PDA

View Full Version : Who wins bidding war for Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman?

Fabbs
01-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Of course the NY Skunkies are in the running.
Red Sox too.
LA Angels.
Toronto.
Probably half of mlb.

Who realistically signs him. You know the Skunkies are going to make the price sky high. Kid just changed agents. Some scuttlebut he has made friends with the Angels 1st baseman, a Cuban. I hope so.

Rip-Hamilton32
01-02-2010, 07:02 PM
it would be nice if he came to Toronto give us someone besides Lind and Hill to cheer for

K-State Spur
01-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Based upon the past success of Cuban pitching defectors who have received big contracts, I'm not sure anybody "wins".

RedsLakers24
01-11-2010, 02:49 PM
yes, the reds aquired him, this totally suprised me

Fabbs
01-18-2010, 11:37 AM
yes, the reds aquired him, this totally suprised me
After all the hype he signs for only 30 mil over 6 years.
1st three years only 1, 2, and 2 million.

Why did the rich teams pass?

EricB
01-24-2010, 10:50 PM
After all the hype he signs for only 30 mil over 6 years.
1st three years only 1, 2, and 2 million.

Why did the rich teams pass?

Maybe because he's not that good?

TheTruth
01-25-2010, 09:20 AM

THURSDAY, 2:39pm: MLBTR has learned that the Cubs and White Sox have expressed interest in free agenty lefty Aroldis Chapman. The Cardinals have been more aggressive than those clubs, and plan to meet with Chapman next week. The Yankees and Red Sox, of course, have also been among the aggressive suitors. A meeting with the Mets will come later this week, according to Newsday's David Lennon.

Cards went after him pretty agressively.

Reason his price tag was not near as high as DiceK's or other Japanese born players is that he is a relative unkown. Not many scouts from america are welcome at Cuban League games. His money was in line with the most hyped pitchers from Cuba.

Jose Contreras signed for 4 years and 30 million, and he was the most decorated and hyped cuban pitcher of the last 50 years.

Fabbs
01-25-2010, 09:44 AM
like that's ever stopped the rich teams before.

I'm still waiting for an answer on your modeling.

The Truth, thanks for the input and money stats. I'm still baffled as to none of the richies taking a flyer on him. When look at the dough they shell out for previous failures.