", which is smart because they know these teams are struggling financially and need to make a deal based on economics and not talent. He is going to speak to all the teams first and say this is what we have on the table, now offer us something just as good as, or better than that. But, ultimately I think Iggy ends up a Rocket before the deadline

DOMINATOR
01-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Iggy, i think he has better handles than butler.
really basketball has 3 positions point, swing man, post. almost no difference in 2/3 except its good to have at least 1 of them be able to handle the ball.

brooks/lowry
iggy/c-bud
ariza/battier
scola/landry
dalembert/hayes/andersen

damn adelman would have a field day if he could get ariza/iggy slashing together.

The Franchise
01-02-2010, 01:42 AM
Butler is just as injury prone as T-Mac so no thank you. Iggy is better and younger than him anyway.

Indazone
01-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Batman is untouchable the way Morey evaulates players. Why would we want the Wizards cancers anyhow?

djohn2oo8
01-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Apparently Milwaukee now wants in on the sweepstakes...They are contemplating an offer of Redd/Alexander/First Round Pick for McGrady...

JUST SAY HELL N0 MOREY!!!

Rogue
01-02-2010, 09:47 AM
sup djohn my nigga?

djohn2oo8
01-02-2010, 10:01 AM
sup djohn my nigga?

:hat Nothin much brother, u?

GuerillaBlack
01-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Iguodala >> Butler. Iggy is younger, has more upside, plays great defense and is better than Butler offensively. He also is an iron man. I think he's missed only five games throughout his career so far, IIRC. Trade proposal:

http://i45.tinypic.com/23kw028.jpg

Double-Up
01-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Iguodala >> Butler. Iggy is younger, has more upside, plays great defense and is better than Butler offensively. He also is an iron man. I think he's missed only five games throughout his career so far, IIRC. Trade proposal:

http://i45.tinypic.com/23kw028.jpg

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

JamStone
01-02-2010, 11:02 AM
I agree with whoever said both Iguodala and Butler can play the 2-guard and effectively. If there is anything important in terms of the difference between a player caught between the 2-guard and the small forward positions, it's whether the player can defend the other position effectively. With both Iguodala and Butler, they can effectively defend the 2-guard position. It's not even a question. Both have ball handling skills and both can score. I don't see an issue with either playing primarily the 2-guard. Butler should have been playing 2-guard his whole career if you ask me. Iguodala might have an inconsistent jumper, but he's still more of a 2-guard than a small forward to me as well.

The Rockets have already been playing Ariza a lot at the 2, so I don't see why there would be an issue doing the same with either Butler or Iguodala. In fact, that's a really nice group of wing players with Butler, Ariza, and Battier, each playing about 30-35 mpg.

I actually think Caron Butler is a better player than Iguodala. Butler hasn't had a great year, but when he's right, he has a better jumper, he's got a bigger arsenal of ways to score like posting up or attacking the offensive glass. He's not quite the defender but is still above average, and with his poor play this year, his value might be low so he might cost less than Iguodala. Iguodala is a better ball handler and slightly better playmaker, but it's not as big a difference as some might think. When Caron has had to be a facilitator on offense, like the previous couple seasons, he'd put up 7-8 assist games easily. He averaged 4-5 assists the previous two seasons.

Iguodala is like 4 years younger though. So that might be a big factor.

But, personally, I don't know why either Washington or Philly would trade for T-Mac's contract. Even if they are blowing things up, both Butler and Iguodala have to have more value than just an expiring contract and maybe a draft pick.

GuerillaBlack
01-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Iggy's age is the dealbreaker, even with his contract. Iggy, at 25, is just entering the prime of his career. That's why his long contract isn't so bad.

djohn2oo8
01-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I agree with whoever said both Iguodala and Butler can play the 2-guard and effectively. If there is anything important in terms of the difference between a player caught between the 2-guard and the small forward positions, it's whether the player can defend the other position effectively. With both Iguodala and Butler, they can effectively defend the 2-guard position. It's not even a question. Both have ball handling skills and both can score. I don't see an issue with either playing primarily the 2-guard. Butler should have been playing 2-guard his whole career if you ask me. Iguodala might have an inconsistent jumper, but he's still more of a 2-guard than a small forward to me as well.

The Rockets have already been playing Ariza a lot at the 2, so I don't see why there would be an issue doing the same with either Butler or Iguodala. In fact, that's a really nice group of wing players with Butler, Ariza, and Battier, each playing about 30-35 mpg.

I actually think Caron Butler is a better player than Iguodala. Butler hasn't had a great year, but when he's right, he has a better jumper, he's got a bigger arsenal of ways to score like posting up or attacking the offensive glass. He's not quite the defender but is still above average, and with his poor play this year, his value might be low so he might cost less than Iguodala. Iguodala is a better ball handler and slightly better playmaker, but it's not as big a difference as some might think. When Caron has had to be a facilitator on offense, like the previous couple seasons, he'd put up 7-8 assist games easily. He averaged 4-5 assists the previous two seasons.

Iguodala is like 4 years younger though. So that might be a big factor.

But, personally, I don't know why either Washington or Philly would trade for T-Mac's contract. Even if they are blowing things up, both Butler and Iguodala have to have more value than just an expiring contract and maybe a draft pick.

It's more about economics than talent. For example, Philly makes like 500,000 a game, the Rockets make $1,000,000 per game, the difference in attendance is crippling Philly and Washington amongst other teams as well. Philly wants to and HAS to get rid of either Dalembert or Brand's contract to become relevant again. To do that, they HAVE to give up Igoudala because they cannot build around him if they can't free up money, and any deal including Dalembet without Andre will not lead to any team taking his contract.

GuerillaBlack
01-02-2010, 11:44 AM
It's more about economics than talent. For example, Philly makes like 500,000 a game, the Rockets make $1,000,000 per game, the difference in attendance is crippling Philly and Washington amongst other teams as well. Philly wants to and HAS to get rid of either Dalembert or Brand's contract to become relevant again. To do that, they HAVE to give up Igoudala because they cannot build around him if they can't free up money, and any deal including Dalembet without Andre will not lead to any team taking his contract.

Plus, Philly's young guys aren't bad, which is why Morey wants at least one of them. With their lottery pick (John Wall sweepstakes) and if McGrady is traded there, his contract comes off at the end of the season. That's a lot for them to work with.